[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Guest adjani1430293095

Er, I am not shipping any couple and I hope I ain't going to offend anyone with my comments  8-|. If so, forgive me.
Well, do remember that this drama is about the WOMAN who became an Empress and her relationships and loyalty to 2 different countries. 
There are historical references to which the drama is based on and therefore, the PD and writer(s) can choose to adhere or deviate from. These references may limit what ends up in the "relationships" or how this is shaped in the drama and the scenes that will be used to portray those. 
My sense of it is this, there is a clear triangle afterall, and she may have loved both men (that's my guess) and in those days, loyalties count for a lot, especially for a woman like SY. There is also the issue about power ... she is clearly a woman who is intelligent and uses "her power" to achieve her aims (noble country related type and relationship/loyalty related, plus self preservation related). 
Maybe she really ends up as Empress because of what she can achieve and so its about Power (shrug), maybe she does also love "Baby Emperor", it is clearly a possibility considering the things he has done/will do for her. As for her love for WG, well, he is her first love, no matter what happens, he will be her first love. More likely, its a combination of everything, love, affection for Baby Emperor, power to change things as Empress or maybe there are changes that shape her relationship/feelings for these 2 men and the 2 countries (we are only half way through the drama at least, nevermind history is already set in stone!)
We can all recall that first crush/love that we have in our life and whether we marry that first love (generally not), we will always remember it, so how she remembers being with and in love with WY is not hard to understand, despite marrying Baby Emperor. 
Why don't we put aside ratings (affected by tons of reasons)) which oft does not have anything to do with shippers (whichever side you are on), acting skills or writing. Ratings are ratings, just like awards. 
Let's enjoy the drama, the acting and see how the writers carve out this love triangle and the relationships of this woman who is clearly loved by 2 very incredible men! (Rather fortunate! or unfortunate depending on the angle - oh wait there is whats his name El Terror's son as well who also is enamoured) :P ....   

Guest Ding Lin

I have to respectfully disagree with you! 

If the rating drops were due to WY+SN, why did the ratings increase from Episode 17-20? Especially, the rating of Episode 20 increase by 1.2%.  Many media were attributed to the rating increase to the kissing/bed scenes between WY+SN. 
In fact, many have predicted that there would have been major scenes between TH-SN in Episode 21. It is simply because the production team would like to balance two ships after the major WY-SN events in Episode 20.  

Last week, some people said that the rating would drop after WY-SN had sex.  Then, people said that the rating would increase significantly  after the underwater kissing between TH-SN last night. 
Today, we saw that the rating increased moderately by 0.5%.  What should we believe? 

The rating still increased after WY and SN had sex?  Or, the kissing scene between TH-SN was not as good as the kissing  scene between WY-SN?  
You got my point.  People could say whatever they like about ratings.
I am having fun here, because people from different ships respect one another.  I really hope things could remain that way.  Please do not use things like rating drops to attack the ship that you do not support! 

>Maybe the underwater scene is a sign that the writers have given up on the WY + SN ship because they have been pushing it for about 1 month and the ratings still haven't recovered from when they started pushing it. 

Guest adjani1430293095

Forgot to add, ratings are also affected by whether people are "available" to be watching the drama or distracted by something else major (holiday, other major shows/events) so ratings are just ratings....a general basis/guideline that indicates whether a drama is of a "taste" to the general masses only, or more a "niche" drama. It is not the end all ok guys and as for shipping, both sides will have supporters and detractors, clearly and she is "caught" and loved by 2 men (or maybe more) and thats why this drama is fascinating isn't it, this woman loved by many, why is she loved by many, the drama attempts to show I guess :) 

OMG this is extremely disappointing, is torture!  My regular source for Chinese subs has not updated the subs yet, so now I have the raw file, with no subs.  I think I'm just going to watch it raw with no subs.
Seeing all these screen captures is killing me!!!
This definitely is a sageuk version of WHIB.  One episode our leading lady is kissing one male lead, the next episode she's kissing the other male lead.
Wait, wait, wait....are you guys saying that SN and WY slept together???  NO WAY! That was so not obvious, they only slept in the same bed together, that was a slumber party, no??? :P
By the way, I see Hong Dan in one of those new BTS stills, I hope she doesn't die as well.  She was like SN's only friend in the palace, if she dies, it just gives SN more reason to go back to the palace for revenge.  Not that she wouldn't if it was just LP who dies, but now she'll have lost a close friend in the palace who she could talk to and trust.
I don't think DS is pregnant, but if she is, she's definitely going to have a miscarriage.  That incense prevents pregnancy, but it' doesn't work 100%, kind of like a condom, or a pill, I guess ED didn't read the disclaimers.
If she did get pregnant after smelling all that incense, and continue to smell it, that baby is a definite goner.  
This is probably the set up for when DS takes SN's baby away as her own IF that love child plot comes to play as some people have read spoilers from the novel.  
Should we prepare for a baby shower?  Wait....who should we throw the baby shower for?  SN, DS, or LP?

Guest suwan1430273820

@vu_hoa1983: you can't leave us ! Thank you though for talking on behalf of us. That post was very well said, like always.

Most of the time, we don't voice our opinion when there's an immature comment like that because it's just a waste of time & will just create unneccessary arguments. let's just all ignore those posts and keep calm and keep enjoying our ship.
please don't let it affect you too much or you'll cough up blood like El terror & El Golden ! & i'm serious, you gotta stay with us & keep us strong when the wind is too strong or the waves are too big !

Guest hunterdd

^^ Just want the cliffhanger at the end of episode 19 was ET "dying", so maybe some viewers watched episode 20 to find the outcome of the major villian "dying".

I've never cared for ratings... actually just as I've liked shows with high ratings I've also enjoyed shows that end up being cancelled... This is the entertainment industry. They do their best to... keep us entertained.
So at least myself, as long as I enjoy the show, I will continue watching it and giving it my support. If the show continues or gets extended: awesome! if it gets cut or cancelled: well, so be it... I enjoyed the ride.
EK It's just a show. It distracts me from my routine. It gives me my weekly fix of JJM. To me it has a great story, good photography, great cast, and of course... JJM 
Pick your battles. I'm certainly not picking the "rating-shiping" battle. Life is too short. 
:)>-

Guest ghollygina22

Nooooo!!! @vu_hoa1983!!!
I need your posts!!!  It gives me hope for my WY & SN ship!!!  :(( like @suwan said you keep us going!!!!   :(  don't leave us behind!!!!!!!!!

Guest adjani1430293095

Chelsea: Indeed, for some historical drama, they keep getting their shirts off don't they.... "_" reminds me a bit of the Chinese hit, Lan Ling Wang, where the fans dubbed it "the 6" for the six good looking dudes in the drama... and trust me that one bath scene cannot rival our baby emperor's "off shoulder" only scene :P And er.. why are the eunuchs so well built ... *giggle*.... are they there for the women in the palace or the men *snigger* (sorry.. totally totally off on a trajectory of my own!) 

Guest ghollygina22

@stclaus
OMG i just noticed your signature/banner (at the bottom of your profile, idk what you call it) "-Forever Young and official Consort of King Wang Yoo-" LMAO!!! OH NOOOOO!!!  How do I sign up to be a part of Warrior King Wang Yoo's harem???  I need to do an "EMPRESS KI" and work my way up the ranks!!!!
WANG YOOOOOOOOO!!! Wait for me!!!

Statements regarding ships and their correlation to ratings are clearly unfounded because this is not solely a romantic drama. The story is about a Goryeo tribute who becomes Yuan empress. The ups and downs of the ratings are not based on ships but the events that are taking place in the drama. Just to lay the groundwork here weekday dramas do not get high ratings, a successful week day drama can get ratings of 17% and the staff will pop the champagne. On weekdays people are busy, so what does that tell us about the drama? the writers have masterfully put together an enticing story where people with different tastes, especially in terms of love interest can gather around and just enjoy or even debate about certain things. Everyone's passion about their respective ships and as well as those non-shippers who are straddling the fence are proof positive that the love-lines are appealing to a broad spectrum of people, which is hard to come by with just one otp. I think whether we have a ship or not we should be able to appreciate the fine details that are placed into this relationship. If you notice the patterning the writers always try to even things out. This is a device that goes beyond just fan service and appeasing ships but it makes us wonder about who she will end up with, and it encourages us to strike up a conversation about different aspects of the show so that the audience will remain interested as well as anticipate what will occur next especially on Tuesday's after the show airs and we must wait until Monday. Normally when I see love triangles in a drama, it is often use as a meaningless plot device that act as fillers because it accomplishes nothing. However here TH-SN-WY is an actual plot device that helps to push the drama forward. However the fluctuations in the rating have no real connection to the events that take place in either ships, as a matter of fact it is these ships that are probably keeping this ship alive. As much as I like the political strategies involved after a while, if there is no balance it all runs together. Someone mentioned that the ratings began to decrease after WY showed up, but someone else argued that WY showing up was the highest watched scene. We should not think that WY showing up is only about SN, remember, the man is on a mission to get his throne back. One interesting aspect of WY appearance in the palace was about how he will get his throne back (and people want to see how this will happen, hence the ratings rise for that ep), with this we are later presented with a new story line: the blood letter. However the ratings dipped a bit, not surprising with the holiday season in Korea, but in terms of the respective ships there were no true major development in the romantic aspects of their relationship. there was more of a focus on the blood letter, and yes we got little snippets of things like the mother bird analogy and the shadow puppet tug of war scene, but these are only baby steps in regards to what each respective ship wants. It was these crumbs that shippers had to survive on while each character was embroiled in a major aspect of the show: politics. However, the small dips are not surprising when it only looked like WY was going to be stuck in psychological/political games limbo forever.  Yet scenes of WY-SN confirmation of their love, an anticipated moment especially by those curious about the lovechild plot, boosted their ratings . The whole proposal and bed scene were something major that happened, it would be odd that the ratings went up. Even if someone wanted to point their finger and say "ooh scandalous," you should also recognize Koreans love this kind of stuff, the what, some might view as "scandalous" aspects of a drama is what they often called weekend dramas in Korea, ppl love their makjang and their is no end to the birth secret story, no matter how scandalous that is, hence the phrase "drama." Also, there are those questioning if WY-SN brought ratings down why didn't the TH-SN scene bring a jump in ratings. First of all there was an increase in ratings, but I think that the ratings would've dipped a bit because of all the political things going on especially since our main leads were taking major hits today, that last scene was a high note in the episode. Also note if the ratings were just based on WY-SN the ratings should theoretically tank, because they got temporarily seperated today, and that CPR kiss happened. However no such thing occurred, the ratings are steadily going up again because the story itself is picking up again.
@vu_hoa1983 I disagree with you on one point, that kiss was not just fan-service, yes it had some beautiful elements that serve as fan service but that is only the part and not the whole. That CPR kiss was also needed to save her life, as you recall she ran out of air. The entire situation has also shown that at least when SN is involved TH will risk his life for her. To save his neck he could have simply let her drown, but if he did their would be an early end to the show right? lol. The situation was urgent and therefore necessary, I would say almost as important, if not more, because even if you are in favor of the love child plot you must keep SN alive. If you disagree, I hope you will say so because this place is about freely discussing things, and sharing our thoughts. Do not feel too bothered by others opinions because as you have said their are those who share your opinions and there are others who will benefit from your insight, so let us have fun posting ok.    :)>-  :-bd

hi i am not sure if you guys are aware that the scriptwriters are actually a pair of husband n wife. The wife writes the WY part and the husnand writes the TH part.

So if you are wondering why the split personalities in the script,thats e reason.

altho i hv my own preference i would hate to start arguments in this thread.

the only way i can suggest is for the respective shipper to practice selective reading,much like fwding a part of e video if you dont like e part.

just read e post relevant to your ship n dont read e rest.sometimes i do that too.

Guest FateD1430293421

rinchan76...That CPR kiss...

Either a CPR or a kiss but since she was unconscious let's go with CPR shall we =))

@rinchan76
^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

I also do think that the story kind of slowed down the past few episodes before if picked up again in episode 19 until yesterday. We were spoiled by the drama's fast pace in the beginning, but the slowing down of the story is necessary to lay down the foundation for the next plot lines. I am happy that the story is picking up its pace again.

@qwenli oh wow really? Looks like the wife is a bit more conservative then since TH-SN non-romantic scenes (cave, bath tub) has shown more skin than WY-SN romantic ones...

I demand showing of WY's skin!!! Even SN showed more skin than him.
:-w :-w :-w

Oh my my, they have too much to read this time, yes i got my beautiful ep 21 in 720p and i got plenty a chance to keep rewatch and rape the button rew to see the cpr kiss, ok im done. I happy with this gif from PDnins thank you so much really grateful for this beautiful visual scene. I ALSO wanna kiss my boyfriend Under water but wow is really hard to do it LOL FIGHTING SN x TH

They must to have a special Equipment for to make this scene and truly hard also. BRAVO HA JI WON AND JCW for this excellent acting because im sure WY X SN shippers clan did like it too.

ok some will said this isnt a kiss is a cpr or a forced kiss (i love forced kiss ...miam) lol but lip touch lip is lip touch lip you cannot change that.

I do feel this kiss more hotty than WY kiss. That my opinion im sure everyone did think about it.

Seriously, TH (aka TOO HOT) ARE YOU REALLY NAKED UNDER THE WATER? WILL SN SEE IT THEN O.O ohhhhhhhh LOL :D :D :D

Anyway, im really happy for my shipping clan for this episode and now be anxious about the next ep .....tomorrow ep 22 hm...really wanna sleep will continue my thesis when i got episode 22.

I will READ all of you later and click on all post for insigh, awesome and lol later ...my head is full now lol

before i go.....

@vu_hua1983

please dont go, you analyse is excellent and i will love to hang on with you too, sure we are in different shipping but we are a big family

:x

@Da Ling

where did you see the rating in baibu? i know mostly chinese people gonna choose yuan because is china. i choose th not because im chinese but just love him :x  :x  thank for up the rating :)

now im concentrate how i will accept SN pregnant for the next eps....my heart seem dont wanna know o.o ...scareeeeeee

ps in french : LOIN des yeux, loin du cœur WY fait attention, tu ne devrais pas laisser partir SN. Si tu voulais vraiment la garder pour toi tout seul, t'aurais du la prendre avec toi avec force . Maintenant TH pourras la garder pour lui même SN. L'erreur est humaine.....

SEE YOU ALL LATER :))

Guest ghollygina22

suwan said: ghollygina22 said: @stclaus
OMG i just noticed your signature/banner (at the bottom of your profile, idk what you call it) "-Forever Young and official Consort of King Wang Yoo-" LMAO!!! OH NOOOOO!!!  How do I sign up to be a part of Warrior King Wang Yoo's harem???  I need to do an "EMPRESS KI" and work my way up the ranks!!!!
WANG YOOOOOOOOO!!! Wait for me!!!