[Drama 2012] Five Fingers (다섯손가락)

cherkell

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect that the bit quoted was an attempt to inject some half-way sensible reference to "Five Fingers" into the script long after the title had been decided.

Krama titles are often only tenuously related to plot or character. Mainly, I think, because the choice of title is strongly influenced by the marketing guys at a very early stage of planning (and they sometimes get changed again before shooting begins because those same marketing people had second thoughts)

The aim seems to be to grab the interest of potential viewers, and for dramas like this, of overseas networks who may be induced to sign up for the rights before the drama is actually shot, though that rarely works). Marketing people seem to think there are two distinct ways of grabbing such interest: a title associated already with some classic or cult movie or show; or a title that was already used for a successful drama a few years back (this seems to reflect the belief in East Asian cultures in auspicious names for children).

Arthouse movie buffs will be familiar with Five Fingers as the title of a 2006 UAE-produced polit-psycho-thriller that went down well at major festivals but tanked in mainstream theaters. I won't go into why Five Fingers was a highly appropriate reason for the title in that case: suffice  it to say that reason was gruesome and had nothing to do with piano playing. My guess is that at least the germ of the title idea came from there, since it's a movie that industry insiders found technically very interesting.

I think title does not play that important role (if that's what the marketing people think). I think overseas networks interested more in the cast.. who in it and also may be the writer but mostly I think the cast play important role in grabbing overseas interest.
That the reason I don't quite understand why title for Rain's movie has to be changed like a million times, The Red Muffler, return to base and finally Soar Into The sun.... 
Sorry for my crappy english... :D

Hi guys..I missed a lot writing in this thread lately due to my college life :D
The show ended, the ending was good to me, I think that was the best ending for this show. I wanna give my big applause for all of them.
All cast and crew have done the best job from their heart and soul for "Five Fingers" from the very beginning until the end
=D>

This time also the time to me to say many thanks for all your support and concern for 5F from the very beginning until the end yesterday. I'm so glad "Five Fingers" was able to entertain Korean viewers and international viewers. As Jihun's fan, I'm very glad and grateful because his comeback drama was acceptable lovely by many people in Korea and International. 
I believe jihun have done the best job as he could from his heart and soul for 5F, although may there were some flaw in him to portray as Yoo Ji-Ho. I have to say in 5F his acting skill is totally improving.
I also wanna say many thanks for runningmoon, Amy, DC jugal, Gung7, and other Jihun's fan sites who have been providing news, photos, videos, and all information regarding 5F and Jihun. Thank you @CherKell for making this amazing thread so we all can share our thoughts here. I'm so glad they introduced me "Your Precious" and so glad they introduced me the great actress, "Chai Si Ra Noona" (The special call of The Boys for CSR
;)) ).  
Many thanks to all fans of 5F cast; all Hunnies, Ji Chang wook's fans, Jin Se Yeon's fans, Ham Eunjung's fans and all K-Drama lovers + Viki for their supports and concern toward "Five Fingers" since the very beginning until now. It's a nice journey we have experienced for the last 5 months. All sweet and bitter things we have got from the very beginning until the end will be the nice memories of 5F journey.
Of course thank you so much SBS and 5F PD for your trust and care toward our Jihun, it's really a great opportunity for him to comeback in Kshowbiz and we hope he can do many great works ahead. I cannot say in words how grateful I am to SBS because their trust and care toward our Jihun. Once again, Thank you so much SBS! 
:-*
So nice I can meet new friends here, we shared many things here not only about the storyline of 5F. Thank you 5F, Thank you guys :x

Here's Jihun wrote a special letter for you! :x

1353918396-120979886.jpg
1353915291-906273078.png
(that letter in Korean but I'm sure the English translation will appear soon)

awwww i almost don't want to leave this thread, and i'm sad i only found this place towards the end of the drama.thank you everyone for infos, spoilers, videos and pics. @Cara i agree, i'm so glad KBS took a chance on JJH. i know some where sceptical but that was a heck of a comeback. the main cast deserve a prize everyone of them.

Guest sunshine4ever

sophiechoice said: isn't it Running man also in SBS ?

and now, its time for me to starting my own satisfying FF ending in my brain  :x

and @andy87 @sunshine4ever @tessieroo - should we spread our positive discussion aura here in FF Thread to the messy-discussion there in MY thread  ;)
i'll start watching it this week and hope to catch up you guys soon, and hopefully @baduy will tempting to accompany us there with so many familiar names  because we knew we'll need him to understand so many things :)

I re-watched the first episode like 3 times. I thought IH and JH are real brothers... (I wonder where I saw it, Mom choose to take only 1 of the twin? and left the other for her granny to take care?.... heheh.. I must have messed up with other drama).... :( keep on dozing off from the 1st to 3rd episode and now re-watching episode 3 for the 3rd time.... trying to find the exact scene I fall asleep and start from there AGAIN... :sigh: .... I normally hate the young stage story - to much input at one time.... too much to process, too many questions) but unfortunately the early episodes are crucial for the character build up so must must see no matter how tiring it is. 
BTW ... Up till episode 3, I am still not sure if IH is the real son of Man Se (did I missed it while I dozed off? Do I need to re-watch all 3 episode? or it is not mentioned yet anywhere). 
Sorry guy for these stupid questions.... I guess I have to keep going to get the answer.... 
Hmm I wonder if there anyone here just started to watch FF like me... :)

you mean man se and the alz grandma didn't appear in the final episode to explain things?!!!  there was somebody who wrote int he thread that man se would appear to explain everything.  i've been right all along, that man se is twisted , cruel,inhuman, near psychotic.  he turned his wife and son the way they are.  but how could he predict the future,  he didn't see the fire, the  damage it would do to his legit son.  this is one are of the writing which has troubled me.  in the earlier episodes, everytime in ha does something wrong, he deducts a certain number of stocks from his portfolio. i jsut don't see the logic in making ji ho his heir. there's something wrong with the writing, defies logic/  and about dami becoming a great pianist,  the renowned filipino pianist cecile licad practices 8-10 hours a day on her own.  also, why do koreans like contests so much, a contest for cooking, composing, even in cutting up a cattle.  becoming a great pianist is not done in a few weeks or a few months,  you need to study techniques, the pieces itself, even german, french, spanish languages to fully understand the music. i studies piano for 5 years and i only had a recital after 3 years.  you only get to perform a piece you really have mastered.  there was one instance where dami tuned the piano so easily and it's done just like that!  there was someone who goes to visit all piano owners in our neighborhood to fine tune and check up on our piano, it takes him at least 2 hours to do so.  and he was able to do it after years, years of practice.  but i love joo ji hoon, his looks, his great, great acting and chae sira for her acting and her wardrobe.  what she got only was poetic justice in this drama not real justice,  she did a lot and she should have paid with it with prison time.

Bambiina said: I re-watched the first episode like 3 times. I thought IH and JH are real brothers... (I wonder where I saw it, Mom choose to take only 1 of the twin?
BTW ... Up till episode 3, I am still not sure if IH is the real son of Man Se (did I missed it while I dozed off? Do I need to re-watch all 3 episode? or it is not mentioned yet anywhere).

Archived