@Biology Lesson “It’s no bad but it makes you feel bad” it’s such a perfect concise review of Bad Papa. I will borrow this whenever anyone asks me about the drama. 

I believe makjang kind of means “soap opera-ish”, for example Money Flower was called “a masterpiece makjang” by some fans and media (while calling something makjang is usually not a praise, in this case it was a tongue in cheek acknowledgement but it wasn’t meant as something negative) 

Weekend kdramas and dailies (daytime dramas) have been mostly makjang and yes, they were and I believe still are very popular judging from their usually high ratings (but I don’t think we want JH to do many of those) A sprinkle of makjang here and there can be fun imo, but full on makjang no, unless you love soap operas. They also tend to be of even lower production value (which is why Money Flower was called a masterpiece makjang, cause among other things, it looked more modern and sophisticated than your average makjang but at its core it had a “makjang heart” lol)

Google results:

Makjang. a sylistic, tonal, or narrative element in dramas that chooses to play up outrageous storylines to keep viewers hooked despite how ridiculous the stories become (adultery, revenge, rape, birth secrets [..]

What is a makjang drama?

When it comes to dramas, when plot devices involving extreme, absurd, or outrageous instances of life (cases that make you go, hmm, what's the likelihood of that happening in an average person's lifetime) are dealt with in an illogical or twisted manner to arouse or hook the viewers, or conveniently inserted for that ...

Frequently-used “Makjang” scenarios in K-dramas include, birth secrets, murder, adultery, cover-ups of illegal actions and nearly-impossible-to-happen-in-real-life happenings, endings and ridiculous twists. However, these are not the only elements that make a “Makjang-ish” piece of work, but it is really the manner in which they are carried out or executed, which deviates from what is the norm purely for shock value or merely to draw higher ratings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

They also tend to be of even lower production value (which is why Money Flower was called a masterpiece makjang, cause among other things, it looked more modern and sophisticated than your average makjang but at its core it had a “makjang heart” lol)

Yes! If you look at daily dramas or weekend soap operas, the production set is typically not a real locations but mostly Lower quality filming sets that are owned by the studios themselves. 

and the plot is driven by all the elements shared above by @dramafan33, and there aren’t fancy schmancy effects, just normal filming of people depicting the script. Hence the lower cost I suppose. 

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

A fan translated the start of their conversation.

Joon: Are you starting a band with this new image?

JH: Correct! I'm joining a band!

Joon: I've never seen you play any musical instrument since I've known you from 1997.

JH: I've starting rapping recently.

:joy:I have no idea when JH is joking and when he's telling the truth. He's too serious.. lol.

Thanks! Yeah his humor is really one kind haha. But in the sense he is quite quick witted too :D I actually hope to see the translation of when he was talking about (?) his friend, and he made some 탁 sound twice and The people started laughing uncontrollably... wonder what he said that was so funny haha. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson “It’s no bad but it makes you feel bad” it’s such a perfect concise review of Bad Papa. I will borrow this whenever anyone asks me about the drama. 

:) No problem. It's how the show made me feel- it felt brave for doing what it did and going where it did, but it wasn't a pleasant watch.

I believe makjang kind of means “soap opera-ish”, for example Money Flower was called “a masterpiece makjang” by some fans and media (while calling something makjang is usually not a praise, in this case it was a tongue in cheek acknowledgement but it wasn’t meant as something negative) 

Weekend kdramas and dailies (daytime dramas) have been mostly makjang and yes, they were and I believe still are very popular judging from their usually high ratings (but I don’t think we want JH to do many of those) A sprinkle of makjang here and there can be fun imo, but full on makjang no, unless you love soap operas. They also tend to be of even lower production value (which is why Money Flower was called a masterpiece makjang, cause among other things, it looked more modern and sophisticated than your average makjang but at its core it had a “makjang heart” lol)

I thought I remembered that word in relation to MF... It actually took me a while to realize that MF was a soap. After a while it suddenly occurred to me that the show feels very constrained, with a relatively small cast, with not many new faces as the show progresses, and that most of the show is filmed inside at very few locations- the company, the main house, and PJ's apartment. It's just that JH was that good in it, that I was distracted by him :)

As you know I'm the first one to say MF is not my favorite, but after seeing what JH did in it, and what it did for his career, I don't expect JH to view anything as beneath him, but consider what he can do in it. Even though I don't like most of his recent projects, I can't deny what he did in them was usually impressive. I will continue to wish that the next project he will do will also have a good story to be worthy of him...

Right now I'm watching My Mister, and I don't know how it will develop, but for now (ep. 3), it's done very well. I'm even interested in the corporate machinations. This show takes its time, developing its characters slowly, showing their imperfections, but also their vulnerabilities... This is the kind of show I'd like JH to do. But he has the tendency when portraying "regular" characters, like he did in Midas and Bad papa, to go too subdued... he needs to find a way to bring his special touch to those characters too... 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson My Mister got such good reviews! I will definitely watch this one (hopefully soon) Good to hear a good comment from the picky Biology Lesson :P So even without watching it I do wish JH to be in a project like that too 

I will continue to watch and report back :D For instance, Hwarang, even though it started out well and fun, became tedious and predictable real fast.  

• Like 2

Hi again!

I've had a very hectic week, so my discovery journey of JH's work haven't progressed very much. Besides, I'm the kind of person that get tired of something very easily if I have too much of it at once; so I'm alternating JH's works with another shows.

I've seen The Flu, because it was at Netflix and was an easy choice; and well, I don't know how to put it, but I found it terrible, terrible, terrible. I wasn't expecting an artsy film, but it was a lot worse I'd expected. For me, it was an endless succession of WTFs (starting with that first scene where the female lead was about to die in her car but she was more worried about her thigh being exposed than, well, dying), and when I arrived to the scene where the JH character was searching among piles of infectious dead bodies without protection gloves or any safe mask, it was too much for me. I fast forwarded the rest of the movie just in case there was something interesting, but alas, there wasn't. The character played by JH was very cliche but I found him cute, though not cute enough for making up for the rest of the movie. :sweatingbullets:

And I've started Tell Me What You Saw, but I've only watched the first episode, so I don't know what to think yet. It's full of cliches ( I'm realising Corean crime shows seem to be very fond of people with special abilities: the girl medium in Black, the female lead in Voice, and now the young policewoman in TMWYS), but it looks better than Voice. And I like the older policewoman character and JH seems to look really hot in it (and I say "seem" because the scenes with JH character are so dark that it's difficult to see him in, well, his full glory. It's really a pity). We will see how it unfolds, but at least I'm sure it couldn't be worse than Voice. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Akhmatova said:

And I've started Tell Me What You Saw, but I've only watched the first episode, so I don't know what to think yet. It's full of cliches ( I'm realising Corean crime shows seem to be very fond of people with special abilities: the girl medium in Black, the female lead in Voice, and now the young policewoman in TMWYS), but it looks better than Voice. And I like the older policewoman character and JH seems to look really hot in it (and I say "seem" because the scenes with JH character are so dark that it's difficult to see him in, well, his full glory. It's really a pity). We will see how it unfolds, but at least I'm sure it couldn't be worse than Voice. 

Hello! Interesting that you started TMWYS first compared to the crowd favs like FTLY, BM and MF! Are you saving the best for last? Haha :lol:

and you’re right, it’s much better than Voice IMO, The storyline is actually more intriguing and interesting but I think many casual viewers might beg to differ as seen in the comparison of reception for both shows. However I didn’t find the individual cases very compelling. What I did like was the female lead Soo Young’s earnest depiction of her character, so much better than the FL in Voice. I thought I’d like the older policewoman too but as the episodes passed her character didn’t leave much impression on me (not sure whether it’s due to the acting or the way the character was written). 

• Like 4

On 5/22/2020 at 9:25 AM, Biology Lesson said:

I've noticed pictures of Bang Won from Empire of lust, and it's amazing how different he is from Bang won in MC. Besides the idiotic fake beard (why do that when JH's natural facial hair is just fine?!), in Empire of lust there was this harder edge to him. He was an obvious bad guy, while Bang won in MC was so nuanced...

but another thing about Bang won in EOF- he was sexy as hell! :) I wish they would have allowed for him to express that side of him in MC. That short exchange with the girl in the beginning doesn't count, since he was pretending there. Come to think about it- do we even know why he was pretending to be drunk at the beginning?! Why was he hiding his true nature? It was cool, but didn't really have any importance... 

I would like to see Empire of Lust, but I can't find that film anywhere :o

On the other hand, in those last pictures of him, his hair is a lot longer, and well, nice. I think I like him better with long hair. 

About The World of the Married, I've read it's based in BBC's Doctor Foster. Is it any good? Because now I'm curious about a Corean version of Dr Foster (the first series of that drama is pure genius, IMO), because it could be or utterly brilliant or a complete train wreck 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Hello! Interesting that you started TMWYS first compared to the crowd favs like FTLY, BM and MF! Are you saving the best for last? Haha :lol:

Well, truth is that I don't like romance very much, so I'm afraid I'm not going to like FTLY. I'm avoiding it a little bit :P And I'm looking forward to see MF, but I'm planning to see it with my mother, so I'll probably start viewing it next week. 

• Like 3

I love this small clip from Dragon Club. I love how JH is trying to keep his distance, while CTH, that imp, is constantly doing his best to make JH uncomfortable :) Notice how JH went around the table rather then cross close to the girls...  And the look on the girls' faces, even though JH is hardly looking his best...

1 hour ago, Akhmatova said:

Well, truth is that I don't like romance very much, so I'm afraid I'm not going to like FTLY. I'm avoiding it a little bit :P And I'm looking forward to see MF, but I'm planning to see it with my mother, so I'll probably start viewing it next week. 

Well, you got our recommendations. From here on, it's your choice. Just remember, when it comes to JH, genres mean nothing...  

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I love this small clip from Dragon Club. I love how JH is trying to keep his distance, while CTH, that imp, is constantly doing his best to make JH uncomfortable :) Notice how JH went around the table rather then cross close to the girls...  And the look on the girls' faces, even though JH is hardly looking his best...

Lol, the show begs to differ with the sculpture heading towards me remark. I remember first time watching I was thinking is he going to sit across the table, and that won't seem friendly.  However, he did a whole loop with his shy smile.

Imagine them when he's in his full glory though.  Actually, not even sure how we'll react.  Well @dramafan33 fan knows that feeling at least.

Off topic.  Maybe we should all go and petition or comment for english sub on that youtube video.  If there's more interest from international fans, maybe there will be more motivation to do it quicker.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Akhmatova said:

About The World of the Married, I've read it's based in BBC's Doctor Foster. Is it any good? Because now I'm curious about a Corean version of Dr Foster (the first series of that drama is pure genius, IMO), because it could be or utterly brilliant or a complete train wreck 

Yes it’s good, I watched the whole series and really enjoyed it!

10 hours ago, Akhmatova said:

believe it or not, I’m not a fan of rom coms at all but I do appreciate a good love story. I went into FTLY purely because of JH (was mesmerized after MF) and didn’t have high expectations, and while I would say that the plot is nothing outrageously unique, the whole show really rested on the shoulders of JH and JNR as the most perfectly casted leads that drove the story and show with their chemistry, brilliant acting, and wonderful characterization of Lee Gun and Mi Young through and through. Perhaps if you’re truly not interested in the romance genre, give it a try just purely for the sheer acting brilliance and chemistry of our leads! 

I was rewatching it the past few days for the 3rd time :joy: because I was also reading the dramabeans recap and I agree with many others about how the show just makes you so invested in the relationship of the two leads. As many will tell you through reviews, you laugh and cry together with the leads. They make you feel dizzyingly happy with their love for each other, and then make you hurt so bad for them when they experience challenges. They take you on a journey like no other and make you want to root for their happiness so badly. Just as the title says, as the show moves on you can truly feel that they were fated to love each other. And it’s such a wonderful experience as a viewer! I can only wished I watched it “live” in 2014 and experience the buzz and love for the show together with everyone else. Haha. 

but anyway @Akhmatova it’s fully up to you if you want to watch or not, I’m just expressing my overwhelming love for JH in FTLY. Hehe. Fully aware that it will not be everyone’s cup of tea! That’s just how humans work. We are so different! 

On another note I’ve recently started watching this show Mystic Pop Up bar and I must say the first 2 episodes managed to keep me hooked. A fun show amidst all the slew of heavy and dark shows in the past few months. Looking forward to seeing where it goes...

• Like 5

Imagine them when he's in his full glory though.  Actually, not even sure how we'll react.  Well @dramafan33 fan knows that feeling at least.

When even actors, that are used to good looking people, say that they were in awe by JH the first time they saw him, you know it's something special :) 

Off topic.  Maybe we should all go and petition or comment for english sub on that youtube video.  If there's more interest from international fans, maybe there will be more motivation to do it quicker.

Checking Joon's channel, it seems that his vids have subtitles, so I assume that we will get them in a day or two...

• Like 4

For those who have not read this  valuable interview with him in 2000. I'm amazed that he thought of that 1 min scenario (middle aged love)when he was in his twenties!

https://stuckonhyuk.wordpress.com/2014/09/20/kbs-star-date-on-rapper-tj-2000-9-4-i-never-suffered-hardships/

And the last part of the interview where he gave  a message from ‘Jeong Yong Joon’ to ‘Jang Hyuk’:
“Mmm…You, just work hard. That’s all. Work hard, and achieve what you want. There’s something we both know, right? For you to achieve something 10 years after, you need to start working hard right now. You know it. I will be watching you.”

• Like 3
  • Love 1

https://channels.vlive.tv/C7A6F1/vtoday/0.12140140

Aww "Jang Hyuk is coordinating well with his juniors in the role Lee Bang Won - the talent that everyone extols as "the one that could cover the entire sky".

Maybe that's why he's keeping his hair long-"In addition to that, PD Kim Jin Won said, "Yesterday, I asked the screenwriter, 'Can we make such a film again?'. I'm so happy to work with all of the cast and staff who give their love to this drama. I also want to fulfill all the rest.

Do you guys prefer his preking period or king period?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Aww "Jang Hyuk is coordinating well with his juniors in the role Lee Bang Won - the talent that everyone extols as "the one that could cover the entire sky".

Nice compliment... I still don't understand why they didn't release the footage of that press conference...

Maybe that's why he's keeping his hair long-"In addition to that, PD Kim Jin Won said, "Yesterday, I asked the screenwriter, 'Can we make such a film again?'. I'm so happy to work with all of the cast and staff who give their love to this drama. I also want to fulfill all the rest.

If they do something else, I hope not with the same writers. The writers of MC were not very good, but the director was not bad  (in spite of the constant stabbing of people and them surviving).

Preking, but the problem is JH is a bit too old for that. a new different story would be nice... preferably a love story :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

I would prefer King period. Pre- King has been done extensively with SFD and also JH is more age- appropiate for a King LBW and he has never played a King before. LBW is always interesting to me and in this particular version I would like to see if the sacrifices made for him to become King were worth it. They could also show his wife this time. Their relationship was interesting. 

@azureblue7 Thanks for sharing that long interview :) It shows how JH has always had something like an “old soul”. He was always hard-working and had deep thoughts. It also reminded me that he and CTH lived together and the close relationship they both had with JJH (his answers to the question about her were a bit sassy (?) I think. I guess thats the main difference with his younger self that I perceive here)   

Q: Who did you just talk with?
JH: JiHyun-ie.
Q: JiHyun? Jeon JiHyun?
JH: Yeah her last name is Jeon~ name is JiHyun~
Q: You two close?
JH: Very close.
Q: Why?
JH: She’s my sister. My younger sister.
Q: What if you two get into a scandal?
JH: I don’t care. Both I and JiHyun don’t see each other with romantic feelings, we are just like siblings, we talk on phone and watch movies together. I don’t want to break a good relationship out of worrying for scandals.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Preking, but the problem is JH is a bit too old for that. a new different story would be nice... preferably a love story :)

19 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I would prefer King period. Pre- King has been done extensively with SFD and also JH is more age- appropiate for a King LBW and he has never played a King before. LBW is always interesting to me and in this particular version I would like to see if the sacrifices made for him to become King were worth it. They could also show his wife this time. Their relationship was interesting. 

Both of you have valid points.  I have such mix feelings about it because like you said King hasn't been done, but the more I thought about it, I have never really enjoyed a whole series where ML is king from start to finish (Be it Chinese or Korean series).  I think the whole reason for it is the whole court politics of it all are many times frustrating to watch.  It's nice to solve, but the whole drama around it for whole 16 episodes or longer is a little too much.  You know how you know they're the bad guy, but sometime you have to side with them and hurt the people on your side even.  Just those certain restrictions you feel even more with being King.

I also thought he might be a little age for pre-king period, but since went into more depth/humanize Bang Won.  There is still certain aspects I would hope to explore.  Maybe if we  can go back to certain key events, but not too far back then it would work.  He still has his resolve in MC so maybe showing a little time before that or what lead up to it.

Ideally, I would want 8 eps preking and 8 eps king.

• Like 3

@phoenix24 But the king in TWDR was the best character. Everything is possible if the writers flesh out the character. They could have flashbacks to show some pre-king and even pre-prince Bangwon (and they could have a younger actor play that) And they could show king LBW’s relationship with his wife and children and show more of his human side. 

• Like 3