11 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I guess it could be that that actress is kinda humorous and maybe she was kidding around with JH. 

In this interview they seem friendly enough (though I do wish I knew what they are saying...)

Just briefly : they were basically introducing their characters & teased each other about the fun stuff while filming. OYS said she had to touch JH alot in this drama & JH "complained" about being touched alot :DHoney Lee said the hair dress is elaborate & heavy & gave her headaches when she gets home. The interviewer said to her, your role is supposed to be a great beauty & Honey Lee said of course & flipped her hair! Lol...The girls said JH is caring & warm.

I did'nt bother to read the subtitles when the other 2 guys were talking....

• Thanks 5

I've noticed pictures of Bang Won from Empire of lust, and it's amazing how different he is from Bang won in MC. Besides the idiotic fake beard (why do that when JH's natural facial hair is just fine?!), in Empire of lust there was this harder edge to him. He was an obvious bad guy, while Bang won in MC was so nuanced...

but another thing about Bang won in EOF- he was sexy as hell! :) I wish they would have allowed for him to express that side of him in MC. That short exchange with the girl in the beginning doesn't count, since he was pretending there. Come to think about it- do we even know why he was pretending to be drunk at the beginning?! Why was he hiding his true nature? It was cool, but didn't really have any importance... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

I have no idea what is going on here, But JH appeared his friend from GOD YouTube show (?) :) I think there will be subtitles in a few hours...

Love it! He’s so hilarious even though I don’t understand much. So much warmth between them. And this looks like the same day he was in the office when the pansori singer took picture with him! 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Love it! He’s so hilarious even though I don’t understand much. So much warmth between them. And this looks like the same day he was in the office when the pansori singer took picture with him! 

No,it is different. He wore a different hat and Tshirt.

Screencaps of the video and some clips of his closeup

• Like 6

OK, I randomly checked Joon's previous video, and here you can see that he says that since he can't film outside of fear of the corona virus, the room he is filming in is JH's practice room in Sidus HQ... I guess, not exclusively since I'm seeing women's clothes in the background...

• Like 4

I saw that christine posted this fan vid she made for Bad Papa, and I think, as nicely edited as this vid is, it really illustrates the problem in that show. Looking at this video you see that the relationship was so bland and asexual, that you'd think they were siblings, and not a married couple. The show was a strange blend of Sci-fi, with the pills and their effect, and very realistic in every other aspect of the show. From that stand point the show should have belonged to the same genre of VIP and The World of the Married, that from the clips I saw, show a more realistic, if depressing, view of marriage, but they also are more sexual. Instead, Bad papa was stuck in the middle, I guess since the focus was more on the relationship between the father and daughter. It's a pity, cause I think Bad papa had a real potential, but JH's character was way too repressed and subdued with the wife, and we never got the all out confrontation between them to clear the air... The show wasn't bad, it just made you feel bad...

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I saw that christine posted this fan vid she made for Bad Papa, and I think, as nicely edited as this vid is, it really illustrates the problem in that show. Looking at this video you see that the relationship was so bland and asexual, that you'd think they were siblings, and not a married couple. The show was a strange blend of Sci-fi, with the pills and their effect, and very realistic in every other aspect of the show. From that stand point the show should have belonged to the same genre of VIP and The World of the Married, that from the clips I saw, show a more realistic, if depressing, view of marriage, but they also are more sexual. Instead, Bad papa was stuck in the middle, I guess since the focus was more on the relationship between the father and daughter. It's a pity, cause I think Bad papa had a real potential, but JH's character was way too repressed and subdued with the wife, and we never got the all out confrontation between them to clear the air... The show wasn't bad, it just made you feel bad...

Perhaps it also lacked the dramatic elements aka makjangness and the pace was slow? I watched the first few episodes but i was really struggling to hold my attention. While very realistic like the other two, it was also very down to earth, meaning the production quality probably wasn’t as “showy” as the other 2. And TWOTM also was abt the upper middle class so I guess in that case you’ll see all the shimmery and shiny wardrobes and houses and professions. And yes this one the relationship with the wife felt very meh! 

On another note seems like there is no translation of his appearance in GOD’s video yet? :cold_sweat:

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

Perhaps it also lacked the dramatic elements aka makjangness and the pace was slow? I watched the first few episodes but i was really struggling to hold my attention. While very realistic like the other two, it was also very down to earth, meaning the production quality probably wasn’t as “showy” as the other 2.

And TWOTM also was abt the upper middle class so I guess in that case you’ll see all the shimmery and shiny wardrobes and houses and professions. And yes this one the relationship with the wife felt very meh! 

That's an interesting observation... So you are saying that part of the reason those shows were popular, in spite of the the depressing premise, was the fact that they involved rich people and was glitzy. Interesting. I admit to also struggling with Bad papa. When I first tried watching it, it was so depressing and, yes, boring to me, that I stopped midway. In the second viewing I had to make myself finish it. Again, the show wasn't bad, but it was just difficult to watch. There was nothing in it that was satisfying to watch or fun. Isn't it interesting that JH manages to make a show in which 50% of the time is shirtless, boring? He clearly went out of his way to remove any sex appeal from this character, as we just read in the that recent post. I guess he made that show more appealing to men, since, interestingly, I saw several reviews from men, that really loved the show.

The relationship between the husband and wife kinda reminded me of a scene that JH once said he wrote or imagined, describing love between a middle aged couple that have been married for a long time- of them sitting in the living room, without talking, and it's hot so the husband turns the ventilator towards the wife, making sure she at least will not be hot. It feels like JH brought that spirit to Bad papa- of love that is not passionate anymore. Theoretically, I appreciate that and respect JH for wanting to tell a story like that, but he needs to know that that is very boring to watch... 

BTW- what does "makjangness" mean?

On another note seems like there is no translation of his appearance in GOD’s video yet? :cold_sweat:

I'm waiting for the translation too... from the comments to the video usually the subs come out quick...

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Theoretically, I appreciate that and respect JH for wanting to tell a story like that, but he needs to know that that is very boring to watch... 

BTW- what does "makjangness" mean?

I think it reflects on his simplicity as an individual. From what we all observe I think we know his preference for realistic, simple things in life. But yeah usually they don’t make for good drama watching hahaha. Even if the topic and acting is subdued and simple, there needs to be an element of artistic creativity if not “dramaticness” that sets it apart from typical boring shows. 

makjang actually means overly dramatic to the point of ridiculousness. Think it’s a Korean expression. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

I think it reflects on his simplicity as an individual. From what we all observe I think we know his preference for realistic, simple things in life. But yeah usually they don’t make for good drama watching hahaha. Even if the topic and acting is subdued and simple, there needs to be an element of artistic creativity if not “dramaticness” that sets it apart from typical boring shows. 

JH seems to be going against the grain, and does things that go against what is popular to Korean audience. He needs to find the balance, how to create shows and roles that he wants to do, while combining in them elements that the audience wants to see. I think MC in a way had it, just that the writing needs to be better, and JH's character needs to be central from the get go.

4 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

makjang actually means overly dramatic to the point of ridiculousness. Think it’s a Korean expression. 

And shows that are Makjang are popular?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Granted I didn't watch Bad Papa for relationship for wife and hubby.  However, I couldn't even finish VIP nor can my friends who all were excited to see Jang Nara and Sang Yun.  it's funny because they said both of them had more chemistry off screen. 

I don't know maybe for me the ventilator scene as you describe is such a sweet and thoughtful thing that is kind of rare.  I get move by the subtleties.  As for confrontation, I think he already forgave her or never really had anything against her.  Only towards his junior.  I think he probably blame himself for not being a good head of household sort of ordeal in regards to that so he couldn't really blame her.  Do you remember him talking about any dissatisfaction with this drama?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, phoenix24 said:

Granted I didn't watch Bad Papa for relationship for wife and hubby.  However, I couldn't even finish VIP nor can my friends who all were excited to see Jang Nara and Sang Yun.  it's funny because they said both of them had more chemistry off screen. 

I didn't even try to watch VIP. Have no interest in it :) 

I don't know maybe for me the ventilator scene as you describe is such a sweet and thoughtful thing that is kind of rare.  I get move by the subtleties. 

Oh, I agree that it's sweet, but it can't just that. There has to be something more emotional, something lively. I actually love love stories between people that are older, the British actually do them very well. Also, I love stories about estrange couples that find each other again through adversity. If you've seen the show "Men of certain age", in that show there is long time married couple, and you saw them grow closer as the show progressed, and it was great. But it was done through conversations, conflict and resolution of conflict. But in Bad papa you didn't have that.

As for confrontation, I think he already forgave her or never really had anything against her.  Only towards his junior.  I think he probably blame himself for not being a good head of household sort of ordeal in regards to that so he couldn't really blame her.  Do you remember him talking about any dissatisfaction with this drama?

I don't think you will hear him say he was dissatisfied with Bad papa, because I have a feeling he had a lot of control over the story in Bad papa. You remember the scene close to the end, in which he asks the wife why she never left him? What the wife said is an exact quote of what JH's actual wife said to him when he asked her why she didn't leave him when he went to the army...

but to me, the whole interaction with the wife was frustrating, because I needed to see them discuss their issues- from the point he was disgraced years before, to her miscarriage, to the slow growing distance between them which led to her almost falling for the other boxer- I actually didn't feel like she needed to apologize. I thought he should, because he never really spoke to her, never bothered to explain himself. I actually had a problem with her not divorcing him years before. The only thing that held that marriage together was her love for him, it sure as hell wasn't him. But it was never spoken about, he just read about it in her book...  

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, The Reel Life said:

Screenshot-20200523-211514-Instagram.jpg

A fan translated the start of their conversation.

Joon: Are you starting a band with this new image?

JH: Correct! I'm joining a band!

Joon: I've never seen you play any musical instrument since I've known you from 1997.

JH: I've starting rapping recently.

:joy:I have no idea when JH is joking and when he's telling the truth. He's too serious.. lol.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Screenshot-20200523-211514-Instagram.jpg

A fan translated the start of their conversation.

Joon: Are you starting a band with this new image?

JH: Correct! I'm joining a band!

Joon: I've never seen you play any musical instrument since I've known you from 1997.

JH: I've starting rapping recently.

:joy:I have no idea when JH is joking and when he's telling the truth. He's too serious.. lol.

Thanks for the translation! JH's humor... he's always very quick with the quirky answer... 

But- JH can play the guitar and the piano, right? at least at a basic level...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Thanks for the translation! JH's humor... he's always very quick with the quirky answer... 

But- JH can play the guitar and the piano, right? at least at a basic level...

Yes he can. Guess maybe not with Joon Park.

• Like 4