haha it seems he is more scared of his wife than those killers and gangsters. :lol:

not sure if it's going this way but I guess the teen at first didn't like this ajjushi but after he helped her from the bullying she started to find him very cool lol and his wife maybe didn't even know this side of her husband. 

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

It's indeed interesting how people are different in their taste. I guess I can say that HSK acted his character well, but the person he ended up portraying came across as bland to me. like my friend I also thought the king was weak as a result. I remember being somewhat baffled by his relatively large role in show, and this is when I still didn't consider myself a JH fan... People often speak about JH's charisma, so I guess that it what grabbed me at the time...

From back in the thread... but I have a similar problem with TWDR. The King felt like a really bland character and the more the show focussed on him, the more tedious I found it. The FL was just not very good and also lacking in screen presence. JH has had astonishing screen presence even since his earliest roles so he's always watchable and the character started out well, but somewhere around the middle he stagnates and gets overblown. Then things deteriorate to endless scenes of the bad guys sitting around recapping their plans while the King frets, and the show became incredibly boring to me. So much contrived drama and dragging things out, characters being stupid so that the plot works, etc. The 'love story' is also... confusing? Once they're finally reunited, it often plays like maybe she doesn't love him back and doesn't want to hurt his feelings or even that she has a thing for the King, but I think that's probably the actress's poor performance. I can't tell for sure, though the ending suggests it's supposed to be that she does love him back and she's just sacrificing her own happiness for the sake of the alphabet.

I'm always surprised to see people talk about this show in terms of great acting, because it's mostly pretty unconvincing to me. Everyone is either stiff or majorly hammy for the whole second half of the series. No one was consistently good through the entire run and I think it's honestly JH's worst performance. He's still entertaining and has his great moments (because he's amazing), but overall it's not a good role for him and does not show what he's capable of at all. There are some serious low points.

I might be biased, because part of it is probably that I don't like it when he plays sort of 'shounen hero' type characters, if you know what I mean. I struggled with Tazza for maybe the same reason. They're very in-your-face, what you see is what you get, simple roles; very 'angry kid yelling' style, without a lot of layers or emotional complexity. Something about that doesn't suit him and he overcompensates. All of his finest performances have been fiercely intelligent characters or characters who are way more than what they seem on the surface, or both. He's at his best as an actor when he's keeping something in reserve (and, yes, I count Lee Gun in this because Gun is still a complicated character despite his wackiness- he has a lot of depth and hidden facets, there is tension in him).

I don't like to see him play dumb, maybe. lol. Those characters aren't even stupid per se... they're just lacking... sophistication? I really liked Ddolbok when he was a double agent and had tonnes of conflict and intrigue going on, but that all drops away. He seems like the protagonist at first but he becomes totally unimportant to the story and all his skills gradually disappear. The magical martial arts and his ability to outwit everyone... mysteriously gone? He never really uses his ninja powers and seems to get less and less cunning as the show goes on until he's oafish and transparent. It's to the point he just comes across as a naive idiot by the end and that's wild considering how he started out.

The ending was ridiculous too. It was such a stupid, useless death. It was like they forgot they wanted to kill him and threw in a last minute excuse to do so. He couldn't have died in a more climatic way? Doing something really important? For a good reason? And then he stands there bleeding out while no one notices. Silly.

The show did make me want to learn Hangul and I can now read it phonetically, so that's cool.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

@Kate Llama First of all, welcome! That was a great analysis of TWDR and I think you have pinpointed the reasons I fell out of love with that drama, and why I no longer re-watch it (same as Tazza). I agree that JH is much more convincing and/or compelling when he plays smart characters. I admit I fell for that “energy” initially. I loved Ddolbock just because of those intense eyes, that energy, that anger even. But now I see the “hammy” aspects, the OTT of it all and can’t go back. Especially since he has given us much more nuanced and amazing performances in other works. 

• Like 5

On 6/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, Biology Lesson said:

OK, this is a silly post, but I saw this clip and it struck me. First, because it's the first time I actually thought JH looked good in that blond hair :)  and second, because this is one of the only times I ever saw JH pass his fingers through his hair, as he pulls it back... I know it's a strange thing to notice, but still I did :relaxed: It always struck me as strange, that, at least after his army service, JH very rarely even touches his hair. I first noticed that in Real men, even when he was sweaty and hot, and his hair stuck to his forehead, JH wouldn't do what most other people will do- pass his fingers through his hair to push it up, off his forehead. The most he would do is push the hair slightly to the side, or, even worse, pull it down. I remember wondering how can he stand just sitting there all sweaty with his hair stuck to his forehead... 

The only other time I remember JH pushing his hair back was in TMWYS, while he was hitting the first "the guy" in episode 6... maybe that's why I thought it was so sexy... :)

I had/have the same fixation from watching Real Man! How does he never push his fingers through it? And then noticing all the other times you'd think he would and he still doesn't! Always brushing it down instead??

He does push it back and run his fingers through it quite a bit in Successful Story of a Bright Girl. I noted that right away because I've always wanted him to do it lmao. Since that was back in the day, I figure he must have trained himself out of the habit so he wouldn't mess up a complicated style during shooting/photo sessions. I notice he always touches/fixes his hair very gingerly when its styled; it reminds me of how I touch my face when wearing foundation or costume make-up. Very self-consciously. Maybe he had a memorable incident where he ruined some stylist's work and has been gun shy ever since.

When OHJ did it, it was extremely sexy. Wish he'd done it more than once (though seeing him flip it back was also good). Still mourning never seeing him in a full ponytail before he cut his hair. I'm hoping he'll be growing it out again after shooting the film since he's doing another historical drama.

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote tweets! Thanks!
  • Like 4

• Prettysup changed the title to Jang Hyuk 장혁 - upcoming movies 'Tomb of the River’ and 'A Kid Deserves To Die'
8 hours ago, Kate Llama said:

The show did make me want to learn Hangul and I can now read it phonetically, so that's cool.

Wow u are good! I had that same intention after watching the show too, but too bad I didn't succeed.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Vote for most handsome Korean actor - need to scroll all the way to the bottom to vote

– 1 time can only select 3 Handsome Korean Actors.

– Same IP ‘Internet Protocol’ address can vote again after 1 hour.

https://profileasian.com/the-most-handsome-korean-actors-2021/

Yeah! He's number 3 so far.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kohnlee said:

For those of you who can read Chinese :)

loosely translate the title : Voice 4 reminds us of JH perfect portrayal of his character in Voice 1

I went to rewatch some parts of Voice two days ago , miss Moo Jin-hyuk so much.

• Off-Topic 1
  • Awesome 2