1 hour ago, AgnesO said:

Well, I can only say the intention is good, but the outcome no one can guarantee.  At least his character in TMWYS is definitely more watch-worthy than Voice.   

I know the intention is good, but the show was a mess! A mess that was much better than Voice, for sure, and OHJ is indeed one of my favorite JH characters- he is magnificent! But I think considering the way the director spoke in the press conference, it was clear he wasn't capable of conveying a complex character study, which is what JH wanted. The producer himself was disappointed that he wasn't able to support JH in his vision. And I actually don't blame him. It was clear that JH was suggesting changes on the fly while they were filming, I guess because he didn't have time to that in advance as he was still filming MC. The result was a muddled show that was raising interesting psychological issues randomly, but they were never seen through. Mostly they were used to create confusion in the viewer, instead of enabling OHJ to really deal with his issues. And even his issues were not raised in a consistent way. We actually never saw OHJ healing, as JH suggested. Remember that only at the end we saw OHJ wondering if he was a bad guy. That question actually should have been solved by his fiance...

I believe that had JH spent the time and hammered down his vision for the show together with the show runners, we would have gotten a show that could have competed with BM in its magnificence! I really hope that JH already has a project and that during his hiatus he sat with the show runners to have his vision for the show inserted organically into the script ... 

But seriously, I really don't think he'll take on Voice 4.  Can't imagine him doing the same genre again, what's more a sequel.

I hope you are right... I really hope that hair cut means JH is about to start working on a project that is not Voice.

2 hours ago, Akhmatova said:

Yes, I think it’s the episode 8, after B-chan and Birdgirl got married. It’s true nothing is actually shown, but IMO it’s heavily, heavily hinted that they had sex. And something in the way the scene is played made me assume that it wasn’t the first time. And it makes sense for both of the characters: she is the kind of woman that uses sex to manipulate the men around her (as in the case of Secretary Oh); and he is willing to do everything and anything to destroy her, and sex can be another tool to use against her. In fact, now all those weird, almost creepy intimate scenes of them make more sense to me in the show. 

But I don’t know, maybe everything is in my dirty imagination. :sweatingbullets:

That scene in the bedroom, where Mal Ran caught PJ's hand does suggest they were having sex, but if you continue watching you will see a scene that makes it clear they never had sex. So people were very confused about this.

This is actually part of the reason MF is not a favorite show of mine. As you said, we know that Mal Ran manipulated men to do her bidding, but the problem is she is not presented as Femme fatale. Instead she is presented as a vulnerable, selfish woman that is mentally unstable. I guess this stems from Kdramas' inability to deal well with sexuality, especially female sexuality, as you yourself mentioned. To me, her vulnerability kinda made PJ's elaborate revenge plan redundant as he could have destroyed her with much less effort years before. I wish she would have been presented as smarted tougher woman, making her a worthy foe to PJ.

Because that’s another problem I have with relationships in Kdramas: I never know what to expect or assume regarding the sex innuendos (or the sex aspect in general). I never know if I’m reading too much into it due to my Western mind-set, and korean people are really that asexual. It happened to me as well in Chuno, in that scene in which Daegil is drunk and sad and broken and sleeps with Seol-hwa because “life is shitty and she’s warm”. In my mind, I would perfectly assume that some despair sex happened that night, but since it’s a korean drama, I suppose they only cuddled all along. Or all those established couples that have been dating for years but never touch each other, I'm always wondering if they are sleeping together or not, maybe they are waiting until they get married. I don’t know what to think anymore. :lol:

It's funny because I have been saying similar things for sometime now. The strange asexuality in Kdramas is the main reason why I can say I'm not a Kdrama fan, I'm a JH fan! You mention how kdrama main characters are often presented as being celibate, which I agree with and I think is completely silly. This is what we see in almost all the K rom coms and melos, which makes me feel as though I'm watching shows that were made for pre-teens. And it's not just about the sex, it also leads to inability to show passion and attraction in relationships, which to me makes for a very boring viewing. From that stand point FTLY is an anomaly as Lee Gun very obviously (and hilariously) wants Mi Young and she also expresses desire for him. Also in Robbers, JH character is a very unusual character, as in the beginning he essentially sleeps with women for money. I also think that the sexual elements that you see in MF weren't originally in the show. I believe they were a result of the sensuality of JH's performance and his chemistry with Lee Mi Sook. You mentioned before that you felt like there was sexual tension between PJ and the other guy, but if see this BTS, you kinda understand where it comes from :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

That scene in the bedroom, where Mal Ran caught PJ's hand does suggest they were having sex, but if you continue watching you will see a scene that makes it clear they never had sex. So people were very confused about this.

This is actually part of the reason MF is not a favorite show of mine. As you said, we know that Mal Ran manipulated men to do her bidding, but the problem is she is not presented as Femme fatale. Instead she is presented as a vulnerable, selfish woman that is mentally unstable. I guess this stems from Kdramas' inability to deal well with sexuality, especially female sexuality, as you yourself mentioned. To me, her vulnerability kinda made PJ's elaborate revenge plan redundant as he could have destroyed her with much less effort years before. I wish she would have been presented as smarted tougher woman, making her a worthy foe to PJ.

It's funny because I have been saying similar things for sometime now. The strange asexuality in Kdramas is the main reason why I can say I'm not a Kdrama fan, I'm a JH fan! You mention how kdrama main characters are often presented as being celibate, which I agree with and I think is completely silly. This is what we see in almost all the K rom coms and melos, which makes me feel as though I'm watching shows that were made for pre-teens. And it's not just about the sex, it also leads to inability to show passion and attraction in relationships, which to me makes for a very boring viewing. From that stand point FTLY is an anomaly as Lee Gun very obviously (and hilariously) wants Mi Young and she also expresses desire for him. Also in Robbers, JH character is a very unusual character, as in the beginning he essentially sleeps with women for money. I also think that the sexual elements that you see in MF weren't originally in the show. I believe they were a result of the sensuality of JH's performance and his chemistry with Lee Mi Sook. You mentioned before that you felt like there was sexual tension between PJ and the other guy, but if see this BTS, you kinda understand where it comes from :)

They didn't have sex, really? I'm shocked. So, what did they do? Cuddled all night along as well? Did he sing her a lullaby? Did they watch Mean Girls together? Hahahahahaha!! Kdramas never cease to amaze me :lol: From now on, I'm going to stop assuming anything sexual in Kdramas, it's been proven that everything is only in my dirty pervert mind :D

That video is so cute. Thank you very much! My little lovely B-Chan boy. He's adorkable.  *Sigh*  Now I'm even more convinced that my perfect happy ending for MF would be PJ and BC leaving everything Cheong related behind and driving together towards the sunset :wub: Dreaming is free!! 

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

@corey I went to Korea without knowing the language. You will always find someone who speaks english. People are used to tourists and are hospitable, in general (at least in the areas I visited) They will get out of their way to help.  The subway has everything translated so its easy to move around. My experience was very pleasant. 

You could also become friends with a korean and ask them (without having to visit) For example Jane on IG :P I wish she visited this forum. She could clarify so many things for us. There’s also books and youtubers who focus on korean culture. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Akhmatova said:

They didn't have sex, really? I'm shocked. So, what did they do? Cuddled all night along as well? Did he sing her a lullaby? Did they watch Mean Girls together? Hahahahahaha!! Kdramas never cease to amaze me :lol: From now on, I'm going to stop assuming anything sexual in Kdramas, it's been proven that everything is only in my dirty pervert mind :D

I have no idea... Seriously, I don't know what to say. It's baffling to me. That moment of him in her bedroom was so out of character. I still don't understand why they included it. It should have been cut. When you reach to "the scene", and you will know it when you will see it, you will see that there no way that she would respond like that if they already slept together. 

As to perverted minds- you should check back to our comments for the scene in TMWYS ep 6 in which OHJ is being choked... than you will see what perverted minds are! :joy: 

44 minutes ago, corey said:

I suspect that he had time to interfere and improve things up about episode 9. Ending with this infamouns scene of his climbing the wall of the meantal health facility. And It was clear to me that the producers had no freaking idea what to do with the show after JH ceased to tell them what to do. DO you remember how this show ended? With a scene which was taked from an episode in the middle of the show (the imaginary crime scene)! I mean, how lacking in imagination is that? A flashback to an imaginary scene? No closure, no showing of his face without these horrible scars. The show was a mess and I suspected it early on , and I remember you telling me to wait, we are still midway through the show, for sure there will be some character development... Oh well.:tears:

Not sure about that. I think JH had input all through the show, but he usually focuses on the emotional aspect of his character, less on the plot scenes. I mean there was some character development, but for sure not like I expected. I was certain we were going to get something similar to BM, but I was wrong.:( But I don't think I was wrong about JH's vision- I think it was closer to BM, as it was obvious from the producer's comments after the show ended  that JH had many more suggestions that weren't implemented. Remember he regretted not being able to help JH realize his vision. This is why I think JH needs to get involved with the script before shooting starts, not during filming. In that way they can plan ahead. 

44 minutes ago, corey said:

Ha ha, we've been having this discussion not too long time ago. The asexuality, inability to show desire and mature relationship, couples living together and not having sex. And you also brought up that in K-movies there is actually a lot of sex. It still reminds a mystery to me. I plan to visit Korea one day (once I learn enough Korean at least to order soju in a bar) and see for myself. :D

Yep. Now, when I watch a show (if I watch one), I know any romance will rarely get heated, so I start out with low expectations. That's how I watched My Mister, and I was right- no heat.

52 minutes ago, Akhmatova said:

That video is so cute. Thank you very much! My little lovely B-Chan boy. He's adorkable.  *Sigh*  Now I'm even more convinced that my perfect happy ending for MF would be PJ and BC leaving everything Cheong related behind and driving together towards the sunset :wub: Dreaming is free!! 

Check out the rest of the BTS footage of MF- it's amazing to see how different JH is from PJ. He is such a cutey pie, and, very obviously, a joy to work with. Always with a smile... :) 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

Check out the rest of the BTS footage of MF- it's amazing to see how different JH is from PJ. He is such a cutey pie, and, very obviously, a joy to work with. Always with a smile...

Yes! I remember this set (BTS of MF) seemed very chill and happy despite the tone of the show! And I think it’s also attributed to the chemistry of the cast as well as the fact that the director really adored JH as they had been working together since FTLY days. 

The set of FTLY also seemed very light hearted and fun. 

truth be told I didn’t feel it (the chemistry) so much in the TMWYS cast, I guess perhaps cos OHJ was such a recluse he probably filmed most of his scenes away from the most of the actors. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Akhmatova said:

Haha yea they had many outstanding scenes.  The way BC stared at PJ on the bed, when PJ save BC, and they're last drinking scene together was more interesting than actual romance.  I really did not care if he end up with FL in the end.  Just the way BC stare at him even though he said he insisted they ignore each other.  It almost felt like he wanted PJ to protest or moment PJ agree still hurts.  I'm like guys just makeup.  It's like FTLY stop hurting the one you love when you care so much and say what you really feel.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

1 minute ago, phoenix24 said:

Haha yea they had many outstanding scenes.  The way BC stared at PJ on the bed, when PJ save BC, and they're last drinking scene together was more interesting than actual romance.  I really did not care if he end up with FL in the end.  Just the way BC stare at him even though he said he insisted they ignore each other.  It almost felt like he wanted PJ to protest or moment PJ agree still hurts.  I'm like guys just makeup.  It's like FTLY stop hurting the one you love when you care so much and say what you really feel.

I think what we saw on screen was the manifestation of the friendship that developed between them.I remember that when MC ended, Jang Seung-Jo posted a really sweet message on JH's IG post that ended with "love you" :)  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Biology Lesson said:

I think what we saw on screen was the manifestation of the friendship that developed between them.I remember that when MC ended, Jang Seung-Jo posted a really sweet message on JH's IG post that ended with "love you" :)  

Yea, he did seem like a cute younger brother type,  I remember the bts of the punch scene was sweet too.

• Like 5

On 5/31/2020 at 1:19 PM, The Reel Life said:

truth be told I didn’t feel it (the chemistry) so much in the TMWYS cast, I guess perhaps cos OHJ was such a recluse he probably filmed most of his scenes away from the most of the actors. 

Probably also might be JH purposely distance himself from the cast so as to get into the role of OHJ.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:47 PM, phoenix24 said:

Haha yea they had many outstanding scenes. 

The bromance scenes are more interesting than scenes with FL. Moreover at that time, Boo Choon real wife was expecting a baby & JH gave BC many advices & baby tips.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

I love love love this centre parting hairstyle of his so much!!:wub: Can he style his current hairstyle like this too???

I agree, JH has plenty of good short styles, that's why I wasn't that sad he cut his hair, though we didn't get to see different styles with the long hair like we did 10 years ago... I don't understand why he is so enamored with the bowl cut, maybe because it's easier to manage? 

I also like this hair style, the one he had before his hair grew longer. We never got a charcater with this hair style- 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, budgerie said:

Probably also might be JH purposely distance himself from the cast so as to get into the role of OHJ.

Well that’s possible too but I think maybe more of him really filming very little with them. He was always a recluse haha. 

5 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

I love love love this centre parting hairstyle of his so much!!:wub: Can he style his current hairstyle like this too???

I loveeeee this hairstyle too! It’s abit messy as well but for some reason it looks different and messy in a good way. I’m attributing it to the fact that we can clearly see his eyebrows and there’s a little bit of parting. As long as its not the thick fringe which covers the whole forehead and can’t see the eyebrows! Worse still I really dislike those who curl their front fringe. They do it quite often for korean guys.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

He shaved!  A clean cut look for his wedding anniversary?  He totally shed his previous OHJ look. Like a different person.

12 years of marriage, 18 years of being together. May they both continue to love and live to see their Diamond Wedding Anniversary!  :wub:

• Like 3
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

He shaved!  A clean cut look for his wedding anniversary?  He totally shed his previous OHJ look. Like a different person.

When I first saw the picture that Sidus posted to show that he had a hair cut, his face looked so lean that I kinda suspected they also used a filter on that picture. But seeing this picture from today I realize that he indeed is very lean these days, which kinda explains why some here thought he bulked up. It's not that he bulked up, his fat percentage went down, so his muscles seem more pronounced- 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

When I first saw the picture that Sidus posted to show that he had a hair cut, his face looked so lean that I kinda suspected they also used a filter on that picture. But seeing this picture from today I realize that he indeed is very lean these days, which kinda explains why some here thought he bulked up. It's not that he bulked up, his fat percentage went down, so his muscles seem more pronounced- 

YES!!!! He looks delicious here! His arms and his waistline :wub:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

OK, @corey - so you asked my opinion of Hyena... In short? I really dislike it :) I dislike the main female character- the way what she did in the beginning is glossed over is disgusting to me. A man doing the same thing would have never been presented like that- like it's just another strategy. I dislike the actress's acting- she has the exact same behavior of the prosecuter in TFP- the overly confident, strangely dressed, devil may care professional  woman, that will stop at nothing to win... I guess it's a another character type in Kdramas?  Her acting is not as awful as the actress from TFP, but she has no subtlety in her (also- she should wear a bra, especially if she is going to be filmed running in slow motion... yikes!).

As to male character- that guy is a complete idiot! We are being told by the show that both of them are  very shrewd, but he never shows any shrewdness. Makes a mistake after mistake after mistake... Never able to hide his feelings. And when the show is finally telling us he is being competent- it conveniently goes into a montage of showing him LOOKING professional <_< As to the actor- I'm baffled by the fact that he was even cast to this role. He looks like someone that would be more suited to a supporting role in a comedy. All of his expressions are over the top. I would say that his acting is almost as bad as Lee Honey in TFP... He's presented to us as a very attractive guy, but he really isn't. He doesn't project confidence, often looking awkward, which makes it look like he is playing dressup in his suits, that look ill fitting. 

And that's the main problem in the show- it feels like this entire show is pretending. It's pretending to be sophisticated, when it's actually not. It's trying too hard to be edgy and clever, but it's really not. It's no where close to matching the cleverness of Ms. Temper & Nam Jung-Gi, Miseang, Money Flower or even Midas. In Midas I felt like we had two titans clashing, but not in this show...

In short- I would put this show in the same category as the fiery priest, only not as fun... 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3