7 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

It feels like in the years before FTLY, JH was experimenting a lot with his acting. Sometimes he missed, sometime he hit. It feels like after FLTY that his acting stabilized, though he did still had the occasional miss (Gebonga!!!!!) :D

It's indeed interesting how people are different in their taste.

Actually I like to ask, which is "better"....? To have good script with not so good actors/actress as the leads or to have super good leads with lousy script? Imo, Gaekgu got fairly good casts but the script .....not for me. So I like to hear your opinion on your preference. :grimace:For me, MF & FTLY got good cast & rather good script. MC got good senior cast but script yiaks at some point. My dramaland taste changes as I age or as the years go by. What I enjoyed before may now seem yiaks or old fashioned. Hahaha! As for JH "Gaebong Ah" I think he got carried away or overdo it.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, budgerie said:

Actually I like to ask, which is "better"....? To have good script with not so good actors/actress as the leads or to have super good leads with lousy script? Imo, Gaekgu got fairly good casts but the script .....not for me. So I like to hear your opinion on your preference. :grimace:For me, MF & FTLY got good cast & rather good script. MC got good senior cast but script yiaks at some point. My dramaland taste changes as I age or as the years go by. What I enjoyed before may now seem yiaks or old fashioned. Hahaha! As for JH "Gaebong Ah" I think he got carried away or overdo it.

Oh, a better script, for sure! As much as I love JH's performance in MC, the main plot really hurts it. BW needing to be impressed with Hwi or the girl, that weren't really impressive at all, is ridiculous and reduces from JH's character.

But the script is an odd thing in K drama, isn't it? Especially when talking about live filming. It might start good and end up bad or the other way around. For instance, BM started out bad, and ended up amazing...

I think with most casts JH can produce good performances- I mean in FTLY almost all of the cast thanked him for helping them to improve their character. Even the actress from Voice said that he would stay over just to coach her (though in her case it didn't feel like it helped...). The only problem with casts for me were the FLs from Midas, DRT and WOL. They just were unable to produce any chemistry with JH, and that really hurt my viewing experience...

So more than the cast, after the script- the direction is very important.  The direction messed up Midas to me, even though the plot was good

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

His improvisation here makes it funnier. 

I think the advantage of JH over many other "leads" is that he doesn't mind looking ridiculous. That is why, unlike many "hot" actors that are more busy looking sexy, JH can also do comedy. I remember seeing a meme  saying that JH is as if Johnny Depp and Jim Carrey had a child :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I think the advantage of JH over many other "leads" is that he doesn't mind looking ridiculous. That is why, unlike many "hot" actors that are more busy looking sexy, JH can also do comedy. I remember seeing a meme  saying that JH is as if Johnny Depp and Jim Carrey had a child :D

Indeed. He doesn't mind looking weird or silly or ridiculous for that character. Or even his looks. Look at the bad hairstyle in BPP, Iris, WOL. Mainly that mushroom hairstyle. Some actors won't shave their hair or have a weird hairstyle for the character they play.

1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

Oh, a better script, for sure! As much as I love JH's performance in MC, the main plot really hurts it. BW needing to be impressed with Hwi or the girl, that weren't really impressive at all, is ridiculous and reduces from JH's character.

I think I prefer good casts over good scripts. Hahaha! At least the good cast can "compensate" for the lousy script. But I contradict myself. Gaekgu got fairly good cast but still the drama was off for me.

• Like 3

Also, right now if you try to search JH's name on twitter, it's flooded with results talking about the movie, and looks like the JH in the movie is not a nice guy, so many of the comments about this "JH" are negative... 

Are the comments about him personally or about the character he plays?

The only problem with casts for me were the FLs from Midas, DRT and WOL. They just were unable to produce any chemistry with JH, and that really hurt my viewing experience...

My opinion, his performance in Midas was off for me. And it's just bad that both he & his FL don't produce any chemistry as lovers. The FL in TWDR doesn't have chemistry with most of her MLs. And the FL in WOL is annoying for me. Not her but the role she plays. Is it the acting, is it her smile or her hair? Something is just annoying.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

Are the comments about him personally or about the character he plays?

The comments are about the character from the movie "Sweet and Sour" that is named Jang Hyuk. Seems like that character is not so nice...

My opinion, his performance in Midas was off for me. And it's just bad that both he & his FL don't produce any chemistry as lovers. The FL in TWDR doesn't have chemistry with most of her MLs. And the FL in WOL is annoying for me. Not her but the role she plays. Is it the acting, is it her smile or her hair? Something is just annoying.

I agree that his performance was off in Midas... I wonder if he chose acting that way maybe to prove he can do the exact opposite to Dae gill? Very strange choice to act so reserved and bland... I guess JH himself knew that his performance was off, as he said that he chose to do Money flower cause he looked for another project like Midas to make up for it...

LSY's resolve to win this week, and JH's supporting him- One of the only things I'm liking from this show is the development of friendship between them.

Also, here, notice how both CTH and LSY are leaning on JH's legs :) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPyV3ZvjT5Y/

• Like 2
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

I agree that his performance was off in Midas... I wonder if he chose acting that way maybe to prove he can do the exact opposite to Dae gill? Very strange choice to act so reserved and bland... I guess JH himself knew that his performance was off, as he said that he chose to do Money flower cause he looked for another project like Midas to make up for it...

Midas & DRT were both in 2011. However, his performance in DRT certainly was much better.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Actually I wanted a selfie as the new movie role, not a 'hotel bed' one? Haha... 

Is this a 'bed shot? Lol! I thought he was resting in a car or something.. hahaha! But he looked well rested.  And His friend , Kisup left a comment asking him to use his face for a day..Lol!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

On 6/5/2021 at 11:23 PM, Biology Lesson said:

Well, when annoying stuff happens... Why- the young actor in DRT wasn't annoying? :P Also, right now if you try to search JH's name on twitter, it's flooded with results talking about the movie, and looks like the JH in the movie is not a nice guy, so many of the comments about this "JH" are negative... 

Oh I agree, that ruined my Google Alert results :(

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

On 6/6/2021 at 2:39 AM, Biology Lesson said:

Even the actress from Voice said that he would stay over just to coach her (though in her case it didn't feel like it helped...).

Hahahahahaha thank you.

I hated her character in Voice. Every episode I thought "How can a person so silly and lousy can become a cop?".

I have a question about NBBCC this week episode: I couldn't understand well but did CTH mock JH because of TJ again to embarrass him in front of the guests?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"How can a person so silly and lousy can become a cop?".

Obviously the scriptwriter doesn't know (very much) that cops are supposed to be smarter (hahaha) or alert or whatever it is. Have you watched Beautiful Mind? In the early episodes, the role of the Traffic Policewoman (the FL) really got me boiled up. Seemed like the scriptwriter doesn't know the difference in duties of a TP vs that of a Criminal Detective.

I have a question about NBBCC this week episode: I couldn't understand well but did CTH mock JH because of TJ again to embarrass him in front of the guests?

Are you surprised if CTH mocked JH? Frankly, I'm not. CTH has always given me the impression he's "jealous" . Whether intentionally or not intentionally, constantly harping on the same stale joke is not gentlemanly. Who doesn't have a humble beginning? Even we (who are non artistes) probably also have our own humble beginning. But to constantly bring it out to talk about it, is stale.

• Like 2