1 hour ago, Biology Lesson said:

The subs for ep4 of LOTJ is out, and this episode shows another side of JH- his ability to praise others. You see how he compliments others in a sincere way, and in that way make them more confident. He doesn't just give a generic compliment, but says something very specific about them that he observed, which makes the compliment very significant. The way he praised Bakgoon, saying that only because Bakgoon is on the team that they can achieve the goal of reaching the other island. He says that, gives Bakgoon room to express himself, and at the same time does things himself to ensure that Bakgoon wouldn't fail. It was inspiring to watch! He never took credit for himself, but credited Bakgoon at the end. That's a sign of an ego-less, confident senior... an interesting thing was that the person who first singled out Bakgoon was JH's friend, and not JH, and I wonder if it was at JH's previous command, being shy and not knowing how to approach Bakgoon, or was that Shin Seung Hwan idea. Either way you see how Shin Seung Hwan helps JH...

Also, there was the small acting seminar by the end - the slow turn around :) the chief showed how a comedian does the same scene, and our sweet serious actor commented that doing a comedic scene like that, requires high levels of skill...

And another thing that make me wonder about Yacht expedition- JH was very fast learning how to do the knots for the raft, and the chief even commented that he never saw anyone do such a strong knot... I mean, we already saw him in Real men learning the knots very fast in the Navy episodes, so what was going on in Yacht Expedition?! :blink: Was JH faking it to make the others feel better?!

I also thought it was really nice of him to compliment Park Gun.  This reminds me of what  Kim Jae wook mentioned about Hyuk after filming Voice.

Actor Kim Jae-wook expressed his gratitude for Jang Hyuk.

He recently had an interview with MBN and said, "Jang Hyuk has a kind heart beyond words". In an interview with MBN, Jang Hyuk said, "Kim Jae-wook is diverse. He has many reactions in him".

Kim Jae-wook said, "Everyone, including Lee Ha-na, Baek Sung-hyun and the staff would have felt it too. Jang Hyuk is the center of everything. I experienced his aura near the end of the drama and I felt how he drags in everyone from the center and what a positive influence he is".

He added, "He knows how to respect someone. He is gentle and passionate. He gives us energy and makes us feel free".

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

52 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson I just finished watching the ep myself and I liked it very much. Yes, JH is everyone’s cheerleader, what a cutie. I also never felt that the show was centered around him so now Im thinking those idol fans complaining are being unfair. Why are they singling him out? There are other members doing things and getting featured, not just JH. 

He is very central. It almost feels like he is the MC. But yes- the others also got their screen time in this episode. Also- I really liked the two new comers. But I wonder- In that radio interview, JH referred to the baseball player as his friend, but it didn't seem like he knew him from before the show. Actually the moment the two came, JH became all shy again, moving to the side immediately. :D But seeing how quickly people fall for JH, it makes sense that one day is suffice for him to make a friend... 

52 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

I really enjoyed the teamwork between Jang Hyuk and Bakgoon. Both are hardworking and humble. They made a really great team that made me root and cheer for them. 

About the Yacht knots, maybe the issue is that those knots on the Yacht show had to be done in a specific way. Maybe he knows how to make a good knot but not the specific one that was required on the show (at that time)

I don't know- the disparity between how he was in Yacht Expedition and this show is striking. I wonder why that is...

Oh- and another thing I didn't mention- JH's negotiation skills! :D The production agreed to give them one product, and JH managed to bamboozle them into giving them three! It's clear the production people didn't know how to deal with JH! I loved that!! :Megalol:

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

I also thought it was really nice of him to compliment Park Gun.  This reminds me of what  Kim Jae wook mentioned about Hyuk after filming Voice.

Actor Kim Jae-wook expressed his gratitude for Jang Hyuk.

He recently had an interview with MBN and said, "Jang Hyuk has a kind heart beyond words". In an interview with MBN, Jang Hyuk said, "Kim Jae-wook is diverse. He has many reactions in him".

Kim Jae-wook said, "Everyone, including Lee Ha-na, Baek Sung-hyun and the staff would have felt it too. Jang Hyuk is the center of everything. I experienced his aura near the end of the drama and I felt how he drags in everyone from the center and what a positive influence he is".

He added, "He knows how to respect someone. He is gentle and passionate. He gives us energy and makes us feel free".

Exactly! This is the first time I'm seeing what Kim Jae-wook meant... I still can't believe how lucky I am to be a fan of JH! And I few years ago I didn't even know he existed!

• Like 5

Was JH faking it to make the others feel better?!

I think he was just faking it so that others will not feel like awkward. Knots (the different types with its name) were learnt during military days so unless the other guys have forgotten? We all know JH doesn't forget things (easily) once he learnt it. But knowing him, he doesn't want all the "attention" on him I guess - that would make other guys look inferior.

In SK, once the guy completed his 2 years of army service, he would need to serve 8 years of reservist. IDK how they're called up, yearly basis perhaps for a period of time. So for most guys JH age, things of the military would have been forgotten long ago (hahaha)!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, budgerie said:

I think he was just faking it so that others will not feel like awkward. Knots (the different types with its name) were learnt during military days so unless the other guys have forgotten? We all know JH doesn't forget things (easily) once he learnt it. But knowing him, he doesn't want all the "attention" on him I guess - that would make other guys look inferior.

Or maybe he was on “switch off” mode.

He deserves a break, mentally and physically. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

8 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

I don't know- the disparity between how he was in Yacht Expedition and this show is striking. I wonder why that is...

Well, I didn't think it was so weird when you don't use something you kind of lose it or need something to jog your memory.  I think Yacht Expedition was just that and it makes sense why he was back on track or better in Law of the Jungle.  The time from military or even real men to Yacht was way longer than from Yacht to Law of the Jungle.

Also, Jang Hyuk negotiating sounds more reasonable or less devious as in other variety where they scheme to get their way.  I felt like he worked hard to earn the stuff so well deserve.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

I hope he is not faking anything, I don't like fakers esp in reality TV programs.

Well, he kinda admitted to faking his wrestling loss in Real Men- and that was to be funny... It's not faking his behavior or personality, it's just trying not to appear too competent, that might make him seem boring or make others seem less competent. In this week's episode we saw how he went out of his way to boost up Bakgoon, and for that he toned himself down a bit. It's possible that that's what he did on Yacht expedition. On the other hand, it's possible that he was in a constant state of panic since they were on water, and as a result just couldn't think as clearly as he normally does. who knows. I'm just confused by JH's behavior in this show compared to the other variety shows we've seen...

2 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Well, I didn't think it was so weird when you don't use something you kind of lose it or need something to jog your memory.  I think Yacht Expedition was just that and it makes sense why he was back on track or better in Law of the Jungle.  The time from military or even real men to Yacht was way longer than from Yacht to Law of the Jungle.

Also, Jang Hyuk negotiating sounds more reasonable or less devious as in other variety where they scheme to get their way.  I felt like he worked hard to earn the stuff so well deserve.

Oh, there was nothing devious about it! :) it was just very assertive and charming at the same time... You could see and hear the other guys and people off screen laughing while he was asserting, not asking, that the production will give them 3 things, and not just one, as he will also explore the island... I was very impressed, and again I thought it gave us a little glimpse to how he is in real life

• Like 5

@Biology Lesson But he looked so genuinely confused (and adorable) doing the Yacht knots. I think the prospect of “sandwich” gave him the extra “power” on LOTJ :D He suddenly remembered how to do it due to hunger 

And you are right about his negotiation skills. If that’s how he negotiates his contracts then he’ll be alright :approves:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

6 minutes ago, dramafan33 said:

@Biology Lesson But he looked so genuinely confused (and adorable) doing the Yacht knots. I think the prospect of “sandwich” gave him the extra “power” on LOTJ :D He suddenly remembered how to do it due to hunger 

And you are right about his negotiation skills. If that’s how he negotiates his contracts then he’ll be alright 

Exactly! I remembered that JH said that before he accepts a role, he sits down with the producers and tells them what he requires in order to accept the role- in Chuno it was control over the action scenes of his character. So I guess this is how he negotiates- pleasantly, but assertively :D

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dramafan33 said:

@azureblue7 Waaaaittt! So they already knew each other when they did “Friends in Croatia” or what? :huh:

I'm not sure. He didn't mention when he met Hyuk at Kim Gyuri's birthday. But I think they already know each other before Friends of Croatia.  Maybe Hyuk is the one who suggested that both Kiseop and Seung Hwan should go with him to Croatia?

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

The story of their friendship..

Thank you so much for the translation @azureblue7!

This clip explains why I was suspecting Ki Sup actually works for JH... Apparently he has been behaving like he was! :D

What a great friend JH is ... It feels like more than a friend, JH in a way became like a father to him- notice how Ki Sup looked at JH for approval before he mentioned that his wife is pregnant. Only after JH gave him a sign of approval that Ki Sup shared that news...  And it's fascinating considering Ki Sup's life story, not having his own father in his life, and JH didn't even know about that! 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

4 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Thank you so much for the translation @azureblue7!

This clip explains why I was suspecting Ki Sup actually works for JH... Apparently he has been behaving like he was! :D

What a great friend JH is ... It feels like more than a friend, JH in a way became like a father to him- notice how Ki Sup looked at JH for approval before he mentioned that his wife is pregnant. Only after JH gave him a sign of a approval that Ki Sup shared that news...  And it's fascinating considering Ki Sup's life story, not having his own father in his life, and JH didn't even know about that! 

I guess like what he posted on his IG, Hyuk is like his real brother, genuinely concerned about him.

Screenshot-20210315-234354-Instagram.jpg

• Like 5

The friendship between Kisup and JH makes me teary eyed! It feels like such a genuine sweet friendship which is based on simply getting along. Thats the thing, JHs friendship with the Dragon Bros was more the kind of friendship born out of “life putting you together” like family, roomates, you may be polar opposites but life brings you together and you kinda form a friendship wether you are actually compatible or not. With Kisup its more of a natural chemistry where they met, got along, are on the same wavelength and thats all. Simple and beautiful. Just as Kisup is lucky and grateful to JH, Im glad JH has a friend like him who genuinely likes him, respects him and more importantly “understands” him. As we all know our Hyukie can be a bit “odd” and he may have 1000 friends but loving him is one thing, “getting” him is another. 

• Like 4

Just noticed this IG post about The Swordsman from a popular martial arts fan account. Again, it gets very good comments. It's funny that we, as JH's fans, view the movie differently from martial arts fans. They care less about plots:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMc3HYeIlIn/

What I liked even more was, that a few days before this post, came this post from Chuno, this being the first post involving JH in this account-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMTCzXsoaUQ/

This again shows that JH is Korea's best kept secret when it comes to martial arts, which baffles me- how did he manage to do that?! How did no one in Korea cast him to a good martial arts movie before?! insane... He should have been cast in a martial arts movie immediately after Chuno, and not do Eve and Midas <_< such odd choices... :blink: And looking at the other posts from other martial arts movies, it makes it even clearer just how impressive JH is, also because he has the added advantage of actually being a good actor, that is not that common in martial arts movies.

And lastly, this post is from a movie featuring a character The Swordsman is constantly compared to- RUROUNI KENSHIN, that has a new movie coming. Notice that the fight scenes in The Swordsman are much more impressive and less fake looking. If JH doesn't do another martial arts movie real soon, it will be the biggest mistake from the Korean film industry- They want exposure of their actors in the world? No need to concoct a special 200 actors project, just put JH in a good martial arts movie... he'll do the rest! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMPaQoMIgHM/

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1