[Drama 2012] Bridal Mask 각시탈

ecs707a

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vDrak

@marie67

My thought exactly.

In a sense, it is a stunt double and it is not. Bridal Mask might have more people than just Kang-san. It might be an organization. The stunt double or another Bridal Mask happens to be there because Kang-san asked him to be a distraction, so he could save Mok Dan. If you go back and see it, after the "fake" Bridal Mask distracts the guards, Kang-san leap onto his horse and save Mok Dan. I think the director is very smart. He uses a stunt double for the drama AND make it seems like that stunt double is an actual character in the drama, like a filter character. I don't know if that make sense? lol. So later in the drama, if Kang-san were to have a distraction again he can ask another person in the Bridal Mask's company to go and make one, and of course that person might actually be a stunt double, being use as a character.

@c_gunawan541

You're freaking awesome :D. So many pictures (:.

OMG, ep 4 was epic for me.  I cried so much.  It's rare for me to cry so early in a drama.  Logically I understand where KT is coming from and I still think he's misguided but I like in this episode how we begin to see why KT and KS both think they're helping their family to survive.  I loved that scene when KT comes home and talks to what he thinks is his sleeping brother.  I know some may think JW is overacting too much but he's the hothead and just overly emotional in general.  And I felt that scene was superbly acted.  One is through money and the other is prevent... well, death.  I simply love the noir look of the drama.  Although they've got to fix the continuity!!!  ARRRRGH!  I literally threw a fit at the end of ep 4.  I can't believe I have to wait til Wednesday for the next episode. @-) @-) =D>

Guest Starlitelet

The recent two episodes gave me an adrenaline rush! The last time I had such a thrill was when I was viewing The Princess's Man.

I can't emphasize this drama's organization any further. Bridal Mask is very a well-rounded drama thus far. I know that I had a different perception with the first episode, but at the rate/pace this drama is moving along, my original opinion can be dismissed. I now will admit that I quite like the slow motion parts, especially the one at the end of episode 3. I don't know if that means I got used to it, or that the slow motion captures look less cheesy. Either way, they feel epic now - haha.

The casts is expansive. The storytelling and characters have a lot of depth and room for development. Heck, I've never seen a more violent/menacing/vulgar protagonist in any Korean dramas up-to-date. In fact, I actually admire the scriptwriter for making him so flawed. I applaud how she's not afraid to depict a loathing hero who was originally succumbing to the dark side. When Kang To says he will hurt you, HE WILL DO IT. It's absolutely wonderful how the scriptwriter makes us hate/love him all at the same time or within a span of a few actions. I'm tired of knights in shining armor because most of them are written in a very generic/formulaic manner.

Anyhow, Joo Won and Kang To go hand-in-hand. I can't differentiate b/w the two because I'm already so absorbed into the turmoil he has to face. I must also add that I'm glad they chose a newer casts. It gives these well-deserved actors a chance to shine, especially Joo Won. He's much better than some of the more well-known actors.

I love how some of the flashbacks are interconnected; meaning they follow a sequence of past events. The fact that they successfully connect one flashback to another shows how the drama is organized and consistent. Moreover, the flashbacks are so well put together because they have a meaning behind them! I know a lot of Korean dramas just put flashbacks for the sake of filling in time, but not this drama.

Bridal Mask also have different/refreshing elements that its previous competitors have not touched on. I mean, I never imagined having a circus crew in a drama, let alone an evil protagonist who beats up a his woman. There's also a distinct/realistic tone to this drama; it's dark. The characters are shady and the "world" they're in feels like there's little hope. That is exactly the tone this kind of drama needs - no sugarcoating. The more appropriate description would be that it's raw.

All in all, so far, great performances, intense script, rich cinematography/background/designs, nail-biting/emotional events, and highly intriguing characters. What more can I ask for when only 4 episodes have aired?

My favorite drama list out of the batch I'm watching keeps changing... but for sure, this one looks like the most luxurious one since the beginning.
I hope more people give Bridal Mask a chance. 

Guest alysanne

@marie67:  I've been trying to Google even just a synopsis of the manhwa but I couldn't find anything on it.  Maybe because it's quite old.   I hope someone here in the forums has read it and will share some details with us. :)

@Starlitelet: I agree--the writer should really be praised for taking risks. There's a danger that people will just hate the character and not care what happens anymore, but they've managed to give Kang-to something that at least makes us look forward to some sort of redemption.

I think Joo Won also deserves credit for making the Kang-to character work so well. He's convincing when he's vulnerable, and he's also convincing when he's angry and violent. That's difficult to pull off, I think.

There was a discussion in the Dramabeans recap comments about who can portray Kang-to better than Joo Won. I can't immediately think of someone who can successfully walk that thin line among the actors in Joo Won's age range. (But, disclaimer: I'm new to KDramas, and maybe there's a lesser known actor out there I haven't seen yet who may be perfect for the role.) Many actors can do vulnerable or romantic really well, but the kind of almost sadistic rage we see in Kang-to when he tortures people or when he's angry is not easy to portray. I agree that Joo Won over-acts a bit sometimes, but overall, I think he balances all the layers of Kang-to's character very well. Plus his dedication to the role and his willingness to take a risk to portray it considering other actors have refused the role out of fear of some backlash in Japan is also significant. :)

Guest kittenmasks

@lyra_brillantez

I'm loving the idea of the countess playing for the other side. I hadn't noticed it, but now that you point it out, it's a fascinating correlation.

I tried to look for the original manga, but couldn't find it. I sent an email to my cousin, so I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that he can get it!!!

Guest crazy lulu

greetings. i LOVE this drama. and i love joo won. can't wait for ep 5! just thought i'd drop by to share the love.

Guest bluedelacour

It's weekend I love weekends 
BUT I NEED EP 5
jajaja Aish I'm so addicted to this drama that I need my dosis XDDDD
Thanks for all the spoilers, pics, videos, gifts really help me ^^

Jin Se Yun of Bridal Mask : a Cinderella story

jin-se-yun-4.jpg

As we know, Bridal Mask had difficulty to find its cast because many actors and actresses were hesitant to play as the drama centers on anti Japanese occupation during 1930s.
That’s probably the reason why Bridal Mask cast a relatively new face Jin Se Yun to play the leading lady, Mok Dan.
And it’s like a cinderella story for 19-year-old rookie actress Jin Se Yun to grab the main role of a such big budget drama.

When Bridal Mask aired, many viewers still didn’t know who’s the girl who play the brave Mok Dan. Although Jin Se Yun already played the leading lady for SBS daily night drama, My Daughter Kkotnim, but she’s not an A-list actress.

In the recent interview with Newsen, Jin Se Yun said that she was surprised and stunned when she heard she got the role. She said ,”When I met the producers, I was still in the middle of shooting SBS’ My Daughter Kkotnim. Therefore I wasn’t expecting to much. I was overwhelmed when I was chosen as the main character of the previous project (My Daughter Kkotnim), but lead role of Bridal Mask really caught me off guard so I was stunned”.

The character of Mok Dan, a brave girl who works in a circus requires high skills in acting and action, that’s why Jin Se Yun was quite worried as she said,” I was worried. It was quite confusing for me to understand the tone of Mok Dan in the early stages of shooting because at that time I was so into my previous character Kkotnim”.

Although many people called her cinderella now as she nabs the leading lady for such a prestigious drama, Jin Se Yun never dreamed to be an actress.
She was known as ‘Yoona from Jamwon’ during highschool, she would attend events pretended to be the famous Yoona of SNSD and she then received many love calls from entertainment agency.

Jin Se Yun said ,” There were several times when I had opportunities to be a singer, but an actress never crossed my mind. I luckily was chosen as a model for commercials. I was happy when the commercials were aired on TV and printed in newspapers. When I was shooting commercials, many people suggested me to try acting. I thought at that time that acting was boring because all I have to do is memorizing the lines. But when I finally took acting lessons, I started to enjoy it”.

Jin Se Yun’s early acting jobs were small roles in SBS’ drama It’s Okay Daddy’s Girl and movie White : Curse of Melody. And she said that she learnt many things for that experience.
Her next job was MBC’s drama The Duo which strengthened her acting foundation.
Jin Se Yun finally took her first leading role in daily drama My Daughter Kkotnim and the drama allowed her to experience a lot of joy. She said ,” I loved meeting new people and observed other cast’s acting. The fun of the job is that we work together”.

In the end of the interview, Jin Se Yun said ,” While I was acting, I feel that my job is to be an actress. I came out of nowhere and got the lead role. There’s a lot of opportunity for people to dislike me but all the drama’s staffs, actors and acting teachers approached me with love. I want to show the audience a different side of Kkotnim through Bridal Mask. It would be my goal to deliver a matured actress”.

jin-se-yun-1.jpg

jin-se-yun-3.jpg

jin-se-yun-2.jpg

Source : Newsen

Credits: Koreanvibe.com

gifts for ep4

2m5191x.gif28bybdg.gif

2qw31xv.gif11v2pmo.jpg

2imd0j.gif2jg2p94.gif

@fuckyeah-kdramas 

Really love ep.4. Amazing drama! And waiting for OST. Very beautiful song was in this episode!  :x

Guest miakalifa

I love this drama. I have a feeling that Kang To will be the Bridal Mask, when he hears about what the Japanese government is actually doing,

I wish we could find parts of The Bridal Mask Manga

gifts for ep4

2qw31xv.gif11v2pmo.jpg

2imd0j.gif2jg2p94.gif

@fuckyeah-kdramas 

Really love ep.4. Amazing drama! And waiting for OST. Very beautiful song was in this episode!  :x

Guest kheir

i have to admit that this drama is getting better and better on ep 3 and 4...briliant acting and story. i really can't wait for ep 5.fpr me..phantom wins on the 1st and 2nd round.but gaksital beat it on the 3rd and 4th round.

@lyra_brillantez

I'm loving the idea of the countess playing for the other side. I hadn't noticed it, but now that you point it out, it's a fascinating correlation.

I tried to look for the original manga, but couldn't find it. I sent an email to my cousin, so I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that he can get it!!!

Archived