[Variety] K-Pop Star (K팝 스타)

Guest fanda4000

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jenny1430266544

I had a slight feeling that the Jimin performance almost got ruined by JYP's loving stare. lol

ugh! I totally agree. I was irritated and was worried that this may skew others' reception towards her. While I think Park Ji MIn was good and possibly had the best performance of the night, I don't know if she deserved the standing ovations and big show of clapping.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I don't know if Ji-min deserved those

100s from BoA and Yang hyun-suk

- I thought she was good, but not great. I have to admit, though, that when she hit those high notes on "birds fly" towards the end, I was speechless.

I'm so annoyed with some of the casting choices though -

Ha-yi in SM? YG should've casted her - I absolutely loved her rendition of Im Jae-bum's 'for you' and Yang hyun-suk trained her for that round!

I agree with you, I know Ji Min always seems to merit high marks, but I don't know if I would have handed out those marks as easily as they all did. I would have lowered the marks 5-6 points. I was speechless at some point but it wasn't AS speechless as I have been in the past with her performances.

Good point about YG previously casting Ha-Yi for the Im Jae-Beom song - totally didn't occur to me, to think in that way.

I also didn't think Jimin's performance was all that breath taking like how the judges reacted like it's the best performance they have ever seen. I didn't like how it was super soft and slow in the first half, and second half was all just high notes. There wasn't a natural progression towards the high notes imo. I liked her "I believe I can fly" much better. I'm writing this even when I think she's the best singer of the show. She still had the best performance of the night.

other than that, 1st pick SM, BoA chooses Hayi.. WHAT? lol

once again, I agree. I totally agree that "I believe I can fly" is better than the songs she's done so far live. I'm very interested which company she will be casted by (for real).

I obviously didn't expect BoA to pick Hayi, but I'd be interested in how she transforms, because I think she will.

I can totally see Baek Ahyeon becoming the next IU.

me too! ^5 I also very much agree with JYP. The girl might not be the most limber dancer, but she DEFINITELY has "it" that could be turned to a much greater potent dance ability.

---

As for Lee Seung Hoon, I still have faith in him. I know most people are fed up with him/people who see something in him, but like YG said in this episode, Seung Hoon is up there for a reason not due to his singing skills, that the judges have been blamed by many for keeping him yet the judges still see him as having something going on . Yeah I'm annoyed by the half-singing half-rapping thing too, and I haven't seen a truly impressive stage from him in a long while (though today's was quite liberating in the sense that I really just enjoyed it without trying to analyze it or being confused by it): however, I have a feeling that one day he will "come to his senses" so to speak, hopefully soon, and blow the bejesus out of all of our expectations. I don't know why I feel this way, I just do. It's kind of like what JYP said: that the contestants try and try and try to improve in an area that they just seeem to be stuck at, then at once, just like that, something clicks and they are able to make it and possibly even exceed expectations. I am hoping for that to happen to LSH, and I actually believe that it will.

As for Lee Seung Hoon, I still have faith in him. I know most people are fed up with him/people who see something in him, but like YG said in this episode, Seung Hoon is up there for a reason not due to his singing skills, that the judges have been blamed by many for keeping him yet the judges still see him as having something going on . Yeah I'm annoyed by the half-singing half-rapping thing too, and I haven't seen a truly impressive stage from him in a long while (though today's was quite liberating in the sense that I really just enjoyed it without trying to analyze it or being confused by it): however, I have a feeling that one day he will "come to his senses" so to speak, hopefully soon, and blow the bejesus out of all of our expectations. I don't know why I feel this way, I just do. It's kind of like what JYP said: that the contestants try and try and try to improve in an area that they just seeem to be stuck at, then at once, just like that, something clicks and they are able to make it and possibly even exceed expectations. I am hoping for that to happen to LSH, and I actually believe that it will.

I agree with you, his last performances were not THAT impressive, i still have to think about the choreo he did with the two other dancers back then. I want him doing sth awesome like that again :D

I had to go on Youtube and just watch Ji Min's performance after all these comments about her... OMG!!!!!! When BoA and JYP were shaking, clapping, in awe, etc... I was like... IS THIS A JOKE??? Am I missing something??? Ji Min was great as always, but I wanted to laugh when the judges were all googley eyed...

Guest BoACK18

I agree! I think that this week's performance was definitely better than his SE7EN performance. He's starting to capitalize on what he's good at (rapping, dancing, and joking around). I hope YG will be able to help him be better than he is now because he really has a lot of potential.

As for Park Ji Min, I liked her performance but I HATED how the judges were fawning over her. Giving her 100's is like telling her that she can't get any better and that there's no room for improvement.

‘K-Pop Star’ releases its 2nd digital single ‘K-Pop Star Special No.2′

SBS‘ ‘K-Pop Star‘ recently released the second part of its digital single, ‘K-Pop Star Special No.2‘. Lee Ha Yi, Park Ji Min, and the Superals were featured in the album, which hit music sites on March 28th KST.

Back on March 21st, ‘K-Pop Star’ released its first single, which included Lee Ha Yi’s cover of Im Jae Bum‘s “For You” and Yoon Hyun Sang‘s self-composed song, “Farewell“.

One of the songs on the newly released digital single is Lee Ha Yi’s rendition of “Mercy“. With over 3 million views on Daum Media Player, her cover of “Mercy” has drawn hot response from netizens and has also brought in new fans. Lee Ha Yi performed the song during the battle audition of ‘K-Pop Star’ and with this song, she surpassed her rival, Park Ji Min, and safely moved onto the live broadcast.

On the other hand, Park Ji Min has also received an explosive amount of interest after her audition cover of “Rolling in the Deep“. Her cover of the song will also be included on the 2nd single.

Lastly, ‘K-Pop Star’ included Superals’ powerful performance of “Fame” after netizens continually requested that the full song be released. The unofficial group, which formed during the casting audition segment, consisted of contestants Lee Michelle, Park Ji Min, Lee Seung Joo, and Lee Jung Mi. With their powerful and perfect harmonization, the four ladies received much praise from the three judges.

A representative of ‘K-Pop Star’ stated, “We appreciate the amount of love being shown to the released singles and will work harder to continue to offer and share the music. We hope viewers will continue to show their interest and support as we will be showing a more professional, high quality stage performances by the finalists.”

Source: 1

It seems to me like Hayi is the best seller?

I am wondering how the sales affect the judges decision...

‘K-Pop Star’ releases its 2nd digital single ‘K-Pop Star Special No.2′

Source: 1

Supearls (수펄스) - Fame [KPOP Star]

credits to AsianDreamMusic youtube.

"According to the news, they have a re-union last week to record the song. I do like their audition ver. better but I'm actually impressed that Michelle and Jeong Mi are able to bring out their superb vocals since they got vocal cord nodules. The staffs also said that instead of doing their solos one by one, the girls stayed together throughout the whole recording session, gaining praise for their superior teamwork. :)"

- anelecsat @ youtube

It's so disappointing the studio recordings are not as good as the live ones. I almost feel they were rushed like done in just one take. Compare this to the Superstar K3 studio recordings, the quality just isn't very polished as it should be.

LSH is pretty much set in stone to be signed to YG. Nobody mentioned it but when he was in the bottom two against Baek Ji Woong two weeks ago, Papa YG looks like he was about to cry and almost in prayer.

Guest Jenny1430266544

my comments, written mere minutes after watching the march 31st episode:

I'm mega sad that "guitar boy" Park Jae Hyung was eliminated... I honestly actually seriously contemplated that Park Ji Min would get eliminated when it was down to the last two. I don't know why, but this episode made me feel this way. Before this episode I somewhat liked Park Jae Hyung but always was hesitant about him because, like the judges often point out, that his "basics" aren't solid enough. I could see him as very successful due to his image (which is honest), but wasn't sure about him as an actual solo singer. In this episode, a lot of my hesitancy went away because I thought he showed an immense improvement, especially in the second half of the performance. In any case, I'd somehow suddenly opened up to him. I was convinced enough by his performance in this episode that he would be voted (by the texting viewers) over Park Ji Min. But now that he is eliminated, I seriously wonder what his future holds now.

On Lee Seung Hoon: the most significant thing that hit me was that the level of of support and effort put out by YG staff/company impacted the rapper/dancer's performance at a fundamental level. I was FIRST impressed with what the company put out, and SECOND impressed with the rest, including what Lee Seung Hoon displayed. This is not a comment fawning over YG -- what I'm saying is more along the lines of: being backed up by a corporation with money shows (not judging whether being backed up by money is good or bad -- just that it creates significant impact on the art that is displayed). The comment made by Yang Hyun Suk ("I watched LSH practice and prepare for this performance with all the help of the top YG staff all week... then I wondered how on earth LSH had prepared all those stages BEFORE he had the help of YG, including writing raps, choreographing, and coming up with ideas" [sorry this is a total paraphrase of how I remembered it in my head, please correct me if I am not accurate]) -- this comment left an impression in my head. I want LSH to "up his game", so to speak, now that YG has his back for one more week. This specific performance didn't wow me as much as I wanted it to wow me, but I must also add that I'm extremely critical, especially towards those I take a liking to. I sincerely agree with BoA that LSH needs to better his pronunciation, because I found it extremely distracting too. I usually can understand most lyrics in a given Korean hiphop song no problem, but this one was hard just because of how LSH handles it. However, I enjoyed the setting/stage ideas far more than any other settings/stage ideas that LSH has shown since the live stages. It seemed to suit him, and therefore seemed more authentic. (as a side note, I thought through his whole performance that he rapped 100% of the original song's lyrics, not his own, which really confused me. So I need to go back and watch it again.)

I could get into more about LSH, but I won't.

Park Ji Min - I'm expecting much from what she will show next week. I think it's crucial that she overcomes her cold/throat problems. I am very curious as to in what ways YG will help her, next week.

Baek Ah Yeon - It was not my favourite performance but she definitely pulled off her mission well. I was solidly convinced of her attempted "womanliness" and "sexiness" that the song requires.

Lee Michelle - I agreed very much with what YG said about her performance (that she is flawless but does not have that "it" quality that immediately brings her to the forefront and an assured #1 position over other contestants). In many moments I felt genuine musical and singing talent and I think it is hard to forget such feelings felt.

Lee Ha Yi - I thought this was a good selection of a song, but that it could have been an even better selection of a song (same complaint I have with Park Ji Min). I don't have a big problem with the fact that JYP took Ha Yi this time around but I'm especially weary of the fact that JYP's style is to make his singers a little bit more "pop" than I personally like (I do not have this weariness with the other two companies, however -- I know, it's kinda weird). Looking back, I liked her performance "Duffy" (which JYP trained) but there was something that tugged at me that wanted to say otherwise. I'm hoping Ha Yi will improve in a real way next week, though I personally find it hard to get excited about her next stage because I know she won't be eliminated. Suspense is everything maybe?

OK, that's enough from me. People, if you saw the latest episode, please speak up!

Guest footy

Hi guys,

I'm trying to look for Korean - English translators who wouldn't mind  translating Lee Seung Hoon's self-composed rap lyrics in his latest  Dynamic Duo's 어머니의 된장국 performance? I'm eager to know what he raps about  but Google Translate just wouldn't do its job... tears.giftears.giftears.gif

I would really appreciate anyone who's willing to help out...

치열한 입신 전쟁 뒤

그토록 원하던 대학을 서울로

넉넉치 않은 형편에

낮에는 학생 밤에는 알바생

비싼 등록금은 20대에 그녀를 빚쟁이로 만들고

어두운 밤거리 혼자 터벅터벅 다니긴 무섭고

서울의 삶 너무 탁한 공기

그리워지는 어머니의 온기

내일 아침도 빵으로 때우는

그녀에게 필요한 건 바로

어어 어어어어 어머니의 된장국

담백하고 맛있는 그 음식이 그리워

그 때 그 식탁으로 돌아가고픈

어어어어어어 어머니의 된장국

담백하고 맛있는 그 음식이 그리워

잠깐의 생각만으로도 배고픈

술에 취한 중년의 신사

사회에선 한물간 스타

한때는 앞만 보고 고고

인생역전 그의 꿈은 로또

가진 건 없어도

가족을 무기로 나 자신과 싸우고

잘나가던 과거는 털고

오늘도 자식 생각에 휴일을 반납

아빠는 외롭지 않아

너희들이 잘 자라고 있잖아

술 기운에 몽롱한 새벽

그가 가전하게 생각나는 건 바로

어어 어어어어 어머니의 된장국

담백하고 맛있는 그 음식이 그리워

그 때 그 식탁으로 돌아가고픈

어어어어어어 어머니의 된장국

담백하고 맛있는 그 음식이 그리워

잠깐의 생각만으로도 배고픈

어어 어어어어 어머니의 된장국

담백하고 맛있는 그 음식이 그리워

그 때 그 식탁으로 돌아가고픈

어어어어어어 어머니의 된장국

담백하고 맛있는 그 음식이 그리워

잠깐의 생각만으로도 배고픈

어어어어어어 어머니의 된장국

어어어어어어 어머니의 된장국

어어어어어어 어머니의 된장국

담백하고 맛있는 그 음식이 그리워

잠깐의 생각만으로도 배고픈

seq01.gif

Guest kimmyrout

To be honest, my interest in this show is flagging. I'm holding on for two reasons: Ha-yi, and the fact that I've watched it from the beginning so I need to see how it ends. :P I think I'm disappointed because I have high expectations every week, and the contestants just don't deliver...at least as much as I expect them to.

Surprisingly, I liked Lee Seung-hoon's performance the best. It seemed very well put together and professional, and he gets bonus points from me because I love that Dynamic Duo song!

Park Ji-min: overrated in my opinion. Yes, she's good, but the judges seem to think she's this genius which I'm skeptical of. The only performance of hers that I've liked so far is 'I Believe I Can Fly'. Plus, girl needs to learn how to control her emotions - I swear, she cries EVERY episode, after the elimination. She's still young though so it's understandable..

Baek Ah-yeon and Lee Michelle: solid performances. Not much to say here.

Lee Ha-yi: good song choice. Ha-yi is my favorite contestant, so I'm super sad that she hasn't been doing as well on the live shows. It's like her performances lack that magnetic intensity from her pre-live show renditions.

Man...top 5 next week! It's really getting down to the wire. I have no idea who'll get cut - maybe Michelle. I think Ha-yi and Ji-min are shoe ins (at least for next week), and if Lee Seung-hoon does well next wk, I think he'll make it too.

Guest Jenny1430266544

^ interesting points. My interest is definitely flagging too compared to the beginning of the show when so many contestants seemed to have so much potential inside. However I think it's important to understand how the show progresses, and the contestants.

I watched the same episode a second time (skipping from perf to perf). I must say that my approach to the performances is totally different when I watch it the first time around (with breath-held suspense) than the second time, when I'm much more relaxed and looking for clues I might have missed the first time that might give me greater insight to each of the contestants' ability and tendencies.

It's weird because I'm not really sure who I'm "rooting" for. I'm rooting for many contestants in different ways. At the very beginning of the show I was a diehard fan of Lee Ha Yi, but after a while (maybe after the top 10 were picked, ironically), I no longer felt the need to hold onto be a diehard fan.

Personally I think Park Ji Min could/should win the competition itself, but with the unsaid general agreement that this is at the end a TV show first and that the top few contestants can't really be compared on a scale of numerical points, just because they're different. I can see Lee Ha Yi or Seung Hoon having success/doing what they like even without winning first place on the show . I think how the contestants change after the competition ends would be interesting to keep track of, because they would no longer be competing on such an overt manner.

This show has actually given me a greater insight to what pop music is all about, and what kind of pop stars "stay" at the end. Not just in Kpop, but in the world of pop music in general.

Guest sunnymushrooms

^Agree that interest has been flagging, but that might be because I have been more busy lately.

Anyway, spoiler for ep 18:

I honestly was surprised at who was eliminated. I thought his performance was STRONG. Maybe he isn't "pop" material so much as just fun, great, musician material. I feel like he should remain in the music scene, however he plans to do so.

I thought Hayi and Jimin's performance were both rather weak this episode... maybe I have too high of an expectation, like kimmyrout and Jennylee mentioned above. I think I understood why Jimin cried this episode because I thought in comparison Jimin had a weaker perf than Jaehyung. He was fun. Same as Seunghoon. I feel like truly "enjoying" the performance makes me root for a performer more.

I didn't really have a "I LOVE" performance this week around... maybe Michelle's? I like Ahyeon's voice, but I felt like it was a bit... stretched and thin. Maybe I am too used to her voice being only with a solo piano. Thinking about it... yeah, I like it best when her soft voice is paired with simple instrumentals, so it isn't buried among the music.

Maybe I'm being picky... but.. yeah, I feel sad Jaehyung was ousted. Honestly... It seems like the girl performers are forgetting to enjoy themselves, which is a lot of the fun in watching a performer...?

I don't know what the judges are looking for... but anyway.

My guess is that Jimin will win. Which I don't mind. I like all the contestants, and I think she is exceptional (youth = loads of time to improve, and... her voice...I also remember her FACE used to just show all the enjoyment of performing. Even up to the first live broadcast... That being said, I thought her perf last week was exceptional too.) If she does win, I don't know whether I want to see her debut right away (which is the prize right?) or get some training first and then debut. I think the quality which comes from her is sort of unstable...?

That being said, I'll enjoy the rest of the show. The endings ARE starting to tug at my heartstrings. At the end of this episode, I was honestly nervous for all the contestants.

Augh, I miss SuPearls. THAT was fun. And harmony and friendship in a package. It might be something like a one-night stand and romanticized in my head, it could have gone all wrong.

But we'll never know. And all I know is that they're going to be framed forever in my mind by Fame. (And The Boys).

Guest Hishigi

^

^

The girls of SuPearls are going to have a special comeback this week!

(I found the news here http://m.media.daum.net/media/entertain/newsview/20120405104705301)

Can't wait. > <

Archived