[Variety] K-Pop Star (K팝 스타)

Guest fanda4000

I'm also hooked on The Voice Korea now. ^_^ The contestants on that show are of a much higher caliber. To be fair though, they're also much older than the K-Pop Star young'uns and have had more training and life experience.

yes, I love that show too. Most of those contestants are professionals. I really like that big guy with the thick glasses and I hope he wins. lol

[EDITED A SECOND TIME]

but I seem to to be the only idiot who can't find a decent KPOPSTAR Episode 15 on youtube. the last youtube user I watched from (http://www.youtube.com/user/KPOPKDRAMAKSHOW) had their account removed/deleted :-/... does anyone have a link for me? Thanks in advance!! I need to catch up so I can join in the conversation...

The only good way to watch it now since SBS is blocking all YouTube videos is torrents. If you are good with software, it's easy to use. I'd suggest this tutorial http://www.utorrent.com/help/guides/beginners-guide

You can also watch it live every Sunday 1am PST on iSBS or on http://www.ionair.tv/main.php

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOt even gonna feel bad for saying this because I think this is just part of me not understanding Korean aesthetics or something but I REALLY don't think Nayoon is that pretty. I read a lotta comments saying that Nayoon has looks like she can be a girl group and i'm thinking blecccch.

She looks like a pretty, but still very average girl to me... especially coming from Cali, where pretty Asian girls are dime a dozen. I actually think her face looks way awkward. Her mom is super pretty though... when they showed her in the stands today?

I actually think Jimin is the prettiest out of the girls. Once she loses more weight, she has by far the best facial features - big eyes, good round forehead. Ahyeon is very cute, and Kind of reminds me of Brown Eyed Girls Gain with her single lidded eyes... i'm sure if she goes for a heavy eyeliner look she can look fierce. Lee Michelle is gorgeous, i mean, she's mixed so she's naturally got that afroasian look, and like Jimin, once she loses weight, she should start going for more western influenced makeup looks (Neutral tones, focus on contouring) rather than Korean/Asian style (lots of sparkly shimmery eye make up.. which is kinda bleh on her because of her darker complexion it just looks like she got lost in glitter).

As for boys, Lee SeungHOon and Park Jaehyung are good looking, but I think Baek Jiwoong may be most stable vocally... I can easily imagine LSH with some guyliner makeup style and as the "charisma moodmaker' in a boy group. In fact, out of all the boys, he probably is the most promised to get into a boy group after this. LSH isn't a great singer, everyone knows, but i'm sure he'll become a trainee at one of the big3 after this and debut.

Park Jaehyung, like Boa said before, is typical "hun-nam," boy that warms your heart. PJH is also trying to protect his throat b/c i think they said he has a mild vocal nodule. dunno how PJH will fit into a Kpop scene though, his musical preference isn't very mainstream in Korea. TBH he needs a little more vocal training if he's gonna go solo, and yet band-type boy groups aren't very mainstream in Korea.

Yoon Sanghyun... i dunno, his look isn't my preference, and he seems so soft spoken... i dunno how he's gonna capture the audience? Because singing well is one thing, but being a star = having something else that catches ppl's attention, long enough so that they notice that you sing well.

Baek Jiwoong is the most stable vocally but he doesn't seem to get a lotta love from the judges... ?

Guest Jenny1430266544

Badboy Yardy - I did find a torrent download. Thank goodness I was able to watch it.

My thoughts (WARNING: REALLY LONG):

I was surprised that Lee Seung Hoon had higher overall standing than Lee Michelle... as much as I have hope for LSH and see great potential in, this one didn't sit right with me at all. Not sure if I'm relieved with his high points or puzzled (in a slightly negative way... it almost seemed like a popularity contest). Like YG said (or what I think he meant when he commented), I think LSH has something greater in him. He doesn't need to rely on ideas that are merely amusing or situation-appropriate (or, perhaps, he does need to rely on them, but he needs to bring honesty to his performances so that his form complements the function of the performance). I know from the beginning he has posed himself as a "fun-maker" who causes what-will-he-do-next expectation out of the judges and audience, but to be completely honest I think he would "explode" (a word the judges are often) if he were serious for a change, using ideas (hopefully powerful) that do not subvert what he is doing. Basically I want him to stop parodying himself and let him just be himself. The fact that the guy came up to Seoul from Busan to pursue a career/work in music and dance makes me believe in him that he has something to say. I love that he goes for far-fetching ideas but I want him to land on the right one that will give him the most power to say what he wants to say. I hope he proves that he's not just someone who provides a show, but someone who delivers a clearer message through his techniques.

Baek Ah Yeon - She's adorable, and consistent in her work. She's definitely lovable in a "Korea's own darling" sort of way, and though she's 20 I feel like she has an innocence (and by extension naivete?) in her.

Baek Ji Woong - Good perf, I can see that he's improved surely even if it may seem subtle.

Park Ji Min - Love her song choice. But I totally agree with YG/Yang Hyun Suk when he says that she can do EVEN BETTER. I found JYP's comment valid, maybe he is a perfectionist like me if everyone else is puzzled about his comment that she sounds like a 40-year-old woman...

Lee Ha Yi - I understand why so many people are into her, and I am sincerely hoping that the general public doesn't screw up on Korea's part. Lee Ha Yi has been winning first place in every single "online vote" (counts 10% towards overall point total) and it almost seems like there's an army of netizens (also armed with cellphones so they can vote during the show) who are rooting for her in a blind way. NETIZENS! Don't screw this one up, if you stir controversy the show's reputation will decline, and that's not fair since IMHO SBS is doing a very good job of keeping things straightforward and fair as possible. I'm not completely used to Korean singing/talent-type TV shows, I did watch the beginning of the first season of MNet Superstar K but found a lot of it too American-Idolsy and didn't continue after a bunch of episodes (I don't even know who won...). I find SBS Kpop Star's approach to the "contest" part of the show a lot more sensible.

that said, I agree with YG/Yang Hyun Suk that her middle notes were a lacking in something. I don't know if this makes sense but many of the not-so-high-notes sounded hollow and flat (b, not #) to me. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it didn't do the song any good. She does look bored, un-stimulated and almost worried, hence the comments about her seeming inconfidence. I personally think she is confident (or at least she was moreso in previous episodes), but in Lee Ha Yi's standards, I think confidence is a very close thing to being bored... because she has less to be scared of! (this is my theory but) As she progresses on she realizes that people really put her down as 1st or 2nd contender and that gives her a feeling of "so... what do I do now?" sort of attitude towards how she handles things. It's kind of like people who get more depressed the more wealthy they become. Depression happens not only when one is sad, but when one feels that they have nothing (new) to contribute to the world and feel increasingly numb about the things that one does care about that they cannot bring themselves to action. LHY does get comments and advice about how she could improve her performances, but if she is not convinced of the faults herself and if she does not convince herself enough to care about the things she needs to fix/improve on, she's going to slip and slide.

I'll comment some more later, but... I thought all the contestants looked great. I understand what people mean about the top contestants looking more idol-sy/popstar-ish, but I think there IS a fine line between CONTRIVED to achieve a certain "look" or "feel" and merely REFINED to take sharp edges of and/or add some structure to shapeless aspects. If they really aspire to be a Kpop Star, then I think this refinement is definitely needed (compare first episode Lee Ha Yi and latest few episodes of Lee Ha Yi... though I TOTALLY see the attractiveness of the first episodes, she couldn't stay that way to lead the interest of the mainstream public). However, I also understand concerns regarding too polished of an image and definitely think that HOW the "refinement" is done is important, and should be handled carefully. Remember, a "pop star" doesn't just sing/dance, they can go to the extent of being "icons" (what they embody + personify, regarding music and even outside music, ie. a "diva", a "hun-nam"). A good pop star definitely must be able to manage their own image, and must convince themselves to be show different sides of themselves while still holding true to what makes them honestly them.

PHEW. That was loooong. I haven't seen Voice Korea but may go after it when this current show is over. I personally can't handle TV shows well because I never watch anything off of TV period

Guest kittenmasks

Baek Jiwoong is the most stable vocally but he doesn't seem to get a lotta love from the judges... ?

SO TRUE!

His perf this week was really good, too.

I would really like to know how the judges decide the scores. Most of the time, I feel like it's just a number they pull out of the air, especially Park Jin Young. JYP's scores are ridiculously low for the real vocal talents in this competition.

I think Kim Na Yun is a doll. She's so adorable and she's going to grow up to be a beautiful young woman :) I wish her the best in everything.

Hayi is really boring to watch since the live performances started! :( Actually, I don't really like the live part of the show... the auditions were so much more better.. imo..

Does anyone else think Park Jae Hyung's mom looks superrr scary??? Haha I was like Wow, I don't ever want to richard simmons her off!

with the remaining 8, for me it's difficult to see anyone getting eliminated in the future *sighs*

sure, I favorite some over the others..ie. Michelle,Baek Jiwoong and Park Jimin, but every contestant has his/her own charm.

Does anyone else think Park Jae Hyung's mom looks superrr scary??? Haha I was like Wow, I don't ever want to richard simmons her off!

really? I think his mom is a really pretty and elegant lady.

btw, it's so obviously that BoA really favors PJM and PJH... :phew:

Guest dreamy21

Is there a THE VOICE thread here? I think I've converted to watching that show instead of this one. The judges on KPOP STAR just annoy me too much and they only want you to sing one way. THE VOICE has a much varied genre of singers (plus the contestants are way better looking and quirky *Sam and Bae Geun Suk* cough cough) lol jk. haha

really? I think his mom is a really pretty and elegant lady.

Oh yes, definitely!! She's very pretty :) I just thought that when they showed her on TV, she didn't look very happy so I was a bit scared haha.

Baek ji Woong T.T ............................................

NO!!!! :tears:

I'm so sad. Downloading Ep 16 now...

Guest kimmyrout

Can't believe BJW got cut...and over LSH!

I really thought LSH would be the one to go this round. I think he's a fun character but not sure if he's talented enough to compete with the other contestants. I was cringing throughout his performance because the boy cannot sing. It would be one thing if he had a good tone which could mask the fact that he's not technically skilled, but he only sounds good rapping or doing that half-singing/half-rapping style.

I still don't like the live format, and the audience has no manners! I'm fine with cheering when the performance is over, but DURING the performance? UGH! It totally kills the mood!!

Lee Hayi is so adorable btw. Her voice sounded incredible in the intro part of the song but like the judges said, you could tell she was out of breath dancing and singing at the same time. :(

Guest Jaejoongsgirl<3

At the end of today's show you could see how sad LSH was and he didnt lift his head up when he found out that BJW got cut and not him. I think he was like a 100% sure that he was out today.

But at the end of the day this is a KPOP Star show which aims to find an idol. And LSH got saved by the audience and viewers alike. He has that you know idol material. Regardless of judges scores, if the audience keeps on supporting him like now he will still be on the show. He was number 4 on the online vote, and number 1 amongst the guys.

Oh and did and YHS face when IU chose him to do a duet with was the cutest thing ever!!!! HAHAHA lol he was soooo shy.

And also loved PJH rendition of This Love. It was sooooooo gooooood!

So sweet, a little fancam after he got eliminated:

It's nice to see that they seem like friends :)

Episode 15: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xpffno_yy-120311-kpop-star-ep15-1-2_fun

Episode 16: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/YIJvu5XqrLk/

Guest fresh

I hate how the host stalls time when they are about to tell you who will be eliminated. They should prepare some special stages starting next week.

Lee Hayi is my personal favorite, but I'm also rooting for Michelle. She's from my town! I swear I saw her around before...

Guest kimmyrout

They just released Ha-yi's rendition of Lim Jae-bum's 너를위해 as a single, along with Yoon Hyun-sang's 이별 참 못할 짓이더라 (self-composed) in a mini-album! I'm so excited - I think I may purchase it to support them. :lol:

Oh, also:

daum20120320.png

Ha-yi's song is #1 on the Daum charts right now - crazy! Whoo-hoo!

They just released Ha-yi's rendition of Lim Jae-bum's 너를위해 as a single, along with Yoon Hyun-sang's 이별 참 못할 짓이더라 (self-composed) in a mini-album! I'm so excited - I think I may purchase it to support them. :lol:

Oh, also:

*quoted image*

Ha-yi's song is #1 on the Daum charts right now - crazy! Whoo-hoo!

yay go Hayi!

I found the recording on YouTube. Lee Ha Yi (이하이) - 너를 위해 (임재범) [KPOP Star]

I prefer the live version, but I'm so happy for the kid to be no. 1 on Daum. No small task!

Guest BoACK18

At the end of today's show you could see how sad LSH was and he didnt lift his head up when he found out that BJW got cut and not him. I think he was like a 100% sure that he was out today.

But at the end of the day this is a KPOP Star show which aims to find an idol. And LSH got saved by the audience and viewers alike. He has that you know idol material. Regardless of judges scores, if the audience keeps on supporting him like now he will still be on the show. He was number 4 on the online vote, and number 1 amongst the guys.  

Oh and did and YHS face when IU chose him to do a duet with was the cutest thing ever!!!! HAHAHA lol he was soooo shy.

And also loved PJH rendition of This Love. It was sooooooo gooooood!

LSH looked sad even after his performance, compared to the top 10 week when he was smiling throughout the whole thing. I really like him, but I would prefer it if he stopped singing, or at least only sang choruses. He should just rap and dance for most of it. I'm still sad to see BJW go.

Archived