Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Fan meetings always start late, just like rock concerts. I'm not surprised it started an hour late actually. As for him shopping. Goodness please. Actually my friend and I suspect the poor man was already in the small backstage area from the time the presscon was over cos it's not possible to Houdini onto the stage just before appearance. We were saying how tough it must be for him - no time to sleep at all. 

• Like 5

Despite all that photoshop touch ups, can still see Joo Won is tired. Poor guy... I actually feel bad for them. They earn a pretty pay package, yes, but the life there is really so harsh... I'm not sure they payoffs make working in the entertainment industry worth it.

Yeah agree with u, I’m actually a silent reader on this forum but just can’t feel ignoring what u said.. I’ve been thinking that our poor JooWon has overworked, he seems don’t have any long rest days, fiuh.. I know that the Korean entertainment is indeed so rough, I’ve heard also about slave contract from SM Entertainment, I hope SIM is not doing so.. They’ve already get so much, please stop and give long rest day for our JooWon.. Chaeball.. Can we submit a complaint to SIM? Hehe :phew:

• Like 4

Oh I just read a very critical IG account of Joo Won in Singapore. 

For one thing, I think Onetvasia did a poor job of explaining to fans that Joo Won would only appear after MC rounded up the participants. 

I was looking at my watch all the time so I remember fairly well. Half an hour before the event, I was wondering why there was no MC on stage to work up the crowd. I mean if Joo Won were to appear at 7.15pm, the MC cannot be walking in the same time as him, right? Anyway, MC only appeared at 7.15 sharp. 

My heels were killing me. I wore it for a purpose. I stand at 1.68cm but I needed more height to see above all the heads. Boy, was I right. But I paid the price. Because of my prior engagement, I couldn't wear platforms, so I wore 3 inch heels instead. 2 hours later, my feet hurt like crazy. So, I chat with @coolreborn on kakao. That's when I found out that Indonesia fanmeet started 1 hour later! Any indon fans, please correct me if I am wrong. 1 hour was for MC to prep the crowd and play games and choose participants. So if Singapore were to follow the same format, we would start at 8.15pm! I was berating coolreborn for not telling me earlier. The girls standing around me got more and more restless. Everyone expected him to turn up at 7.15. 

At about 8pm, Joo Won appeared. I think that's where I floated on my heels and forgot all the pain. 

Back to the critical fan account. I checked her IG. It's full of Ji Chang Wook's pictures. From the lack of Joo Won's pics and only pics of the event, she's either very new fan or not a fan(beats me). Coz I found only one comment on JW in her IG post - "So chubby" referring to his face in PC. Assuming she's narrating from first hand account and not making up some story, She followed him from PC to shopping at a dept store and to the FM. She blamed Joo Won for shopping and pin point that as the reason why he's late for the event. Then she said he's not friendly, did not smile, rejected requests for autographs and did not want to look at fans while he went into the lift and faced inside of lift instead of facing out. 

I don't think he was late because he went shopping. 

I think he should be allowed to shop. 

I also see how she could have perceived his behavior.

When he's not smiling, he can look serious, intense, cold, aloof, and even arrogant. Actually in the opening of Healing Camp as he walked in, someone in the audience said he looked fierce/angry. I cannot remember the exact words. Joo Won said that he has been mistaken as arrogant because of his eyes. When he's serious, he does not look approachable. But he thanked his parents for giving him his eyes because it's a great asset to his acting. 

Joo Won is not a "Fan Service" actor. My friend who loves JCW and used to fangirl JW told me JCW gives lots of fan service whereas JW does not. By that, I mean letting fans take photos at will, signing autographs, shaking hands etc. From what I hear, JW does everything by the book. No photos, not autographs, no handshakes unless permitted by the manager. Occasionally, he will override the manager. 

The question is how do we know what's the real deal? The actor who smiles for everyone and is ever obliging? Or the one who does not smile all the time? I have no answer, do you? 

All I know is from what I've experienced. Joo Won's almost always early, be it practice or actual shows. He's almost never late to any of his engagements. That's why we had to arrive 3-4 hours before the start of Ghost musical back then so we'd be able to see him as he enters the building. I don't know what time One TV told Joo Won to be present but I'm pretty sure it was all part of the plan to have a pre-fanmeet program, as in most fanmeets. 

About the no pictures, no handshakes, it really depends on the situation and the managers surrounding Cutie. I actually thought he won't oblige back then during the rehearsal event but he actually came back to sign our stuff, I think after briefly and telepathically consulting with his manager.  But the staff also specifically said no pictures and so we just obeyed that. When Cutie's not smiling or when he's focused on something, you might think that he's not that approachable or looks too serious, but when he smiles, boy, can he light up the whole world and then melt it thereafter when he looks at you straight in the eyes. 

But I guess all these won't matter to that 'fan' as she's probably made up her mind about Cutie, maybe even before she 'met' him. 

---

All these posts about TC made me want to watch it again! I actually really liked it for the most part, except for the jarring last parts (because it was filmed earlier). But I loved the BTS more! So cute these two! 

---

I remember Cutie had people he worked with or those who adore him come and support him in Catch Me - Uhm Tae Woong, Uhm Jung Hwa, Moon Chae Won, Choi Kang Hee, etc. I wonder who will come to support him in the opening of That Guy? Wouldn't it be nice for all his leading ladies from previous productions to come? That would be fun! Hahahaha! 

Edited by moonandhearts
  • Like 14

I know this has been asked before but what does that Green Star beside Cutie's Name on this thread means??? At first I thought it was because he has a recent drama, then because it was his birth month, but it's now October and Yongpal's over and so I don't know why it's still there. Not that I wanted it to be gone, but I'm just curious. Anybody got any clue???

---

Why the influx of TC bts? Has the dvd been released? Is that why? Anyway, lemme enjoy Cutie these pictures of Cutie:

*nosebleeds*

Don't you just love THAT GUY? Aish! Hot hot hot!

Credits to the uploader/regrammer/poster

Edited by moonandhearts
  • Like 10

I'm sorry because I feel like I saw this information, but now I can't seem to find it in the thread: where can I order the Japanese TC DVDs? (I really did love this drama.)

You can get them on Amazon Japan.

DVD Box 1: http://www.amazon.co.jp/のだめカンタービレ~ネイル-カンタービレDVD-BOX1〈初回限定版〉(5枚組/本編DISC4枚+特典DISC1枚)-チュウォン/dp/B00UVIIOW2/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HF5W5ZAT75TH4CB47GH

DVD Box 2: http://www.amazon.co.jp/のだめカンタービレ~ネイル-カンタービレDVD-BOX2〈初回限定版〉(5枚組/本編DISC4枚+特典DISC1枚)-チュウォン/dp/B00UVIIUEE/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=047H9S1B4ME1HX1285ZF

Special Making Vol 1: http://www.amazon.co.jp/のだめカンタービレ~ネイル-カンタービレ<スペシャル・メイキング>Vol-1-DVD-チュウォン/dp/B00YI0WK6U/ref=pd_sim_74_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZYECEV53VEAYPJZ5SCY

Special Making Vol 2: http://www.amazon.co.jp/のだめカンタービレ~ネイル-カンタービレ<スペシャル・メイキング>Vol-2-DVD-チュウォン/dp/B00YI0WKVA/ref=pd_bxgy_74_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=047H9S1B4ME1HX1285ZF

Here's a guide we did on how to order on Amazon Japan. It's for Life Log but it works the same way.
https://joowoncutie.wordpress.com/2015/03/07/lifelog-purchase-guide/

I do really hope that our local film distributor will release a more affordable version of Naeil's Cantabile DVD set now that JW is gaining popularity in Singapore.

I love Naeil's Cantabile despite all the negative criticisms it received during its telecast last year. I am a fan of the original manga and the Japanese drama Nodame Cantabile, but after watching Naeil's Cantabile, I would still choose it over the original version. Not just bcoz it is JW's drama, but I find the interpretation of the relationships between all the characters to be closer to real life and hence I can relate better to the Korean's NC than the original one. I find the Japanese version is more focused on the lead characters' music career path and Nodame's pursuit of her Chiaki senpai but shared very little of Chiaki's point of view on his relationship with Nodame. Whatever I found lacking in the Japanese version, was fulfilled by the Koreans' interpretation of the story and JW's portrayal of Cha Yoo-jin. Rather than seeing both versions as competitive with each other, I feel that one is a good complement to the other if a viewer wishes to understand the story better.

Edited by ctfrsgp
  • Like 9

THANK YOU!! I'm so happy to see people posting about TC! :wub: all the lovely photos :lol:

I absolutely love the SCARF scene in TC (if anybody remembers), Naeil tiptopped to drape a scarf around his neck and their eyes met. That was one heartbeating scene and I thought they were going for a kiss (looking at each other's lips) :w00t: oh myyyy my eyes were fixated at the close up of Joo won's eyes :wub: 

*if I'm Naeil, I would have grabbed his face and gave him a thousand kisses :w00t::vicx: heh~ orabang muackxmuackx

• Like 6

TC bts - Joo Won smoothing SEK's hair.

JW%20smooth%20SEK%20hair_zpsdmcfhbps.gifd

dimples! 

fdb63ZE_zps9vytnvvk.gif

the both of them look so compatible and cute :wub: i actually think they look good together 

there are so many adorable scenes in TC but joo won says he prefers to act in melodrama than rom com :lol:

i really wish to see him in another rom com again ^_^

• Like 5

Oh I just read a very critical IG account of Joo Won in Singapore. 

For one thing, I think Onetvasia did a poor job of explaining to fans that Joo Won would only appear after MC rounded up the participants. 

I was looking at my watch all the time so I remember fairly well. Half an hour before the event, I was wondering why there was no MC on stage to work up the crowd. I mean if Joo Won were to appear at 7.15pm, the MC cannot be walking in the same time as him, right? Anyway, MC only appeared at 7.15 sharp. 

My heels were killing me. I wore it for a purpose. I stand at 1.68cm but I needed more height to see above all the heads. Boy, was I right. But I paid the price. Because of my prior engagement, I couldn't wear platforms, so I wore 3 inch heels instead. 2 hours later, my feet hurt like crazy. So, I chat with @coolreborn on kakao. That's when I found out that Indonesia fanmeet started 1 hour later! Any indon fans, please correct me if I am wrong. 1 hour was for MC to prep the crowd and play games and choose participants. So if Singapore were to follow the same format, we would start at 8.15pm! I was berating coolreborn for not telling me earlier. The girls standing around me got more and more restless. Everyone expected him to turn up at 7.15. 

At about 8pm, Joo Won appeared. I think that's where I floated on my heels and forgot all the pain. 

Back to the critical fan account. I checked her IG. It's full of Ji Chang Wook's pictures. From the lack of Joo Won's pics and only pics of the event, she's either very new fan or not a fan(beats me). Coz I found only one comment on JW in her IG post - "So chubby" referring to his face in PC. Assuming she's narrating from first hand account and not making up some story, She followed him from PC to shopping at a dept store and to the FM. She blamed Joo Won for shopping and pin point that as the reason why he's late for the event. Then she said he's not friendly, did not smile, rejected requests for autographs and did not want to look at fans while he went into the lift and faced inside of lift instead of facing out. 

I don't think he was late because he went shopping. 

I think he should be allowed to shop. 

I also see how she could have perceived his behavior.

When he's not smiling, he can look serious, intense, cold, aloof, and even arrogant. Actually in the opening of Healing Camp as he walked in, someone in the audience said he looked fierce/angry. I cannot remember the exact words. Joo Won said that he has been mistaken as arrogant because of his eyes. When he's serious, he does not look approachable. But he thanked his parents for giving him his eyes because it's a great asset to his acting. 

Joo Won is not a "Fan Service" actor. My friend who loves JCW and used to fangirl JW told me JCW gives lots of fan service whereas JW does not. By that, I mean letting fans take photos at will, signing autographs, shaking hands etc. From what I hear, JW does everything by the book. No photos, not autographs, no handshakes unless permitted by the manager. Occasionally, he will override the manager. 

The question is how do we know what's the real deal? The actor who smiles for everyone and is ever obliging? Or the one who does not smile all the time? I have no answer, do you? 

An Indonesian fan informed us of the schedule, so it is right that the fan meet supposed to start an hour later. She mentioned that the MC will come and promote the channel, then play games to choose fans for the event. Not sure how it is with Indonesian fans, but the fan-choosing was pretty fast in Singapore. I guess because of lesser fans in the fan-standing area? I checked the time and Park Hyesu went on stage at 8.03pm which means that Joowon came into the venue earlier than the scheduled 1 hour.

Joowon's entrance to the venue must have been planned. In Indonesia, he arrived to venue through escalators, walking past fans. And in Singapore, he walked to the stage located slightly apart from the entrance. The stage could have been set so that Joowon walked right into the waiting room without even being seen, but it was set apart so we can see him do the walk-of-fame~ :D

I think you're right that Joowon is definitely not a fan-service actor, based on my observations during close encounters with him. Before he does things, he will look at manager and wait for the green/red light. If no red light, he goes for green. Sometimes Joowon didnt even get to say anything before the manager replies with red light. He's improving in this aspect, but he's still somewhat 'timid'. Possibly because he's just shy? Even when I chat with fans who has never met him before, they note his shy behavior and that he doesnt speak much unless he was spoken to. He's different with co-stars because being the lead in projects, he has to create a good atmosphere with them.

Joowon and every other celebrities are human too. They have desires like every other person. Joowon can shop if he wants, he can be upset when he wants, provided he did it at the right time. I dont think he was even late to the fan-meet, so I definitely dont think going shopping is even a problem. Haha!

• Like 9

@ecs707a Hm, I think there's another still I'm thinking of. I don't know, maybe I'm just remembering wrong. The last one you posted is adorable too though. Lol disgustingly cute.

Do you know why he's hugging her here?

tZpE4k3.jpg

--

About that fanaccount. I find it difficult to judge celebrities in general but I feel like Joowon is sincere. Plus, that is a bad fanaccount among tons of positive fanaccounts + good words from other celebrities/bts staff. Like others already said, maybe he was tired, having a bad day, or just in a bad mood. Some fans expect actors/idols to be 'perfect' 24/7 but they're not robots geez. To be honest, I don't know how he can be so smiley even when he's tired. I'd be all grumpy lol, so kudos to him. 

• Like 9

@farbarri I was standing at the back of stage waiting for Joo Won to come in. The presence of security personnel made me suspect this was the case. There was barricade leading from the lift lobby to the stage. But they couldn't close it off because shoppers would still use the life. It was funny to see some people walked out of the lift and they had this 'Am I on candid camera?" look because so many people were there and all those standing behind the barricade looking expectantly. 

I even walked to the lift a couple of times to check out if I could wait for Joo Won there. However, I couldn't stand there forever without looking suspicious. I had thought of waiting for him at the carpark level lobby but Suntec has 2 carpark levels so it's too risky. 

Anyway, so there I was standing behind the barricade but not in the front row. Thanks to my heels, I got a clear head advantage over the rest. Problem was the view were blocked by phone cameras on selfie sticks. 

True enough, Joo Won walked in from the lift lobby. You can hear everyone gasped in unison and then the screaming. 

Joo Won looked at all fans standing behind the barricade and smiled. He waved and even as he passed us, he did a back wave in acknowledgement. 

So for me, I got to see him up close before and after the actual event, LOL. 

We have done a few fan projects as JWCIFC and you have been blessed to see him in person in Korea. I won't say we know this man inside out but we have seen him in various moods and levels of energy. You know how I feel about him, the good and not so good. I have found my own place to admire him for his awesome talents and see many positive attributes in him. He's human, of flesh and blood, not god. As Joo Won said, he will 'repay' his fans by bringing them better works. I don't need his autographs, I only anticipate more great works from this man.  

• Like 13

Someone asked me why Joo Won never mentioned him being part of a group called Frees before he debut. Long time fans of Joo Won would know that he was once part of a group which appeared on children's television progam. I think Joo Won himself has hardly or never spoken of that time. 

You can read more of it here http://www.soompi.com/2013/04/08/actor-joo-won-used-to-be-an-idol/

I heard from unofficial sources that Joo Won left the group because of ill treatment. He was pretty young then, about 18 to 19. Rumor had it that the manager of that group would beat the members with objects while they were trainees. Joo Won's parents stepped in and sought legal help to get him out of the contract. 

Perhaps because it was terrible experience, Joo Won never spoke of it. 

Back to Joo Won the person. I think @gilaswan was pretty spot on in her reading of his personality. Prior to the press con, I told her I didn't want to tell her my perception of Joo Won so that she can go with as little pre-conceived notion as possible. If it is not for his looks and aura, Joo Won is the type you won't notice at a party. First, he isn't the party sort. I can imagine him having cup after cup of coffee at the local cafe. Secondly, if he's at a party, he would probably disappear into the background. 

He's an introvert, that's why his parents encouraged him to take up speech and drama as a form out expression and outlet for a pubescent boy. Once you watch Healing Camp, you will understand why Joo Won is so expressive with his emotions on screen and the opposite in real life. 

I always felt that he just wants to focus on acting.But he knows he has to do all the peripheral activities that comes along with being an actor/idol.

When it comes to fans, I think Joo Won has experienced the positives and negatives in fandom. During his days in musical theater, Joo Won was close to his fans. To this day, he still recognizes and acknowledge those people. 

I can't remember which media he used, but Joo Won used to speak out his thoughts and read fan chats. But that all came to an abrupt halt when a war erupted among his fans in Korea. It's known that he was so sad that he cried at the birthday celebration that fans held for him. From then on, he became 'silent' on social media. He seldom tweets and it was only not too long ago that he started his IG and became more active. 

Edited by mrdimples
  • Like 10