Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Thank you @Sweet Juliet!  Is there a link anywhere to any bit of that interview?  So she said that all the way back in 2013, but I think it applies to HB now hehehe.  Actually SYJ comes across as quite an affectionate and tactile person to me so I was a little surprised to hear she's more quiet at home.  Are Daegu people known as more reserved? 

The latest post from SYJ was so heartwarming.  She has a way with words that feels so heartfelt and sweet and thoughtful.  She's just one cool girl. :D 

• Like 1

10 Years

January 14 2011 - Son Ye Jin filmed her Secret Garden cameo

jinniesega2.jpg4

her update to include all her gifts from her fans earlier today - Also January 14 :)

I'm glad she found room to include everyone's gifts for her at her house!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKBNTSsHLWX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 3

@Seriya this is the interview when she said that. I'm sure you can find it in youtube

syj1.jpg?w=397

This is what translated in english

Interview with Son Ye Jin: Her Ideal Boyfriend

Actress Son Ye Jin revealed that she is usually very affectionate towards her boyfriend.

October 14, actress Son Ye Jin was featured on radio program on the SBS Power FM.

The MC asked, "Recently, you worked with actor Kim Gap Soo as a father and daughter for the new movie coming out. What kind of a daughter are you?"

Son Ye Jin answered, "I am very stern. I don't express my emotions very well. It's the same with my mom as well. My father doesn't really know how to be affectionate and I don't know how to do that either. I think it's because we're from Daegu. All of our family members don't express our emotions very much. We also don't really speak about work and outside matters when we're at home."

However, when she was asked if she is the same way with a man she loves, Son Ye Jin replied, "With all the affection that has been building up, I show everything to him."

Also, when a listener asked about her ideal boyfriend, she answered, "I like someone who I can have a conversation with. I think men usually listen to women simply in the first dimension. I want to actually communicate while having a conversation filled with wit."

One of the DJ asked, "So you want a man who is detailed and manly, right? It's difficult." Regarding looks, Son Ye Jin stated, "I don't look at looks but I would like him to be over 175cm but if a guy is someone who captures my attention, it's fine if he is shorter."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ethan Hawke officially confirmed for Marvel movie which films in March. He is suppose to join his daughter on a project too. It may have been more in talks when it was announced in November. 

Anyways, if Cross is definitely going to film in September, I just really want to know who the other actors are.

I really don't want Son Ye Jin to keep waiting around. Even though I am sure she is happy to spend more time with HB now while there is covid/pandemic still happening. I wonder what other scripts she may have gotten offered that could have interested her but she turned them down. 

ElectricHearts, last fall I had the feeling that the project would stall and not go forward. The recent western actors attached to the project all had two or three other projects that they had committed to for 2021. The only new "news" was the claimed $30 million US budget. The pandemic has also pushed back investors from committing to projects. In reality, SYJ wants to do the project to block off 6 months for location shooting but has not totally committed to it after their second meeting and the delay. I think she wants to do an English speaking role if the "right opportunity" presents itself. Despite her huge popularity in Asia, I don't think it gave the producers much traction in casting or financing.

I think after CLOY ended, even though she had a dozen or more CF shoots, she felt strange not working on a series or film for 10 months. She has been a workaholic. I think she needs to be on stage performing and interacting with set crews to produce art. The fact that Korea's social distancing and harsher virus restrictions has curbed her meeting her girlfriends does not help the situation as many of them continued to work during the pandemic.

I think if she takes another project in the spring, the Cross project will not happen for her.

@welh11I knew as well especially in November when both Sam and Ethan were taking on more projects.  Although Sam's imdb page does look less crazy now but he still taking on projects. Although I didnt have a good feeling in October, when LSK had dropped out - when the prod crew was finally in Korea. Plus SYJ kept saying the project is in talks even in Elle Korea. She knows she cant say she is officially confirmed because it has happened before when a project gets delayed so much - script changes happen - it doesn' t happen in the end. Although ex. The Last Princess from 2012 to when it filmed in Nov 2015 that was worth the wait. It is just Hollywood project means more of a budget - plus if they are going to involve more Hollywood actors - these actors need to be free and not continue to take on more projects. Other Korean actors have said Hollywood projects are on a different schedule scale than Korean projects. Ex. Kang Dong Won never finished filming his upcoming Hollywood movie, Tsunami LA. Even though he was in LA for a year in 2018 to learn surfing and English, he didnt film until earlier last year but barely filmed because covid happened.

Even yes she was busy filming CFs, she got use to not being so much of a workaholic. That is fine. More time for dating and spending time with loved ones ;) It is just knowing she didn't actually do a project in almost a year. I do remember reading in one of her earlier interviews that she is ok with eventually taking on smaller roles or doing less. She wanted to work a lot till eventually she works less to focus on her happy married life.. Of course it doesnt mean she will stop working later. It just always seemed like her mindset when she found the right person is to focus more on the relationship.

I do believe if she takes on another project now, Cross is definitely not happening. The only positive thing about the Cross is that it is a Hollywood project filming in Korea than overseas. It is also hard to film due to covid/pandemic. Anything can happen later. Since lots of other actors (last year) had already confirmed projects but some didn't actually film last year - got postponed. Some will be filming those projects later this year or maybe some of the actors who were confirmed on those projects before may not be the same actors in them.

• Like 1

Thank you @Sweet Juliet, yes that is the interview I was thinking of.  I noticed it even got featured briefly with a shot of SYJ in that purple sweater in that KBS entertainment segment about HB/SYJ this week.  I still can't find it on youtube, maybe not using the right key words.

If Cross is mean to be, maybe it'll happen sometime in the future.  But I hope SYJ doesn't put everything else on hold for it if it doesn't look like it will happen this year.  Even if it films in Sept, she could still have time to do a film project in the spring.  She's done 2 projects in a year before.  I hope we don't got another year without SYJ filming a new work, and I don't think we will, because I think SYJ herself will be raring to work after this long hiatus.  If HB is doing a new film in the spring as well, then it seems not all their focus will be on their personal lives.

CLOY did so well, I just hope SYJ can capitalise on that momentum.  No idea if she's being offered even more roles, though the main point is I hope she's offered high quality ones.   And she's in her prime as an actress, so I selfishly hope she doesn't wait too long before blessing us with her onscreen presence.  

17 hours ago, Seriya said:

If Cross is mean to be, maybe it'll happen sometime in the future

I hope so,

She had done 30 projects a year (spoken during the Master in the house program) in the past.

Maybe now she will not take more than 1 movie or drama projects this year, not because of a personal relationship but because this pandemic makes her have to keep the body from fatigue.

She ever takes to the hospital when cloy shooting, right? 

@Seriya the only reason why I am not sure if she is working on something before potentially working on the Cross is depending when she officially knew it was going to be postpone till September. If she really only found out recently, most announcements now are for projects being filmed later in the year. Yes there are some projects finalizing or announcing cast during the months they are being filmed in the news. It just seems like most now are for later in the year filming. That's why there is a higher chance it could be magazine or just more CFs. She doesn't do much magazine photoshoots anymore. Although she might shoot more new ones for Bride and You for spring/summer shoot later. It's just if she commits to a project to film in spring ahead of time and later it doesnt work for Cross or conflicts with the film schedule later. It's just covid and pandemic makes it hard to plan a lot of things in advance. It just depends what her goals are now - like we know she doesnt turn down a project unless major script changes happen or production changes that don't work out for her in the end.   That is why I see higher chance if it is a short drama production shoot or if she can find something that films at least only 4 months. 6 months shoot for March-April film start date could conflict with Cross shoot later - if that is her main focus.

There's a lot of rumors in kmedia what they believe is her long term plans for this year. Only SYJ really knows though.

• Like 1

Good point about depending on when she knew about the Cross delay to the second half the year, if that.  It may be too late for her to sign on with projects filming in the first half of the year, I don't know.  And as you said not sure how much stuff is even scheduled to be filmed this year in Korea, due to covid.  If the rumours are true that HB will do CA2 in Feb and it hasn't even been officially announced that he's signed on, then it seems to be leaving it till quite late.  Not sure what the usual practice is for casting announcements in SK.  Stars at their level probably have their schedules known for the next few months in advance and SYJ seems the type to want to do a lot of prep work in advance of a role. 

I miss her magazine shoots/longform interviews, but I guess if she doesn't have any specific project to promote she doesn't need to do them. And I don't think she will do any just due to her private life announcement.  Too bad we probably won't see her and HB in a hot magazine photoshoot together again!

I do think that she has a wedding penciled in for before she turns 40 or at 40 (whether you follow the Korean age system or the regular one) and it will happen regardless of what other projects she takes on or not. 

Who knows maybe her current big project is not film related at all but figuring out the interior design for a new married home?  Seems like something she would be into and that's a big undertaking as well. 

Anyone can share more about her fatigue episode during CLOY?  As I didn't watch CLOY in real time, didn't know about it till later.  What were they filming when it happened?  Thankfully she's recovered. But I can imagine these drama schedules are very grueling.  You can pretty much see the actors looking more tired as the drama goes on. 

• Like 1

@Seriya As I recall, the SYJ hospital trip was during location shooting in winter (January). It could have been fatigue, flu or dehydration as she was treated and returned to the set. You can tell all of the cast looked ill (redness around their eyes) from long outdoor scenes. She often reports that after her projects that they were physically hard and draining on her. Again, when you don't eat well, diet for the role, etc. there is a large energy drain filming long hours each day. That is why she said half her life is devoted to travel as her way to re-energize herself for her next performance.

I think she has received many offers since CLOY but seemed content to do CFs and her fan meeting than committing to a non-challenging role. I do think she did set aside the first half of 2021 for The Cross and was only recently told of the delay. I think she has been studying English to do a foreign language film. I think many Korean actors now see American productions as a huge career move because they pay better and expose them to new markets. For example, a Netflix original production could double an actor's Korean pay rate.

One potential concern is that SYJ is still attached to melodramas and romantic comedy genres. Would she take such a role in 2021 (and how would shippers react with her love scenes with a different leading man?)

• Like 2

@welh11 some actors I think earlier on had struggles doing a Hollywood movie but I think since the change with Korean films and especially with Bong Joon Ho and Parasite - more Korean actors are interested again in Hollywood movies. I think besides liking Cross script / it sounded like it became more female driven than what it was before - the fact it was filming in Korea and not overseas is a double plus for her. Since most actors who film a Hollywood movie end up having to film abroad. She had learned English before but since she didn't speak often - you eventually forget. So I don't think it was that difficult to relearn English for her. It is probably more in the end to perfect her accent more. Plus she has travelled abroad - to USA before too. I don't think she will take on another romantic comedy - melodrama soon. She never does the same role twice. Maybe she will do more mother/wife - or a more female driven cast movie/drama like she has done before. I do belive as well it is easier if she books a Netflix project for upcoming potential project as it will be released faster - plus CLOY has been on Netflix too.  If ex. she ever gets a chance to work with Lee Byung Hun - he has worked with Gong Hyo Jin before in A Single Rider. They played a married couple - although they barely had scenes together. It was on their marriage struggles and GHJ and son being in Australia. 

I think she could do more films like this. I don't think there will be an issue of kissing etc - since that is also on acting. Lee Min Jung's drama Once Again - she is also kissing her co star. LBH and son had no issues with it. Although their son is funny, he was saying how she is in trouble with dad LOL/he kept watching LBH's reaction - although LBH was fine hahaa. I believe you can also request less kissing or no kissing. I know this has happened before on past projects with other actors. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, welh11 said:

@Seriya As I recall, the SYJ hospital trip was during location shooting in winter (January). It could have been fatigue, flu or dehydration as she was treated and returned to the set. You can tell all of the cast looked ill (redness around their eyes) from long outdoor scenes.

Yes. She especially looked red during the first border scene.  And a lot of her outdoor scenes in the freezing cold involved so much emotional energy and crying, over multiple takes, it must have been easy to become tired and exhausted.  Even the indoor sets must have been quite cold given everyone's almost always wearing big down jackets or have blankets wrapped around them. 

I think she has received many offers since CLOY but seemed content to do CFs and her fan meeting than committing to a non-challenging role. I do think she did set aside the first half of 2021 for The Cross and was only recently told of the delay. I think she has been studying English to do a foreign language film. I think many Korean actors now see American productions as a huge career move because they pay better and expose them to new markets. For example, a Netflix original production could double an actor's Korean pay rate.

I believe SYJ when she said Hollywood wasn't something that was a must do on her list but when a good opportunity with a good script/character/director arose, she was receptive to it and relished the challenge of a foreign language role.

I have mixed feelings about Asian actors doing HW projects.  While it's great Asians get more representation, they really have to be good roles in good films and not stereotypical or token kind of roles.  I've seen quite a few good Asian actors end up in bad HW films.  And nowadays, with global streaming content that opens people to content from so many countries easily, you don't necessarily have to act in English to have a global impact. See: CLOY.  I would rather see SYJ in a high quality Asian language production like Parasite or Crouching Tiger, which are so good that they even get recognised by HW, than be in a mediocre HW production.  I would definitely love to see SYJ in another Netflix production in the future (I think now she definitely sees the reach of that platform) or in a film that goes on the film festival circuit. 

Scifi/dystopian is a genre she hasn't done before so I do think Cross is a project with potential, if it happens.  Or a female driven project in whatever genre., I'm on board. 

One potential concern is that SYJ is still attached to melodramas and romantic comedy genres. Would she take such a role in 2021 (and how would shippers react with her love scenes with a different leading man?)

I think there's a real strength to SYJ's emotional acting, whatever the genre, and audiences respond to that.  That tends to be in melo and romcom roles so I think they will continue to be a part of her future works.  But she's also shown her versatility and interest in different kinds of roles, so I don't think she will do another melo/romcom soon unless it's a really compelling and fresh character she hasn't done before. 

SYJ's been acting for 20 years and she's a serious actress.  I don't think things like shipper reaction to love scenes would be something that would impede or even be a factor in her considering whether to take on a role.  She wants to do films that illuminate the human condition, and if love scenes or looking old and ugly or whatever are necessary to show that in a film, then I don't think she would have any qualms with that.  She's done roles in films like April Snow and MWGM which may have not been typical for a young actress, and she never let any concerns about image stop her then.  SYJ's talked of films like The Handmaiden before so she strikes me as progressive and open minded in her attitude to life and film.  Which is cool.  I don't think marriage will really or should change her choice of roles.  Acting is not real life.  And hope fans are mature enough to understand that.  If not, well, you can't live your life around fan's sensitivities. 

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Song Seung Heon's instagram post. He is with their director from Summer Scent. They visited a cafe.

this is of Summer Scent

summer.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKOizU-ARQe/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Son Ye Jin is attending 2020 Apan Star Awards. - it is now on January 23.

Same university as where she filmed parts of Classic. The famous rain scene ends in front of that university's library

Son Ye Jin may not actually be attending APAN Star Awards - we shall see closer. Apparently someone checked with her team and they said it was a video recording. We shall see. 

Too much rumors and speculations of them right now.

Can't believe it's almost  18 years when Classic was releaed. It came out on January 30 2003

• Like 2

http://english.pickcon.co.kr/site/data/html_dir/2021/01/21/2021012180161.html

Look at How 'Crash Landing on You' Stars Match Their Styles

January 05, 2021

spacer.png

Hyun Bin and Son Ye-jin, the stars of the hit series "Crash Landing on You,", began the new year by admitting they are in a relationship.

Hyun Bin's management agency said on Jan. 1, "The two developed feelings for each other while working together on the series and started dating after it ended."

When they attended a press event for the series in Seoul in December 2019, they showed a perfect mix-and-match style in a sophisticated way by opting for warm-colored outfits. Hyun Bin wore a black turtleneck sweater and white pants matched with a camel-colored velvet jacket. Son wore an oversized pink angora cardigan over a lemon-colored dress with thin straps.

spacer.png

About three months later, when they appeared for a wrap party for the series in Seoul, the couple created a buzz again as they both wore long camel coats, creating a similarly chic vibe. Their similar outfits made fans suspect that they'd fallen in love, like the characters in the series in which they co-starred.

A couple of years earlier, in August 2018, when they attended a press event for their film "The Negotiation" -- their first project together -- they appeared in black, matching their outfits. At another press event for the film a month later, they looked chic with Hyun Bin going for a dandy look in a suit with striped-pattern details and with Son looking elegant in a camel jumpsuit with a black belt.

spacer.png

Spoiler

50156DAC-B38A-48C4-8C22-F9C47F9C9B66.jpg

BFF6C12D-542E-4067-93E1-744BDCE4429D.jpg

61536C88-8BC2-435B-84B6-F0B641A314D2.jpg

1AA704C4-EDAB-48F9-82E7-1D1A65C9130E.jpg

78875B15-916C-4610-8AD1-45ABD46523AE.jpg

• Like 2

On 22/05/2008 at 6:42 PM, shane_kim0016 said:

hi guys i am here again..

monthly_2015_05/w00t.gif.89bfc5f07f7dab28102e6b9c1ad200c1.gif wow.. so many SYJ goodies.. thank you default_biggrin.png.fb0704fc58b7f5e90000a2e051687fc1.png

btw.. do you all know guys whatz i'm into nowadays?

Hidden Content

do you think it's possible ? monthly_2015_05/w00t.gif.89bfc5f07f7dab28102e6b9c1ad200c1.gifdefault_cool.png.2a7be334380861a2fe7c7d23fff98b3c.png +______+ owts , it's okay i am happy enough to think of them.. default_laugh.png.f88063f9c05a1a359311d986e29a8d49.pngdefault_cool.png.2a7be334380861a2fe7c7d23fff98b3c.png

Can't help quoting this

• Like 1