korean stars who speak english

Guest rockstaridol

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rockstaridol

hmm what episode in my girl did LDH talk in english? Am excited to hear her hehe.

Sometimes I base it on Showbiz Extra on Arirang. If they talk in Korean then i assume they cant speak it since they're aware that Showbiz Extra is an international show.

I heard one of the stars in Fireworks say his name in English. It sounded ok but thats all he could say

I think Lee Young Ae could also speak english but when she was interviewed for a Filipino show she spoke in Korean. Too bad cause they dubbed her answers in tagalog so i wasnt able to hear her voice.

Song Hye Kyo and Rain were also interviewed for a Filipino show but they spoke in Korean :( <-not that its bad but i wanted to hear their voice instead of their dubbed counterparts hehe

Guest LovesKimDongwan

i've heard kim jae won speak in english... he was okay. Brian, Tablo, Tim, TaeBin i know for sure. Kim Ki Bum is so-so he still has an accent. Mickey from dbsk. Eric and Andy from shinhwa so-so, the rest of shinhwa are okay with their english but im pretty sure they just memorized their lines whenever they have to speak it. Kim Tae Hee. Dont know about LeeWan.

i cant think of any right now lol

~Tran~

Guest ponkie

Micky has fobby English. It's understandable only if he speaks only a few lines.

Like others mentioned Brian, Tim, Tablo.

Gong Yoo actually speaks English quite well, or at least better than I thought.

Guest minminfish

Kim Rae Won

--he explained in English when his professor asked him to.. in "LSIH"

although his english was so-so.

not like some others, it sounded mega natural when he spoke it, I liked it, altho the pron was not that accurate.. :P

Kim tae hee speaks quite good, Kim min and Jung ryeo won speaks good english~^^

Jung RyeoWon

Eugene

Kim Min

Yeon JungHoon

Cha InPyo --> NYU grad

Lee SeoJin --> his English in "Firebird" was kinda iffy, but you could tell he actually understood what he was saying and didn't just learn the lines phonetically. (another NYU grad)

Lee ByungHun --> not the best pronunciation either, but I've seen him conduct interviews in English (he understands the questions and answers in kind).

Park ShinYang --> ditto^

I know Kim SunAh studies (studied?) at Ball State University, but I haven't her speak in English yet (except for her deliberately faulty "sexy cookie" convo with Henry as SamSoon :lol: ).

Haven't heard Lee DaHae speak in English either, though I know she lived in Australia.

Dunno if she's fluent now, but it's obvious Lee YoungAe's English in "Sympathy for Lady Vengeance" (though still not flawless) improved leaps and bounds from "Joint Security Area" (where it just plain sucked). Choi MinShik spoke pretty good English in SfLV too; (twas so cool how his line delivery made an otherwise-heartbreaking scene incongruously funny at the same time) but I don't think he's fluent really, because I read that he (consummate actor that he is) hired a tutor to help him work on his not-very-many lines for MONTHS, just so he can convincingly play his role as (guess what?) an English teacher. :D

Just wanted to repost this, for those who equate speaking a few English lines in a drama = fluency:

being able to memorize sentences and pronouncing them isn't considered "being able to speak fluently in english" ^^; Just a thought.

After all, the threadstarter did say:

I am just making a consensus who among my fave korean stars speak english well.

Btw, do Daniel Henney/Dennis O'Neil even count? I mean, everyone knows that English is their first language anyway.

hmm...being able to memorize sentences and pronouncing them isn't considered "being able to speak fluently in english" ^^; Just a thought. Bi memorizes his lines. On his performance in NY, there's lines on the tv screen placed on the floor that he reads from.

I totally agree, I was gonna post something similar to ur answer. I haven't heard many anyone speak fluent english or knows how to speak english w/o any help or studyin within the korean stars. The only people that I would actually consider speaking english is Eugene, Daniel Henney, and Jun Ryeo Won. Others would not be considered as someone who speaks english such as Bi. I'm a big fan of Bi but my god, his english needs a whole lot of work. No offense to other Bi fans but it was too painful for me to listen to his reponses during his interview in NY.

Guest dragonjade

does anybody have his interview from ny or cnn? i would really like to hear him talk.

For this topic its pretty general. I mean do you mean fluently? I guess you do. Here's a list of people who can pronounce and say English fluently. (there's people who can speak english fluently but here pronunciation is still off.)

1. Tablo: of course. if you've watched the x-men episode where he rapped an eminem song that should kind of give you the hint.

2. Brian

3. some people from Star Golden Ball

4. Tim

I've heard some people say Micky, but just because he was born and raised there in the U.S. doesn't mean he can speak it fluently. He can pronounce pretty well, but I don't think he can speak fluently, maybe okay but not fluently.

5. and for you people who posted up Dennis o'neil and daniel henney....I have nothing to say. Its pretty obvious that they can speak WAAaaay better than the people I listed above. Its really obvious that English is their primary language since in the dramas they speak reaallly simple sentences of Korean that anybody could say with a little practice.

6. I think Kim Ki Bum from super junior can do okay English.

does anybody have his interview from ny or cnn? i would really like to hear him talk.

Bi speakin english during the Rainy Day concert in NY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gmBmehSjfjo&search=bi%20ny

Rain 2006 MTV overdrive Rainy Day in NY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3SUktY_J0Es&search=bi%20ny

Bi - WB11 Interview with Truly Julie

Bi/Rain in KMTV TRL (NEW YORK)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e82M_L22k0o&search=bi%20mtv

Rain's interview on MSG concert

Bi/Rain MTV Special

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MwLj4l_-DnY&search=bi%20mtv

Bi/Rain MTV Special part2

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jilUYefvwCA&search=bi%20mtv

Bi/Rain MTV Special part3

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lvsc70lLscA&search=bi%20mtv

Guest strawberrynkiwi

I heard Brian's english before from X-men. It was pretty good.

KRW was painful to watch in LSIH. KTH was above average.

Guest hoyah

SHK can speak English Jenan. You can hear her speaking English in All In. In fact she even studied in America just to learn English. :D

I don't think she can.

She stayed in America for a couple of months and it's too short to learn speaking English in my opinion.

Everybody can speak foreign language in Drama becuase we can memorize some lines for limited time.

You can hear Seo DoYoung speaking German in Spring Waltz first or second episode but it doesn't mean he's fluent in German at all.

I think Kim SunAh can speak not only English but also Japanese.

She went to high school in Japan and graduated university in America.

In 'my name is Kim SamSoon', she have to speak broken English because of her character.

Han YeSeul and Han GoEun both were raised in US.

Choi YeoJin, Jung RyeoWon and Lee DaHae are from Australia.

All of them speak fluent English.

Sometimes Han GoEun pronounce Korean with English accents :sweatingbullets:

She has some problem related to her Korean speaking.

Guest xingjing

Well, everybody's already mentioned Tablo and Tim and Brian.

If you say Daniel Henney or Dennis O'Neil... I mean, DOIH. They're from the US for God's sake. English was their language. And is still their language. It's not English problems they have, it's Korean problems.

Lee Dahae and Jung Ryeowon are good at English too. Since they studied in Australia.

Hm... I think Kibum can speak English above average. I mean, for one, I can actually understand it. I hated KRW's English in LSIH because it was soo heavily accented and stiff it pissed me off. There's an episode with Kibum speaking English in Rainbow Romance.

KTH's English is also tolerable. In LSIH, I could understand her.

I've never heard KSA speak English... hm. I should check that out. As for Rain, he speaks... kind of weird. But I think it's so-so. I mean, I saw the Truly Julie thingy and I was like... he speaks with kind of an American accent. But it's really choppy. I find his pronunciation okay.

Ah well. The one thing that pisses me off is when the white people can't even say English well. Like, I watch stuff and they're so bad at acting and their lines are so stiff it pisses me off so much. Gr.

Guest daLKoMAnXXdaLKi

Brian and Tim were raised in US so they have good English..

Tablo can speak English pretty well too..i remember on Nonstop 5 he spoke like 5 different languages.it was pretty amazing ^^

brian (FTTS)

micky (TVXQ)

jung ryu won

jinusean

as one

lexy (?)

tony ahn

andy (shinhwa)

eric (shinhwa)

tim

T (yoon mirae)

han yae seul

boa

shyne

sung si kyung

jun (from GOD)

yoo seung jun

J

taebin (1TYM)

etc =)

not all of them are fluent though

Guest misswa

Daniel Henney, Dennis O'neil & the "Lost" stars are a given. Jung Ryeo Won & Yeong Jung Hoon are the only actors I heard, so far, who speaks english really well with good pronunciation.

i've heard kim jae won speak in english... he was okay. Brian and Tim i know for sure. Kim Ki Bum is so-so he still has an accent. Mickey from dbsk. Eric and Andy from shinhwa so-so, the rest of shinhwa are okay with their english but im pretty sure they just memorized their lines whenever they have to speak it. Kim Tae Hee. Dont know about LeeWan.

i cant think of any right now lol

~Tran~

LovesKimDongwan, I'm sure Junjin of Shinhwa doesn't know to speak English only Eric.

Guest cocoa

not like some others, it sounded mega natural when he spoke it, I liked it, altho the pron was not that accurate.. :P

Kim tae hee speaks quite good, Kim min and Jung ryeo won speaks good english~^^

Seriously? Kim Rae Won's pronunciation was AWFUL. There's a difference between memorizing the lines given and actually knowing how to converse in English.

Archived