korean stars who speak english

Guest rockstaridol

Guest mrs han

hmm...being able to memorize sentences and pronouncing them isn't considered "being able to speak fluently in english" ^^; Just a thought. Bi memorizes his lines. On his performance in NY, there's lines on the tv screen placed on the floor that he reads from.

My thought exactly. It's one thing to be able to deliver English dialogues in dramas, concerts, etc., but it's another thing to be able to converse in English off-cam. Some may be able to read and understand the language but unable to really speak it. Memorizing and delivering English lines in a show does not make a k-actor/actress/performer English-proficient.

I read from somewhere that LBH (All In, Beautiful Days) is fluent in both English and French. I have yet to hear him speak either, but if it's true, tres bien, LBH.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest munchee

^^ Lee Da Hae was so cute when she spoke english(I'm a big fan too).. I know another clip wherein she spoke english while talking with somebody on the phone and I say she's really good..

but then she just said a few lines...for someone who studied in Australia, i think she still is not that good......

Guest fivemagic

Hi. I haven't seen Typhoon but those who did.. mentioned that LJJ speaks good English in the movie and a (soompi) friend saw him at Typhoon promo event in the US last year. He gets along and speaks English with the fans quite well.

I think he speaks some English in the Dogma Interview (movie) as well.. or was it French?

Anyone know better, feel free to clarify this.

HELLO RUBIE,

SUPER THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.......WILL LOOK INTO TYPHOON!

Guest ilwooxgd

i know of taebin [1tym], teddy [1tym], jinusean, kim kibum [suju], andy [shinhwa], eric [shinhwa], tablo [epik high], tim, brian [FTTS], masta wu [from YG], mickey [tvxq], tony [HOT], tiffany [sNSD], jessica [sNSD]; there is also hyesung [shinhwa] - ive never heard him but he was raised in cali and got in through BROS ent. in america [like tony, taebin, brian, teddy, andy, mickey], american name was steve!! - he might not be fluent though..never heard.

Guest imogene_af

but then she just said a few lines...for someone who studied in Australia, i think she still is not that good......

I wasn't sure of her English skills when I first heard that interview ---when she was talking to a friend (?) but when I saw her in the variety show, speaking in English, I thought she was pretty fluent. Grammar was correct. Pronounciations were spot-on. And an underlaying Aussie accent was coming in and out. However, when she said "here" though, she said it as "hee".

The school that she went to in Australia is pretty well known for their academic standards. Although, it seems like a little bit of a hippie school based on their "self learning" agenda. It is also a very diverse school in upper class suburbia. Anyway, I think she may have a good grasp in the language in order to go there. I don't think she's a Cate Blanchett ... but I'll put her up there as a mildly fluent one/ pretty good at conversational English.

But for me, Han Ye Seul rocks at English. I love it when she speaks it with such an acid tongue in FANTASY COUPLE. Hehe.

Guest silentmarj

As I remembered ..song hye kyo cannot speak in english [i mean conversation] when she was interviewed by one of the reporter from the philippines she had a translator by her side..though I know she can understand english.

• 6 years later...

This thread has been dead since 2007. So I'll be the first to update this threat only because I was searching for information regarding Kpop singer Baba if she know how to speak English and came upon this thread. There has been many American Koreans or Korean singers/entertainers that have improved their skills in English presently. I'll just add to the list of the previous posts from 2007. For all future people who may accidentally come across this thread seeking information on language skills of their singers/entertainers/actors.

Taecyeon (2PM), Nickhyun (2PM)
Ailee (solo artist)
Min (Miss-A)
Kris (Exo)
Taebin [1tym], teddy [1tym],
jinusean,
kim kibum [suju],
andy [shinhwa], eric [shinhwa],
hyesung [shinhwa
tablo [epik high],
tim,
brian [FTTS],
masta wu [from YG],
mickey [JYJ],
tony [HOT],
tiffany [sNSD], jessica [sNSD];  

• 1 year later...

ZE:A’s Im Siwan Reveals His TOEIC Score at Recent Fan Meetingdeedeegii March 21, 2015
siwan.jpg
ZE:A member and actor Im Siwan recently revealed his Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) score during a fan meeting.
On March 22, a representative of ZE:A’s agency, Star Empire, shared, “Despite not having much time to study due to various shoots and filming following the completion of ‘Misaeng,’ this is a score that [siwan] earned through studying in his spare time.”
The agency rep continued to explain, “His original goal was to score around 800 so he is personally satisfied for scoring higher [than that] He especially felt a lot of pressure revealing his score to fans for the first time.”
The ZE:A member shared his TOEIC score on March 21 at a fan meeting, earning a round of applause for his impressive score.
Meanwhile, Siwan embarked on his first-ever solo fan meeting tour throughout Asia on March 7, and the fan event in Seoul will be held on March 22.
Source: [Soompi]

Archived