In-style magazine Interview of Uhm Tae Woong :wub::lol:

(September 2006 Issue)

in.1.jpg

in.2.jpg

in.3.jpg

InStyle Magazine September 2006:

Man of Style: Uhm Tae-Woong

Stranger, Dreaming of Heaven: Uhm Tae-Woong

Perhaps it’s because of the solemnity that comes with getting to a desired place only after a long

wait – conversations with him are always slow-paced, but never wander off topic as they continue

on. Actor Uhm Tae-Woong. Following his debut through a bit part in the 1997 film <Strange

Guys>, he has endured a not-so-short period of anonymity, finally beginning to gain the attention of

the public via his role in the 2003 film <Shilmido>. Steadily building his own brand of acting not only

on the big screen but also through TV roles, he has also garnered the support of die-hard fans via

his work in the TV series <Sassy Girl Chun-hyang> and <Buwhal>. We have met with the man

who has now embarked on a new challenge through the new drama <Stranger than Heaven>.

Sporting a new hairstyle, bangs flattened against the side of his head, flashy outfits, and a rackety

attitude, he had already completed his transformation from Uhm Tae-Woong to ‘Kang San-ho’.

Q. What kind of a person is ‘Kang San-ho’, your character in <Stranger than Heaven>?

A. He’s an unpredictable guy, a mysterious character. Sometimes he seems endlessly grave, and at

others he seems buoyant to the point of being obsequious, and he can also be rather childish… Out

of the three main characters in the drama, he endures the most pain and hardship, and lives the most

desperate life. At first I had a lot of difficulties because I didn’t quite understand this character, but

as time goes and as I understand him better, I am becoming more and more comfortable acting the

part.

Q. How similar are Kang San-ho and the real-life Uhm Tae-woong?

A. We’re alike in the sense that we have harbor a lot of thoughts and are complicated in the inside;

but whereas Kang San-ho tends to spit out his thoughts or show his emotions without hesitation, I

always keep my thoughts to myself and work things out alone.

Q. In the drama, Kang San-ho used to be a soccer player in his past; do you enjoy soccer

in real life?

A. I’m not much good at sports that involve balls. You see, I tend to not like gathering in groups of

more than three people (laughs)… As far as sports go, I mainly stick to running by myself, or going

hiking, biking, or swimming. Luckily, in the drama, it’s only mentioned that [my character] was once

a soccer player; there aren’t actual scenes where [he] plays soccer.

Q. How was the shooting in Canada, at the beginning of the series?

A. We filmed in Vancouver, but my parts were frankly pretty limited, so I did a lot of sight-seeing

and enjoyed myself. I like quiet and clean places like New Zealand or Canada much better than big

cities like New York.

Q. Which was the most stylish character out of those you’ve acted so far?

A. I’d say it’s probably this one now. In my previous roles, I generally dressed in plain suits, but

here I am usually in grungy and tough, but stylish outfits. After [my character] rises in ranks (?) at

around the midpoint of the series, I think I will probably be sporting more luxurious styles.

Q. Are you fashion-conscious in real life?

A. Usually I’m always in jeans and t-shirts. Personally I don’t know much about fashion and I’m not

much interested in it, either – but I do think it’s a good thing to come out looking more fashionable

in my TV roles. If movies are a more realistic genre, TV dramas a bit more of a trendy genre, you

know.

Q. What do you think is the most important thing for becoming stylish?

A. Lots of effort. See, there are many times I like something I’ve seen on another person, but when

I try it on myself it doesn’t look right. It seems to me that to find the style that’s right for oneself, one

would have to take active interest in fashion, and pay attention to the changes in trends and whatnot.

Real style, I think, is style that just comes through naturally, without having to make oneself up to the

point of appearing over-the-top.

Q. Is there anything in particular you always avoid wearing?

A. Tight pants. I sometimes put them on for picture shoots, but they’re so uncomfortable and they

really don’t seem to go well with my body type, so I try to avoid them if at all possible. Oh, and also

thin cotton pants. I haven’t got much on my hips, so whenever I wear something like that, I always

feel like the pants are just turning and moving all day and that bothers me.

Q. Anything you believe every man should have in his closet?

A. Honestly speaking, land deeds or bankbooks (laughs). Each person’s got a different idea of

what’s important, right? Someone who likes clothes would be happy to have a closet full of clothes,

but as far as I’m concerned, I think I’d be happier to have a bankbook with a hefty balance, so that

I know I can do things I enjoy when I get older, too.

Q. What are the most common items in your wardrobe?

A. Hats and underwear. As for hats, I’ve got lots of different kinds ranging from baseball caps to

beanies. Whenever I’m having a bad-hair day, it’s just easy to put one on and go. Underwear is just

one of those things that’s easy to buy wherever you go, so I think I’m ending up collecting more and

more. It’s not particularly expensive and isn’t affected by trends, so I always figure it can’t hurt to

have more. I don’t tend to like things that stand out, but as far as underwear goes, I don’t have to

worry much about the colors or designs.

Q. What do you think is the factor that affects a man’s style, other than clothes?

A. Well-groomed shoes that match the clothes well, and belts that basic yet stylish. I think you

could become stylish if you have things that can work equally well for casual settings and more

formal occasions.

Q. Who’s your style icon?

A. Leung Chiu Wai (Tony Leung, 梁 朝 偉). When I look at him, I realize that it’s possible to look

sexy and elegant in a suit even if you aren’t the most statuesque guy in the world.

Q. What is the most treasured piece in your wardrobe?

A. A pair of Levis 501’s that I purchased a few years back. I didn’t like them much when I first got

them because I didn’t really think they looked right on me, but now that they’ve been worn and

washed a few times, they’ve faded and shaped up nicely. Now they’ve become my favorite pair.

Q. What do you pay the most attention to when picking out jeans?

A. Low-rise styles are most comfortable, and I prefer straight-cut legs. It wouldn’t matter much if

I’d had very long or straight legs, but like most other Asian men I haven’t exactly got the perfect

body type (laughs)…so I tend to pay the most attention to the leg cut.

Q. If you had to choose one clothing brand to wear for the rest of your life, what would it be?

A. Levis for jeans, Vivian Westwood for suits. When I first tried on a Vivian Westwood suit for a

picture shooting, I saw the there was rather a lot of flashy details like laces, and thought “How am I

supposed to wear something like this?” But when I actually put it on, it fit very well and the pictures

turned out looking really good, too.

Q. Any fashion accessory you’re particularly fond of?

A. There was a watch I’d gotten as a gift once, and it was the most expensive item I owned. One

day I was having a drink or two with a close friend, when he looks at my watch, then looks at his

wrist, and sighs. At that moment, I just felt so bad for him that I instantly took off my watch and

gave it to him. When I woke up the next morning sober, I had all kinds of thoughts – that maybe I’ll

tell him it used to belong to my late father, or that I needed it for a drama shooting…(laughs). I felt a

bit bitter looking at the empty watch case for quite a few days afterwards.

Q. The first suit you’ve ever owned?

A. It was the suit that my brother-in-law got fitted for me at S.T. Dupont shortly after I graduated

from high school. It had grey pinstripes, and it was the style that accompanied a vest inside, too, so

if you look at it now it was a bit of an old-person style. But at that time, that was the most expensive

thing I owned, so at weddings or other important occasions I’d always wear that. When I put that

on and walked out on the streets, I felt as if I was a character in the movie <General’s Son>.

Q. Who gives you the most advice when picking out clothes or going shopping?

A. My personal stylist, and the singer Jung Jae-hyung. Sometimes my sister (Uhm Jung-hwa) buys

me clothes, too. My sister likes pretty clothes and really gets enjoyment out of that. So sometimes

she gets on my case, saying “Just why do you go around dressed like that?” – but whenever she

says that, I just think to myself, if something should ever happen, I couldn’t sell clothes to help solve

my problems but I could sell property or cash out on bank accounts (laughs).

Q. What’s your most recently purchased fashion item?

A. When I went to Canada for the shooting, I bought a chunky-knit jumper, and I really like it

because it’s unique and very warm. I think I could hold out this winter with that one jumper. I also

got a very simple but nice jacket for Zara for about $100, and a couple pairs of dress shoes for a

good deal. With my stylist helping me, I actually had quite a bit of fun shopping, too.

Q. When was the very first time you became conscientious about your looks?

A. When I was in 6th grade, it was sort of a fad to start dating. So back then, I’d sometimes sneak

out my sisters’ clothes and wear them out when going to see girlfriends.

Q. When’s the time you looked the most un-stylish in your life?

A. When I was serving my duty in the military. With that dark, sun-burnt face and the shortly

cropped hair, you couldn’t help looking like a serviceman no matter how much you tried. Now

when I look at the pictures I took back then, I just look so tacky I can’t stand it.

Q. If you had to choose between love and ambition…?

A. I don’t think I could live if I didn’t have my work. When I’m working, I don’t think about

anything else, and I only start to miss love when I am finished with work. In that sense, I guess I’d

have to say “ambition”.

Q. Do you feel nervous because of the fact that it took you so long to come to spotlight?

A. A senior colleague of mine has once told me to think of it this way: that the hardships I’ve

endured during those years were all just meant to build up to now, when lots of people are coming

for me. And that though it took me a long time, I am lucky to have eventually gotten here, so that I

should just enjoy the present and not worry too much about the future. Those words really

comforted me. I used to worry a lot about what I’d do if I somehow missed the opportunities that

came to me through so much difficulties; but now I try hard to put those worries out of my mind.

Q. Is there anything you’d like to have accomplished by 10 years from now?

A. Being able to confidently answer “actor”, when someone asks me what my job is. And being not

just an actor who can laugh and cry well in front of the camera, but also one who can inspire the

viewers’ trust, who can give the genuine impression of having lived that character’s life. 10 years

from now…perhaps I’ll have become happy and at ease, without the nervousness or anxiety that I

an experiencing now.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UTW, doing his best despite suffering from enteritis

As having shown an impassioned performance in action scenes of drama 'STH' without shrinking from danger, Uhm TaeWoong is gaining popular favor now.

Featuring SanHo, he is known as one of actors who match well in action scenes. While his passion not to take care of himself for good acting causes viewers anxiety, he gets praised by the staff because they can get more vivid scenes thanks to his passionate performance.

In shooting on dangerous action scenes, some safety devices are necessary articles. His appearance wearing a protective robe on his lap to make provision against any possible accident looks very sincere .

Seeing him exausted from heat after making such a nice action scenes, his fans feel pity and at the same time loudly admire him for his devotion to shooting. It is said he is now suffering from enteritis.

He, playing one part in triangular love with Kim Minjung and Lee SungJae in drama 'STH' is now heating up the TV with his charismatic appeal. We wish he is doing his best, would be a beloved actor of his fans for ages through his continuous full activity.

Dated : 4th September 2006

Credit to Bill at uhmsky

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wishing Uhm Tae Woong Ssi a speedy recovery! :D

Note : Enteritis is a painful infection in the intestines that usually causes diarrhoea.

Many thanks to Pucca for the interesting article on the interview with In-Style Mag. :)

Thank you Pucca for the Instyle Interview ..

I like that interview a lot...he was very honest...

It's funny when he talks about clothes :)

Thanks Felicia for the info on UTW also...it's really hard to film in the heat...hope everything is okay for him.

I saw some pictures from cine21...don't know you've seen them...

K0000027__03[W545-].jpg

K0000029__07[W545-].jpg

K0000028__06[W545-].jpg

K0000030__05[W545-].jpg

As for this drama...I think I watched up to episode 5...

It got better but I still don't like LSJ's character...

He's really nice but for some reasons I don't like it...I want him to be more tough.

P0000019_01[W545-].jpg

M0040099_02[W545-].jpg

1154141778_1.jpg

Thanks Luv for sharing UTW’s pictures and he looks good even on different angles. Despite being a shy person, he really is adventurous and not camera-shy during shooting. :P

WoW! You are already on episode 5! That’s great and do share with us your experience of watching this drama. I think LSJ’s character is a bit put-off right now but I hope the writer will reveal a different side of him at a later stage. ;)

I think everyone (actors/PD...) associated with this drama is very sad right now...

The latest episodes recorded the lowest ratings ever...it means no one is watching this drama.

On August 28...it recorded a very low rating of 3.8% then the next day...the rating even went down to 2.9%.

Link To Article

I think everyone (actors/PD...) associated with this drama is very sad right now...

The latest episodes recorded the lowest ratings ever...it means no one is watching this drama.

On August 28...it recorded a very low rating of 3.8% then the next day...the rating even went down to 2.9%.

Link To Article

Oh dear…what an alarming ratings! :tears::tears: I wonder what course of action they are planning to recover from such a depressing news! Do you think they will consider slashing the episodes to wrap up the drama? Hope not! :(

Guest dramalover

I noticed the drama tittle changed to STRANGER than HEAVEN?Anyways,I'm sharing some captures,hope

it's not been posted..

untitled24xi9.pnguntitled23gd5.png

untitled22ms3.pnguntitled25bk6.png

credit:sbs

Guest spark86

I was wondering if anyone could upload episodes from number 6 on non clubbox links. Clubbox doesn't work for me. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks Dramalover and Luv for updating us with some caption of pictures of STH. :)

The drama title has been changed to "Stranger Than Heaven" since it was referred to at UTW’s official fan site and on the OST album (thanks to Pucca for the information).

WoW! Is Kim Min Jung playing with fire……showing affection to both brothers on different scenes? :P

I was wondering if anyone could upload episodes from number 6 on non clubbox links. Clubbox doesn't work for me. I would really appreciate it.

Spark86, I am not sure whether anyone of us here are able to fulfill your request but hope some kind soul will answer to your SOS! :D

I just watched UTW's interview from Arirang TV (Showbiz Extra)... it was filmed on the set of Stranger Than Heaven.

You can tell that he couldn't hide the sadness and disappointment that the drama didn't do as expected.

I feel really sad for him and everyone while watching that interview...but unfortunately...it's competing against Jumong so things won't change much.

He just didn't have much luck...last time Resurrection was competing against Samsoon also.

This one is the short introduction video clip:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J43IU59V

or http://www.sendspace.com/file/dd4b71

bscap086zo7.jpg

bscap102wm2.jpg

This is the link to the Star Focus Video:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q993DHIT

or http://www.sendspace.com/file/10y1cj

bscap006od5.jpg

bscap036go3.jpg

bscap038az3.jpg

bscap049hq4.jpg

bscap067ba9.jpg

Thanks Luv for providing us with the link to watch the interview. :) Pretty sad.....looking at him! :(

I agree with you that luck is not on his side but I think even without any comparison or competition with any other dramas, Resurrection itself will achieve great success. I wonder what will be the outcome if WOLF continue its' production. :blush: Spiritually and mentally, we need to support the whole team! Aja! Aja! Fighting! :D

Actually ill be quite honest and say that this drama hasnt lived up to my expectations but i still watch it nevertheless for great acting.

Aside from the fact that the storyline is questionable, i dont think that alot of it has to do with it current competition which is huge too but the fact that the storyline lacked from the very beginning.

I loved Resurrection and from my understanding, it has built a nice little niche in the hearts of viewers like myself as Ruler of Your Own World did back then. The cast is extremely talented so i have no doubt that they will bounce up again!

Thanks Luv for posting the interview, im going to watch it when i get home. You should scoot on over to My Lovely Fool thread =D

Guest Pucca.sg

I just watched UTW's interview from Arirang TV (Showbiz Extra)... it was filmed on the set of Stranger Than Heaven.

You can tell that he couldn't hide the sadness and disappointment that the drama didn't do as expected.

I feel really sad for him and everyone while watching that interview...but unfortunately...it's competing against Jumong so things won't change much.

He just didn't have much luck...last time Resurrection was competing against Samsoon also.

This one is the short introduction video clip:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J43IU59V

or http://www.sendspace.com/file/dd4b71

bscap086zo7.jpg

bscap102wm2.jpg

This is the link to the Star Focus Video:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q993DHIT

or http://www.sendspace.com/file/10y1cj

bscap006od5.jpg

bscap036go3.jpg

bscap038az3.jpg

bscap049hq4.jpg

bscap067ba9.jpg

Oh~ thank you so much Luv to post and share the photo and clip with us here... :)

I agreed with you and Felicia :mellow:

Poor Tae Woong oppa~ really hope the rating will go up~ :(

oh wow ... did it mean they even beat the ghastly autumn showers which set the lowest record last time when it's airing? i can understand why autumn showers did so badly since the storyplot sucks and to top it off ... two out of the three leads totally killed the drama even further.

Thank you Shenny and WITH S2 for the subtitles. :wub: :wub:

I kept on sighing when I think of the cast...I'm sure they work very hard on this.

This is when we realize how important the script really is.

Before, I always think the actors make or break a drama but now the script is just as important.

Adding to Exupery and Luv's comment .......

I don’t think STH fare worse than Shower Autumn (not that I am biased) as the storyline is much more interesting than SA and the cast are all brilliant and experienced actors. I admired Kim So Yeon (an under-rated actress) but I couldn’t bring myself to watch the remaining scenes of the drama after she went into coma. There was nothing addictive in the storyline and even the good looking Oh Ji Ho failed to lift up my spirits. I was pretty upset about the low ratings since I expected her presence to make a difference. :(

Besides engaging great cast, other ingredients especially the SCRIPT, directorship, cinematography, sound and effect technicians played an important role in producing a successful drama. One of the successes of a drama is when you are able to attract viewers like a magnetic force and then make them crave for more like an addiction....non-stop watching!! ;) Even after the ending, you couldn’t shake off the role characters of your favorite actors… scenes were constantly playing in your head and sometimes it takes months to withdraw yourself from the show. That is what I called suffering from “withdrawal syndrome” an impact that leaves a deep impression.

In STH, we have talented actors but it somehow fall short in other aspects and perhaps, JUMONG had drawn too many viewers into their camp that it leaves a very minority group for STH. :( Anyway, these are all based on my personal views……

P.S - Joongmal gamsahamida to our dearest experts for the subbing! :D

Thank you Shenny and WITH S2 for the subtitles. :wub: :wub:

I kept on sighing when I think of the cast...I'm sure they work very hard on this.

This is when we realize how important the script really is.

Before, I always think the actors make or break a drama but now the script is just as important.

you're so right on this!

a good script can catapult an average actor into stardom

and a bad script cant be saved by 3 of the best actors

yes my <3 aches so much for UTW *sniff sniff, tear drops*

i luved him in ChunHyang and Resurrection and I thot Wolf was gonna be another masterpiece

i luved everything in Wolf and i was rooting for him to end up with HJM's character!!!

then the accident and a sudden stop and my <3 dropped a thousand ft

then i pinned my hopes on STH and got so excited when KMJ was announced

now i cant see where the whole thing is heading.....*sigh*

maybe watching with subs now will help me feel better

With S2 : thanks for all the hard work put in!

Archived