[Drama 2009] Boys Over Flowers / Hana Yori Dango 꽃보다 남자

Rebby

Guest Chianna

In that .gif I can totally see her as Yuki but I'm not getting attached to anyone until we hear the official word.

Everyone's been cast but tptb are holding out on us? <_< Smart marketing but annoying.

I'm not thrilled that Rui's role has been expanded, no offense to Rui fans but I've always found him dull. Perfect for Makino's first crush and I usually like their eventual friendship but ultimately not very interesting as a character. I would have preferred Soujiroh's role to be expanded or Akira to get a storyline.

Ah well I'm sure it'll be fine.

im just anticipating for who will be castd as jihoo/rui's grandfather.. since rui's role in this drama will be ALOT bigger than in previous dramas.. they are adding a grandfather role in it.. n his supposed to be a ex ______. or something..

WHAT? oh no...they shouldn't do that. now i'm worried.

one of the biggest parts of the Hana Yori Dango Japanese version (the first season) i hated was when they acted like Rui ended up with Shizuka, which so doesn't even come close to happening in the manga.

Rui eventually falls for Makino, but ends up alone. And this is how it should be!!!

24 episodes - there are so many stories to try and cram in about the stuff going on between Makino and Domyouji to make up a completely new story for Rui, really makes me worry... :sweatingbullets:

Guest .moony.

I don't know why I don't like the face of Kwak Ji Min, so at first when I heard about her being Makino I felt bored. So when Goo Hye Sun got the role I felt released, I've just finished Choi Kang Chil Woo and Pure 19 so I think Goo Hye Sun is fine. By the way, I read somewhere that Goo Hye Sun got the highest vote from fan for the role Makino, I dont know why many people felt surprised when she got the role.

Hm I have never heard of her getting any highest vote from fans. I just remember that the directors said smth about her being mentioned as one of the candidates by fans.

I'm not thrilled that Rui's role has been expanded, no offense to Rui fans but I've always found him dull. Perfect for Makino's first crush and I usually like their eventual friendship but ultimately not very interesting as a character. I would have preferred Soujiroh's role to be expanded or Akira to get a storyline.

Actually I think the previous Rui actors just suck (no offense to Oguri Shun fans. he's great in other movies but he is just dull in HYD.) Rui in the manga is one of the best manga characters ever, which is why there are a lot of RuixMakino shippers.

The previous dramas just could not deliver his role. Instead of the complex, calm, sweet Rui who you can always go to when you have trouble, and will always have the best advice for you, and will always be there for you, they made him into a "Quiet & boring guy." Poor Rui :tongue2:

^

Yeah. Rui's fascinating as a character in the manga. Plus the flow of the manga was a lot better, with a lot more Makino/Rui oriented scenes so that's where the Rui/Makino shipping started... I actually supported Rui/Makino when I read the manga but supported Domyouji/Makino when I watched the drama because I thought Domyouji's character was more interesting... In HYD I think they could've written the script so it showed a bit more of Rui's quirks..

In my case, I enjoyed J-HYD as more of a seperate drama rather than an adaptation of the manga, because the characters seemed a lot different from how I saw them in the manga... which is why I often get confused when everybody says the casting for the j-drama version was 'perfect' and 'spot on'. IMO, the korean cast seems a lot more accurate (at least in looks) when compared to the original. That's just my opinion.

Anyway, I think all of the F4's roles are going to get expanded on to some extent? I don't see why they wouldn't, considering the series' length... I'm pretty sure they've added plotlines to Soujirou's role already.

Guest Chianna

I don't dislike Rui by any means but even in the manga I found Rui bland. Although his moments of oddness were amusing, like playing with Makino's hair or agreeing to the holiday of awkwardness because he fancied going to the hot springs.

I wouldn't call the JDrama spot on perfect either but for me it captured the feel of the manga without getting too tied down to being a translation. Trust a former power rangers/sentai fan literal translations are not fun.

Guest ljphantom

Tobemist: Thanks for the info on Yuki. Haha, looks like I'll be thanking you many times to come, eh? :lol: Kim So Eun -- huh, not a bad choice, appearance-wise. Do you happen to have any info on her acting skills?

24 episodes - there are so many stories to try and cram in about the stuff going on between Makino and Domyouji to make up a completely new story for Rui, really makes me worry... :sweatingbullets:

Hmm, if Boys Before Flowers brings in high ratings, then KBS may give it an extension. If that's the case, maybe the writers would be able to take time to explain the side storylines better. This is probable, considering KBS's situation before The World They Live In aired:

KBS is pinning a lot of its hopes on The World They Live In, needing the new drama to pick the station out of its current ratings slump. It’s been particularly rough in its Monday-Tuesday slot, most recently with Love & Marriage, preceded by Strongest Chil Woo before that, Rivals, and Single Papa in Love, none of which has been able to score solid double-digit ratings (Chil Woo broke 10% a few times, but not consistently).

For that reason, they’ve really been pouring on the promotion for World, starting with a special broadcast this Tuesday and new teaser posters and stills periodically released to maintain an interest in the series (like you need to stoke interest when you’ve got Song Hye-gyo paired with Hyun Bin).

By the time The World They Live In is over, Boys Before Flowers will take its place: same channel, same time. If ratings for The Worlds They Live in pick up and stay that way till the end, KBS wouldn't want to lose its place considering its current situation with ratings slump, especially when they'll be competing with extremely popular dramas like East of Eden and whatever drama SBS has lined up for after Tazza is over in December. Of course, they could give The World They Live In an extension, but that would depend on a lot of factors -- not to mention the question of whether or not their two biggest stars, Hyun Bin and Song Hye Gyo, would be available by then. If Boys Before Flowers brings in high ratings for KBS in the Monday-Tuesday slot, why wouldn't KBS give it an extension? There'd probably be less problems with giving BBF an extension in that case, considering that it doesn't depend on high-profile actors as much as TWTLi does.

At least, that's what I'm hoping if the writers decide to expand on the side storylines for each of the F4, and because I think I would enjoy a more equal focus on each of the F4 (as much as it is enjoyable watching Makino and Domyouji work out their romance).

Guest Tobemist

^ No worries... Kim So Eun has quite a lot of works under her belt (5 movies and 2 dramas) for someone so young, but since I haven't watch any of those that she has done, I'm not too sure whether her acting skill is good. However, I find her really likeable. So let's wait and see whether she will be the one. And I hope they will cast Sara too... she's also an important character.

Guest mayyeejeh

i'm actually really excited to see this one (since i watched korean and taiwanese version)... the appearances kinda match the characters, just dont know the actings... woot!

Guest heorungnghenhac

Hm I have never heard of her getting any highest vote from fans. I just remember that the directors said smth about her being mentioned as one of the candidates by fans.

I don't know korean, so I read the news which has been translated into my language. It said that a Korean website had made a survey on the internet and Goo hye Sun got 34% vote for the role Makino, then Han Ji Min 26%, Moon Geun Young 23% and Lee yeon Hee 15%. This news is very old. Maybe it's not really correct but it showed that many people wanted Goo Hye Sun become Makino.

Kim So Eun has been in Fly Daddy fly (Lee Jun Ki), Sad love story( Kim Hee Sun, Kwon Sang Woo). I have only watched Fly Daddy Fly and I think she's fine.

Guest virvir111

I don't know korean, so I read the news which has been translated into my language. It said that a Korean website had made a survey on the internet and Goo hye Sun got 34% vote for the role Makino, then Han Ji Min 26%, Moon Geun Young 23% and Lee yeon Hee 15%. This news is very old. Maybe it's not really correct but it showed that many people wanted Goo Hye Sun become Makino.

Kim So Eun has been in Fly Daddy fly (Lee Jun Ki), Sad love story( Kim Hee Sun, Kwon Sang Woo). I have only watched Fly Daddy Fly and I think she's fine.

yeah she did get highest votes actually. n yes it was weird how after she got casted ppl said she's too old.. but thats died down now..lol.. its like this way and then that way. "PICK A SIDE!"

Guest .moony.

^ Not that people don't think she's too old anymore. It's just that everyone only complained once. None of us wants to keep complaining about the same thing over and over again cuz there will be certain people who will say "omg you complain too much blah blah." Drama drama. Besides the casting is already done, what's the use in complaining now.

In my head I still think she's too old and looks nothing like makino lol XD. But her acting might prove me wrong so I'm waiting to see it. (Actually all the makinos i've seen annoy me so I don't really hate or expect a lot from this Makino. The F4 here already makes up for it :D)

Anyway I check this thread so often just to see any update/pic T_T but they are so secretive mannn...can't wait till its release. =(

Guest blissfully_unaware13x

ooh thanks very much for the pictures. they are making me more excited for the drama :D the pictures make the drama seem more promising. yay. kim bum looks really good in that suit..