[Drama 2008] My Pitiful Sister / Big Sister 큰언니

Guest huangsy

Hi Exupery

I did think of that. But then I figured that Inok should know that would mean sweet Inae also has to move with her to Hakin's home. Mrs Kim would eat the sweetie alive! I could not see Inok agreeing to that. And also Inok answers back to Mrs Kim on everything except when it comes to marriage and her home. Its a strange contradiction so I find that rather odd. Maybe its only me thinking this way. I am still trying to understand Korean culture.

Is his name Woo-hyuk? It appears differently in the english translation. I wish the translators would not do that! I have seen shows where the character calls someone - say Song Inok and the translation appears as Inok Song. Anyway, back to this guy. He told Insu that he doesn't have much time left so it does look like a terminal illness. Plus he was coughing up blood and has an oxygen tank in his room. I only like Insu when she stands up to Mrs Kim. At other times I think Insu is very spoilt and should get a MIL like Mrs Kim :tongue2:

Deoksan's Mum does seem to be a very good-hearted and intelligent woman who cares about her family and employees.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Deoksan was heartbroken when Inok turned down his proposal a couple of years back. He went on to marry another girl but she died later..how tragic. His mother found out about Inok's photo he's been keeping but he refused to say anything. And Hakin found out too..about Deoksan's past proposal to Inok..we're in for more drama..

So what's the name of that Mozart/Chopin guy actually?..Uhyeok, Woohyuk?..anyway..Insu looks good with him..but he's dying isn't he?..that's sad..

Guest b00kw0rm

Exupery/Pinto,

I find the relationship between Hakin and Inok rather strange and contradictory too. She was 13 when she "fell in love"! They are engaged. They have referred to their engagement as has Insu and other characters like Hakin's boss. But Mr Kim has never referred to their engagement and Mrs Kim arranges marriage meetings for him and says she will never let Hakin marry Inok. If Inok is so traditional and so mindful of Hakin's duty as the eldest son, how come she got engaged to him without his parents knowledge and consent? Some things don't add up and I think the whole Hakin and Inok equation should be thrown away!

Guest meilim_ong

I think Mrs Kim wants to buy Inok's house to prevent her son from doing so.

I saw in a highlight in KBS that Inok will marry Deoksan. Wonder how that came about?

I loved it when Hakgyu carried his mom away when she tried to create chaos with the sisters in their house.

Hi Exupery

I did think of that. But then I figured that Inok should know that would mean sweet Inae also has to move with her to Hakin's home. Mrs Kim would eat the sweetie alive! I could not see Inok agreeing to that. And also Inok answers back to Mrs Kim on everything except when it comes to marriage and her home. Its a strange contradiction so I find that rather odd. Maybe its only me thinking this way. I am still trying to understand Korean culture.

I guess Inok is not as far thinking as we thought? Haha. No idea what her plans are with regards to Inae or if she planned on marrying Hakin at all. Maybe she thought they will only get married after she settles the issue of Inae? Maybe she thought she can protect Inae or maybe hope Hakin can protect Inae from that witch of a mother of his? :wacko:

But anyway, it's not just a Korean culture thing. I think in some Asian countries, some families do still practice the elder son and his wife must take care of aged parents in those family who are still a bit archaic in their thinking. It is an expected thing.

Is his name Woo-hyuk? It appears differently in the english translation. I wish the translators would not do that! I have seen shows where the character calls someone - say Song Inok and the translation appears as Inok Song.

So what's the name of that Mozart/Chopin guy actually?..Uhyeok, Woohyuk?..

Uhyeok or Woohyeok ... it's all written the same in Korean. It just depends on what romanization standard is used? The Korean alphabet is 'u' but it's actually pronounced or sounded as 'oo'. And I think most Koreans will write it as Woo in English than just 'U' ...because it looks better anyway, don't you think? Just like 'I' which actually sounds like 'ee' is written as Lee ... Bak/Pak is written as Park ... Im is written as Lim etc. When the Koreans pronounce Lim or Lee or Woo ... the L and the W are kind of silent when you pronounce it. Listen to Insu when she calls him next time. Btw ... Insu can be romanized as Insoo too. :P

But yeah ... I don't know why they subscribe to spelling it as Uhyeok in the KBS translation. Maybe that's the romanization standard they are using? Does anyone remember how they spell the name of the actor playing the old Deoksan in the opening credits? Kim Il Wu or Kim Il Woo or Kim Il U? Because Woo-hyeok or U-hyeok's 'Woo' or 'U' is the same character as the last character in his name. And it's the same Woo as Kwon Sang Woo.

Song Inok and Inok Song are both the same. In Asian countries like China and Korea, surname or family name comes first and in Western countries surname or family name comes last. So I guess depending on the translator and who he/she is catering the translation for ... they will either put Song first or Inok first. If they use the Korean referral and put it as Song Inok ... then Americans watching the drama will think Song is her name instead of Inok?

Hope I'm not confusing anyone? Haha.

And anyway, I really do hope Inok marries Deoksan for Inae's sake. Hakin & his crazy eyes just do nothing for me except make me want to throw my remote at him. Not to mention his crazy mother.

Btw ... I don't think Inok & Hakin are say officially engaged but do remember it's small town they are living in and everyone knows everyone. So people who have watched them grow up could tell they are very close & like each other and have stayed close all those years so it's sort of a foregone conclusion that they think Inok & Hakin will get married eventually so that's why they refer to them as being as good as engaged? So they are not really engaged but everyone thinks they are as good as engaged.

Guest b00kw0rm

Maybe its the way its translated but I do remember at least two occasions when the engagement was mentioned. When Hakin was working in the hospital in Seoul and received a letter from Inok, his colleague teased him that he must be overjoyed to receive a letter from his fiancee. Also when he came to see Hakin in his hometown and asked him why the long face since he should be happy that he is living close to his fiancee. But yah, I think everyone except Mrs Kim seem to think they would end up together!

I've always liked Hyaguk until now. Recently they shown a side of him, when he was talking to Woohyeok that so much like his crazy mother! Yikes!! And I didn't like Woohyeok until then. All along I thought he was a bit too smooth and a bit too soft but I liked the way he responded to Hyaguk's obnoxious behaviour.

Just like Deoksan with Hakin. Quiet dignity and strength. So Deoksan wins Inok's hand in marriage. I hope Inok does not enter the marriage while pining for Hakin. I think perhaps Deoksan's Mum would have something to do with it. She is mistaken in her impression that Mrs Kim is upset with Deoksan for coming between Hakin and Inok. Mrs Kim would like nothing better. What Mrs Kim was upset about was Deoksan's protecting Inok from her verbal abuse and crazy accusations. Once she finds out how things really are, I think she will change her mind.

I agree that its generally Asian culture that eldest son must take care of the aged parents. My grandfather had that same thinking. Although his eldest son was a worthless bum and his DIL's only claim to genius was in her clever way of spending money and despite the it was his other children who actually helped the aged parents especially when they were ill, grandfather being a true traditionlist left everything to the worthless bum when he died.

Personally I feel that the translator shouldn't go overboard with translating the name in the western fashion. After all, if Asians can understand how westerners write their names, don't tell me westerners got no brains to figure out the Asian way :tongue2:

thanks, Exupery. Very interesting to know!

So Hakin is the one who pushed Inok away. Ha, that will come back to bite him! His temper tantrum was so like a girl's. "I am angry with you. You don't know why I'm angry? How can you not know what you did to upset me? No, I won't tell you why I'm angry because telling you about it would only make me angrier!". Such a girlie temper, bro!

Hakin is always going on about his sacrifices yet he spent years rather oblivious to what Inok has sacrificed. He dictates to her what he wants her to do without thinking of the consequences for her. Deoksan always thinks of what would be best for Inok. I still feel that Hakin doesn't really love Inok. His first reaction to news of Deoksan's proposal to Inok was that Deoksan must have proposed out of pity. I think that is really what Hakin feels for Inok. Guilt that her Dad lost his life saving his. Pity for the struggles she had to endure raising two sisters, dropping out of school and not fulfilling her dreams/potential.

And a part of me thinks that the way he lashed out at Inok over this news is that he was angry that he made all this "sacrifices" for nothing as she could have married Deoksan and he would have been absolved of his guilt! Haha, maybe I am thinking too much here :)

But I bet Mommie Dearest would be very pleased to know that Hakin is the one who took the initial step back and not Inok. She would be happy to tell this to everyone. Hmmph, I wonder if Insu would end up being Mrs Kim's DIL. what a hoot!

Guest meilim_ong

Ya ya.... finally Hakin decided to end the relationship. I think he is acting a bit childish. Well, now that he has shown his true colours, Inok should move on. Sometimes, I don't know what Inok sees in him and how she could bear all the verbal abuse from his mom, etc.

Deoksan's mom is paving the way for him to be "husband" material. Making him president, forcing responsibilities on him...good, he was just loafing around, enjoying fresh air most of the times!

Finally it is revealed that Uheok has 3rd stage TB. Wonder how would Insu react. I think she will give up going abroad and take care of him. Hmm...whose baby would it be?

Can't wait to see how the drama would play out? But then we haven't even reached episode 40, right? and there are like a hundred odd more episodes.....

All along I thought Insu was going for a basic degree. But only a few days ago, Inae mentioned a doctorate. In that case, I think Insu is even more selfish than I thought she is. She is always upset with Inok for working at the sawmill and just meekly accepting being treated like a maid but what does Insu do about it? The fact that she has a scholarship doesn't mean that she can not contribute to the family meagre earnings for so many years and then to say she is entitled to her share of the family home. Does her scholarship also cover her living expenses and if so, how come we have seen Inok giving her money? What a selfish selfish self-centred child. If she had a conscience she should have stopped at a basic or masters and get a job. Inok would then have had a chance to upgrade herself.

Insu is very much like Hakin. He's so quick to tell her to quit her job. And do what? Who is going to put food on the table? Did Insu or Hakin even bother to think of a solution instead of constantly pouring scorn on Inok and making her feel smaller than she already does? And yet they claim to get angry with people who treat Inok this way. Bah! And I don't like it that the little sister is learning this bad trait too.

i went to kbs site and watched the current episode which played in korea right now episode 72...

seems like inok married deoksan and have two children a son and a daughter who is a total brat behaving exactly like insu, but i am not sure whether she is actually insu daughter because she is younger than inok's son...Insu is now a surgeon/doc in a hospital working together with Hakin...the forever pain in the richard simmons Hakin's mother now has become more well off and having a maid to serve the family...omg inok look like she aged so much aigoo...Inae still studying and living with inok...tink something happened with deoksan family sawmill because it seems like they are making a living by operating a restaurant...i am glad inok married deoksan because he is more loving and attentive towards inok than the fickle minded hakin...

Guest b00kw0rm

Thank you Asianspirit. I'm happy with the info :tongue2:

I was soo annoyed with Hakin yesterday. What did he mean by saying that they can start over again since Inok quit her job? If she didn't quit her job, he would make her feel like she is sinning against him. but to Deoksan, he will say "my woman. I take care of her. Me Tarjan, she, jane!".

Studying for a doctorate and to be a medical doctor are quite different. This translation thingy again. How come it is always mentioned that Inok is a student of the "German Department". I thought she was a lingustics student!

Its good that Insu and Inae live together. They should get on each other's nerves and appreciate Inok more.

I wished that Deoksan's friend had swindled Hakim's Mum and bankrupted her. But alas, its not to be. Wouldn't it be weird if Insu ends up with Hakin?

Current episode, Deoksan's Aunt just opened a coffee shop. And the Mum asked him to look into the furniture business as she said they cannot survive on the sawmill alone.

i see Hakin as a useless guy when come to his love for inok...he cant even protect inok from his mother daily verbal abused to inok...gosh i wouldnt want a guy like him to be my hubby even if he is a doctor cuz i know i will suffer emotionally...and for insu she's one self centred girl i dun understand how she can watched inok suffered so much to bring up her and inae the very least she can do to at least give inok an emotional support and also chip in for the survival of the family, she can always further her study when the family doing better....on the other hand sometimes i am so fed up with Inok for being so weak she let herself to be verbal abused by Hakin's mother and being put down by other ppl around her cant she like speak up and show a strong character sometimes i feel like its more tiresome than pitiful watching her being attack left and right...her character is so weak i'd wished so could at least defend herself

I agree with you, Asianspirit.

Watching today's show, I really wanted to smack many people!!! Most of all, Hakin. There he goes again with another "well thought out idea" . When he knows that his Mum is aware of the plans, he continues his merry way with no regard for Inok's safety. Doesn't he know what we all know - that his mother is not right in the head and always blames Inok for every problem. And when he knew his Mum had returned the money he borrowed from his friend, he did nothing to find out the status of Inok's house! Surely he would know his Mother better by now! Hey Dr Hakin, do you have a brain or not?! I think Hakin is already in Seoul when Inok returns home and finds she is being thrown out of her house? Such a useless bugger! He never seems to be around when she needs him most. But then again, a hugh amount of her problems are caused by him and his mother!

Two recent episodes only and I am already tired of Inae's mullish expression. Seems from the preview she overhears Deoksan's aunt mentioned that Inok gave her away as a baby. I bet she will be more upset with Inok. I hope this time Inok opens her mouth and tells her exactly what happened. It is not right to see Inok having to beg Inae for a smile or a kind word.

But I also feel like shaking Inok for always accepting the blame for everything and not standing up for herself. Why did she make it so easy for the Aunt and resigned as she asked. Esp. when the economy is so bad and she finds it hard to get another job. But well if those who claim to love her so much say she is irresponsible, she should remind Hakin, Inok and Insu that they have been chasing after her for years to resign!

Guest b00kw0rm

Poor Inok. With all her troubles she is going through, I think the most painful for her is Inae's coldness towards her. 16-years old ... is that too old to be given a smack :tongue2:

Although I did not like that Deoksan just sat there while his Aunt berated Inok, I still feel he is much better than Hakin. Hakin seems to be very self-absorbed. he has not bothered to see what Inok is up to, how is financially. Also he knows about her housing situation but he doesn't appear to take any proactive action for her other than scold his mother. What good is that to Inok who has no home?!

The preview has him asking Inok why she has to wait at her current occupation! The man thinks money grows on trees or what?! He knows she is going to send Insu to Germany and sold their house for that purpose. A few episodes ago he stupidly told her to take a long rest. Really I wonder if his Mother also paid for him to pass his examinations!

I think Inae has brooded long enough. Its amazing one word from a woman she hardly has any contact with can turn her upside down and make her so upset with sister who she has taken loved her for 16 years. Why didn't Insu tell Inae that Hakin's Mum tricked Inok and sold them. And that's how she got money to pay off her debts and turn her fortune around. I noticed in k-dramas that every mistake a good person makes is never forgotten and broadcasted for the universe to know but a bad person's deliberately evil action is always hidden. :fury:

Guest b00kw0rm

The young Deoksan is now appearing as one of King Sejong's sons. What a cutie!

I can still tolerate Inae. but I hope her pouting ends soon. A bit more and it would be an overkill.

Hakin has shown himself to be completely useless and thoughtless. He is very possessive of Inok and wants her to do everything his way. He makes sympathetic noises about her hardship and suffering but does nothing concrete to help her. Why is Inok still with the loser?

Guest meilim_ong

I hate it too how everyone glosses over Mrs Kim evil deeds. She chased Inok from her house, made her homeless and yet nobody seems to blame her. And also her past doings, selling Insu and Inae - all seem to be forgiven and forgotten. She seems to be getting richer and richer in the process. I thought Gitae would cheat her but it doesn't seem to be happening to this shrewd woman. Oh the unfairness of it all! She dares to act high and mighty and on a moral high ground.

The stupid fool Hakin does not know or is insensitive to Inok's sufferings. How does he think she can survive without any money? Wonder what he will do now, since he found out about his mom's donation and decided not to return to Seoul - he is not even a qualified doctor.

Insu finally showed another side of her with Inae. At least she redeemed herself a bit for all her nasty behaviour in the past.

Now that Yeongsun has found Deokgi, I don't think they will return to the savmill but start a new life in Seoul with the money that Deokgi has pilfered. I can only see the sawmill going down with Deoksan at the helm, with Mr Jang leaving and Mrs Yi sick.

Kang Uhyeok's little brother is a cutie..he looks like the younger version of Lee Dong Gun..and he doesn't know about his brother's illness..today's ending has such a beautiful scene..Insu kissing Uhyeok and he can't help it..really sad..

Kang Uhyeok's little brother is a cutie..he looks like the younger version of Lee Dong Gun..and he doesn't know about his brother's illness..today's ending has such a beautiful scene..Insu kissing Uhyeok and he can't help it..really sad..

Hey Inez, I had been trying to recall Lee Dong Gun's name. Yup, I agree with you!

I don't like Inae's attitude to Inok. Insu told her how much Inok cried when she thought she had lost Inae forever. Inae also knows how much Inok endured to raise her sisters. Nobody would have blamed Inok if she said she was too young and sent them away to an orphanage. But knowing all this, she is still so hateful to Inok. How dare she accuses Inok of lying to her about the house! And Insu can tell Inok with her usual smug expression on her face that Inae may be more mature than Inok! I think she meant more mature than Insu!

Hakin is all hot and bothered about where Inok works. But he didn't ask her where she is staying! And so much for his "why didn't you tell me this and that ..." how come he didn't tell her that it was his crazy evil mother who bought her house and threw her out of it?

Hakin's brother is also another one! He knows that his friend stole the money from his family. He never thought of calling Deokan and informing him? He is an accomplice even if he doesn't benefit from the theft.

Archived