[Short Dramas] Drama City 드라마시티 Drama Special

creidesca

@Felicia Soh,  thank you for your insights.. Thank you so much for the schedule of  Drama Special aired in Korea vs. KBSW.

@Felicia Soh, @cynkdf...I have a question...Maybe (hopefully) you can better understand this article about a KBS upcoming drama special.

It lists the two main actors as Seo Young-Joo and Kim Heung-Soo. If I understand correctly it also mentions Yoo Bo-Ra, one of the scriptwriters of Secrets.  It also mentions the production team of "Good Doctor."   Tentative title is "Youth - 18 Years old?", but I am not seeing it on any KBS Drama Special schedule...

Here goes..  http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LSD&mid=sec&sid1=106&oid=100&aid=0000102458

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@FeliciaSoh, many thanks for the KBS Drama Special airing schedule - I may not be able to watch "Love like that" on Sunday (4 May) - we'll be watching football :) - but will catch the repeat telecast later in the week.
"I'm dying soon"  was quite interesting, a good introduction to Kim Seul Gi and Oh Jeongse, both of whom I've never watched before.
@irilight - can't help re that article, sorry.
http://www.tvreport.co.kr/?c=news&m=newsview&idx=487977

In the above article, I think there's a question mentioning about rumours that the KBS Drama Special series would be abolished but the person answering the question said (if I understand Google Translate correctly), that the series will NOT be discontinued.

@cynkdf, @Felicia Soh,  I hope KBS does not discontinue it... I like this format.

I think it would be nice to let KBS know we like it, with comments on YT or their FB page.

By the way,  both SBS and MBC also have a short format drama. MBC sometimes posts theirs on Hulu, I think,  but I have no idea where we can access SBS ones with subs.

Here is one by SBS I have been looking at, but have no idea where we can watch with subs.

It is called "First Marriage"

http://www.hancinema.net/korean_drama_First_Marriage.php

They are also harder to find, I think, because they are not "lumped" in a program under one umbrella name like "Drama Special."

Here is MBC schedule of past short drama. Theirs are assembled under "drama festival" name. I have yet to watch them.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Drama_Festival

You can watch them on Hulu

@irilight, appreciate all the information on other TV Stations. I don’t think I’ve watched any of these 1-episode dramas from SBS or MBC. Thanks for enlightening me. The link that you have provided could be an upcoming DS but I have found nothing (yet) at KBS website, so I can’t comment. Maybe, that DS will air after “Love Like That” – so far no update from all relevant sources that I know.

@cynkdf, I think what you have posted could be related to one of the latest NEWS posted at Soompi. It says that KBS is interested to slot a drama for Friday evening slot. Here’s the link to read it : http://www.soompi.com/2014/04/08/kbs-plans-to-enter-the-friday-drama-wars/

Just completed watching “I am Dying Soon”……not my favorite topic to begin with but then what terrified me also intrigued me, like how ridiculous it is seeing Oh Jeong-se in me taking up a challenge in life! I am not as alive as I used to be, but I’m not yet dead – I am sort of …..in-between. Soul-wrestling time……that takes you back to a journey of self-reflection.

VERDICT on this drama : Worth travelling!

A wonderful story of the heart told by a screenwriter (Yoo Soo-hoon) with soul – love every bit of the dialogue with romantic elements throw in especially from Kim Sarang to Choi Ujin – “Live the present with passion” and mine to Ujin… – “To know you’re going to die, and to be prepared for it at any time - that’s better. That way you can actually be more involved in your life while you’re living”. Indeed, it’s a beautiful love story – I am glad they created Sarang with such loveliness. She had quite a mischievous, witty sense of humor and a little bit of rebellious streak in her. If they were to keep delving into a story with all the burdensome dramatic lines (mostly monologues from Ujin), I may end it sooner than I expected. Luckily, it has an opposite effect.

When I saw one of the books (Life of Pi) lying in his hotel living room, Mitch Albom’s “Tuesdays with Morrie” struck my mind – should I tell Ujin-sshi (Oh Jeong-see’s character) not to come out with a list of people he wishes to meet before he die but just throw a “funeral” party and invite all the people you would like to personally thank them! Strange, when you are dying, you are much more interested in people you’ve neglected. Anyway, the luxurious suite he booked will fit perfectly for such an occasion.

Well, there are a couple of reasons why you should watch this piece of interesting production : first of all, that’s drama (not dramatic in a sense but worth telling….because it has some reality throws in). Secondly, it’s fun to see performances that moves up and down. Interesting, courageous stories usually come with some kind of struggle and when you begin to understand how Ujin’s life kind of heading to SUCKS-ville, the writer decided to change gears…..with a hint of inspiring hope! I love how the writer kept us in a suspense mode as Sarang kept playing with our feelings by not revealing the content of the letter. Even confused and tortured souls like us wanted clarity. That’s when the story give us a twist that explode into laughter (especially on the laughing gig-class compliments from Lee Mun-jae from Gag Concert) …..- YUP, he found out his most feared BIG C has in fact turned out to be a SMALL C – Colitis and not Pancreatic Cancer. Thanks to the fake doctor (a mental patient) who goes around diagnosing every genuine patient with PC!

Oh Jeong-se was much better groomed in his “dying”-role than his previous PD-nim role in “Marry Him If You Dare”. It wasn’t a very demanding role but it was a huge boost for someone who don’t usually take up lead duties and he was convincing playing the character as I could relate to him. Kim Seul-gi shines as Sarang – one of the finest actresses that could have gotten more demanding roles for her acting skill. Hope to see both of them in bigger roles in films/dramas. 

@irilight, thanks for the info about the dramas. It's a good idea to give KBS World feedback, thanks.
@FeliciaSoh, thanks for the link to that article. I am just keeping my fingers crossed for the upcoming KBS dramas as far as ratings is concerned. Love what you wrote about "I am dying soon". The fake doctor bit was unexpected, although I'd guessed that Ujin didn't really have cancer.  Very impressed by Kim Seul-gi in particular.
Many thanks to Bae Soo Bin Baidu Bar for the link to this article - BTS of " Love like that" 
http://office.kbs.co.kr/suwon/archives/24464

HM0efRT.jpg

@Felicia Soh, thank you so much for looking that up. Looking at Seo Young Ju FB  page, they are still filming it..

It's been a busy week...Will watch this drama soon...

Today Hancinema reported that BSB's short drama, "Love like that" will be airing this Sunday and provided the trailer here

Guest adikkeluangman

Yeon Jun Suk acting in the DS that aired on 30 March in Korea.

Drama Preview

Still170097001_L.jpg
170097002_L.jpg
170097003_L.jpg

Here is the link for the website http://www.kbs.co.kr/drama/thedrama/index.html

Hi @adikkeluangman, thanks for posting that video clip.  As can be seen from the airing schedule posted by FeliciaSoh above, Yeon Jun Suk's' drama "Monster"  will be aired with English subs on KBS World on 20 April. I hope to watch that drama when it's uploaded on KBS Youtube channel. YJS is a fine young actor, and I must admit to liking him not only because of his acting (he was awesome in Brilliant Legacy) but also because he's a good friend of Bae Soo Bin (he attended BSB's wedding last September).

I watched @Felicia Soh's recommendation - "I am Dying Soon."  An interesting subject that has been done before, but not quite as in this Drama Special...I liked the journey of through preparing to die, finding life, and life's joys.

I proceeded to watch another drama special on the subject of death. "The Crying Woman" (aka "The Dirge Singer")  with Kim Yoo-Jeong and Seo Joon-Jeong.  Just like the first drama, it was not really about death but only had death as a backdrop, while the drama  special itself was about how we live our lives.

Kim Yoo-jeong plays the role of a daughter of 'professional mourner," the lowest of the low in society, who hopes to improve her lot in society by becoming a gisaeng.  Along the way she meets another lowly soul - played by Seo Joon-Jeong - who was born to a noble family out of wedlock. Quite a statement about ancient Korea cast society and our need to "connect."

id="watch-headline-title" class="yt" style="margin: 0px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 24px; background-color: transparent; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap; word-wrap: normal; text-overflow: ellipsis; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;"The Crying Woman 곡비 Trailer

http://youtu.be/JIfQ3YNVSBY

The Crying Woman Review

@irilight, thanks for posting about The Crying Woman. I have little Kim Yoo Jung to thank for introducing me to BSB, as I tuned in to Dong Yi on local TV mainly to watch her :)
Love the latest stills:
http://sports.khan.co.kr/news/sk_index.html?cat=view&art_id=201404131045233&sec_id=540201&pt=nv

ZXFMixx.jpg

@cynkdf, please note the change of airing date on the 1st post of this page.  Sorry for misleading you on the date earlier on.  I just realized last Friday that the schedule day for Drama Special is on every Friday through KBSW (thought it was the same as in Korea airing day).

Thanks @irilight and @cynkdf for all the latest update at this thread.

@irilight, “The Dirge Singer” was a refreshing theme and I like how KBS entertain their viewers with an interesting subject that take us back to sageuk-world….for a change.  The heroine (Kim Yoo-jung) is burdened by too much pressure to “inherit” her family’s occupation as being the Dirge Singer.  She has this terrifying confidence in her that makes her character interesting and intriguing.  The “paid-to-mourn” element of the story can be very daunting and it can be really hard to find the bright side of that situation. Love the chemistry of Kim Yoo-jung with Suh Joon-young – even without any love development from these two, they were awesome with their respective emotional pangs and they complement each other so well in terms of sharing their pain.

I enjoyed watching “Why I’m getting married” but somehow it left a less-impact impression on me as compared to “I am Dying Soon”.  Maybe because I was personally more connected to the latter.  

The story of a soon-to-be married couple (WIGM) served as a way to explore the basic conflict of a couple dealing with the jitters of preparing for their wedding and a third party involvement (actor Hong Jong-hyun reminds me of Kim Woo-bin) had sent them almost to spilts-ville.  What fascinated me is actually on how the story connected the female lead, Kim Ji-won (played by actress Park Hee-bon) with her deceased father  - the soul-travelled-back-to-the-past presented a unique theme.  A pleasant journey that revisited Seung-wook’s (played by Song Jong-ho) relationship with her father and all that confrontation they had was really unnecessary to begin with…..

It’s been like a norm for KBS to engage actors who has appeared in their dramas to take up DS roles as well.  Song Jong-ho appeared briefly in “Full Sun” and I guess they didn’t want to let go of him without offering him another KBS production. Not familiar with Park Hee-bon and generally, she did a fine job portraying Ji-won.  

I was expecting a much higher rating for IADS (2.8%) but it seemed netizens prefer the kind of genre offered by WIGM (4.1%).  "The Dirge Singer" scored quite an impressive rating - 3.8%.

Can’t wait to watch “Love Like That”…..that will be another genre, a melodrama.  Some captures of the drama…..

244024270427.jpg

Pictures credit : MBN

20140414013129_534abbe15c251_1.jpg

Pictures credit : MyStarNews

@FeliciaSoh, change of airing date is noted, thanks.
2.5 % rating is a bit disappointing, but never mind, I am pleased with the quality of the drama.  Thanks to KBS for three clips 
Edit:  I think KBS uploaded the whole drama in three-minute clips:
So @irilight and Felicia, if you don't wish to be spoiled ...please don't click on links:
(spoilers)

http://clip.kbs.co.kr/zzim/index.php?markid=2876498

http://clip.kbs.co.kr/zzim/index.php?markid=2876499

http://clip.kbs.co.kr/zzim/index.php?markid=2876501

So sad to hear that the rating for "Love Like That" is by far the lowest rated for this season - thanks @cynkdf for this news. Anyway, I am not bothered by the rating since personally, I think in general it's mostly depending on the mood or taste of viewers at the time of airing. Every one has their own preferences and since this is just 1-act play, it can either be a hit or a miss.

Btw, for those who are interested, KBS will air Yeonjak (exceeding 1 episode) Drama "Their Perfect Day" to fill up the slot for Mon-Tues (supposedly prime-time slot) starting today (14th April, 15th April, 21st April and 22nd April) before KBS debut their new drama, "Big Man" on 28th April 2014.  FYI, this Drama Special was originally aired on 17th February 2013 to 10th March 2013.

This 4-episode DS is worth watching - it's a family thriller drama (overall enjoyed the show).  It's a story which has so much truth and reality defined in it that I believe every family in Korea (especially the high-society) can relate to the storyline. Love the kids interaction with their respective parents and it was so daunting observing how at a very young age the kids had to overcome the parental pressure set upon them.  It's an eye-opener not only in the Korean society but elsewhere in the world where parents are now so into focusing BIG DREAMS + BIG HOPES = BIG HOLE in their pocket...all for the sake of their children's future.  While chasing their own (parents) dreams, they have forgotten to communicate with their children on their wishes and dreams. 

The average rating for this drama is 5.9% (Nationwide - AGB Nielsen)

13973491958437_0.jpg

P. S : This drama won a Special Prize in 2013 @ 8th Seoul International Drama Awards.

Sources : KBS and Dramawiki

@FeliciaSoh, thanks for the info on Their Perfect Day.
Since I sweated on ratings during Secret's run, I'd be lying if I said low ratings didn't bother me.  However, the response to Love like that from viewers has been very encouraging :)
http://medicalworldnews.co.kr/news/view.php?newsid=1397482924

I've watched the clips on KBS three times (must check whether the final 3-minute segment has been uploaded) and will watch them again - must say LeeYoon Ji was superb.
Although a melodrama, Love like that has some light moments. Having watched the result, I am so pleased that BSB decided to act in this beautiful little gem.
Coincidentally, Lee Yoon Ji acted in a KBS drama special three years ago " Terminal" and her character had the same name as her character in Love Like That.
http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201404151139361210

@Felicia Soh..Thank you for awesome reviews of DS "The Dirge Singer" and "Why I am Getting Married."
I so agree with you about the chemistry between Kim Yoo-jung with Suh Joon-young.

@cynkdf, Sad to hear about the poor ratings for "Love Like That." Who knows what it was airing against.. I look forward to seeing it on KBSW. I will click on your links after I have seen it. If we are lucky, maybe KBSW would actually post the whole thing.

Their Perfect Day sounds so good @Felicia Soh..Thank you for the heads up.
  I hope it eventually gets to KBSW so I can watch it.

Here is a Drama Special trailer upcoming 4/22

Trailer Released for "Climb The Sky Walls." Drama Special

photo426466.jpg

Watch Trailer and read more on  Hancinema

I am watching Kim Bo-Ra currently in the daily "Mother's Garden" (although hers is a small role), so I'd be interested in watching this DS with her.

Thanks @irilight for updating the next Drama Special (I've edited the top page), "Climb the Skywalls" and the follow-up drama would be "18 years" as highlighted by you earlier. 

I like the fresh pairing of ZE.A Dongjun with Kim Bora.  This sweetie has now grown up as a beautiful 18 year old girl....whoa....she is so different from her earlier debut.  Like you, I am interested in her role (she will be playing a handicapped as seen in your posting).  A great chance for Dongjun to showcase his talent in sports - one of the great athletes from Dream Team.  He played a small supporting role in "The Fugitive of Joseon" as a fighter - not many lines in that drama but I think he has potential in dramaland.

I never have any idea what drives this ratings game, but I must say this: Anyone who hasn't caught on to what a special talent that Lee Yoon-ji is is really missing out.  8-| This woman has been absolute dynamite in every single production that I've seen her appear in. She's won a boatload of awards, so apparently the insiders recognize the fact.  =D> The public at large, however, I guess we're not all really university material, despite what you may have been led to believe... [-(

Hello @robbo4....nice to see you here.

Rating always drive me nuts but for pleasure-viewing sake, I try not to get so hyped out over the rating issue.  Afterall, I am tuning in to watch a drama/variety show not because of rating review but in appreciation of a wonderful and entertaining piece of work.  I know it hurts the TV Station but I guess you can't win them all.

I know where you are coming from @cynkdf and I know how disheartening for actors and production team to learn of the low rating when the report is released.  I wish every production deserves a motivational rating (say above 5%) rather than to see it dip so low (as low as in the range of 2% eg. “Full Sun”).  All the actors were superb in their acting (sorry I won’t comment much since I’ve yet to catch up……) and I really don’t know what went wrong.  Anyway, it’s no longer the case that bringing A-list actors and famous PDs and writers will guarantee success in terms of rating. In my opinion, it’s mostly all about timing and preferences of the netizens at that point of time plus the special XXXX factor that no one can predict.

Last year the average rating for Drama Special is 3.4% based on nationwide rating from AGB Nielsen Korea.  The lowest rating was 2.7% for “The Unwelcome Guest” and the highest rated DS was “Devil Rider” – 4.4%, the main actor, Yoo Oh-sung won an award for Best Actor in Drama Special category.  He was also in another DS (Mother’s Land) which was aired earlier in 2013.

@cynkdf, is the rating for “Love Like That” highlighted by you from AGB? TNMs rating is normally lower than AGB…..just wondering.

Since we are commenting on rating, I’ve listed below the rating for this year (2014) Drama Special (based on Nationwide rating, source from AGB Nielsen).  Btw, DS rating for Seoul is actually quite high, in the region of <7%.

Taste of Curry – 3.9%

First Birthday – 3.2%

Playing Games – 5.1%

Oh Man-bok is Pretty – 2.6%

The Dirge Singer – 3.8%

I’m Dying Soon – 2.8%

Why I’m Getting Married – 4.1%

Monster – 4.1%

2 Junior High School Student – 2.9%

Love Like That – 2.5%

class="titleNews"ZE:A’s Dong Jun Stars in Drama to Benefit Disabled People

ZE:A’s Dong Jun decided to help raise awareness and understanding of disabled people by donating his talent to a special drama.

Dong Jun attended press conference for drama Climbing Sky Wall (translated) on April 16 in Duksung Girls Middle School. The event was attended by lead actor Dong Jun and his co-star Kim Bo Ra, welcomed by over 300 fans.

Dong Jun took the role of ‘Tae Ho’ in the drama. Tae Ho struggles when his father, a former professional mountain climber, loses the ability to use his lower body due to an accident, but he begins to open up to the world again when he meets a blind girl, Yoo Jin.

63973002.jpg

The production team praised Dong Jun by saying, “We were looking for an actor who can act out Tae Ho, who is a rebel but has a good heart at the same time. Climbing is not an easy sport but he pulled it off well without any complaint.”

Everything involved in the production of the drama was made with talents donated by the cast and staff members.

Dong Jun will also be singing the drama theme song Hold My Hand and donate all proceeds to organizations to help raise awareness of disabled people.

Meanwhile, Climbing Sky Wall will air twice on April 18 and 20 through KBS 2 and 1, respectively.

Photo credit: Star Empire

Source of News : Enewsworld

Archived