[Short Dramas] Drama City 드라마시티 Drama Special

creidesca

I didn't want to come here before I finished the drama and it sure took me long enough to finish this one.

To clarify on @Falicia Soh's mentioning of the writer, yes, this is the debut work of the writer. The script is one of the short drama winners and I can see why it got recognition. The overall idea of the plot is quite interesting. However, like you, @Felicia Soh, I felt really weird with JG-SA love line. It's probably the main reason why I couldn't finish this in one go. The only part I love about The Dreamer is JG's dialogues at the end, even if I can't understand his love toward her at all.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks @conankung for the clarification.  I am very pleased to hear that KBS has continued to showcase newbie writers through short dramas. Suspense in drama and fiction depends on conflict.  The audience goes along for a little while out of curiosity but along the way the may give up or drag the sitting because the story hasn't kept their attention.  A strong conflict leaves us worried by the real danger threatening the characters yet still hopeful everything will turn out all right in the end.  I was drawn by the suspense and when it was revealed, the dramatic tension of mystery and surprise actually shocked me - which is a good thing as the writer successfully accomplished a tension task.

The main plot of "The Dreamer" has been orchestrated beautifully but the depth of the relationship of Jung-il and A-yeong and Jung-il and Sun-ae is kind of lacking (I wasn't able to feel their love...especially the intense love of Jung-il for Sun-ae).  But to be fair, there's action of love through Jung-il but somehow I just couldn't rationalize his love for her....- there is this raw emotions that didn't really project any chemistry or love connection between them.  Perhaps, the pacing of the story needs more time for viewers to feel the connection.  Anyway, it's just my personal opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few good but not quite emotionally connectable episodes for me, I finally found the one that hit the right note in Bomi's Room.

The premise sounded so cute: a girl who wants to marry off her sister whom she shares the room with in order to get her own room. But along the way of Bomi accomplishing her mission, she finds out a big secret. I'm sure many can guess this twist from a mile away, but what I like so much is how it is handled. Very subtle, very mature. As a result, we ended up with one heartfelt story. I love it.

The last short drama of this year, Different Cry, keeps being postponed. I'm not sure if it will air this week either since I have not seen a preview released.

@conankung, love how you cutely wrapped up your thoughts on "Bomi's Room" - totally agree with you.

Thanks for the latest update on Drama Special, KBSW has already caught up with KBS Korea except there's one DS that has yet to air, "Climb the Skywalls".  I really have high hopes on JSA, the drama special version.

I have yet to wrap up "Pitch-black Darkness" (for the time being, I think I have enough of story involving youth bullying and suicidal theme) and I kept wondering why didn’t Danny Ahn’s character request for a change of bus route after the incident?!?  The psychological effect of the accident had badly affected his concentration on driving and other aspects of his well-being.  Well, let’s move on to a lighter and soothing drama, “Bomi’s Room”. I love the cheery tone – it exudes almost the same vibes as in “Oh Man-bok is Pretty” – both main characters relied on young teen actresses.

Bomi’s sweet and zesty presence gooses the drama to life – found "Bomi’s Room" to be irresistibly charming, it’s hard to fathom the appeal of watching a young girl’s pathetic desirous to chase her preying sister out of the house for a privately owned room  – so relentlessly demonstrated.

Bomi grew up in a loveless bubble (that’s what she projected…) – with emotionally absent Omma (she thought her mother only cares and loves Onni), her only friend is the computer, her real family the cast from an American drama – tells us a lot, if not everything, about Bomi and about why she grew up hoping and praying someone will sweep her sister out of their house.

I re-watched some of the scenes for connections and I noticed this writer is good at playing with character surname (referring to scene of Eun-ju watching the TV where the screen showed a host interviewing the film director and a cast)  – OK…we knew that Eun-ju’s first love is the film director, Cha Eun-ho but to add some confusion, the writer name the cast (in the interview as mentioned above) as Kong Myeong. For a minute, I was like ….does it mean Kong Myeong is Bomi’s father but then Eun-ju’s surname is also Kong?!? Aigoo…..for no apparent reason, I got myself so wrapped up with the KONGs!

I love the plot twist relationship at the end of the story – didn’t see it coming but was curious the “sister” actually took every possible effort as a very concerned “guardian” especially during the caning scene when she called the shots in punishing Bomi for teaching Su-cheol on the computer's adult registration site.

In my own interpretation, (hospital bed scene) – I think Bomi was fighting hard to hold back tears when she overheard the truth behind her identity.  When they (Eun-ju and Gil-ja) left the room, she remained in the same position (slowly digesting the shocking truth) without opening her eyes and she finally allowed the tears to flow naturally.  Ahn Seo-hyun nailed the emotional scene convincingly and I felt for her there and then.   I think her heart must be filled with confusion and conflict – Omma Vs Sister turned out to be Grandma Vs Omma. 

Ahn Seo-hyun (Kong Bomi) emerge as the star of the drama – she awed me with her multi-facial expressions. This is a girl who straightaway exudes the sort of blunt, in-your-face persona that most people wouldn’t get away with.  With ASH’s it’s a different story …..maybe, it’s that mischievous look in those big brown eyes….or perhaps, it’s her charismatic gesture.  Either way, once she let loose her bluntness, you can’t help but be instantly charmed.

Love the happy ending – it’s so hard to come by these days.  

This drama is in for a treat for fans of Seo Kang-jun – love the imaginary scene of her dolling up like a spoiled rich teenager and meeting her prince charming, SKJ for a peck on the lips! Love the writer for this special fan service.

The rest of the actors, Lee Young-ah, Shim Hyung-tak and Park Hae-mi are as expert as always.  You can count on them to deliver viewing satisfaction.

Thank you for a lovely review, @Felicia Soh. :x
I can't think of anything to add since I like almost everything about Bomi's Room.

When I first suspected that they were mother-daughter, I was afraid it was going to be makjang. But they handled it so well. BM-EJ's conversation in the hospital room when BM was about to be discharged was really touching, and what BM said to the manager was simple but powerful, "I'd be alright to have you as my dad."

I did finish "Pitch black Darkness". The concept of the drama was pretty interesting. I like the opening statement -- "In pitch black darkness, you can't tell who's the perpetrator and who's the victim." It went well with the conclusion of the drama. But yeah, the story was a little depressing to watch.

@conankung, thanks for sharing your comment on Pitch-black Darkness. Yup, the overall tone of the DS is described as per the drama title. 

"Bomi's Room" is truly a delight to watch and I really appreciate the writer for throwing all the "surprises" in a way that it doesn't seem awkward yet making it look like it was a well-developed progression plot. Everything just wrapped up beautifully for Bomi....she personally groomed her future brother-in-law but it turned out to the best gift ever, a lovely DAD.   

Thanks @efparri - I knew the face but I just couldn't remember where I last saw him.  Now that you mention him, I remember his role in "Everybody Cha-cha" - he was in love with Lee Chung-ah's character and kept his rich family background a secret.

I had been trying to find out one of the title song in "Bomi's Room" - the scene where Eun-ju sang a few lines during the night outing with friends when she was a teenager.  I think at that time she was in love with Dir. Cha and most probably the song was dedicated to him.  I finally got it...it's "Because I Love You" by original singer, Yoo Jae-ha. 

KBSW recently announced that they will be screening ENCORE SPECIAL DRAMA with immediate effect and I don't know until when.

Ah, bad news. The production of JSA adaptation is cancelled. KBS will probably not air the drama special series this year, while the short 1-episode drama specials will resume broadcast in September. So I guess we can assume that Different Cries will air sometime in September.

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LS2D&mid=shm&sid1=106&sid2=224&oid=108&aid=0002320589

• 3 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

Jeon Hye Bin wears earrings by STONEHENgE during a press conference for KBS drama Special Taste of Curry early this year. So any reason why they held a press con for this drama?1654247_636504146386417_819044771_n.jpg
I thought this drama slot is given to Hi School Love On.

@adikkeluangman, in Korea, Hi! School - Love On is aired on every Friday at 20.55 KST whereas Drama Special slot has always been aired on every Sunday at 23.55 KST.

As per @conankung's post above, KBS has stopped airing Drama Special after "Bomi's Room"  and will only resume broadcasting sometime in September 2014.  That's the reason why KBSW is now showing re-runs.

• 5 weeks later...

Stills from a new episode "The End of That Summer", airing this upcoming Sunday in Korea.

20140912000137_0_99_20140912144621.jpg
http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?mode=LS2D&mid=shm&sid1=106&sid2=225&oid=082&aid=0000467032

Kim So Hyun's drama special that was pushed back from the first half of the year will be the third episode, so the airing date is Sep 28.

Guest adikkeluangman

Child actress Jung In Seo took picture together with her script for drama Different Cry. So she will be together in drama with Kim So Hyun. 10352937_321006848053784_138051472418414

Here is the preview for 3 upcoming drama Special. Look like they put up as "The Story Of A Girl Special"- The End of Summer; 14 Sept- Three Girls Run Away from Home; 21 Sept- Different Cry; 28 Sept 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest adikkeluangman

Monster has been nominated in the 19th Asian Television Awards. The winners will be announced at the Awards gala ceremony at Asia's most spectacular destination – Marina Bay Sands, Singapore on 11 December, 2014.
BEST SINGLE DRAMA OR TELEMOVIE PROGRAMMEDrama Special: Monster
Korean Broadcasting SystemKBS 2TVKoreahttp://ata.onscreenasia.com/ata2014/nomination-list.asp
Maybe the director and KBS executive will attend it. But if the 2 main cast will go. It will be extra bonus. :D

Next Drama Special to be aired on November 23 @ 12.10am will be "Why I Drink" starring Kim Hyun-jun, Ahn Suk-hwan and Oh Young-sil. This is another one of those KBS favorite teen topics, an 18-year old student, Jun-ho with a character who suffers from an inner conflict.  I think is another one of those transfer students who has to settle in a public high school and it's about four men who frequented a drinking stall. 

201411191404486739_l.jpg

Source of NEWS

GOOD LUCK to "Monster" - it was an interesting piece.

Archived