Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

Real life sucks. I've lasted 6 months longer than expected. I just emailed my boss to ask him if I can retain my employment until at the end of this week because I have a dental appointment this Friday, so that I'd still be covered with my benefits program.

My office has laid off half the staff and there aren't really any new projects to sustain everyone. :bawling:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2016-04-13 at 5:29 PM, BishieAddict said:

Real life sucks. I've lasted 6 months longer than expected. I just emailed my boss to ask him if I can retain my employment until at the end of this week because I have a dental appointment this Friday, so that I'd still be covered with my benefits program.

My office has laid off half the staff and there aren't really any new projects to sustain everyone. :bawling:

I hope you find a more stable job.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I need a vacation... I'm so burnt out and tired of school and work.. I just want to focus on me, but I have strong organization commitment, which is why I'm offering to stick around at work before voluntarily quitting until we fully train my replacement. Plus, the money's good and the schedule is somewhat flexible.

Me 5 years ago: Living paycheck to paycheck, all the time in the world, wishing I had the money to travel

Me now: Work + grad, plenty of dinero saved up, wishing I had the time to travel.

Struggle is real when everyone jumps on flash deals for travel opportunities that I can't take :( 

On 2016-04-27 at 1:14 PM, Kurisu said:

Man, I need a vacation... I'm so burnt out and tired of school and work.. I just want to focus on me, but I have strong organization commitment, which is why I'm offering to stick around at work before voluntarily quitting until we fully train my replacement. Plus, the money's good and the schedule is somewhat flexible.

Me 5 years ago: Living paycheck to paycheck, all the time in the world, wishing I had the money to travel

Me now: Work + grad, plenty of dinero saved up, wishing I had the time to travel.

Struggle is real when everyone jumps on flash deals for travel opportunities that I can't take :( 

Why your employer cannot give you vacations ?

So, you are studying and working ? I can understand you are burnt out.

My friends who are traveling, they have employers that approve their vacation days in advance so they can plan a trip, or they don't mind them leaving for a month, there are part-time workers (like students) who can replace them.

For me, I submitted my vacation days back early this year and they did not approve it. So, now my friends are all traveling during the summer, but I can't. 

It's great that you have savings, so whenever you can, you'll have the money already. My friends are in debt after traveling, but they feel it is worth it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a general question to everyone :

1-Whenever you start a new job, how long is the training ?

A few hours for me, they thought me a specific software the company was using, and other tasks. In another position, the longest training I had was 5 days + exam in the end of the month.

2-How long did it take you to be good at it ?

This is something I am curious to hear. Because I have a short training, I constantly have questions. I think for me 1 month and a half.

3- When you apply to a job opening (different company), do you look online, or try to find someone (linkedin) to know how's the company working environment ? Would you still accept a job that anonymous people ranted online that they hated the work environment ?

I never did, but when my friends work in a new place, I ask them about their job and how's their coworker and boss. I know that my friends are honest. We don't work in the same field, but it is interesting to know. Linkedin was useless to me (never found a job or interview there). I mainly look online.

4- If you had a ex-gf or ex-bf, this person have the same career than you but work in a different company, you see that there's a job opening where he is working in the same department, would you apply and accept the job offer?

I don't think I can.

13 hours ago, MissAria said:

Why your employer cannot give you vacations ?

So, you are studying and working ? I can understand you are burnt out.

It's great that you have savings, so whenever you can, you'll have the money already. My friends are in debt after traveling, but they feel it is worth it.

Oh, I actually used all of my accrued vacation (1.5 weeks) YTD. I tend to use as much as I can whenever I get the chance, especially with the nature of my role, that requires me to interact with engineering and upper management. I've actually transitioned to part-time in order to finish up my graduate degree in the late afternoon. I'm just burnt out because of increasing deadlines, but fortunately we've found a suitable replacement as I voluntarily transition out of company and role in the next few weeks.

I think my problem is that I knew what it was like 5 years ago to struggle to find decent work, so I took whatever I could to get experience and never settled or got too comfortable, which meant that I always moving on to bigger and better opportunities. However, my organizational commitment to all my former and current employers meant that I never gave myself a break in-between jobs. I would literally put in my 2-weeks notice (timing was always bad due to deadlines or attrition) and they'd ask me to stay a little longer, and new employers would want me to start asap...

So really, I have about 1.5 weeks of a break in-between my current job and my next gig next month, but I really want to take the time to enjoy international travel, without having to rush everywhere and scheduling everything. I envy my friends who can take 3-4 weeks off to Asia or Europe, and just come back to work like no big deal. At this rate, I should probably just put the down payment for a condo... My wanderlust side prevents me from wanting to settle in one city permanently, so I'm choosing a career path that involves more business travel and less downtime after work to derp around at home...

8 hours ago, Kurisu said:

Oh, I actually used all of my accrued vacation (1.5 weeks) YTD. I tend to use as much as I can whenever I get the chance, especially with the nature of my role, that requires me to interact with engineering and upper management. I've actually transitioned to part-time in order to finish up my graduate degree in the late afternoon. I'm just burnt out because of increasing deadlines, but fortunately we've found a suitable replacement as I voluntarily transition out of company and role in the next few weeks.

I think my problem is that I knew what it was like 5 years ago to struggle to find decent work, so I took whatever I could to get experience and never settled or got too comfortable, which meant that I always moving on to bigger and better opportunities. However, my organizational commitment to all my former and current employers meant that I never gave myself a break in-between jobs. I would literally put in my 2-weeks notice (timing was always bad due to deadlines or attrition) and they'd ask me to stay a little longer, and new employers would want me to start asap...

So really, I have about 1.5 weeks of a break in-between my current job and my next gig next month, but I really want to take the time to enjoy international travel, without having to rush everywhere and scheduling everything. I envy my friends who can take 3-4 weeks off to Asia or Europe, and just come back to work like no big deal. At this rate, I should probably just put the down payment for a condo... My wanderlust side prevents me from wanting to settle in one city permanently, so I'm choosing a career path that involves more business travel and less downtime after work to derp around at home...

Yeah me too, I envy my friends that can have long vacations and can go travel... I will probably travel alone because it is hard to have one of my friends getting the same vacation days as me, and some of my friends already plan to travel with their boyfriend or family...

Maybe if you try to be more patient and that your next job can give you longer vacation days. It is not easy. I'm in the similar situation. Some days, I am so impatient, that I think should I just take one sabbatical year... It would also mean to quit job, and when my sabbatical year would be over, I would be back in the stress of finding a job.

Well, it looks like people are starting to believe my claims as someone else's claims because I'm apparently crazy for being able to assess situations in 1/1000th of the time it takes other people. Months ago, I stated that the company was starting to put pressure on us to increase productivity and reduce our work hours. People didn't believe me. Last month, I stated that there were less production days to put even more pressure on us and probably test if reducing our production days was a viable option. People thought I was being stupid or something. Some dense girl finally puts the pieces together and repeats what I said almost word for word and she gets people to agree with her.

Whatever. I'm already looking into other jobs. Hopefully, I'll be somewhere else when it all sinks into their thick skulls.

Oh yeah, and they're hiring more people to oversaturate production to reduce days and also correct bonus errors they made. Basically, the employees who want or need the lost days quit, removing their generous bonuses from payroll and leaving a higher turnover rate with employees who may get slightly smaller bonuses before eventually moving onto higher paying jobs elsewhere.

The new manager is an analytical type who probably went to business school. I'm sure he figured out that it's an alternative to mass layoffs. Mass layoffs would ruin the company's image if it went viral. They can't get in trouble for this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/05/2016 at 6:34 AM, MissAria said:

It looks like there is no interesting jobs with good work environment these days for the work. Maybe there are... They are rare...

I go to work and leave work unhappy.

I feel you :(. I always leave work with HUGE headache. I need a long vacation more than anything right now.

• 2 months later...

I am currently working in the food industry and tbh... I HATE IT. Im just really not the type of person who would kiss your richard simmons even if you're being an annoying/rude customer. Im trying to find a paid internship that is connected to my degree so I can gain experience on the industry that matters to me. 

Dream job would be to work at a gaming industry or advertising company. 

Hey kpop fans!

This is Victoria from the Los Angeles Korean Festival Foundation. I am trying to help spread the word about a volunteer opportunity for the Los Angeles area community in September!

This year's LA Korean Festival will take place from September 22nd-25th, 2016 (**Performers to be announced soon on LA Korean Festival instagram and Facebook so look out**) and we would love to have some volunteers to be a part of the festivities! Areas currently in need of volunteers are the Food Dining Court, Locker, Entrance/Security, Press Center, Info Booth, and Parking Lot (male preferred), though there are more areas. 

Here is a list of the areas available for volunteering along with a brief description of their responsibilities!
  • Locker  - helps visitors check in their belongings for storage 
  • Food Dining Court - make sure no alcohol is in this area; ensure area cleanliness
  • Entrance - Help security enforce food restrictions; pass out programs and flyers at main entrance
  • Press Center - check ID at entrance of Press Center; ensure everyone has a Press Pass to enter
  • Info Booth - answer basic questions; help disabled visitors arrange for a wheelchair checkout
  • Backstage - help set up stage for programs
  • Runners - assist Event Directors with quick errands in the festival
  • Parking Lot - preferably male: help guide people who have parked in each lot to the shuttle to the festival
  • Translators - Help expo booths and visitors with translation needs
  • Photo Zone - Ensure cleanliness of this area 

Interested volunteers must give us their preference in volunteer areas (list as many as they like!), email and the approximate days and times they would be available during the days of the festival, between 9 AM and 10 PM!

This is a wonderful opportunity for students to expand their volunteer experience, as well as learn about, interact with, and spread awareness for the Korean culture, all while helping out the Los Angeles community.

For further information please check out our website and our volunteer ad: 

Alternatively you can email me at victoria.lakff@gmail.com :)

If you have any further questions please let me know! Have a great day.

Can an employer fake your attendance records?

Someone close to me just got cited with a crazy count of tardies (we're talking > 100 !) that they're very sure never happened and that have never been brought up before. The company wants to fire and can't find a real reason...but how do you prove them wrong??

(Sorry if this doesn't quite belong here? :( )

On 2016-08-02 at 11:16 PM, xnhumi said:

Can an employer fake your attendance records?

Someone close to me just got cited with a crazy count of tardies (we're talking > 100 !) that they're very sure never happened and that have never been brought up before. The company wants to fire and can't find a real reason...but how do you prove them wrong??

(Sorry if this doesn't quite belong here? :( )

Punch-in clock records, CCTV, eyewitness statements, work logs (e.g. signed into computer or POS)

You gotta tell us more....what kind of work is performed? In what setting? How do you show up to work? How does the company keep track of your attendance (do you punch in yourself or does someone else record it)? How many supervisors are there (is the tampering of records the work of one person or multiple)? ...what is the company's definition of tardiness?

• 2 weeks later...

Recently started a new "job" through AmeriCorps. It's for a non-profit called Reading Partners. We started training on August 1 and after three weeks I feel like my brain has turned to mush. Not retaining any information. It's been five years since I've been a student. I think I've lost the ability to study and learn new things. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best advice to all: Use connections. 
Connect with people in different industries (People you or your parents are on good terms with, and or close to)
Get to know them, and maybe they can reccomend a job to you. 
For Career exploration, you need to think about it in depth. Throw terms and pics about what you are capable of, characteristics, talents, and find a way to use some or most of them. Take personality tests. Talk to people. Go to Career fairs, etc. And most of all, find some rare seconds or minutes to have to yourself. Good Luck. By the way, Linkedin is great. use it!

Archived