Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

I saw job postings for an art store D.Blick (according to my friend I knew more about art than another employee so I should try it) and a medical center so I checked out the positions. They're mostly manager positions. I'm more like the minion working under the manager sort of person.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest severus

Any one work/worked for these consulting firms: BCG, McKinsey, EY, IBM, PWC? 

Interview tips? Besides pretending I'm a bundle of sunshine. 

I don't think there is a large network enough here... Have you tried just googling ? http://www.caseinterview.com/mckinsey-final-round-tips

Hahaha oh yeah I've read so many of those and they're largely the same. I was just at a recruitment/ networking event with IBM and there's always so many smartasses who ask smartass questions just to stand out lol. Hopefully they appreciate genuine conversation and not "so I did my undergrad in neurophysiology and am doing my masters of medicine €#*#^%!~£{>".

Any one work/worked for these consulting firms: BCG, McKinsey, EY, IBM, PWC? 

Interview tips? Besides pretending I'm a bundle of sunshine. 

I don't think there is a large network enough here... Have you tried just googling ? http://www.caseinterview.com/mckinsey-final-round-tips

Hahaha oh yeah I've read so many of those and they're largely the same. I was just at a recruitment/ networking event with IBM and there's always so many smartasses who ask smartass questions just to stand out lol. Hopefully they appreciate genuine conversation and not "so I did my undergrad in neurophysiology and am doing my masters of medicine €#*#^%!~£{>".

Not sure if it helps, but every one I know that ended up working at IBM, EY and PWC, were all pretty (Im guessing looks matter), outgoing and social, and either smart or had some work experience under their belts.  Judging from that, I think these companies all have a 'type' they are after.

From what I can tell from your pics and comments, you seem to fit this company type.  So I wouldn't worry too much, just show them who you are.  I do think they like people just being themselves and not putting up a fake front and pretending they are interested something they are not.  As long as you come off as someone who is intelligent and social, you will be fine.

I got a call from a place I applied to. I have Sprint, so I found out after I connected to Wi-Fi. I called back and the same thing that always happens happened. I was told that it was busy and I would get a call back. The last time this happened, I ended up calling the place every week for two months and they still haven't told me what happened straight up.

Guest severus

Hahahahhahahahahhhahahasobsob I richard simmons up so bad at my interview with IBM's Consultant by Degree program. The networking sessions and recruitment dinners are great because I'm pretty good at charming but damn they gave me like 20 hours notice for this formal interview. 

Dafuq do I know about infrastructure? 

Still haven't gotten a call back from the place... I got a call from another place I applied to and the lady sounded surprised that I'm clean. I don't do drugs and I haven't been arrested or fined for anything ever and I thought that was common enough at one point. I don't think so now.

I'm gonna throw all my chemistry notes... 4 years of studying for a bachelor degree that served me for nothing. 

Do you feel what you studied is not useful for the job that you find ?

Who after graduating look again in their notes ? 

I'm gonna throw all my chemistry notes... 4 years of studying for a bachelor degree that served me for nothing. 

The only time I looked at my uni notes was when I took them out from the box from under my bed and tossed them into the recycling bin, 10 years after I graduated... which was 5 years ago....so yeh, I graduate from my undergrad...15 years ago XD

Guest severus

Am I the only one that chucks everything into the fireplace right after grades are out? It's a ritual that my brother and I have.

I've looked back at my notes a few times, but pretty sure they didn't have the answers I was seeking.

I don't think university would be useful until you're about 1/2-1 year into a professional job.

^i wouldnt say anything unless being asked. i assume they finished what they were required to do? if so there was nothing left to delegate to.

i guess in your part, you could have told them that they were done and are needed no more.

ah I didn't write properly. There was things to delegate i was just thinking which one to give. and what should i do because i can either review what they did or start another project by myself anyways im starting in a few hours i didnt sleep much

For those who are currently at an office job, do you see yourself as a well paid desk jockey for the rest of your life? what's your fall back?

I'm about only about 3-4years into my professional career and already losing a lot of motivation and feeling a lot of cbf.

Just want to stay home play games all day and/or travel.

I made it to both interviews and the first one was not an interview. It was a douchebag telling me how to live and telling me that I won't get a job. Smug piece of richard simmons just sat there at first not wanting to interview me at all. He told me to do all the talking and I talked a bit and I tried to get him to interact because he was completely unresponsive. I asked him if my availability was good and he just said yes. I told him a little about myself and he started acting like a total richard simmons. He told me to rephrase myself mutliple times even though I was doing well and he said some incorrect stuff which I built upon (like what would happen in a real interview) and I guess he took offense to that. By the end of it, he was telling me he was better than most people and he bullies his kids and I was never going to get a job. He wouldn't let me leave, so I suggested urgency (which was kind of a cheap trick) to get him to shut up and get up. I should have stormed off. I knew something was wrong at the beginning but I thought he would act professionally after I introduced myself. I should have stormed off. Piece of richard simmons.

I normally don't cuss like this, but he was a piece of richard simmons.

The second one I barely made in time and the manager who interviewed me was very nice and professional. I feel like she may have taken some offense to something I said involving people with our degrees. I hope she can see it for what it is. The second interview went fairly well, but coming straight from the first one may have really hurt me. The anger was causing some background noise.

Guest severus

There's an internal posting for an associate position in corporate banking in Singapore today, but obvs I'm not yet qualified. Fingers crossed for an analyst posting in Singa soon though, and preferably in investment banking instead. 

Archived