New Vietnamese Help Thread

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Ooh a viet thread. Im fluent in Viet (reading and writing) but just not with those old words that my parents like to use. Hahha hope someone know what im talking about. Not good with vietnamese history and whatnot, but i'll be around this thread often just to be involved, and learn some and help some. YAY !! hehehe

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tammy2012

ooh i have a feeling this thread will b really helpful!

i'm fully viet myself*i think* newho..i'm born in the US! viet was my first language. then english n now learning spanish!

n yea i feel bad sometimes cuz in english i know fluently. n spanish i'm getting there..i can read n write n such..

but it's different with vietnamese. i can read but not write...so yea i'm trying to pick it up.

so i'll b referring to this a lot!

like the comments that ppl left in viet...but w/out the signs(dont no wut it's called in english) i can read it! so that's a start!

n i learned something new today! i didnt no that we use to use the characters..n then later adapted into using the latin alphabet!

EDIT--------

ooh srry for rambling so much forgot to introduce myself! hehe

my name is tam nguyen<--that's wut i go by at school

but my mom says that originally my name was suppose to be minh-tam thi<-middle nguyen..so yea

n for those who are fluent with reading n writing...*i'm jealous* hehe

Guest BattleRoyale

i want to improve on my speaking and writing =| it's gotten a bit as ppl would say "cung". it also makes me feel bad and embarassed when we go to vietnam and i can barely even communicate to my relatives ):

just a question, when people say to you "tai sao may/con hien qua day?" or "may/con hien qua" which is like "why are you so kind" or "you're so kind" doesn't it make u feel insulted? they say it as an insult don't they? i don't even know if its hien or hieng - -'' lol

p.s im a PHAN! lol (:

ooh i have a feeling this thread will b really helpful!

i'm fully viet myself*i think* newho..i'm born in the US! viet was my first language. then english n now learning spanish!

n yea i feel bad sometimes cuz in english i know fluently. n spanish i'm getting there..i can read n write n such..

but it's different with vietnamese. i can read but not write...so yea i'm trying to pick it up.

so i'll b referring to this a lot!

like the comments that ppl left in viet...but w/out the signs(dont no wut it's called in english) i can read it! so that's a start!

n i learned something new today! i didnt no that we use to use the characters..n then later adapted into using the latin alphabet!

EDIT--------

ooh srry for rambling so much forgot to introduce myself! hehe

my name is tam nguyen<--that's wut i go by at school

but my mom says that originally my name was suppose to be minh-tam thi<-middle nguyen..so yea

n for those who are fluent with reading n writing...*i'm jealous* hehe

you're better than me, I can't read it without the accent signs, I could make out a couple of words on here and that's it.

I knew about Viet used to use Chinese characters because my dad knows Chinese characters. I always thought that it was the French who taught us the Roman alaphabet because of the French imperalism, and because the alphabet is prounced the French way (or used to anyway, but my parents and grandparents still prounced it the French way). I just recently learned that it was Portugese missionaries that taught us the Roman alphabet in 1700s but it didn't get popular until the last century.

i want to improve on my speaking and writing =| it's gotten a bit as ppl would say "cung". it also makes me feel bad and embarassed when we go to vietnam and i can barely even communicate to my relatives ):

just a question, when people say to you "tai sao may/con hien qua day?" or "may/con hien qua" which is like "why are you so kind" or "you're so kind" doesn't it make u feel insulted? they say it as an insult don't they? i don't even know if its hien or hieng - -'' lol

p.s im a PHAN! lol (:

They're complimenting you by saying you're nice.

May/tau does sound harsh to me. It's very informal. I was always taught that i shouldn't use that unless it's with friends my age that I have known for a long time. Everybody is either Anh, Chi, Di, Co, Ong, Ba, Em, Con, Chau, etc.

Guest forgottenmemories

p.s im a PHAN! lol (:

I hate it when people use the whole may/tao thing to address me. Especially people I don't know very well. Makes me feel stupid. Lol. But why do you feel insulted if they say "con hien qua"? It just means "You're so nice", right?

I'm a Ma! Lol. Probably the only Viet you will see with a 'Ma' last name. [:

Guest BattleRoyale

makes you feel stupid :lol: yeah i dont like it either it sounds too slang and informal to me =s

about the 'kind' thing, im trying to remember how my mum or something would say it to me. like, try saying the sentence but in the same tone as you would say "omg why are you so dumb?". like when my mum says it, it goes beyond just the meaning of "kind" and onto things like: you're always quiet, i shouldn't have to tell you to do something for you to do it, you're soo kind that you don't do anything. I DON'T KNOW how to explain it! is this making ANY sense? lol!

example, we were eating pho and my mum put a closed container on the table with chives and stuff, but my brother, sister and didn't put any in cause we don't like it and my cousin says "ua? tai sao may dua hien qua day? may dua khong an ha?" - i don't get it? well i didn't feel insulted, just more like huh? why would you say that?

Guest Onesweetypie

makes you feel stupid :lol: yeah i dont like it either it sounds too slang and informal to me =s

about the 'kind' thing, im trying to remember how my mum or something would say it to me. like, try saying the sentence but in the same tone as you would say "omg why are you so dumb?". like when my mum says it, it goes beyond just the meaning of "kind" and onto things like: you're always quiet, i shouldn't have to tell you to do something for you to do it, you're soo kind that you don't do anything. I DON'T KNOW how to explain it! is this making ANY sense? lol!

example, we were eating pho and my mum put a closed container on the table with chives and stuff, but my brother, sister and didn't put any in cause we don't like it and my cousin says "ua? tai sao may dua hien qua day? may dua khong an ha?" - i don't get it? well i didn't feel insulted, just more like huh? why would you say that?

haha its like she's surprised that u guys dont attack the food like how u guys always do.

Its like wow this is ur favorite food and ur not eating it?!! Im surprised!

Its nothing insulting =]

Rather, its a love/humor/sarcastic comment.

Guest LOVEangiie

AHHH yay a Vietnamese thread!

i'm gonna go on here once in awhile..

to maybe help or translate for people LOL

i'm not actually FULL viet because im half

i read, speak & write pretty well (:

probably coz i live with my mum's side and shes viet

Vietnamese was actually my first language & then english XD

i think what your cousin is saying is that you're "kind" for not like...reaching and fighting for the chives like maniacs. it's meant to be sarcastic + funny.

Guest mango-iee

@speedlimitER: Hehe. Ai noi Hoa se khong tra loi? :) Hoa dong y. Vay...anh giup Hoa viet tieng Viet. cho gioi. Va Hoa xe giup cho anh tieng anh. :) Ok? lol. Um...Hoa co the hoi anh mot cau hoi duoc khong? Anh...bao nhieu tuoi vay? Anh dung hieu lam. Anh co kieu Hoa ban be Hoa, va nua, Hoa cung dau co nho tuoi gi may dau...Hoa xin loi anh truoc. Sorry! :) Con mot cau hoi cuoi cung Hoa muon hoi anh truoc ki Hoa di hoc bai...:) Anh ten gi vay? Hoa khong muoc co kieu "anh" hoai. Hoa muon goi anh ban ten cua anh. Co duoc khong? Duoc roi. Hoa noi xong roi...Bye bye! Um...con nua. hehe..Hoa viet tieng viet. khong co gioi gi may...mong anh co the tha thu cho Hoa. Gap lai anh sao! Xin chao. :)

----------------------------------------

@LOVEangiiep: Hello! That is so cool! You can actually write, speak, and read in Vietnamese so well! I'm impress. Most Vietnamese who been out of Vietnam for over...maybe like 5 -7 years, they start to forget their birth language. My friends forgot her but she only been here in America...like 4 years. And wow!

Oh I need help with vietnamese! You need to teach me more! See ya! :)

--------------------------------------

luna81: Oh...then I'm mistaken. I'm not really good at Vietnamese industry and all of that, so I really need help getting my childhood memories back when I was in Vietnam. Do you mind?

Oh yeah, nice to meet you btw. Been talking to you for a while but never actually says hi to you before. :)

You sound like you dislike Nguyen Cao Ky Duyen right? I heard that she was one of the Vietnam presiden before....don't know if that is true or not. Probably just false rumors by reporters just want to get full load of moneys. :)

s k r i b b l e z `: Hellp Phan! I'm Ivy or goes by my Vietnamese name is Hoa. Nice to meet you. :) I don't always feel insult when my relatives said that to me. I actually feel like they are make believe like I'm good. You know...adults and adults likes to praise their children just to look good and not try to start off the wrong foot. :)

-------------------------------------

princess88: Don't feel bad. Hey you should be grateful that you are apart of Vietnamese people. And thats why you should consider yourself as lucky not being sad now...

But who care...I feel disappointed at first that "Tran" came in 2nd place while "Nguyen" has the 1st. :(

-------------------------------------

Don't know why I been replying to people comments. I guess....I'm way to free? lol. :)

Guest BattleRoyale

ok ok. i FINALLY figured out what my mum means when she says that to me in a negative tone. she says it as in "why are you so naive/innocent/inexperienced" lol i asked my brother and he he says there's a lot of meanings to it.

and thanks for the help everyone, i can finally understand what my cousin meant LOL gosh i feel so dumb - -''

forgottenmemories: yep that's the first i've known a vietnamese to have a Ma last name. are you full vietnamese or half chinese too?

Music_17: Hi Ivy! nice to meet you too (: i don't have a vietnamese name but my mum gave me the name thu`y trang out of the blue, not that anyone calls me that or its official. it can get annoying when they praise their children sometimes, especially what they say can be contradicting. or sometimes my mum praises me to other parents but she'll totally contradict herself -_______________-''

Guest mango-iee

@ s k r i b b l e z `: lol, hello to you too! :) Oh thuy trang! What a nice name your mom name you! My vietnamese is so plain...Hoa. Flower. :(

Are you also half Vietnamese and Chinese too? I am! lol. Strange huh? See that is exactly what I mean. Most parent don't always mean what they say, so thats pretty annyoing...

Guest justaddclouds

my last name is ha.

xD so its like less than .5%

oh boy

what does cung mean?

like i was talking to this guy and he was like

co gi khong cung?

i think its like sweety? O.O

Guest mango-iee

@ xo_aznxxtasy: Yeah, "cung" is also "sweety" in english. But mostly "cung" mean "baby." like: "Is there a problem, baby?". So "cung" is pretty much use when a guy is trying to pull a pick up line to us, girls. :)

Guest justaddclouds

@ xo_aznxxtasy: Yeah, "cung" is also "sweety" in english. But mostly "cung" mean "baby." like: "Is there a problem, baby?". So "cung" is pretty much use when a guy is trying to pull a pick up line to us, girls. :)

haha thankkks (:

oh boy.. he called me baby? LOLOLOL.

my parents sent me to viet school for 5 years =___=;

i dropped out HAHA. but i know the basics.

haha thankkks (:

oh boy.. he called me baby? LOLOLOL.

my parents sent me to viet school for 5 years =___=;

i dropped out HAHA. but i know the basics.

hehehe same thing here..

but i never payed attention..

regretting that tho.. xD

luna81: Oh...then I'm mistaken. I'm not really good at Vietnamese industry and all of that, so I really need help getting my childhood memories back when I was in Vietnam. Do you mind?

Oh yeah, nice to meet you btw. Been talking to you for a while but never actually says hi to you before. :)

You sound like you dislike Nguyen Cao Ky Duyen right? I heard that she was one of the Vietnam presiden before....don't know if that is true or not. Probably just false rumors by reporters just want to get full load of moneys. :)

Hi back! I heard her dad was the President or Prime Minister of something of South Vietnam before the North won and took control. He was rich so he was able to fly to the United States in '75 unlike most of the other people who came to the US by boat at that time. I watch Asia and PBN with my dad sometimes, I'm trying to learn Vietnamese over again. I went to dance school instead of Viet school, never watch any Vietnamese shows until recently, and my parents can understand English, so my Viet suck.

yay a vietnamese thread!

my uncle taught me the basics...but then he was sort of a bad teacher so me and my cousins stopped showing up for classes rofl...now im trying to read and write on my own >_> it's sort of hard but chatting with my cousins in vietnamese and talking to my friends in viet is improving my vietnamese!! ^__^

so for people who want to improve their viet, i guess you could try speaking more viet? it'll help alot! =)

as for last names...im a Diep........are there other viets with Diep as a last name ? =\

Guest justaddclouds

yay a vietnamese thread!

my uncle taught me the basics...but then he was sort of a bad teacher so me and my cousins stopped showing up for classes rofl...now im trying to read and write on my own >_> it's sort of hard but chatting with my cousins in vietnamese and talking to my friends in viet is improving my vietnamese!! ^__^

so for people who want to improve their viet, i guess you could try speaking more viet? it'll help alot! =)

as for last names...im a Diep........are there other viets with Diep as a last name ? =\

so true. if i talked to my parents more i bet i could speak soo much more fluently

but they dont understand what a social life is =___=;

the other day i learned that rin means to spy xD

hmm and i actually do know a Diep!

just one though....

Archived