New Vietnamese Help Thread

Guest DOVAHKIIN

lols, I heard this sounds awkward in Vietnamese, and culturally, things like this just aren't said. :D I guess I should have known since in Chinese, for example, this kind of thing sounds awkward too.

Can someone translate:

Therefore, I hope your day will be full of color and laughter too.

(^ I want to include this in a birthday message--and if it's too awkward-sounding once translated, could you give me a phrase that expresses the same kind of meaning but in a proper way instead? thank you so much! cảm ơn!)

Can you maybe add a little portion of the message that is written before that sentence? Because it wouldn't make sense when you translate it just like that. I can have an idea on how to do so if you give some more detail lol

I've managed to make it sound just normal and casual while it still has the same meaning: Và như vậy, mình mong rằng ngày này sẽ mang cho bạn nhiều niềm vui và tiếng cười.

Literally translated: And so, I hope this day will bring you much joy and laughter.

It's awkward saying 'full of color' in Vietnamese =X

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed some members were discussing about how to call your dad's sister and you're uncle's daughter in Vietnamese because for each side (dad's and mom's) you should address them differently. Which is very tiring lol but I was browsing wikipedia and found this so maybe it'd help some people:

Ông: grandfather, used as a term of respect for a man senior to the speaker and who is late middle age or older

: grandmother, used as a term of respect for a (usually married) woman senior to the speaker and who is late middle age or older

: parent's older sister, used to address a woman slightly older than one's parents or wife of father's older brother or wife of mother's older brother.

Bác: parent's older brother or sister, used to address a man/woman slightly older than one's parents or husband of father's older sister or husband of mother's older sister.

: father's sister, used to address a younger woman or a woman as old as one's father; also used to address a female teacher regardless of relative age

Cậu: mother's brother, used to address a younger man or a man as old as one's mother

: mother's sister, used to address a younger woman or a woman as old as one's mother; also used to address one's stepmother

Chú: father's younger brother, used to address a man slightly younger than one's father or husband of father's younger sister.

Thím: wife of father's younger brother.

Mợ: wife of mother's younger brother.

Dượng: husband of father's older sister; also used to address one's stepfather

Anh: older brother, for a slightly older man, or for the man in a romantic relationship. (S)

Chị: older sister, for a slightly older woman. (S)

Em: younger sibling, for a slightly younger person, or for the woman in a romantic relationship. (S)

Bố/Ba/Cha: father

Mẹ/Má/Mợ: mother

Con: child; also used in some regions to address a person as old as one's child

Cháu: nephew/niece, grandson/granddaughter; used to address a young person of around such relative age

Guest wingsywingsy

I've managed to make it sound just normal and casual while it still has the same meaning: Và như vậy, mình mong rằng ngày này sẽ mang cho bạn nhiều niềm vui và tiếng cười.

This was from a long time ago, but thank you all the same. ^^

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest catheezy

is there any sites were i can learn some basics?

i don't know how basic you want to get but here's a few sites

http://learnviet.blogspot.com/

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/vietnamese/vnlanguage/supportns/tableofcontent.htm

http://linguanaut.com/english_vietnamese.htm

good luck!

• 4 months later...
Guest carrotcake

This thread is a bit dead, so sorry if it annoys anyone if I revive it.

I have an interview for a bank tomorrow and I need a little brush up on my Vietnamese since it's at a location across from a HUGE Vietnamese community. They know I do speak some Vietnamese, so I just want to be prepared just in case they have me talk to someone to "evaluate" my Vietnamese?

How do you say:

- Check

- Policy

- Statement

- Fee

- Charge

- Account

- Savings

- Checking

- Loan

- Credit Card

In Vietnamese? I feel like a lot of them should sound like English except with a Vietnamese accent because I've heard my parents say it like that, but it might not be correct? Also, if you guys have any other words I might need to know in Vietnamese to work at a bank, it would be greatly appreciated :)

• 1 year later...
Guest lovevirus.

This thread is a bit dead, so sorry if it annoys anyone if I revive it.

I have an interview for a bank tomorrow and I need a little brush up on my Vietnamese since it's at a location across from a HUGE Vietnamese community. They know I do speak some Vietnamese, so I just want to be prepared just in case they have me talk to someone to "evaluate" my Vietnamese?

How do you say:

- Check

- Policy

- Statement

- Fee

- Charge

- Account

- Savings

- Checking

- Loan

- Credit Card

In Vietnamese? I feel like a lot of them should sound like English except with a Vietnamese accent because I've heard my parents say it like that, but it might not be correct? Also, if you guys have any other words I might need to know in Vietnamese to work at a bank, it would be greatly appreciated :)

I know this is wayy to late but I'm just gonna reply anyway. In case you still want to know XD

- Check - hoá đơn, giấy ghi tiền

- Policy - hợp đồng, khế ước

- Statement - sự trình bày, sự phát biểu

- Fee - (tiền) lệ phí

- Charge - tính giá, nạp tiền

- Account - tài khoản

- Savings - quỹ tiết kiệm

- Checking - idk XD

- Loan - (tiền) cho vay/ mượn

- Credit Card - thẻ tính dụng

Woa these are pretty big words. I'm impress with myself X3 hahah jk

• 2 months later...
Guest LiLLe

^ usually foreigners pronounce it new-yen but its actually pronounced nuhween(?) lol hard to explain this sound, but you say it in one syllable

Archived