New Vietnamese Help Thread

Guest DOVAHKIIN

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest T0fu^.^

oh woww...there's a Viet community on Soompi...o_0...may I join? I'm super duper fluent in Viet so maybe I can help out those of you that struggle, =]

^ haha wish i was fluent in viet but, i'm not! haha :sweatingbullets:

Been learning Viet in 9 years and are as god as a 2:nd grader in viet schools!!! XD

Oh gosh i need to take it more seriously........

Guest meilove

lol i can read but i can't spell in vietnamese. i can on the simple stuff...

lol but reading it means u can sound out words & kno how they work & stuff. just apply it when writing!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trangx

what does cam chau means? its my first name, ive always wondered what it meant... lol, i asked my parents the other day and i still couldnt understand ><

is it 'Cẩm Châu'?

doesn't that mean 'Pearl'?

correct me if i'm wrong

Guest redmoon123

^ Yupp, Chau mean "pearl" and Cam..Hmm, nothing comes to my mind for it when it stands alone like that.

Guest DOVAHKIIN

ahhh bump!!!!!!~~~~~~

psst you can stop bumping this topic now, i included it in the pinned language index

Guest RNGUYEN

ohmy, my vietnamese is horrendous. :crazy:

i should really work on it. -__-" i wanted to go

to viet school, but i hear it doesn't do much :P

aiyee, i'm so bad at understanding people who

are buck or hue. i grew up around a lot of nam

people so yeah. :( i feel bad. anyone else have

that problem?

Guest meilove

^^ i do sometimes

hue i can understand but if their accent is VERY strong then maybe not

i'm used to the saigon accent =) that's the one i have

Guest thislove

wow just found this thread. Mind if I join? I'm able to speak Viet but like most ppl who was born and raise in the U.S or elsewhere beside Vietnam can't really read or write. When the Viet school for six yrs but it didn't help much cuz it was only once a week and I never took it seriously. My fault <_<

^ is the Saigon accent the Nam one? I'm used to Nam but can listen to Bac and Hue but when its a really strong accent it sounds really foreign to me :wacko:

Guest teeniebliss

Hello Viet soompiers!!

My last name is Ledo.

I don't think anyone would ever guessed that i am vietnamese.

And aside from my brother, I am probably the only girl that goes with that last name. haha theres club Lido though. ahaha

You might wonder how i got my last name.. it's actually my dad's last name LE and my mom's last name DO combine together. bomb diggity yeah? hehe

haha...i actually wanted to have a combo of my parents last names too. It's Pham and Le so together it would be PhamLe family!!! get it?? okie I'm just being a dork. but I got laughs when I presented it in my Viet idenity class :D

!!!QUESTION!!! I've skimmed thru the last couple of pgs n didn't see this yet so I'll ask: What's the most common or proper way of addressing yourself to another? I know it depends on your age too but I get really confused with this.

For instance, I had a lady who could be my mother call my 'em.' I would thought of using 'con' or the word u use for grandkid (although it may say that I think ur old). Also, is using toi or thao (is that how u spell it??) in certain convo rude?

Sorry if this is confusing, its easier for me to say it then write it out...

Many people speak in third person when referring to themselves now: "[Name] thich di an dim sum" or whatever.

Em - is used to refer to to people who are younger than you, or used to refer to girls. (basically, younger people/younger girls)

Chi - is older sister (not literally), but someone who's older than you by a couple years who's female.

Anh - is older brother (not literally), but someone who's older than you by a couple of years who's male.

Con - usually used by kids when they are speaking to parents or adults older than your parents.

Co - kind of like aunt, used to refer to someone who's younger than your mother.

Ba - same as above, only someone who's older than your mother

Cau - male version of Co

Ong - male version of Ba

Toi / Tao / May - i don't think it's necessary rude, it's just not polite. It's something you would use when you're talking to your friends or someone as opposed to someone older. It's not used that often though.

This is what I'm used to, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :sweatingbullets:

Guest luna81

I use Em to refer to myself when the person who I'm talking to refer to themselves as Anh or Chi. My dad told me "Nang" is another term used for ladies. I never really heard it used in real life but its mentioned a lot in songs. My dad says that guys usually use this to refer to girls who they're not close enough with to call them "em." The girls refer to themselves as "em" but they guy can't do that until they're familiar with the girl. They have to use either Nang or Co (this one have three meaning. If it's used by a nieces/nephews it mean aunt, used by students it mean teacher, and used by strangers it mean lady).

i dont need language help this time but can anyone tell me how to make good pho? ive tried 3x already but i just cant get it as good as restaurants. mine just tastes so bland. the only help i got in the food section was to add a buncha msg :(

Archived