New Vietnamese Help Thread

Guest DOVAHKIIN

i am a nguyen~

there was a king called King Nguyen

he made everybody change his last name to nguyen

when he died/stop being king or something

some people changed their last name, some didnt ^^

>< that's not it at all. Who told you that story? Nguyen derives from the Chinese character (阮 ruan). The Nguyen dynasty was the last dynasty in VN, and there were already plenty of Nguyens around before that.

As for why Nguyens are the most populated, one of the reason is that during the first Tran king's reign, they made all the Ly's (the previous dynasty) change their last name to Nguyen as to get rid of possible upheavals from the old regime.

hey quick question here. is Thao a strictly vietnamese first name? if someone's name is Thao Phan, are they pretty much for sure vietnamese?

Phan is derived from the Chinese character (潘 pan) and Thao is derived from (草 cao). With that said, if it is written as Thao Phan, it's a Vietnamese name, because it's written the Vietnamese way lolz. Thao is strictly a Vietnamese name even though it's also derived from Chinese. This is because Thao means grass in Chinese and no sane person would name their kid that. In Vietnamese though, it has a second meaning of filial obedience. Haha, but I'm sure you didn't ask to know all that.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how long did it take for you guys to learn to read and write?

i can already speak so yeah i wana know =D but i never went to viet school...

well i went to viet school ever since i was about 5 and i stopped about 5 years ago so..

(crazy mental math in my head) so approximately 5 years of schooling.

and im pretty decent in reading and writing if i do say so myself.

but when told to talk in normal conversation? kinda rusty.

they didnt teach you that in viet school.

it just takes me ahwile to think of thw right word is all and its just a really awkward slience...

im ashameddd.. D:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stoopidity

PRINCESS88

i took about a year.

but you know, everyone's learning

pace is different.

------------------------------------

hi people! i'm a nguyễn, too!

chào các bạn. em tên là Nguyễn Tịnh Tâm.

translation:: hello, friends! my name

is nguyen tinh tam.

------------------------------------

ehh, i can speak viet. but i'm not that great.

i don't speak with my parents in vietnamese, but

i speak with my brother in vietnamese bcuz he

won't make fun of me xP LOL

i started going to a vietnamese school every

saturday since i was five. it's fun^_^ but homework

is BLEHH x_X lol.

you know what? it's funny how hello and goodbye

in vietnamese is the same. kinda like korean x_X

ViETPRiDE<3

--lilsmilingstars--

Guest DOVAHKIIN

This is so cool! I've always been wondering when they'll make a Vietnamese help thread. Can't they pin this up?

It's been discussed with Aziraphale and there simply isn't a high demand for Vietnamese translations as there is for Korean, Japanese and Chinese for it to be pinned.

Guest justxlouise

Haha so many Viet names come from Chinese characters whatever.

My surname is Lam (it's in Viet right?) but I'm Chinese

But in Chinese, my surname is Lin o_O"

I can talk basic Vietnamese with my parents. I can read, but I need the accent signs without it I can't. I don't understand what I'm reading most of the time though because my Vietnamese is very limited. I'm too Americanized.

woahhh.. I didn't know there was one Viet Help Thread!!! Cool, I'll have to check this more often!!!!

btw, i'm also Viet obviously :D ... my name is Vivian Phạm, and the Viet name is Nguyên [not Nguyễn] Phạm... I extremely dislike it when Viet ppl call me Nguyễn in the pass <_<

but yeah, i'm currently enrolled in Advance Viet class in university... so hopefully I can help you guys with anything in Viet...

but please, I appreciate it more if you'd like to know about the language, not just the cuss words/phrases :)

Guest NEYUGN93

Haha so many Viet names come from Chinese characters whatever.

My surname is Lam (it's in Viet right?) but I'm Chinese

But in Chinese, my surname is Lin o_O"

lol yup yup Lam is a viet last name =]

i totally forgot about this since i had exams for a few week ><" but im glad this thread is active...? hehe

Man i know pretty much nothing *sigh* i didnt go viet school cos i didnt have time but i wanna go xD i dont know much but i can make out what most of you guys are saying... hehe

Guest Onesweetypie

^ o wow. really?! I didnt kno that! i guess im a Chen then XD

I was born in VN =D! came here like 5 years ago =]

I went to viet school for 6 years loll

Guest Sungminnnie

Thankx for the guide!I could use some help from it.It like bak in the old days where I'm learning Vietnamese now,in Vietnam. =D

Nguyen is a popular last name in Vietnam.It stand 1st place! The following last name goes by percent. ----->>

Nguyễn 阮 (38.4%)

Trần 陳 (11%)

Lê 黎 (9.5%)

Huỳnh/Hoàng 黃 (5.1%)

Phạm 范 (5%)

Phan 潘 (4.5%)

Vũ/Võ 武 (3.9%)

Đặng 鄧(2.1%)

Bùi 裴 (2%)

Đỗ 杜 (1.4%)

Hồ 胡 (1.3%)

Ngô 吳 (1.3%)

Dương 楊 (1%)

Lý 李 (0.5%

Yay for the Trans!

^______^

I don't think I've ever met anyone with the last name 'Ngo.'

Maybe, I just can't think of it.

@_@

Guest myanh_tran

hahahha how funn!!

"hi! ten cua toi la Tran My Anh, rat han hanh tham gia soompi

toi la nguoi vietnam, mot co gai vietnam "

hi! my name is My Anh Tran, nice to join in soompi

i'm vietnamese, a vietnamese girl

hehehe so funn, it's like a online vietnamese class

woah, that's cool!

I never really cared about my vietnamese until summer 07 xD

my relatives always assure me my VN has improved but still...every now and then they talk to me i'm just like *nod nod*

I'm just too germanized...ew...creepy :blink:

haha...in my family there's this one little cute girl, adorable! And I asked her mom about the girl's age and I always got her name o.O

talking about improved vietnamese...haha

^ lol! hahaha

i just learned how to write a new word for me and it's Dao mieng.

i suck at writing, little reading and talking. basicly everything!

but i understand anyways......

hates viet classes! >.<

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone notice how most of Viet phrases are idioms or metaphors it's so hard to understand. There's also so many different words that mean the same thing. One word is use for conversation and the other for the written language. Like the word Dad for instance, I always call my dad "ba" but I recently learned that it's "bố" in the written language.

My favorite Viet phrase is Vo Duyen, it's so versatile. You can use to describe someone who's nosy or inarticulate, or about someone who talk too much. My mom says it a lot whenever she hears Nguyen Cao Ky Duyen, it's really ironic since her name is Duyen.

Guest mango-iee

@myanh_tran: "Xin Chao My Anh! Ivy ruc han hanh duoc quen biet ban va ruc vui My Anh co the vao Soompi!! Ai ai o day cung hien het. My Anh dung so. lol. Ten cua minh la Hoa (Ten tieng Viet) hay la Ivy Tran (Ivy la ten tieng my cua minh. :)) Xin Chao! :)" <--- Wow, it been so many years since I started writing in Vietnamese again. Hope my Vietnamese didn't disappear! x_x

I don't know how to write in Vietnamese with the sign, so please bare with me. :)

-----------------------------------------

Onesweetypie: Yup. Your a chen too, if your last name in Vietnamese is Tran. Isn't it alwsome? lol. :) Oh wow. That is so cool! I want to stay in Vietnam for a couple of years before I go. To be honest I stayed here for over 10 years n' my Vietnamese isn't that so good either. :)

luna81: I like your questions. I always wonder why but here is the tricky part. You know Vietnamese people has like about...3 differen't accent in Vietnamese language? Like "Hue", "Bac (Hopes that how you spell it." and "Formal Vietnamese." "Bố" fall in the "Bac" and "Hue" catagory. And for "ba" is regular Vietnamese. In South Vietnam people usually talk in "Bac" accent of Vietnamese. And for North is in Hanoi, Vietnam citizens in Hanoi talk in "Tieng Hue". For Saigon, Vietnam (Where I was born.) We talk in Formal Vietnamese and the other two language. But pretty much now days, all three Vietnamese language is use across Vietnam. :) If I'm not mistaken Nguyen Cao Ky Duyen is the MC for Paris By Night? Or am did I mistake her for someone else? Well, Vo Duyen is also use to describe people who talks nonsense. Vo Duyen has tons of definition but it means one thing. :)

i can already speak so yeah i wana know =D but i never went to viet school...: Way back when I was still in Vietnam. I went to pre-school and Kindergarden than I came to America to start a new life. At that time I didn't learn much. All I ever learn was simple "ABC" which is like regular American alaphabet but with the sign on top and it sound really different. But it still "ABC."

I been here (America, New York City, Brooklyn) for over 10 years (11 years) and in my free time my parent use to give me Vietnamese homework. Like how to write this word and that.

And times go by and you could say I'm still a little low in writing Vietnamese. Still. Strange huh? lol. :)

sillyvivian_yo89: Hello Vivan! I'm not going to write in Vietnamese anymore because it killing my brain!!! lol.

Oh thats cool. I'm a home schooler when I'm learning Vietnamese. Your so lucky you can learn it at school! My parent teach me. I ask them if they can get my a private tutor instead but they insist me on listening to them. Since they're my parent I think...why not? Anyway, Vietnamese last name has a lot of similarties. I don't know one but your last name is an example. :)

lol. In the pass people use to call me "Tr~an" instead of "Tr'an." I don't know where they get the idea of my last name becoming "Tr~an" this instead of "Tr~an". It's just...crazy!! :crazy:

----------------------------------------

Phew. Finally I answer soompiers comment. :) I like Vietnam. It cool! And so is us Vietnamese!! <333

Guest speedlimitER

@myanh_tran: "Xin Chao My Anh! Ivy ruc han hanh duoc quen biet ban va ruc vui My Anh co the vao Soompi!! Ai ai o day cung hien het. My Anh dung so. lol. Ten cua minh la Hoa (Ten tieng Viet) hay la Ivy Tran (Ivy la ten tieng my cua minh. :)) Xin Chao! :)" <--- Wow, it been so many years since I started writing in Vietnamese again. Hope my Vietnamese didn't disappear! x_x

I don't know how to write in Vietnamese with the sign, so please bare with me. :)

Onesweetypie: Yup. Your a chen too, if your last name in Vietnamese is Tran. Isn't it alwsome? lol. :) Oh wow. That is so cool! I want to stay in Vietnam for a couple of years before I go. To be honest I stayed here for over 10 years n' my Vietnamese isn't that so good either. :)

luna81: I like your questions. I always wonder why but here is the tricky part. You know Vietnamese people has like about...3 differen't accent in Vietnamese language? Like "Hue", "Bac (Hopes that how you spell it." and "Formal Vietnamese." "Bố" fall in the "Bac" and "Hue" catagory. And for "ba" is regular Vietnamese. In South Vietnam people usually talk in "Bac" accent of Vietnamese. And for North is in Hanoi, Vietnam citizens in Hanoi talk in "Tieng Hue". For Saigon, Vietnam (Where I was born.) We talk in Formal Vietnamese and the other two language. But pretty much now days, all three Vietnamese language is use across Vietnam. :) If I'm not mistaken Nguyen Cao Ky Duyen is the MC for Paris By Night? Or am did I mistake her for someone else? Well, Vo Duyen is also use to describe people who talks nonsense. Vo Duyen has tons of definition but it means one thing. :)

i can already speak so yeah i wana know =D but i never went to viet school...: Way back when I was still in Vietnam. I went to pre-school and Kindergarden than I came to America to start a new life. At that time I didn't learn much. All I ever learn was simple "ABC" which is like regular American alaphabet but with the sign on top and it sound really different. But it still "ABC."

I been here (America, New York City, Brooklyn) for over 10 years (11 years) and in my free time my parent use to give me Vietnamese homework. Like how to write this word and that.

And times go by and you could say I'm still a little low in writing Vietnamese. Still. Strange huh? lol. :)

sillyvivian_yo89: Hello Vivan! I'm not going to write in Vietnamese anymore because it killing my brain!!! lol.

Oh thats cool. I'm a home schooler when I'm learning Vietnamese. Your so lucky you can learn it at school! My parent teach me. I ask them if they can get my a private tutor instead but they insist me on listening to them. Since they're my parent I think...why not? Anyway, Vietnamese last name has a lot of similarties. I don't know one but your last name is an example. :)

lol. In the pass people use to call me "Tr~an" instead of "Tr'an." I don't know where they get the idea of my last name becoming "Tr~an" this instead of "Tr~an". It's just...crazy!! :crazy:

----------------------------------------

Phew. Finally I answer soompiers comment. :) I like Vietnam. It cool! And so is us Vietnamese!! <333

chao be Hoa,

neu be Hoa muon hoc danh chu co dau, thi anh co the giup be, roi be phai giup anh hoc tieng Anh

khong tra loi co nghia la dong y roi nha

chao be

Nguyen Cao Ky Duyen is a MC for Paris By Night. There are thousands of different accents in Vietnam, but it's group into three categories Bac, Trung, and Nam (North, Middle, South). I think formal Vietnamese is not about accents, it's the actual "word" chosen to speak or write in. Like saying, "Ya" in front of every phrase when you're talking to a grown up, or the words or phrases used in literature.

Archived