New Vietnamese Help Thread

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Guest Katxdbsk

^Should be cay, thuong, and qua.

no, its cai ( the original person was right), thuong (you were right) and the last one u can type it whatever way u want. "qua" is a correct way but nowaday most teen use "wa" ^^

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bite me

Why thank you Thanh!True,none of my viet. friends has the last name Tran.It always Nguyen and Nguyen.It crazy I know.Haha,minh ten la ManhWa,nhung ma moi nguoi thich kieu minh la Ivy hon. =DNice to meet u and talking to u to Thanh!Oh,I'm sorry! I'm so clumsy...U welcome! =D

hello ivy, sorry minh reply tre, hhee nice to talk to you too, i love to know more vietnamese people too! one of my friend last name tran too! cool, so how long u been in U.S..?

Guest bunkicake

nice viet pride peoples! :P

I'm a nguyen too any others? XD

By the way how are we named nguyen again?

I heard it's because we all were inspired by an emperor and named our surname after his? Is this true or no? :o

Hm I'm ok with my viet but I sound like an eng. fob talking I'ms erious and I don't understand like those poetic/long words they jsut don't make sense.

By the way my viet name is dan ( sounds like daang) thuy

what does that mean

• 4 weeks later...
Guest iloveren

this is sort of embarrassing to ask..

how do you correctly pronounce Nguyen? X( it's my last name and i just pronounce it like nwin. i'm too americanized sigh. i could totally ask my mom and dad but i'd just die of embarrassment if they tell me something like.. "YOU DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE YOUR LAST NAME?! ARE YOU AN IDIOT?" type answer. oh emm gee...

Guest NikiChow2

Hi Guys! ^_^ I'm A newbie. (I'm sorry, But me enqlish is so poor. I'll try my best)

My name is Thi Hoa Nguyen (Heheh So many Nguyen) and I live in Denmark (Since I was 3 years old)

This is a really qreat Thread with so many Viet soompiers [Hihi]

Though Vietnamese is my mother tonque, I can't even not write in Viet. Only some sentences or words [Lol] I do speak Viet everyday with my mum, and really want to learn to write.

Guest sarang_oppa_bi

anyone who wanna learn or chat with me in vietnamse ... i ' willing to teach you guys ...ekekeke.

sorry but i used yahoo : alo_cocolee@yahoo.com

willing answer any question cause i belive im quite know abou vietnamese !!!!! any time any where .....

"The gian nay khong tieu nguoi de yeu. Sao nguoi khong den trong co don truoc kia ? "

^ o_o please and thank you

I know the first part says "In this lifetime there is not a shortage of people to love. How come you won't come when I'm lonely?"

[and I think it's "thieu" not "tieu"]

Guest trangtwo

I hope I typed this right (I'm going off someone's handwriting and I've never really typed in Vietnamese before--took me a while to find everything!)...

Anyway, I wanted to check something because a friend told me that I should say this to some Viet guy I'm supposed to meet for the first time in a couple of days and he wrote it down for me, but I don't trust him at all because he's totally the type to tell me something totally wrong just for his amusement. I don't recognize it as any greeting I've ever heard, either.

So what the hell did he tell me to say?

Em muốn bú cặc của anh.

lmao your friend is mean. omg it would be soo embarrassing if you said that.

and as for the word "loser," my sister told me you can say phe thai/tai (i forgot which one it was)..im not sure though. but yea i should learn how to read and write in viet. gahh i get a headache from trying. all the different pronunciations of ONE vowel! and i cant even understand what vietnamese songs mean. they're all poetic and fancy lol.

iloveren - its hard to explain, but nwin is definitely not correct. it starts off with a "w" sound. and ends with a "ng" sound. hmm, its hard to explain the vowel part. umm, i guess the closest sound would be how you say "ant" or "mirror" (both sound the same) in viet (i dont know how to spell it) different stresses though ...ahh hope that makes sense. i tried lol

"The gian nay khong tieu nguoi de yeu. Sao nguoi khong den trong co don truoc kia ? "

^ o_o please and thank you

"This world is not short of people to love. But why didn't the person come in times of loneliness in the past."

that sounds so deep... :mellow:

haha this thread is fun. i can understand!

i can read, write, and understand vietnamese well

but when i speak in plain conversation its bad.

nếu có ai có câu hỏi gì thì cứ việc hỏi!

dont know if i spelled "gì" right...

oh yeah and i always get the "d" and "g" sounds mixed up when i write cause people dont say it correctly and the "ch" and "tr" and "s" and "x"

so i pretty much gét my cô and thầy giáo when we did chính tả

hha that was fun.

trangx- you spelled gi` correctly ;)

In viet school, I had so much trouble with writing because of those dang etters too. lol. But I'm really thankful that I had the opportunity to attend viet school because my knowledge of the Vietnamese language would have probably died. T_T

Guest psquare6806

there's software for typing in vietnamese called VPS Keys. Basically you type the letters, then press a number (or those F1, F2, F3, etc.) buttons, then it adds the sign (i.e. dau sach, dau huyen, dau hoi) the downside is that the software is IN vietnamese, but i found it easy to understand, seeing as I can only speak intermediate vietnamese. :D

http://www.vps.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=69

Guest ima_robot

"This world is not short of people to love. But why didn't the person come in times of loneliness in the past."

that sounds so deep... :mellow:

LOL I KNOW! O_______O

i'll come back with another one laters ;D

I heard it's because we all were inspired by an emperor and named our surname after his? Is this true or no? :o

Hm I'm ok with my viet but I sound like an eng. fob talking I'ms erious and I don't understand like those poetic/long words they jsut don't make sense.

what does that mean

i am a nguyen~

there was a king called King Nguyen

he made everybody change his last name to nguyen

when he died/stop being king or something

some people changed their last name, some didnt ^^

Guest NEYUGN93

what does that mean

HELLOS haha I'm a Nguyen... xD hmmmm... really we were inspired by an emperor? COOL! xD i thought it was just a very common last name

My viet is CRAP! i used to be really good and i can fluently speak it but when i started school and spoke english i forgot alot of it... so here i am to re-learn =]

i am a nguyen~

there was a king called King Nguyen

he made everybody change his last name to nguyen

when he died/stop being king or something

some people changed their last name, some didnt ^^

really...? lol he made us... well no wonder there alot of Nguyen peoples in the world! xD

• 3 weeks later...

hey quick question here. is Thao a strictly vietnamese first name? if someone's name is Thao Phan, are they pretty much for sure vietnamese?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Thao is strictly a Vietnamese first name. Phan is a Vietnamese surname. However they could be a Chinese borned in Vietnam or something.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Next post explained it better than I did. (:

Archived