New Vietnamese Help Thread

Guest DOVAHKIIN

i dont really know how to spell the second word but you pronounce it as

usually people say thang mac "yit"

which like tramy says means an ill-mannered person

i think it's "thằng mắc dịt" if i'm not wrong and yes it means 'ill-mannered person' or 'jerk' (:

and heartache i guess can be "trái tim tan vỡ" but i think it's kind of dramatic? meaning 'broken/shattered heart'

chhyeahhh, i own trang mười!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DarknessFalls

if you dont love me then thats fine...?

uhm, i think it means "ur gonna lose under all circumstances"

simply: go eat dog poop you mother ____.

i dont really know how to spell the second word but you pronounce it as

usually people say thang mac "yit"

which like tramy says means an ill-mannered person

is that the word like "Mat De" or something, a lot of people say it's a cuss word. I know a few people who says their family use it because they were part of the low-class of Vietnam. So I guess some people take it really seriously and offensive if used.

Anybody here found that most of the people in their family have the same middle name. My mom told me that since there are so many Les, Nguyens, etc different clans differentiate themselves with their middle name. They don't really do this anymore but my mom side of the family still does. All my uncles children have a middle name of Kach (I think that's how you spell it), my grandpa had it. I don't know why my mom doesn't though.

My mom says that when people from the village come to the city and they find someone that have the same last and middle name as them, they will automatically treat you like family even though they only share a common ancestor 14 generations before. She told me a story about this man and woman who married in the city, got nine kids, went back to the village to live and found out they were related ten generations before, and they got teased and taunted because of it, it got so bad they had to move back to the city. They don't really care if the man's family is related to the woman's mom's family though, but since her dad's family is related to his family, it's a big no-no.

There are so many Viet at my Uni, it's really hard to adjust. They kind of look down on me because my Viet sucks, plus most people think I have an American accent when I speak Vietnamese because they can't understand me, I don't have an American accent, I have a very strong Hue accent. People always teased about Hue accents but I don't know why. We pronounce words as they're written.

Anybody here found that most of the people in their family have the same middle name. My mom told me that since there are so many Les, Nguyens, etc different clans differentiate themselves with their middle name. They don't really do this anymore but my mom side of the family still does. All my uncles children have a middle name of Kach (I think that's how you spell it), my grandpa had it. I don't know why my mom doesn't though.

My mom says that when people from the village come to the city and they find someone that have the same last and middle name as them, they will automatically treat you like family even though they only share a common ancestor 14 generations before. She told me a story about this man and woman who married in the city, got nine kids, went back to the village to live and found out they were related ten generations before, and they got teased and taunted because of it, it got so bad they had to move back to the city. They don't really care if the man's family is related to the woman's mom's family though, but since her dad's family is related to his family, it's a big no-no.

There are so many Viet at my Uni, it's really hard to adjust. They kind of look down on me because my Viet sucks, plus most people think I have an American accent when I speak Vietnamese because they can't understand me, I don't have an American accent, I have a very strong Hue accent. People always teased about Hue accents but I don't know why. We pronounce words as they're written.

Heheh.. Hue accent is cute :ph34r: on girls.

But anyway, the rule is usually applied only to North and Central Vietnam.

Guest chrisMCNASTY

YAY FINALLY I'VE FOUND IT.

okay so let me start with a little introduction so you guys can like.. symphatize about me lol eh..

i suck at vietnamese. literally, i suck. i speak to my parents in fluent english while they talk to me in vietnamese, and for SOME reason, i understand what the hell they are saying.

so TET is coming up, and every year at my temple, we have to write a paragraph/essay about tet and take it out from our richard simmons, and.. i wrote it in english but i can't translate it into vietnamese. i translated like (more like used an online translator for each and every word including "THE" and "AND".....) .. half so far, which really isn't much, but i was wondering if you guys can help me?

"Whenever I think about Tet, I think about the happy faces of children and adults because after all, that is what Tet is all about, isn’t it? The most important essence in Tet are the smiles of the Vietnamese people. While Tet is full of money, li xi, and food, it is a very important holiday for people to spend time with one another and to have fun and the best part about it is that you can be either young or old! It doesn’t matter! Anyone can celebrate it. Whether you are Christian, Catholic, or even Muslim, Tet is a universal holiday and can be celebrated by everyone and anyone."

Guest meilove

okay so let me start with a little introduction so you guys can like.. symphatize about me lol eh..

i suck at vietnamese. literally, i suck. i speak to my parents in fluent english while they talk to me in vietnamese, and for SOME reason, i understand what the hell they are saying.

so TET is coming up, and every year at my temple, we have to write a paragraph/essay about tet and take it out from our richard simmons, and.. i wrote it in english but i can't translate it into vietnamese. i translated like (more like used an online translator for each and every word including "THE" and "AND".....) .. half so far, which really isn't much, but i was wondering if you guys can help me?

"Whenever I think about Tet, I think about the happy faces of children and adults because after all, that is what Tet is all about, isn’t it? The most important essence in Tet are the smiles of the Vietnamese people. While Tet is full of money, li xi, and food, it is a very important holiday for people to spend time with one another and to have fun and the best part about it is that you can be either young or old! It doesn’t matter! Anyone can celebrate it. Whether you are Christian, Catholic, or even Muslim, Tet is a universal holiday and can be celebrated by everyone and anyone."

wellllll when you want it translated into vietnamese, are you referring to yourself as TOI or CON

íll give it a try but ím not guarantêing anything. (: might want to have someone proofread it or something haha

Khi tôi nghĩ về Tết, tôi nghĩ về những nụ cười của những đứa trẻ em và các người lớn, tại vì đấy mới là ý nghiã của Tết có phải không? Cái điều quan trọng nhất của dịp Tết là cái nụ cười trên môi của những người Việt. Cho dù Tết bao gồm tiền, lì xì, và nhiều món thức ăn, có một điều rất quan trọng là cho người ăn trơi với mọi người dù già hay trẻ. Chuyện tuởi tác không quan trọng! Hết thẩy mọi người có thể trung vui. Cho dù minh là người Christian, Công Giáo, hay là Muslim cũng được, Tết là một ngày lễ có thể trung vui với mọi người.

that was the best i could do off the top of my head. any more eloquent would take me a little longer.

and the words in RED i don't know the vietnamese for. or well i can't think of it now. haha

and the BLUE is help from others! *cough DVAYN *cough

good luck with that. hope i was of some assistance.

*and if you want 'em' instead of 'toi' just replace all the 'toi' with 'em' and it SHOULD HOPEFULLY still make sense.

^^ your translation is very accurate. Sounds like it'll be a very good speech

if the person wanting it translate is using it as a speech. LOL. The only word i can help

you with is holiday= ngày lễ.

thank you very much DVAYN! it was on the tip of my tongue but i couldn't think of it (:

^^ your translation is very accurate. Sounds like it'll be a very good speech

if the person wanting it translate is using it as a speech. LOL. The only word i can help

you with is holiday= ngày lễ.

Guest ~.Linh.~

when i chat with my cousins it's all about a good guess <_<

but after a while i got used to the words...because i always wrote the same xD

don't know if this is off topic but i have a question:

well, my cousin is actually half a year younger than me (perhaps even less....but she's younger) but she is my bac's daughter.

So...I should call her chi, right? My mom always says I don't need to but my ba noi always talks about her as my chi. We are more friends than chi va em...so we just address each other by name and not with chi or em.

so...i'm not doing anything wrong, do I?? :blink:

Guest don'tpan!c

Ooh, I didn't know there's a Vietnamese help thread! How awesome!

I'm pretty fluent in Viet (speaking, reading, writing) so I'll be coming here to help from time to time. My name's Mercy, by the way. =)

trangx & chrisMCNASTY

For the paragraph/essay, Christian would translate to đạo Cơ-đốc and Muslim would translate to đạo Hồi-giáo.

~.Linh.~

No worries, you're not doing anything wrong. I have a cousin that's older than me and we address each other by name. I don't think it matters when you're adults, either.

Oh, and speaking of last names...

Is anyone else here a Huynh? According to that list of percentages, Huynh is much more common than I thought it was. :ph34r:

Guest xxdorkie

how do you say "did you change your room?" in vietnamese? Im specifically referring to a dorm room if that's of any relevance. thanks ^^

Guest Chocopiex3

^ Bạn mới đổi phòng à?

(...) có thể trung vui với mọi người.

Sorry for cutting your post. It's CHUNG vui. :]

(...) có một điều rất quan trọng là cho người ăn trơi với mọi người dù già hay trẻ. Chuyện tuởi tác không quan trọng!

(...) có một điều rất quan trọng là cho người ăn CHơi với người già hay trẻ. Chuyện tui tác không quan trọng!

^^

man i always mix up ch and tr. i cant tell the difference X__x

For pronunciations, it's exactly like in English.

CH, there's more air going out. ( CH as in a child )

TR, you roll the tongue. ( TR as in a tree )

P.S: Wow, I'm glad there's a small Vietnamese community on Soompi. Nice to meet you all.

Guest meilove

^ Bạn mới đổi phòng à?

Sorry for cutting your post. It's CHUNG vui. :]

(...) có một điều rất quan trọng là cho người ăn CHơi với người già hay trẻ. Chuyện tui tác không quan trọng!

^^

For pronunciations, it's exactly like in English.

CH, there's more air going out. ( CH as in a child )

TR, you roll the tongue. ( TR as in a tree )

P.S: Wow, I'm glad there's a small Vietnamese community on Soompi. Nice to meet you all.

you beat me to everything lmfaoo

trangx your translation is perfect except I think you should switch the toi with em, chau or minh.

It sounds more polite than using toi.

Like how koreans and japanese uses different honorifics, vietnamese uses it as well, but I see it more in the bac and on tv more than nam.

Guest Chocopiex3

you beat me to everything lmfaoo

Lol, I was born in Vietnam, my mom is Vietnamese and I'm currently living there ^^ ...but I'm moving to the US in 2009. Dx

If you guys have any questions regarding the vocabs, just ask. :]

I can't help much on the translations though, I suck. D:

Guest meilove

Lol, I was born in Vietnam, my mom is Vietnamese and I'm currently living there ^^ ...but I'm moving to the US in 2009. Dx

If you guys have any questions regarding the vocabs, just ask. :]

I can't help much on the translations though, I suck. D:

oh i see

i was in vietnam in the summer

loved itt

and ur sig; i love kim jaejoong too<33333

what does cam chau means? its my first name, ive always wondered what it meant... lol, i asked my parents the other day and i still couldnt understand ><

Archived