New Vietnamese Help Thread

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Guest T0fu^.^

is it 'Cẩm Châu'?

doesn't that mean 'Pearl'?

correct me if i'm wrong

No it does not mean Pearl, Trân Châu means Pearl, and that's my name...a random fact there, lol.

AZNGEL: Tell me how you make your phở, I'll ask my mom and maybe I'll be able to type out what she says for how she makes her phở.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it does not mean Pearl, Trân Châu means Pearl, and that's my name...a random fact there, lol.

AZNGEL: Tell me how you make your phở, I'll ask my mom and maybe I'll be able to type out what she says for how she makes her phở.

i put about 3lb beef bones with marrow, 1lb beef brisket, whole cloves, star anise, lemon grass, cinnamon stick, onion, and ginger and let that simmer for about 5hrs. in the last hour i add fish sauce, salt, and sugar. it just turns out rather bland. it tastes about 80% close to how restaurants taste but i just cant get it to be that good and everyone on soompi seems to say that homemade pho is better than restaurants. thanks!!!

Guest T0fu^.^

Azngel: I haven't asked my mom but from what you're doing, I think the spices are the problem. When my mom makes it, she roasts the cloves, anise, onions, ginger, etc... in the toaster oven, LOL, we don't wanna waste electricity so toaster oven it goes. After roasting them for a bout Idk, say 10 minutes...she throws them into the soup and let it simmer. I promise I will ask this upcoming weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest miki_chan

^ yeah i think so too. i was like racking my brain but i dont think theres a word for cool.

you can use "tot" im too lazy to put signs.

it means good/nice ect.

ionno, im a noob at viet :ph34r:

Guest meilove

How would you say, "I think you're cool" in viet? Is there even a word for cool? or "I'm cool"

the only thing i can think of for cool is what my dad always says ... " ngầu "

Guest trangx

How would you say, "I think you're cool" in viet? Is there even a word for cool? or "I'm cool"

haha i always say 'hấp dẫn'

used in a sentence: wow mẹ! this áo is hấp dẫn!

so i don't know if it can be used to describe a person. well i guess. kinda

"you're hấp dẫn"

"tao hấp dẫn"

"tao nghĩ mày rất hấp dẫn"

*i would assume you're talking to a peer when saying they are "cool" haha

:D

Guest meilove

haha i always say 'hấp dẫn'

used in a sentence: wow mẹ! this áo is hấp dẫn!

so i don't know if it can be used to describe a person. well i guess. kinda

"you're hấp dẫn"

"tao hấp dẫn"

"tao nghĩ mày rất hấp dẫn"

*i would assume you're talking to a peer when saying they are "cool" haha

:D

maybe it's just me but i think hấp dẫn is used for mostly describing the look/smell of food ..? idk lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sj__love

can someone please tell me what this means?

my friend typed it to me -________-

may la (name) may thich an pho

thanks =)

maybe it's just me but i think hấp dẫn is used for mostly describing the look/smell of food ..? idk lol

yeah, it's more like enticing/tempting... me and my mom use "cute" to describe everything we want to buy nowaday. even my dad caught onto it harhar

when you use cool in its ghetto connotation, it is "ngau" as Juicylovex says... then again that was like 10 years ago, and i'm not up to date with viet slangs anymore so i dunno what they use in the motherland now.

may la (name) may thich an pho

"you are (name), you like to eat pho" ... i think, so random :sweatingbullets: hope you guys are close friends, "may" is a rather harsh term if not.

Guest Onesweetypie

so what does "may" mean by itself?

It is use as calling a person "you".

But it is depended on the person u use it with.

With some ppl, bc they are so close to each other, they call each other may - u, tao - I/me.

Nevertheless, may/tao are also use to when u are cussing each other out.

For me, I hate using may/tao even to my friend bc I find it disrespectful and impolite.

Guest 'SIIMPLE

question: my friend's mom is younger than my mom so what should i call her, co or gi? or does it really matter between the two?

Guest random koohkie

question: my friend's mom is younger than my mom so what should i call her, co or gi? or does it really matter between the two?

Usually I would call that person Co. I think maybe if that person is really close to your family you could call them Di? Not sure since my family titles are kinda weird.

I call my duong cau instead x]

^^^

ahaha i use gi because i think its more frendly

yah know first impression and junk? xD

ahhaha i only use co wen i called my aunt and dat's cause she's the younger sister of my dad.

yah the little on your dad side you call em diff then on your mom side xD

ahaha i hope ya get wat i mean

-TEAA`

Guest tramy

i reckon hấp dẫn is more about being 'sexy'.

Archived