Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest s0y0un*

how do u make an instrumental??

becuz everytime i request for one nobody finds it ><

can u make one using audacity??

how do u make an instrumental??becuz everytime i request for one nobody finds it >< can u make one using audacity??
i play it? lol

about what u're asking for, it's about what everybody call vocalcut, vocal remove...it's about extracting from a stereo sound ( a song ) what's less stereo... it means it takes off what's centered in the song... Usually the voice (usually equally mixed on both left n right) !But voice has reverb for example... Since it's spatialized, it's 'bleeding' on both side... That's why on the most of the songs, vocal cutting leaves some ghostly voice remaining... If the parameters of the vocal cut are pushed further to remove that, then more instruments will also disappear! (usually drums) Also that explains why background harmonies are remaining too, since it's not purely in the middle as the lead vocal! that's a good thing!

vocalcut is actually center-channel-cut... voice or drums or whatever.. it doesn't make distinction... that method gives a super results only in.. let's say 2% of the songs? lol

I hope i helped u to understand more what it's about ^^so u can have a guess of what song will work or not with that method!

I guess there's that filter thing in Audacity?

Good luck ;)

Question, where do you record yourself so there's no echo? and is there anyway to remove the echo like in programs and stuff?
i don't record in my bathroom? lolwell... no echo => no reflection of ur voice around u... => the more things absorbing the sound, the less u'll have echoes! carpet on the floor, wood furnitures, minimize the surface of ur walls (blankets?).... Well, i hope ur bedroom isn't empty or the walls will reflect ur voice!

about removing echoes.... hmmm that's more the job of the CIA with some dirty recordings? lol really, try to record without echoes, i'm not sure it's worth trying doing it (if only we can!) since it's a kinda reversing process... i'm pretty sure it's a complex thing....

good luck!

Guest ariphillips

I want to become a jpop singer with my friend but I need help with record companies to audition with, We dont mind being a korean singer either!

I know sony for japan already also I dont know how to audition for sm!!

Guest s0y0un*

i play it? lol

about what u're asking for, it's about what everybody call vocalcut, vocal remove...it's about extracting from a stereo sound ( a song ) what's less stereo... it means it takes off what's centered in the song... Usually the voice (usually equally mixed on both left n right) !But voice has reverb for example... Since it's spatialized, it's 'bleeding' on both side... That's why on the most of the songs, vocal cutting leaves some ghostly voice remaining... If the parameters of the vocal cut are pushed further to remove that, then more instruments will also disappear! (usually drums) Also that explains why background harmonies are remaining too, since it's not purely in the middle as the lead vocal! that's a good thing!

vocalcut is actually center-channel-cut... voice or drums or whatever.. it doesn't make distinction... that method gives a super results only in.. let's say 2% of the songs? lol

I hope i helped u to understand more what it's about ^^so u can have a guess of what song will work or not with that method!

I guess there's that filter thing in Audacity?

Good luck ;)

omg i dont really understand wut ur saying but okay thanks for ur help

so does that mean some songs people cant even make instrumentals?!

oh and also how do u change the pitch of a song?

like i tried lowering the pitch one key down on audactiy and then the whole song became really weird like u can heard the drums really loud

Guest ny-sw / ny_sw.

^ You can try to make an instrumental out of a song you already have, but yeah, it's not perfect..

Load the song up on audacity, then split the stereo tracks (click on the title of the song on the upper left hand corner of the bar thing. Then click on the bottom track, and find 'invert'- it's in effects or something like it. Then make both tracks mono- both tracks together make your instrumental.

I don't know if you can save it/mix it- i've never tried, but you can. :]

As for changing pitch, no idea. o___o

omg i dont really understand wut ur saying but okay thanks for ur help

so does that mean some songs people cant even make instrumentals?!

oh and also how do u change the pitch of a song?

like i tried lowering the pitch one key down on audactiy and then the whole song became really weird like u can heard the drums really loud

lol it was night my explainations were crappy!! sorry

let's be oganised this time :P

vocalcutting consists in cutting from a song, everything which is equally mixed on left and right, it means, everything which is centered in the mix. we take off a more or less part of the song, depending on the parameters we choose.

Since in a song, we always (most of the time) have the voice of the singer in the middle, but other instruments panned (more or less), that's why we can cut the voice off!

But usually we notice the drums (for example) are also cut... That's because they were also in the center between left and right.

Also, the more reverb the voice has, the harder we're gonna vocalcut! In fact, reverb make the voice 'echo-ing' on left and right channels, that's why the reverb still remains whilst the main vocal is cut off.

I think i was clearer XD But i'm not really awaken... It may still be unclear :sweatingbullets:

I want to know if use headphone mic is it ok like dynamic mic and.. is it sensitive?

Since they're not made for the same purpose, I dont think they can be compared... headphone mics are made for talking, multimedia apps, whereas dynamic mics are made for singing...

But if you don't wanna spend too much money in a mic, why not a headphone mic after all... Btw, i knew someone who sang & recorded with his headphone mic, and although it was very cheap, the quality was much better than many other recordings by other people! I was quite surprised by the quality.it was a Cosonic brand. If i had 10$ to spend into a mic, i'd definitely buy this one, instead of a 10$ dynamic mic which would be surely crappy at this price.

i would say:

under 50€ : i know no good dynamic mics under that price... then i would choose a headset mic

around 50€ : u can find many good dynamic mics (and many crappy too), so choose carefully

around 100€ : i wouldn't put so much into a dynamic mic, i think it's not worth at all, unless u often sing on stage and u need really good stuff.

As always, ef u wanna buy a headphone mic to sing, i'd advise u to know the quality of the recording first, and hear how it is. ask someone who has such mic to make u listen to it?

i hope i could help!

Guest NymphoeniX

Thanks KimL :D that's useful ^_^

I have question about this information of mic

Frequency range: ??

Maximum power input: ??

SensitivityL ??

Cable length: ??

How many or what rage of that info wich best quality of mic that use for singing record ^_^

Thanks KimL :D that's useful ^_^

I have question about this information of mic

Frequency range: ??

Maximum power input: ??

SensitivityL ??

Cable length: ??

How many or what rage of that info wich best quality of mic that use for singing record ^_^

i would say: 1-freq range & 2-sensitivity

cable length: u choose! I think 3m is enough for recording in ur bedroom? 6m... if u live in big bedroom ^^ but hey it's much more expensive!

frequency range, i don't know what u know about it.... to be short, u may know human being can hear from 20Hz to 20 000 Hz ?

a dynamic mic will record approx from 20Hz to 15kHz... it can be slightly higher or lower... (whereas a good static mic will cover the entire range 20-20k) as an example, if it's 20Hz-12kHz, the sound will sound muffy, like u're under a blanket (because high frequencies won't be recorded)

also there's something really interesting to know too, it's the frequency curve of the mic (each mic will have its own frequency curve). u can see it as a graphic. to be short, the flatter the curve is, the more neutral sound it will record. for example, if the curve is dropping down near its upper limit of its frequency range (let's say 15kHz), then it means, the more i approach there, the less it will record. in other words, the less bright the sound will be.

On the opposite, if there's a 'hill' in the curve at around 15kHz, it means that around those frequencies, there will be a boost, itwill sound brighter.

that's easy to know if it's boosting in the bass or else, just by looking at the curve! cool , isn't it? B)

I would say, there's no 'good' or 'bad' curve, but it just explains that each mic has its own sound specificity, it can be 'warm', 'clear', 'bright' etc... u choose depending on ur voice and how u want it to sound! ^^ sorry there's no unique rule for that!

Sensitivity, well, it's kinda simple, the more sensitive the mic is, the more it records quiet sound .. AND it includes noise of course. (btw u talked about cables, there r in fact different quality of cables XD they produce more or less noise for example... But okay it's not that that important XD just to say that if a mic is really really sensitive, it records also the noise from the cable lol)

But well, it's kinda secondary...

sorry to make it long... :sweatingbullets: (well, i mostly wanted to sound smart looooooool nah kidding) but seriously, u just gotta know all that only once, then u'll know it for everytime u make a choice of microphone! B)

remember the frequency range & its curve & most important, listen to how the mic sound if u can, at least, try to know how the sound is defined (warm, bright etc) u can easily get comments from ppl on different mic throughout the web! hhahaha really, i said things but maybe u won't even look at it, coz yeah, to me, the most important thing is TO KNOW HOW IT SOUNDS! specs & curves & boring explaination from KimL won't replace that :lol:

Good luck, i go to bed :rolleyes:

Guest hmaster

Microphones you wear with your headsets are usually electret condensor microphones, although not as high quality as the ones you'll find in professional microphones. Headset microphones can't ever be dynamic, because the dynamic pickup has to be of a certain size.

Because of cost issues, a headset microphone will never sound good for any sort of singing purposes, they're just not made for that. And if you happen to sound good with a headset microphone, then you probably have a very thin voice, which may or may not suit the songs you're singing.

I'd like to also point out that those charts that KimL was talking about are the responses at a given distance. Which means if you don't sing at that distance, you won't get the intended response. A flat graph also does not mean a neutral sound. Whether or not a microphone sounds neutral is more the choice of microphone components and wiring inside the microphone.

The important thing is to know how it sounds, that is correct. But the reason for knowing how it sounds is for the purposes of changing how you sound. Maybe your voice is a bit too thick or rich. Then you'd want a microphone with a more neutral sound, or maybe one that enhances highs. or vice versa.

There's probably a lot more that could be corrected but it'd be very boring and probably wouldn't apply to most of you.

Anyways, I hoped i helped.

Guest ABCLiterate

I was wondering...

you know how there are the mics that we buy and plug into our computer, etc. etc.

and there are built-in mics in laptops and stuff...

would the build-in mics work just as well...or worse? or well basically which is better and why?

I was wondering...

you know how there are the mics that we buy and plug into our computer, etc. etc.

and there are built-in mics in laptops and stuff...

would the build-in mics work just as well...or worse? or well basically which is better and why?

lol built-in components are usually okay but not great. it's not only for mics, but for example, when u buy a computer with a built-in soundcard, this one is surely one of the poorest : it's perfect when u watch a video or listen to music, but then when it comes to do music u need something else.

It can be the same for mics in the laptop, u can talk on Skype or else, but when it comes to singing.... :unsure:

Anyway, I didn't say that all the dynamic microphones are better than laptop mics! There's crappy thing on both sides!

I just said, laptop mics are not the best thing u can use, if u can use better then why not. If u can only use that, then why not too lol

I'm not the kind of people who wants the best of the best thing at once..... As an example, for my built-in soundcard, i did music for many many years with it and recorded my voice with it (it was soooo noisy) :blush: it didn't prevent me from doing nice things lol

As always.... You test urself ^^

From what i know:

I talked to people who used their laptop mics, one of them was very sensitive, u could talk from where u sit, and i could hear anything which was very far, like someone walking down the stairs, and also i could hear the noise of the laptop!!!

another one was not sensitive and the person had to bow above the laptop to be close to the mic....

So, test ur mic ^^ but if urs is like the last one i describe, it becomes hard to sing and read the lyrics on the screen while bowing XD

Good luck

Guest K-Free

im not sure if this is already answered but which mic is best for vocal? dynamic or consender? may somebody give me some advice which specific mic i should get? price range about 50-100$ thank you.

Guest babiepooh

I have a hand held dynamic mic by samson (Q1U) but when I record my voice on audacity it sound funny. I was wondering if I should get a condenser mic instead? Also when I use the mic at karaoke (shure) my voice sound way better. Does anyone know if there a Shure mic that can be plug into the computer? :sweatingbullets:

Guest sikkony

How do you fix tone deafness? (Besides getting a vocal coach) Thank you.

You can't not even with a coach. It should be a very rare case.