Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

hi, i don't know if anyone had posted this question before .. if anyone's using audacity for recording, do you notice that sometimes below the bar there'll write "recording time remaining"? mine used to have 20hour but now itz been reduced to 10 .. so i'm wondering what will happened if we used up all the hours? will i be unable to record with it anymore after that? or do i need to redownload it again? :blink:

Guest brosentgal
Okay, is it normal for some people to have voices that makes them have like a stuffy nose? You know...like BoA? (No offense)How can you get rid of that problem?
That stuffy nose sound you mention is actually not uncommon among most pop singers. If you must know, most of the classical singers/coaches cannot even handle listening to stuff like that..because what you are doing is you are basically destroying your vocal chords!No seriously, I don't know how BoA can sing like that and manage to have a voice for all of her concerts and CDs. One day she will wake up to no voice at all..I am dead serious.See, when she sings like that..or for anyone in that matter, what happens is that..instead of using all of the support you are "supposed" to be getting from your diaphragm, you are getting it all from your vocal chords. Your vocal chords are just two flaps of muscle in your throat. So really, you are forcing out a sound that is choking!If you are to sing pop, try to understand the fundamentals of singing classical first because classical singing (which is such a challenge) is what will help you better understand that singing with a supported breath will sound better, richer, and more you than the BoA sound.So your question ties all the way back to breathing..if you can have a supported breath while singing, that nasal sound will automatically go away.You sing from your stomach, your body is the vessel for the air...you don't just use your vocal chords and that is a common misconception that people get when they try to sing pop..just yell it out like Christian Aguilera and you are sounding good..no it doesn't work like that...you need support.I hope that helps.
Could someone please help?I really need to know!
I am sure that this mike will help you with your recording. What are you recording for? I have used this kind of mike in my video tech class for voice overs and one of my guy friends used this kind of mike for his guitar playing...so I am sure that this will be alright to use. If you are still in doubt..just call up radio shack or go there in person and ask them about it.

Guest lovemickytobits

whoa, thanks for sharing.

but i dont have a nice voice.

is it still possible for me to sing as nice as BoA(it's just an example!!) if i practise really hard?

Guest jessi31493

Hey! I was wondering, some artisits only sing in a falsetto when they go for the REALLI high notes, but they sing with their normal voices when it's not the high notes, like the voices in which they speack. Somehow, that's really hard for me, it's like everytime I sing, it just comes out in a falsetto, and when i try to sing in my normal voice, it sounds weird. What is that voice called anyways??

Thanks in advance!

<33

Jessica

Guest sikkony

That stuffy nose sound you mention is actually not uncommon among most pop singers. If you must know, most of the classical singers/coaches cannot even handle listening to stuff like that..because what you are doing is you are basically destroying your vocal chords!No seriously, I don't know how BoA can sing like that and manage to have a voice for all of her concerts and CDs. One day she will wake up to no voice at all..I am dead serious.See, when she sings like that..or for anyone in that matter, what happens is that..instead of using all of the support you are "supposed" to be getting from your diaphragm, you are getting it all from your vocal chords. Your vocal chords are just two flaps of muscle in your throat. So really, you are forcing out a sound that is choking!If you are to sing pop, try to understand the fundamentals of singing classical first because classical singing (which is such a challenge) is what will help you better understand that singing with a supported breath will sound better, richer, and more you than the BoA sound.So your question ties all the way back to breathing..if you can have a supported breath while singing, that nasal sound will automatically go away.You sing from your stomach, your body is the vessel for the air...you don't just use your vocal chords and that is a common misconception that people get when they try to sing pop..just yell it out like Christian Aguilera and you are sounding good..no it doesn't work like that...you need support.I hope that helps.

Ah, my initial thoughts that you were a classically trained singer is correct.

Firstly, I think BoA is an awesome singer. Her vocal technique of current sounds excellent. I don't think she'd ever wake up with no voice.

Secondly, can you define breathe support? What is meant by, "...you are getting it all from your vocal chords."?

Thirdly, forcing sound doesn't neccessarily mean choking.

Fourthly, Christina Aguilera doesn't "yell". Her high chesty heavy notes are signs of breathe support.

Fifthly, nasality is not the cause of improper breathe support from my understanding.

Hey! I was wondering, some artisits only sing in a falsetto when they go for the REALLI high notes, but they sing with their normal voices when it's not the high notes, like the voices in which they speack. Somehow, that's really hard for me, it's like everytime I sing, it just comes out in a falsetto, and when i try to sing in my normal voice, it sounds weird. What is that voice called anyways??

Thanks in advance!

Full voice. To the audience, sounds like chest voice.

Could someone please help?

I really need to know!

If you can't hold it in your hand, don't buy it. Meaning don't get a deskmic. Get a handheld. I use the Behringer XM8500 and I highly suggest it.

And... Sikkony :: I don't agree with Brosentgirl's opinions on certain people (i think Lena Park's voice is going to be destroyed before Boa's because her vibrato's going to collapse her throat), but breath support is where you power your voice from. most people singing from their lungs which is incorrect form-- when one sings, the shoulders should not move. The concept of breathing from the belly or the red balloon game is to power the notes from deeper inside of you, so you can relax and take less vocal strain-- to give the most sound for the least effort. Think of it like a tube of toothpaste. If you squeeze it in the middle, only a little bit comes out-- but if you squeeze it at the end, it ALL comes out. Does that make sense?

Brosentgal :: There are many different schools of vocal thought and it is good to be open minded to all of them. Everyone has a different voice, ne. A belter will belt, and a soft spoken person will sing softly-- but just because a person sings from a different school than you, doesn't mean you should slam their technique completely. Christina Aguilera's breath support is amazing. I'm not sure, but it sounds like she does SLS, which is really a very good technique-- the technique I prefer, actually.

Guest sikkony

If you can't hold it in your hand, don't buy it. Meaning don't get a deskmic. Get a handheld. I use the Behringer XM8500 and I highly suggest it.

And... Sikkony :: I don't agree with Brosentgirl's opinions on certain people (i think Lena Park's voice is going to be destroyed before Boa's because her vibrato's going to collapse her throat), but breath support is where you power your voice from. most people singing from their lungs which is incorrect form-- when one sings, the shoulders should not move. The concept of breathing from the belly or the red balloon game is to power the notes from deeper inside of you, so you can relax and take less vocal strain-- to give the most sound for the least effort. Think of it like a tube of toothpaste. If you squeeze it in the middle, only a little bit comes out-- but if you squeeze it at the end, it ALL comes out. Does that make sense?

Brosentgal :: There are many different schools of vocal thought and it is good to be open minded to all of them. Everyone has a different voice, ne. A belter will belt, and a soft spoken person will sing softly-- but just because a person sings from a different school than you, doesn't mean you should slam their technique completely. Christina Aguilera's breath support is amazing. I'm not sure, but it sounds like she does SLS, which is really a very good technique-- the technique I prefer, actually.

Yup, I was asking only to see her definition of breathe support. We are both SLS trained, although I still got quite a lot to go compared to you especially in phrasing, deliver, stylistic approach and mostly experience LOL :(. I'm not really SLS but the foundations are the same. I agree Sou with your comment.

Question for that Behringer 8500, how do you avoid the muffled sound when recording close? What are your settings on your amp? Do you gain low, output high, then amplify the sound through software? Your clips are amazingly clear.

Guest jasmine_korea

OK i have this question i can not vibrate my voice in anyway!! i have no idea how ppl do the vibration at the end of every part of the song.

Is there any special practice for that??

I hope my question will not be that dumb ^_^

thanx

I used to be able to record what was playing on the computer without catching outside sounds.

However, after my dad borrowed my mic and returned it to me, that option was no longer working.

I tried every possible way to make the mic record only what was playing on the computer, but it always catches scratchy sounds from my study room.

Any of ya'll know how to record only the sounds on the computer? I think there should be some option on Cool Edit Pro... :unsure:

Sikkony :: Remind me to talk about mics on MSN next time you catch me. I'd have to ask you a bunch of questions about your mic settings and stuff.

Guest aiko_da luv child

wen i sing male songs or songs with a singer with a

low voice i automatically sing in a higher pitch then

it is. and then wen it gets higher i start to squeak..

wat am i doing wrong? is there songs that can match

my high voice..

Guest pucapunipoemi

i dont know if this question had been asked before or not but can someone help me with my breathing problem while singing?

when ever i try to sing a song with the mic. i can hear my breathing sound coming out from the mic.

i tried to use my stomach to breath but it's not really working~~~

can someone please help me? thanx in advance!

Guest pinklegirl007

What are the best quality mics out there?

How much do they cost?

Can anyone help me??

aiko :: i think the quickest solution would be, perhaps, to sing songs by female artists that already sing in a higher register.

pucapunipoemi :: It might be the type of mic you're using. if you're using a desktop microphone, they're really very sensitive and amp up anything-- similarly since the mic doesn't have a discernable head there's nothing to server as a windscreen, so all your breathing will come out. It's probably not a problem with your actual breathing pattern-- just the microphone.

Guest peachesapples123

Man, I read the FAQ and saw there that using your diaphragm to make your vibrato is unhealthy and bad. XP I always use my diaphragm. I think...?

Well, I searched up on the internet how to do vibrato and it said that it's similar to the way your stomach is when you laugh. So I kind of got it from thinking of that all the time. But when I feel my stomach when I sing, I don't feel my diaphragm really shaking the way it does when I actually laugh. But it feels like it's shaky.

I have to say though, my stomach always feel more tense when I'm singing with vibrato.

Okay, well, I wanted to ask a question. It might sound dumb though...Lol

I have a problem with singing louder. I can't sing loud. If I do, I just think I sound really, really bad. And, I just always feel so uncomfortable with singing so loudly. Are there any ways to make singing loud easier for me?

Guest pinklegirl007

I want to buy a mic within the $100-130 range, but there are so many too choose from the many sites that one soompier pm-ed me about.... which which mic brand is reliable and good quality... which is worth the money I'm going to spend.

I'm choosing between 6 mics within my price range in these brands:

Samson

CAD

Audio Technica

Behringer

Shure

Studio Projects

Are all these brands reliable?? Which one is the best brand?

Thanks someone please help! I'm going to be spending a lot of money here! :o

go with a SHURE SM58. One of the best studios I've recorded at used nothing but those as far as dynamic mics go-- they're really reliable.

Guest pucapunipoemi

pucapunipoemi :: It might be the type of mic you're using. if you're using a desktop microphone, they're really very sensitive and amp up anything-- similarly since the mic doesn't have a discernable head there's nothing to server as a windscreen, so all your breathing will come out. It's probably not a problem with your actual breathing pattern-- just the microphone.

thank you Sou! i guess it's probably the time to change my mic =.="

Guest __daanii.

go with a SHURE SM58. One of the best studios I've recorded at used nothing but those as far as dynamic mics go-- they're really reliable.

I was wondering about buying this .

What is the price and where is the best place to buy it from ?

Guest aiko_da luv child

I did a little research on voice range

(i think it's called range) or type and

i think im an mezzo soprano... does

anybody know any korean female

artists that are mezzo sopranos too??