[Drama 2023] Twinkling Watermelon, 반짝이는 워터멜론

larus

Twinkling Watermelon: Episodes 3-4

by Dramaddictally

Playful, funny, a full of adorable band members, our drama is off and running with a Back to the Future-esque story that’s impossible to put down. As our guitar-loving hero begins to navigate the past, father and son get off on the wrong foot, giving us lighthearted fun smacked right up against heartfelt moments. I know it’s early, but I’m already expecting this to nudge itself onto my list of favorite time-slip dramas.

EPISODES 3-4

My adoration for this drama boils down to its vibe. It’s got tons of personality and it knows itself well. It’s a little wacky, somewhat quirky, at times sentimental, but it never strays from its overarching tone that’s geared to make us feel good whether it’s a comedic moment or a serious one. With that kind of vision, I can’t not love it — even when it doesn’t make total sense.

We start with Yi-chan’s perspective this week and see that when Dad was young, he was a bit of a slacker, a little dweeby, hilariously funny, and one heck of an optimist. What catches Eun-gyeol’s attention of course is that his father also had a big fat crush on someone who is not Eun-gyeol’s mom. In the words of our time-traveling hero: “I have so many questions, Dad!”

Last week, we saw Yi-chan approach his crush, Se-kyung, and announce he’s in a band now — feel free to swoon. This week, we see Se-kyung is far from interested but says she’ll be his girlfriend the minute he meets three conditions: it has to be a newly minted band (no piggybacking on a successful group). Yi-chan has to play an instrument (solos expected). And she gets to choose the song he plays (it’s 1995, so, Nirvana).

With unmerited fervor he accepts the challenge. Now, he just needs to drum up some bandmates. The group’s name is no problem since he’s already got that picked out: Fake First Love Memory Makers — because he’ll be every girl’s first love from now on (hilarious).

His first move is to recruit the school band, which already has three musicians and just needs a guitarist. But since Yi-chan has only learned the first few cords of one song, they kick him out until he can come back with a real guitar player.

And this is the leadup to the meeting between Yi-chan and Eun-gyeol that we closed with last week. No, it’s not because Eun-gyeol is a genius guitar player — it’s because there’s a total mix-up.

Yi-chan and his friend, OH MA-JOO (Ahn Do-kyu), set out to lure a promising young guitarist named Yoon Dong-jin to Seoul. Yi-chan lives at a boarding house, run by his grandmother (Go Du-shim), and he offers Dong-jin free room and board as a trade for joining their band. Dong-jin is all in, and so, he agrees to meet them on the very street corner where Eun-gyeol is about to land when he steps back through time. And that’s how Yi-chan meets Eun-gyeol and mistakes him for Dong-jin.

The kicker to this story is that we already know that by 2023 Yoon Dong-jin is super-duper famous and known as “the godfather of Korean rock.” We also know he trained with a guy called Oh Ma-joo. So, by meeting Eun-gyeol, rather than Dong-jin, the boys might already be changing the future (just my guess considering there was an allusion to the butterfly effect before this scene).

But what happens in the future isn’t the point right now. Instead, we get a laugh-out-loud funny meeting between father and son, where Eun-gyeol pretends to be Yoon Dong-jin — it’s easy since he’s a celebrity and Eun-gyeol can spout off facts about him to “verify” his identity. The funniest part of the whole meeting scene is that the drama uses the sound effects from Back to the Future, giving a meta nod to its own comedy. (I found this genius, even if it gets tired the third or fourth time they do it later.)

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/10/twinkling-watermelon-episodes-3-4/

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching (October 7, 2023)

by DB Staff

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

mistyisles

Twinkling Watermelon: Much as I love a fish out of water, I think I like this show best when it’s leaning more emotional than comedic. I suspect part of this is because Eun-gyeol’s fish-out-of-water responses tend to make me facepalm as much as they make me laugh (the guy goes around shouting about who people are in the future and just… expects them to not think he’s crazy?). But that’s not to say I’m not enjoying it, because I very much am! Yi-chan is exasperating in the most endearing of ways, and I love both girls and the friendship growing between them. Not sure how I feel about the possibility of Eun-gyeol trying to change the future, but I am curious what approach the show will take with that, if any.

DaebakGrits

Twinkling Watermelon: My currently favorite airing drama (but we’ll see if that changes after this weekend). I love the music, the father-son dynamic, and the Back to the Future-like story. (Please stay good. Please stay good. Please stay good!)

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/10/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-october-7-2023/

Choi Hyun Wook, Ryeoun, Seol In Ah, Shin Eun Soo, And More Have Heartwarming Chemistry Behind The Scenes Of “Twinkling Watermelon”

Oct 8, 2023
by S. Nam

tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” has unveiled new behind-the-scenes stills!

Ryeoun plays Eun Gyeol, the only person who can hear in his deaf family and who leads a double life as the perfect model student by day and a band guitarist by night. Choi Hyun Wook takes on the role of the passionate Lee Chan full of Generation X vibes. Seol In Ah transforms into Seowon Arts High School’s cello goddess Se Kyung whereas Shin Eun Soo plays the cold and haughty “ice princess” Chung Ah, who has been deaf since birth.

The behind-the-scenes stills capture Ryeoun and Seol In Ah giving adorable poses for the camera. Seol In Ah flashes a dazzling smile as she holds her cello, while Shin Eun Soo exudes bright and youthful charms.

ryeoun-.jpeg

The photos further depict the cheerful chemistry between the cast. Ryeoun and Choi Hyun Wook are captivating viewers with their characters’ father-and-son chemistry, and the two actors similarly share close chemistry as they discuss ideas amidst an enjoyable atmosphere on set.

choi-hyun-wook-ryeoun-1-.jpeg

More

https://www.soompi.com/article/1618435wpp/choi-hyun-wook-ryeoun-seol-in-ah-shin-eun-soo-and-more-have-heartwarming-chemistry-behind-the-scenes-of-twinkling-watermelon

• Like 1

Ryeoun Engages In Musical Duel To Save Choi Hyun Wook’s Band In “Twinkling Watermelon”

Oct 9, 2023
by M. Lim

tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” has shared a sneak peek of its upcoming episode!

“Twinkling Watermelon” is a fantasy coming-of-age drama in which a CODA (child of deaf adult) student born with a gift for music accidentally travels back in time to 1995 through a suspicious music shop. There, he forms the band Watermelon Sugar with other mysterious youths.

Ryeoun stars as Eun Gyeol, the only person who can hear in his family, who leads a double life as the perfect model student by day and a band guitarist by night. Choi Hyun Wook takes on the role of the passionate Lee Chan, Eun Gyeol’s father who was a high school student in 1995.

Spoilers

In the previous episode, bassist Kang Hyun Yul (Yoon Jae Chan), who was a bit rough around the edges but possessed a deep passion for music, joined Lee Chan’s band after being convinced by him that he’d recruit the renowned guitarist Yoon Dong Jin (Kim Jun Hyung). However, when Lee Chan’s promises fell short and he failed to recruit Yoon Dong Jin, the band was pushed to the brink of disbandment even before their journey officially began.

Amidst this turmoil, Eun Gyeol, who had come to the school to meet Lee Chan, coincidentally crossed paths with Kang Hyun Yul, leading to a tentative agreement with high stakes. Eun Gyeol, driven by the desire to give his father Lee Chan a shining youth, was determined to keep the band alive. This prompts Eun Gyeol to accept Kang Hyun Yul’s challenge, setting the stage for an electrifying showdown between these two musical prodigies and igniting excitement throughout the school.

In the newly released stills, both are completely immersed in their performance, their unwavering determination evident in their focused expressions. Eun Gyeol’s exceptional guitar and bass skills, along with Kang Hyun Yul’s impressive technique, have captivated the attention of their fellow students.

Spoiler

yoon-jae-chan.jpeg

Ryeoun-1.jpeg

yoon-jae-chan-Ryeoun.jpeg

Notably, Lee Chan, the band’s frontman, and manager Oh Ma Joo (Ahn Do Gyu) are nervously watching the battle with hopeful hearts. Since this is Lee Chan’s only chance to win the heart of his first love Se Kyung (Seol In Ah), he wholeheartedly supports Eungyeol.

ahn-do-gyu-choi-hyun-wook.jpeg

twinkling-watermelon-1.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1618535wpp/ryeoun-engages-in-musical-duel-to-save-choi-hyun-wooks-band-in-twinkling-watermelon

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 5!:).

“Twinkling Watermelon” Ratings Remain Steady

“Twinkling Watermelon” Ratings Remain Steady

tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” continues its lone ratings race.

According to Nielsen Korea, episode 5 of “Twinkling Watermelon” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.7 percent. This is a 1.0 percent decrease from its previous episode’s rating of 4.7 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1618629wpp/twinkling-watermelon-ratings-remain-steady

Spoiler

Ryeoun Is Out To Stop Choi Hyun Wook And Seol In Ah’s Budding Relationship At All Costs In “Twinkling Watermelon”

Ryeoun Is Out To Stop Choi Hyun Wook And Seol In Ah’s Budding Relationship At All Costs In “Twinkling Watermelon”

tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” has unveiled new stills ahead of the upcoming episode!

“Twinkling Watermelon” is a fantasy coming-of-age drama in which a CODA (child of deaf adult) student born with a gift for music accidentally travels back in time to 1995 through a suspicious music shop. There, he forms the band Watermelon Sugar with other mysterious youths.

Ryeoun stars as Eun Gyeol, the only person who can hear in his family, who leads a double life as the perfect model student by day and a band guitarist by night. Choi Hyun Wook takes on the role of the passionate Yi Chan, who is full of Generation X vibes. Seol In Ah transforms into Seowon Arts High School’s cello goddess Se Kyung, while Shin Eun Soo plays the cold and haughty “ice princess” Chung Ah, who has been deaf since birth.

Spoilers

Previously, Se Kyung gave a sharp warning to Lee Chan, who kept trying to get close to her, and Eun Gyeol, who suddenly appeared and talked as if he knew all about her family circumstances. Misunderstandings continued to build as Se Kyung left for the States without a word to Lee Chan despite making a bet with him.

Thus, Se Kyung’s reappearance in front of Eun Gyeol and Lee Chan has raised many questions. Furthermore, gone is Se Kyung’s cold attitude toward Lee Chan as she greets him in a friendly manner. Viewers can’t help but be curious of Se Kyung’s intentions after she confessed to Eun Gyeol that she returned to Korea in order to end everything.

The newly released stills capture Se Kyung enjoying a date at an amusement park with Lee Chan. Along with Eun Gyeol, the band members also join Se Kyung and Lee Chan for a blast together. In particular, Eun Gyeol actively works to disrupt the relationship between Lee Chan and Se Kyung, raising questions about how the romance will unfold.

twinkling-watermelon-.jpegchoi-hyun-wook-10.jpegseol-in-ah-10.jpeg

Spoiler

seol-in-ah-Ryeoun-.jpeg

Not to mention, Eun Gyeol will remain extra vigilant as the amusement park is filled with all sorts of danger, resulting in him having his hands full with protecting his dad as well as preventing Lee Chan’s first love from coming true.

Spoiler

ryeoun-7.jpegryeoun-5.jpegryeoun-choi-hyun-wook-seol-in-ah.jpeg

The next episode of “Twinkling Watermelon” will air on October 10 at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1618711wpp/ryeoun-is-out-to-stop-choi-hyun-wook-and-seol-in-ahs-budding-relationship-at-all-costs-in-twinkling-watermelon

Here are the ratings for Episode 6!:).

“Twinkling Watermelon” Continues Lone Ratings Race At Steady Pace

“Twinkling Watermelon” Continues Lone Ratings Race At Steady Pace

Starring Ryeoun, Choi Hyun Wook, Seol In Ah, and Shin Eun Soo, “Twinkling Watermelon” has maintained steady ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, episode 6 of “Twinkling Watermelon” achieved an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.6 percent. This is a 0.1 percent decrease from its previous episode’s rating of 3.7 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1618934wpp/twinkling-watermelon-continues-lone-ratings-race-at-steady-pace

Twinkling Watermelon: Episodes 5-6

by Dramaddictally

Trouble is on the horizon as our hero sets his heart on changing his father’s future. But while he bends over backwards to protect his teenage dad, all Dad wants to do is hang out with his crush. With tensions rising all around, our fish out of water has some hard work ahead — especially if he wants to get back to 2023 and be able to recognize it.

EPISODES 5-6

When we left off, Eun-gyeol had just realized that his father was missing a very significant scar. We could already see the wheels in his head spinning with thoughts of altering the future. And sure enough, we find him this week trying to change Dad’s fate. If Eun-gyeol has a say in it, his dad will never become deaf.

Most of the action in these episodes is focused on that singular goal, with both endearing and not-so-endearing consequences. For one, the band is finally off the ground when Eun-gyeol decides that playing together is a way to stay by Yi-chan’s side 24/7 to keep an eye on him. Eun-gyeol rounds up a second guitarist, faces off with him, and wins his admiration so he’ll join their group. With that, they’ve got the five members they need to become official, plus Ma-joo as their manager.

The only problem is that the band doesn’t want Yi-chan to be the leader. If he thinks he’s good enough to be a front man, he’ll need to audition. That means he has to learn to play an instrument and bring his A-game on vocals. Eun-gyeol uses this as a chance to seat Yi-chan in front of him as a student and teach him guitar (in addition to being his dad’s tutor). Unlike with school subjects, Yi-chan is a quick study, using his feelings for Se-kyung to add passion to what he sings. By the end of the audition, the new band is practically begging him to lead.

Things go awry when Se-kyung moves to the U.S. with her family. At first, Yi-chan is unaware she’s gone and Eun-gyeol and Ma-joo decide to keep it a secret. She was the whole reason Yi-chan wanted to start a band and without her, he might toss all his hard work out the window. Right now, things are going so well: the band is practicing, they’re scheduled to be the closing act at an upcoming festival, and Yi-chan is studying his heart out. They can’t risk all that.

Plus, Eun-gyeol thinks they have nothing to worry about in the long run since he already learned from Future Se-kyung that she left Korea in 11th grade and didn’t return until Harabeoji’s funeral. So, uh, what is she doing back in Korea only a few days later? It seems she’s run away and she’s ready to stop playing the role of abiding daughter. She cuts her hair short (because we all know that means trouble) and hawks her frilly recital clothes in the street for some quick cash

When Eun-gyeol stumbles into her, he’s shocked. While his main goal now is to stop Yi-chan from getting into whatever mysterious accident caused his hearing loss, he also needs his parents to get together so he can be born. Se-kyung being the object of Yi-chan’s affection is pretty problematic on that front, so he tells Se-kyung not to see Yi-chan.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/10/twinkling-watermelon-episodes-5-6/

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching (October 14, 2023)

by DB Staff

So, what are we all watching this week?

What kept you reaching for more (or agonizing when there was no more), and what made you want to throw your remote through the screen? Time to weigh in…

mistyisles

Twinkling Watermelon: I’m noticing a pattern where the odd-numbered episodes don’t really wow me, but the even-numbered ones pull me right back in. I can’t pinpoint a specific, consistent reason, but I’ll certainly take it over the opposite scenario, because at least it keeps me coming back each week and ends on a relatively high note. I’m apprehensive about where we’re heading with Eun-gyeol’s potential injury and Se-kyung’s complete (and rather frustrating) change of personality, but cautiously hoping for the best.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/10/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-october-14-2023/

Yes, I think SG is actually the daughter of SG, and totally a time traveler. They may look alike, but their personalities are different. Plus of course the call to the phone booth near her at the end. She obviously has a personal agenda (which may clash with our boy's plans to get his parents together), but she's also got good chemistry with the lead guy, so...

As of the end of the most recent episode (6? He's just be electrocuted or something while performing in a storm), I'm wondering if that will affect his hearing at all? Even short term. And if he'll start talking in sign language, and the mom (who his dad has just run into the same hospital) will see that and that's how they'll make contact. At some point they have to meet, right??

Anyway, I'm really loving this drama. The title is misleading in my opinion--sounds like something surface-y and slapstick. There are plenty of over the top moments with Young Dad, but the show's strength is in its serious moments and the relationship between dad and son. 

• Like 1

Choi Hyun Wook And Shin Eun Soo Grow One Step Closer To Understanding Each Other In “Twinkling Watermelon”

Oct 16, 2023
by S. Nam

tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” has shared new stills of Choi Hyun Wook and Shin Eun Soo!

Choi Hyun Wook takes on the role of the passionate Yi Chan, who is full of Generation X vibes, while Shin Eun Soo plays the cold and haughty “ice princess” Chung Ah, who has been deaf since birth.

Spoilers

Previously, Chung Ah gradually began to fall for Yi Chan when he protected her by blocking a stack of books from falling on her. Furthermore, when Chung Ah was bullied and locked away in the physical education equipment room, Yi Chan saved her by helping her escape and even gave her his number for when she needed help.

shin-eun-soo-choi-hyun-wook-.jpeg

Eventually, Chung Ah’s feelings for Yi Chan grew, and Chung Ah expressed her feelings for Yi Chan, thinking to herself, “Thank you for finding me,” and, “I’m sorry for acting rough.” With Yi Chan having finally figured out Chung Ah’s name, viewers are curious to find out how their relationship will develop.

choi-hyun-wook-shin-eun-soo.jpeg

Spoiler

shin-eun-soo-6.jpeg

Spoiler

choi-hyun-wook-7-.jpeg

shin-eun-soo-7.jpeg

In the last episode, misunderstandings between the two grew because Yi Chan was unaware that Chung Ah is deaf. However, when Yi Chan tried to apologize for his words, he discovered Chung Ah fainted from a fever.

The newly released stills depict Yi Chan reliably staying by Chung Ah’s side. Chung Ah awkwardly looks at Yi Chan who took her to the hospital and cautiously approaches her to have a conversation.

choi-hyun-wook-shin-eun-soo-5.jpeg

Afterwards, Yi Chan walks Chung Ah home, and even while walking her home, he holds onto his notepad and pen, hinting that the two shared many conversations together. Chung Ah also wears a soft smile on her face.

Spoiler

choi-hyun-wook-8-.jpeg

shin-eun-soo-8.jpeg

choi-hyun-wook-shin-eun-soo-3-.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1619919wpp/choi-hyun-wook-and-shin-eun-soo-grow-one-step-closer-to-understanding-each-other-in-twinkling-watermelon

• Like 1

Todays' episode was so cute (in the middle, I mean, with Yi Chan and Chung Ah). That moment (repeated) when she said, "He called my name" made me think of the poem Flower, by Kim Choon Soo that has been quoted in both Extraordinary You and Destined with You. It's at that moment that Chung Ah first smiles and starts to become alive, not just watching from the sidelines.

Screenshot-2023-10-16-21-37-43.jpg

Flower, by Kim Choon Soo

Before I called out his name

He was nothing more

than an overlooked gesture

The moment I called his name

He came to me and

Became a flower

Just as I called him by name,

Someone please call my name,

Suitable to my color and fragrance.

I will also go to that person

I want to become his flower

All of us

Want to become something

You to me, I to you

We want to become a glance that is not forgotten.

Spoiler

/ 김 춘 수

내가 그의 이름을 불러 주기 전에는
그는 다만
하나의 몸짓에 지나지 않았다.

내가 그의 이름을 불러 주었을 때,
그는 나에게로 와서
꽃이 되었다.

내가 그의 이름을 불러준 것처럼
나의 이 빛깔과 향기(
香氣)에 알맞은
누가 나의 이름을 불러다오.
그에게로 가서 나도
그의 꽃이 되고 싶다.

우리들은 모두
무엇이 되고 싶다.
너는 나에게 나는 너에게
잊혀지지 않는 하나의 눈짓이 되고 싶다.
                                                                              (현대문학 9, 1955.9)

Here are the ratings for Episode 7:).

“Twinkling Watermelon” Maintains Steady Ratings As The Only Monday-Tuesday Drama On-Air

“Twinkling Watermelon” Maintains Steady Ratings As The Only Monday-Tuesday Drama On-Air

RyeounChoi Hyun WookSeol In Ah, and Shin Eun Soo’s “Twinkling Watermelon” is continuing to receive steady ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” achieved an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.551 percent, a slight dip from the previous episode’s rating of 3.6 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1620178wpp/twinkling-watermelon-maintains-steady-ratings-as-the-only-monday-tuesday-drama-on-air

• Like 1

20231017112243_Twinkling-Watermelon-3-1.Seol In Ah And Shin Eun Soo Are Shocked To Find An Unconscious Choi Hyun Wook In “Twinkling Watermelon”

Oct 17, 2023

tvN’s “Twinkling Watermelon” has shared stills from its upcoming episode!

Ryeoun stars as Eun Gyeol, the only person who can hear in his family, who leads a double life as the perfect model student by day and a band guitarist by night. Choi Hyun Wook takes on the role of the passionate Yi Chan, who is full of Generation X vibes. Seol In Ah transforms into Seowon Arts High School’s cello goddess Se Kyung, while Shin Eun Soo plays the cold and haughty “ice princess” Chung Ah, who has been deaf since birth.

Spoilers

Previously in “Twinkling Watermelon,” Yi Chan got attacked by bullies while he was looking for Eun Gyeol, whom he had lost contact with after the latter had left home. As a result, Yi Chan, whom Eun Gyeol had made every effort to safeguard from any incident that would damage his hearing, was seen experiencing a ringing sensation in his ears, hinting at a potential issue with his hearing. With Eun Gyeol being away from Yi Chan’s side due to an electric shock accident, viewers can’t help being curious about Yi Chan’s future.

The newly released still shows Yi Chan collapsing due to the excruciating pain piercing through his body with no one to ask for help in the dark alley.

twinkling-watermelon-5.jpg

At that moment, someone approaches him from a distance. Lee Chan’s new friend Chung Ah follows Yi Chan into the alleyway, while time traveler Eun Yu (Seol In Ah), who is pretending to be Se Kyung, also happens to be passing nearby.

twinkling-watermelon-1-1.jpg

Spoiler

twinkling-watermelon-4.jpg

twinkling-watermelon-3.jpg

twinkling-watermelon-2-1.jpg

The next episode of “Twinkling Watermelon” airs on October 17 at 8:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1620268wpp/seol-in-ah-and-shin-eun-soo-are-shocked-to-find-an-unconscious-choi-hyun-wook-in-twinkling-watermelon

• Like 2