[Drama 2023] A Secret Woman / Woman in the Veil - 비밀의 여자 - Mon to Fri @ 7:50 KST

0ly40

On 7/20/2023 at 12:29 AM, TheQueenReturns said:

I personally don't think this show being better than the others As you are comparing two different networks. Historically, at least for the last eight years MBC have the same numbers for their daily's. KBS have the same numbers for their two daily drama with the 120 epi dramas always being higher. This drama ratings are slightly lower then the norm but still fits in the historical pattern. The fact that it is still lower indicates that even the ahjummas that habitual watch have chose their battles which led to a overall decrease  from then till now with a little highs in between. So, is it really working for the viewers? I will just say that this show has not been holding their audience before aa times past. As a reference, drama addict wiki keeps accurate ratings data going back decades. This drama is consistently between between 9-11 ratings wise. The audience feedback is reflective of their ratings.

Vengeance of the Bride lowest rating was a 11.9 & that was 1x only. Highest rating was 17. Most of their ratings ranged between 12.5 - 15.6.

This serial has always been on the low side in terms of ratings, compared to 2021 or 2022's KBS2 daily dramas (numbers below are highest and lowest:

Woman in a Veil (12.1%, 8.7%)

Vengeance of the Bride (15.7%, 11.4%)

Gold Mask (17.8%, 7.2%)

Love Twist (16.3%, 11%)

Red Shoes (19.6%, 11.6%)

I enjoyed Love Twist and Vengeance of the Bride, and Red Shoes (to a certain extent). 

BTW, this serial will be replaced by Elegant Empire https://mydramalist.com/753279-elegant-empire

on August 7. So, only 10 episodes left at most after today.

And guess what, Han Ji Wan from the Witch's Game (she was the evil Joo Se Young) will be back, this time round she will be in team Good Guy, instead of the villain.

Song Sung Yoon from Love Twist (she was Kang Yoon Ah) will be the other female lead.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Newbie21SG said:

I enjoyed Love Twist and Vengeance of the Bride, and Red Shoes (to a certain extent). 

I did not watch Love Twist, but I did enjoy Vengeance of the Bride (I really liked the female lead and how strong she was compared to this one.) I also liked Red Shoes because of Choi Myung-Gil. I love her.

I also loved Miss Monte-Cristo.

37 minutes ago, Newbie21SG said:

This serial has always been on the low side in terms of ratings, compared to 2021 or 2022's KBS2 daily dramas

Yup, this daily has very low ratings compared to the previous ones. And writers do change stuff sometimes because of ratings. I explained the controversy in Korea regarding this drama in another reply.

38 minutes ago, Newbie21SG said:

BTW, this serial will be replaced by Elegant Empire https://mydramalist.com/753279-elegant-empire

Which I'm excited to see. I've dropped this drama a long time ago but I'm waiting for Elegant Empire. I hope the acting, the characters, and the script are better there. The only other daily I'm watching right now is Meant To Be.

• Like 2

Episode 91.  Greetings, Chingu.  Ah, well.  It seems writer-nim is s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g...  who in their right mind would hide Secretary's bloody clothing in a trash bin in the public waiting area.  You hide Secretary but not his clothing?  And how convenient to have two bowls of noodles delivered while Yoon Satan just happens to be waiting in the lobby and he also just happens to go into the trash bin to see Secretary's bloody clothing.  This is what happens when you wait until the night before a term paper is due at 8 a.m. to start doing your research.  Implausible as it may be, it is what it is and we're stuck with it.  So fake JAR aka Demon is at it again.  Not actually harming Secretary but also not calling the cops on Yoon Satan, filming it from the sidelines to use for her purposes later.  This chick is so frustrating.  Either jump in there and beat the daylights out of Secretary or call the cops to save his life.  But, no, she won't make a decision to take his life or save his life.  I'm speculating from the sneak peak into Episode 92 that she uses the video to get control of YJ Group which is another implausible scenario since Yoon Satan was willing to kill his own brother and father to gain control of the company and he's going to just turn it over to an upstart blackmailer over a couple of videos?  More likely the Demon would meet her end sometime overnight at home.  So assuming we're there... that Yoon Satan gets arrested for doing dastardly deeds, what is fake JAR going to do with YJ Group?  The employees of the company didn't harm her mother and Grandpa, who she thinks is complicit in her mother's death, is himself at death's door.  So, are the Jangs going to come forward to save the company?  Why?  The only reason would be that TY is revealed to be JS's son.  But right now Grandpa is out of commission and Yoon Satan will be out of commission.  The only two people who would care that the company be saved are in no position to know or care about TY's parentage.  Are TY, JS and Aunt going to figure it out themselves and then TY takes it upon himself to save the company with the assistance of the Jangs?  Why would they do that?  Yoon Satan is as responsible for their father's death as he is for fake JAR's mother's death.  Well, I guess those who were hoping lawyer and dimwit would get together in the end are about to be disappointed.   I feel that headache coming on again...

What is the significance of comparing the ratings of this drama with others?  Is it to see how well the drama is being received by the Korean public?  From my perspective, each drama is its own entity and should be judged on the storyline, the ability of the talent and how well it is doing with the public.  Grading it on a curve with other dramas with a different storyline and other talent and how well it did with the public at that time doesn't seem, to me, to render any useful information because there will be a different audience for different dramas based on the preference of the viewers.  Normally I watch crime or mystery dramas.  Once in a while I'll watch a revenge drama like Taxi Driver 2.  I only got hooked on this drama because I was confined to a bed and the episode where the soul switch happened was on the tele and I was intrigued where the writer would take this since a soul switch is the ultimate mystery.  I think public engagement with the drama in forums like this one are a better indicator of how well the drama is doing since it takes time and effort to come on here and opine.  That's real time interaction between the viewers with the drama, its storyline and the talent.  

Onward to YJ Group CEO fake JAR...  Cheers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

This serial has always been on the low side in terms of ratings, compared to 2021 or 2022's KBS2 daily dramas (numbers below are highest and lowest:

Woman in a Veil (12.1%, 8.7%)

Vengeance of the Bride (15.7%, 11.4%)

Gold Mask (17.8%, 7.2%)

Love Twist (16.3%, 11%)

Red Shoes (19.6%, 11.6%)

And guess what, Han Ji Wan from the Witch's Game (she was the evil Joo Se Young) will be back, this time round she will be in team Good Guy, instead of the villain.

Song Sung Yoon from Love Twist (she was Kang Yoon Ah) will be the other female lead.

The SML in Miss M is also in it. 
I have seen the ML I think in Teacher something. I overworked my FFW thumb for that show but I got to the end. I am quite sure they changed the storyline so that the SFL hogged the screen time just like the screaming woman (or JAR now) in MIAV. 

With a title like that, we will get chaebol  vs chaebol me thinks. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

@Newbie21SG who is playing in Elegant Empire?

As mentioned above, the lead actress is Han Ji Wan.

10 hours ago, Chickpea said:

I think public engagement with the drama in forums like this one are a better indicator of how well the drama is doing since it takes time and effort to come on here and opine.  That's real time interaction between the viewers with the drama, its storyline and the talent.  

Well, we can compare with:

Vengeance of the Bride (72 pages in Soompi forums by the end of its run)

Gold Mask (46 pages - the FL was a doormat too!)

Love/Twist (118 pages - we had plenty of discussions and that's why I like this serial a lot!)

Red Shoes (59 pages)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newbie21SG said:

Love/Twist (118 pages - we had plenty of discussions and that's why I like this serial a lot!)

Red Shoes (59 pages)

Red shoes and VOB were the revenge type, love twist wasn't, what was it doing in the revenge slot?

Gold mask, I did watch it, now I can't remember the storyline. Except for the evil SFL who abused the little boy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

Red Shoes (59 pages)

Greetings, Chingu.  Well, there you go.  The public interaction with the drama online correlates with the broadcast numbers.   That makes sense. 

Ep 93 no subs.  Well, I didn't see that coming... twist!  GU was in cahoots with Alex all along?  What a turnabout...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maribella said:

Red shoes and VOB were the revenge type, love twist wasn't, what was it doing in the revenge slot?

Gold mask, I did watch it, now I can't remember the storyline. Except for the evil SFL who abused the little boy.

Most (if not all) of the daily dramas in KBS2 & MBC can be classified as the revenge type. 

Love Twist is more of a mixed genre that has some revenge element in it, although not so obvious.

Gold Mask is also a revenge drama with somewhat similar plot as Woman in the Veil - the doormat female lead (daughter in law) who get bullied by the second female lead (mother in law) and got dumped by her husband who had an affair with the third female lead (the evil mistress who turned from evil to somewhat good ). The ending was the second female lead getting a terminal disease while at the same time imprisoned; the third female lead wanted to crash her car into the second female lead, only to hit her son (who died eventually)!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Newbie21SG said:

had an affair with the third female lead (the evil mistress who turned from evil to somewhat good ). The ending

I remember now, she was also avenging her father who was killed or denied surgery because of the chaebol family. Really.

She was so evil to the little boy, I would have done vigilante stuff. I think JAR is being whitewashed in the same way.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, maribella said:

I remember now, she was also avenging her father who was killed or denied surgery because of the chaebol family. Really.

She was so evil to the little boy, I would have done vigilante stuff. I think JAR is being whitewashed in the same way.

I can see this going into the same direction for "Woman in the Veil" too...let's see!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, maribella said:

Denied Surgery because of a chaebol family? Sounds like the plotpoint from Fatal Promise. At least in that drama, the ML's father survived. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

Red Shoes (59 pages)

Ma'am I asked who is playing in the drama. You mentioned 1 person as you mentioned before. Is she shooting a blog or are there people in the cast? 

1 hour ago, TheQueenReturns said:

Ma'am I asked who is playing in the drama. You mentioned 1 person as you mentioned before. Is she shooting a blog or are there people in the cast? 

Your question is vague. Who are you talking about?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

You asked "who is" and my answer of the main FL was not wrong :surprisedwut:

In the meantime, I also have provided another name in my original post.

BTW, Google is a good source if you want to check the details of the new daily drama that will replace this one. And someone has kindly started a new thread on it too. 

• LOL 1

2 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

You asked "who is" and my answer of the main FL was not wrong :surprisedwut:

In the meantime, I also have provided another name in my original post.

BTW, Google is a good source if you want to check the details of the new daily drama that will replace this one. And someone has kindly started a new thread on it too. 

These little petty snapbacks because of irritation is not necessary. I'm not an idiot; I was trying to engage in polite conversation. I won't make that mistake again. The word "who' @kboramint is a pronoun for 1 or more individuals. I'm a bit confused as to why you chose to state that the question within the context of this discussion as being vague or broad. It seems to me that you are trying to play defensive tackle for Newbie when I was not directing my question to you in the first place.

Back to @Newbie21SG Telling someone that Google is a good source is akin to telling someone that a bird has feathers. You were being condescending not because of a point of correction. You did it to be offensive which leads me to believe that somehow I have offended you when I don't recall talking to you to begin with. You did it to put me down, over what? My factual comments and then my opinion on the ratings. Telling someone about an obscure but helpful website concerning kdrama ratings that is rarely cited on Kthreads is not demeaning. Drama Addict is a website, Google is a search portal that the entire world except a few countries have access too.

In the future, I will ask you to push past my posts unless you want the petty, nasty, sarcastic, high school replies you gave me reflected x1000. Thanks!:fullofhearts:

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, TheQueenReturns said:

The word "who' @kboramint is a pronoun for 1 or more individuals. I'm a bit confused as to why you chose to state that the question within the context of this discussion as being vague or broad.

If a noun is plural, you use the word "are". If it is singular then you use the word "is". When someone asks "Who is playing in the drama?" then most people will think you are talking about one person.