[Drama 2023] My Lovely Liar/Useless Lies, 소용없어 거짓말

larus

Here are the ratings for Episode 13 !:).

“My Lovely Liar” Remains No. 1 Despite Small Ups And Downs In Ratings

“My Lovely Liar” Remains No. 1 Despite Small Ups And Downs In Ratings

tvN’s “My Lovely Liar” remains No. 1 in ratings among Monday-Tuesday evening dramas!

According to Nielsen Korea, the September 11 broadcast of “My Lovely Liar” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 2.958 percent, seeing a slight dip from the previous episode’s rating of 3.194 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1613116wpp/my-lovely-liar-remains-no-1-despite-small-ups-and-downs-in-ratings

5 hours ago, xiashenghan said:

We're almost done and I'm still confused with the sound cues when someone lies and when someone says the truth. 

Basically the ding is when someone lies and the flat sound (not sure how to describe it) is when someone says the truth.

Based on the preview for episode 15, is it possible that Seol Hee loses the ability to hear lies?

by Lily Alice, September 12, 2023
3 0

The tvN drama My Lovely Liar scored an average nationwide rating of 2.95% for its 13th episode, a slight decline from its previous episode's viewership of 3.19%. Looking beyond the domestic ratings, the K-drama stands as one of the most popular shows of the second half of 2023, with a rating of 8.5 on MDL.

My Lovely Liar is currently in its penultimate week. 

pdnx18_2f.png

When and where to watch the K-drama My Lovely Liar?

Episode 14 of My Lovely Liar will air on September 12th (Tuesday). The K-drama is available to stream on Viki

https://mydramalist.com/article/my-lovely-liar-starring-kim-so-hyun-and-hwang-min-hyun-gets-steady-ratings

Here are the ratings for Episode 14 !:).

“New Recruit 2” Ratings Achieve New Personal Best + “My Lovely Liar” Remains Steady Heading Into Final Week

“New Recruit 2” Ratings Achieve New Personal Best + “My Lovely Liar” Remains Steady Heading Into Final Week

Meanwhile, episode 14 of tvN’s “My Lovely Liar,” which has two episodes remaining, garnered an average nationwide rating of 2.889 percent, seeing a small dip from its previous episode’s rating of 2.958 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1613427wpp/new-recruit-2-ratings-achieve-new-personal-best-my-lovely-liar-remains-steady-heading-into-final-week

My Lovely Liar: Episodes 13-14

by mistyisles

What does it really mean to trust someone? And what might drive a person to betray the trust of someone they care about? My Lovely Liar chooses an *interesting* way to explore these questions, for sure, but I recommend bracing yourself, because I can’t help thinking there had to be a better way.

EPISODES 13-14

Eom-ji’s father gleefully tells Do-ha that he didn’t kill his daughter — but he sure hoped someone would, so he could collect insurance. His claim registers as truth, as does his tip that Jae-chan used to follow Eom-ji around like a stalker. Jae-chan takes off. When Do-ha finally catches him, he deadpans, “Okay fine — I killed her.” And then LAUGHS. Sol-hee arrives a step too late to catch whether he’s lying, and he threatens her with a knife so he can escape. (Sol-hee assures Do-ha that Jae-chan isn’t serious about hurting her, but Do-ha isn’t taking any chances.)

Do-ha wants to believe Deuk-chan couldn’t have known what Jae-chan did, so he insists on confronting his friend without Sol-hee listening in. Deuk-chan is visibly upset by the news, though he seems most upset about the thought of losing Do-ha’s trust after all he and Jae-chan have done for him.

“Trust” is the name of the game this week. According to Sol-hee’s dad, trust needs to be 100% or it’s useless, but Sol-hee confesses to Do-ha that she’s never trusted anyone completely, because she was constantly being hurt by one lie or another. This comes after he helps her scour her entire apartment to find her escaped pet turtle (A.K.A. her only confidant), and he promises to be her first fully trustworthy person.

Meanwhile, Kang-min’s investigation continues. Following Eom-ho’s notes, he learns that a witness saw someone wearing Do-ha’s jersey return to Eom-ji after Do-ha left her on the beach. Then Jin-hyuk caves, confesses, and turns over the ring he found with Eom-ji’s corpse. It can’t legally be used as evidence now, but it gives Kang-min another thread to pull. And pull he does until he discovers it’s a copy — someone had a third ring made to match Do-ha and Eom-ji’s couple rings.

Kang-min goes straight to Do-ha and Sol-hee with his findings. After a quick lie-detector test on Do-ha, he levels with them: to convict Jae-chan, they need more evidence. The trouble is, Jae-chan has been caught by Sol-hee’s gang boss friend… but his minions were bribed into letting Jae-chan go. By none other than Deuk-chan.

Do-ha and Sol-hee call Deuk-chan, trying not to jump to conclusions. He claims he’s home alone, but it doesn’t take Sol-hee’s powers to figure out he’s lying. Jae-chan is hiding out at his place. Desperate for the truth, Do-ha hires Sol-hee to set up one of her lie-detection stings at the jazz bar.

At first, Deuk-chan continues to lie that he has no idea where Jae-chan is. But when Do-ha gets emotional, Deuk-chan decides enough time has passed for him to safely tell the truth. Jae-chan is turning himself in for Eom-ji’s murder as they speak. Seeing the betrayal on Do-ha’s face, Deuk-chan adds, truthfully, that Jae-chan once asked who he’d save if Do-ha and Jae-chan were both drowning — and that he’d choose Do-ha, without fail, every time. But Jae-chan is still his brother.

Since Jin-hyuk has exposed his own crime of accepting bribes, the murder case is turned over to Kang-min’s unit. Do-ha’s mother watches her political career go down the drain, unable to grasp why she’s being punished for fabricating evidence when her son was innocent all along. She has the gall to accuse Do-ha of confusing her with his testimony, but he throws it right back: she should have trusted him from the start.

Sol-hee and her friends throw Do-ha a surprise party, prompting him to cry tears of joy and launch into a heartfelt thank you speech that ends with a kiss for Sol-hee. But Do-ha can’t shake a sense of incompleteness. And he’s not the only one: the more Kang-min questions Jae-chan, the more robotic his answers sound. Plus, they just don’t add up.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/my-lovely-liar-episodes-13-14/

Here are the ratings for Episode 15 !:).

“My Lovely Liar” Enjoys Boost In Ratings Ahead Of Series Finale

“My Lovely Liar” Enjoys Boost In Ratings Ahead Of Series Finale

Both “My Lovely Liar” and “My Lovely Boxer” are on the rise!

According to Nielsen Korea, the second to final episode of tvN’s “My Lovely Liar” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.406 percent. This is an increase from the previous episode’s rating of 2.889 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1614718wpp/my-lovely-liar-enjoys-boost-in-ratings-ahead-of-series-finale

While I'm happy for Sol Hee, Do Ha.. the parents though sigh. 

Like Do Ha's mom is atoning herself at least which is more than I can say for Sol Hee's materialistic mom tsk. If the noodle shop tanks, she'll bail on the husband again. Why didn't they hire people?

I actually dropped this a few ep. back but decided to pick it back up again LoL. Min Hyun, So Hyun have cute chemistry but that's 'bout it.

• ferily changed the title to [Drama 2023] My Lovely Liar/Useless Lies, 소용없어 거짓말

Here are the ratings for Episode 16 *Last episode* !:).

“My Lovely Liar” Ends On Rise As It Approaches Personal Best Rating For Finale

“My Lovely Liar” Ends On Rise As It Approaches Personal Best Rating For Finale

My Lovely Liar” has approached its personal best rating for the series finale.

According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of tvN’s “My Lovely Liar” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.440 percent. This is a slight increase from its previous episode’s rating of 3.406 percent, also reaching close to the drama’s personal best score of 3.446 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1615017wpp/my-lovely-liar-ends-on-rise-as-it-approaches-personal-best-rating-for-finale

My Lovely Liar: Episodes 15-16 (Final)

by mistyisles

It’s time to lay all the cards on the table, face the truth behind the lies, and send our characters off into their respective sunsets. Our leads have a few remaining hurdles to cross, but fortunately they have each other to lean on and trust in, no matter what.

EPISODES 15-16

Deuk-chan survives the car crash and subsequent surgery, and finally confesses the entire sad story. On that tragic night, he’d gone looking for Do-ha and found Eom-ji. To his shock, she already knew he liked Do-ha, so he pulled her away to the woods for privacy. There, they argued over who was more delusional, and when he pushed her in an emotional outburst, she hit her head on a rock and died.

Deuk-chan panicked. Gossip was already spreading that Do-ha and Eom-ji had fought, and, fearing Do-ha would be blamed for her death, Deuk-chan tried to make it look like suicide instead. But just in case, he kept her shirt that was splattered with his own blood (courtesy of a tree branch during the hasty burial) so he could produce evidence if he ever needed to definitively clear Do-ha’s name.

He’d hoped to take both his crime and his feelings for Do-ha to his own grave, but when his ring was unearthed, he knew time was up. Thus, he had Jae-chan turn himself in so he’d have time to wrap things up for his family and everyone at J Entertainment. Now, Deuk-chan apologizes to Do-ha, and though Do-ha maintains that an apology alone isn’t enough, he also acknowledges that Deuk-chan had his share of suffering.

Deuk-chan is sentenced to prison, and the truth is revealed to the public, along with an apology from the reporters who helped perpetuate false accusations. Now released, Eom-ho finally holds Eom-ji’s funeral. He bows in apology to Do-ha, sobbing, and Do-ha assures him their violent history is water under the bridge.

In the aftermath of the car explosion, however, Sol-hee has lost her powers. At first, she assumes there’s simply been an uptick in honesty among the general public. But an encounter with a new VIP client — who, trusting in Sol-hee’s signals, magnanimously accepts the increasingly ridiculous excuses put forward by his uninterested crush — makes it impossible to deny: Sol-hee can no longer hear lies. Her employees gamely agree to keep running the tarot café like a normal café, despite the drop in pay.

One of the worst things about Sol-hee’s loss of abilities is that hurtful lies hit her extra hard, since they sound true to her ears. But the best thing about it is Do-ha’s response. He takes full advantage of the opportunity to surprise her for once. Only someone who’s used to relying on their ears to detect lies could fall for his unconvincing poker face, but Sol-hee takes him at face value when he says he forgot he has work to do and drops her off at home right after priming her for steak and pasta. Which he then cooks from scratch so he can surprise her with a candlelight dinner. Sol-hee is delighted, and decides she’ll be okay if her abilities don’t return. Cue lots of happy kisses.

Since the main story is pretty much wrapped up by this point, we then spend almost an entire episode convincing Sol-hee’s parents to get back together. Her mom’s latest con has progressed to the point of a marriage proposal, even though she’s physically repulsed by the man, but her feelings get all complicated when she learns that her divorce from Sol-hee’s dad was the result of mutual misunderstandings. With some prodding from Sol-hee, the two go back and forth, hemming and hawing and not wanting to admit they both still care about each other.

Eventually, Sol-hee and Do-ha give Sol-hee’s dad a makeover and send him in with a brand-new ring to interrupt Mom and her fiancé. Sol-hee’s mom blurts out that she doesn’t want to live with him again… and a familiar bell rings in Sol-hee’s ears. Her powers are back! Her parents reconcile, and ultimately open a noodle shop together.

One year later, Do-ha, Young-jae, and Ethan have jointly produced a chart-topping album. This time, Do-ha accepts his Best Composer trophy in person, thanking Sol-hee in his speech for believing in him. Sha-on, who announces the award, has signed with a new company and scouted Chi-hoon to be her bodyguard (and eventual boyfriend). Kang-min has also moved on, no longer visiting the tarot café because he knows, at least for now, he won’t be content to just be friends with Sol-hee. (And I hope for the thousandth time that Seo Ji-hoon can move on to the leading roles he deserves!)

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/my-lovely-liar-episodes-15-16-final/

My Lovely Liar: Episodes 15-16 (Final)

by mistyisles

It’s time to lay all the cards on the table, face the truth behind the lies, and send our characters off into their respective sunsets. Our leads have a few remaining hurdles to cross, but fortunately they have each other to lean on and trust in, no matter what.

EPISODES 15-16

Deuk-chan survives the car crash and subsequent surgery, and finally confesses the entire sad story. On that tragic night, he’d gone looking for Do-ha and found Eom-ji. To his shock, she already knew he liked Do-ha, so he pulled her away to the woods for privacy. There, they argued over who was more delusional, and when he pushed her in an emotional outburst, she hit her head on a rock and died.

Deuk-chan panicked. Gossip was already spreading that Do-ha and Eom-ji had fought, and, fearing Do-ha would be blamed for her death, Deuk-chan tried to make it look like suicide instead. But just in case, he kept her shirt that was splattered with his own blood (courtesy of a tree branch during the hasty burial) so he could produce evidence if he ever needed to definitively clear Do-ha’s name.

He’d hoped to take both his crime and his feelings for Do-ha to his own grave, but when his ring was unearthed, he knew time was up. Thus, he had Jae-chan turn himself in so he’d have time to wrap things up for his family and everyone at J Entertainment. Now, Deuk-chan apologizes to Do-ha, and though Do-ha maintains that an apology alone isn’t enough, he also acknowledges that Deuk-chan had his share of suffering.

Deuk-chan is sentenced to prison, and the truth is revealed to the public, along with an apology from the reporters who helped perpetuate false accusations. Now released, Eom-ho finally holds Eom-ji’s funeral. He bows in apology to Do-ha, sobbing, and Do-ha assures him their violent history is water under the bridge.

In the aftermath of the car explosion, however, Sol-hee has lost her powers. At first, she assumes there’s simply been an uptick in honesty among the general public. But an encounter with a new VIP client — who, trusting in Sol-hee’s signals, magnanimously accepts the increasingly ridiculous excuses put forward by his uninterested crush — makes it impossible to deny: Sol-hee can no longer hear lies. Her employees gamely agree to keep running the tarot café like a normal café, despite the drop in pay.

One of the worst things about Sol-hee’s loss of abilities is that hurtful lies hit her extra hard, since they sound true to her ears. But the best thing about it is Do-ha’s response. He takes full advantage of the opportunity to surprise her for once. Only someone who’s used to relying on their ears to detect lies could fall for his unconvincing poker face, but Sol-hee takes him at face value when he says he forgot he has work to do and drops her off at home right after priming her for steak and pasta. Which he then cooks from scratch so he can surprise her with a candlelight dinner. Sol-hee is delighted, and decides she’ll be okay if her abilities don’t return. Cue lots of happy kisses.

Since the main story is pretty much wrapped up by this point, we then spend almost an entire episode convincing Sol-hee’s parents to get back together. Her mom’s latest con has progressed to the point of a marriage proposal, even though she’s physically repulsed by the man, but her feelings get all complicated when she learns that her divorce from Sol-hee’s dad was the result of mutual misunderstandings. With some prodding from Sol-hee, the two go back and forth, hemming and hawing and not wanting to admit they both still care about each other.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/09/my-lovely-liar-episodes-15-16-final/

• 3 months later...

[2023 Year in Review] Serendipities of 2023

by mistyisles

“Life can’t always give you everything you want, but it sometimes hides small gifts here and there.”
Twinkling Watermelon

If there’s one lesson K-dramas like to hammer in over and over, it’s to expect the unexpected. They just love to surprise us — but too often it seems those surprises are of the unwelcome variety. Like a serial killer invading your favorite fluffy rom-com. Or last-minute plot twists that overturn the show’s entire core message.

But in this post, I’ve decided to focus on the *positive* ways that dramaland surprised me this year. Because there are many reasons I keep coming back to K-dramas — even after an ending fizzles out here and a beloved character gets a personality transplant over there — and it’s not (only) for the eye candy!

So, without further ado, here are some of my favorite surprises and discoveries from K-dramas in 2023.

My Lovely Liar

Yes, My Lovely Liar earned my Bean of Disappointment for the way it fumbled the ending and failed to live up to its potential. But there was still a lot to enjoy about most of its run: the leading couple was absolutely adorable together; the show raised important questions about trust, truth, perspective, and codependency; and the gorgeous color palette was a feast for the eyes.

Missed potential and questionable (at best) plot twists aside, I enjoyed Do-ha’s journey from reclusion to active member of his own little community, and the way Sol-hee gently coaxed him out of his shell without trying to push him too far at once or to overstep his boundaries. And, although many of the side characters ranged from annoying to disappointing, there were a few great ones — especially the jazz bar owner and Sol-hee’s faithful employee and friend, Cassandra.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/12/2023-year-in-review-serendipities-of-2023/