Director: Kim Hyung Ju

Producer: Kim Tae won 

Production: MoonLight Film Company 

Co-production: BH Entertainment 

Distributer: ACEMAKER Movieworks

Release: TBD

Language: Korean 

●○ Synopsis 

Set in the 1980s-1990s and based on two legendary players of Go, THE MATCH will tell the story of Cho Hun Hyun and his protégé and future rival Lee Chang Ho.

It is based on the true story of Go legend Cho Hun-hyun and Lee Chang-ho, who were forced to become rivals. Movie “The Match” is going to deeply portray the story of a Go (Baduk) master who eventually teaches everything to his disciple and finally has to compete with him, who may surpass him, and a disciple who has to surpass his teacher.

The term 'Game baduk' used in baduk refers to a formalized game of baduk in which the sole purpose of winning is to set strict rules and demonstrate skill and ability. In other words, it is a game of baduk that gives honor and wealth first to the winner based on strict logic.

●○ Casts 

Lee Byung Hun  is on board to play “The God of War” Cho Hun Hyun, a legendary Go champion, and the first ever Korean to receive 9-dan rank, who began to mentor Lee Chang Ho in the 1980s.

Yoo Ah In is set to play the role of “Stone Buddha” Lee Chang Ho, another legendary Go Champion of 9-dan rank. “Stone Buddha” is one of Lee’s many nicknames. It derives from the fact that he always keeps a straight face during a match. 

[ Note: 9-dan is the master/highest rank in Go (Baduk) board game]

“The Match” is Director Kim Hyung Ju’s first project in three years after “The Sheriff in Town” in 2017, and has begun filming from December 17, 2020. 

Thumnail Image

●○ Director: Kim Hyung Ju 

IMDB //   WIKIPEDIA //  NAVER  //   KOBIS //  ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS 

NETFLIX 

FORUM RULES

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Ephoenix changed the title to [Upcoming Movie 2021] The Match 승부

December 17, 2020

MOON Jung-hee Joins THE MATCH

Nov 11, 2020
  • Writerby Pierce Conran

LEE Byung-hun and YOO Ah-in Headline Competitive Game of Go Drama

QCgpaZEpVKnjiBxNevNw.jpg

MOON Jung-hee has been offered a role alongside LEE Byung-hun and YOO Ah-in in the upcoming drama The Game (translated title). According to news reports, she is positively considering taking on the part in what is quickly shaping up to be one of the most anticipated major films on the horizon.

The film will chronicle the rivalry between CHO Hun-hyun and LEE Chang-ho, two legendary players of the board game Go (also known as baduk in Korea). LEE Byung-hun is set to play CHO, a champion player, while YOO will play LEE, CHO’s protege in the 1980s and later his rival in the following decade. The part MOON is eyeing is said to be of an influential character in CHO Hun-hyun’s life.

A veteran character actress who has impressed in a range of roles over the years, MOON drew particular attention for her scene-stealing turn in HUH Jung’s 2013’s mystery-thriller hit Hide and Seek. Her other major roles include Deranged(2012), Cart (2014) and Pandora (2016). She will be back on screens this week in the crime drama THE DAY I DIED : UNCLOSED CASE alongside KIM Hye-soo

The film is to be directed by KIM Hyung-ju, who previously helmed the crime comedy The Sheriff in Town (2017), and it will be produced by Moonlight Film, the company founded by director YOON Jong-bin, which also backed The Sheriff in Town (2017).

source: Kobiz 

Talented child actor Kim Kang Hoon is rumored to play the young version of Yoo Ah In’s character Lee Chang Ho. 

6-AF8891-D-E851-4-C89-87-E6-20520438280-

source: Naver

• Like 4

I am really looking forward to seeing Lee Byung-hun confront «the student» Yoo Ah-In (actor whom I also really like) this game of Go. The role of «Master» suits him so well! This film should be exciting. Let’s hope that filming goes smoothly and doesn’t get delayed again by Covid.

MAINS-GO.jpg

• Like 4

• Ephoenix changed the title to [Upcoming Movie 2022] The Match 승부

December 18, 2020 

Thanks to @IOxOI on twitter. 

According to this tweet, the upcoming movie “The Match”, which is expected to be released in 2022 (I know! :tears:) will film for 7 rounds (innings) until March next year. The filming location is in Ulju-gun office in Ok-Dong, Nam-ju, Ulsan, and crew were seen decorating the set for the movie. 

As much as it breaks my heart that we have to wait till 2022 to finally be able to watch this movie, I can understand it since Covid has pushed so many movies expected to release this summer. The movie traffic is going to be insane next year with everyone releasing it one after another. We are here for the longest drought.:sweatingbullets: Meanwhile, we will get to enjoy food/coffee trucks posts as usual hopefully and some fan clicked pictures of their transformations if we’re lucky!:D

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

January 21, 2021

Actor Ko Chang Seok is set to play Lee Chang-ho’s (Yoo Ah In’s character) father who owns a Gold Shop in upcoming movie ‘The Match.’ 

847-DD060-1418-4-D06-A555-ECBD314-FF9-CB

pic credit: DCYAI 

758-E4-D5-C-6-DA2-4795-A7-BA-7373-DFBA9-

According to this picture, Lee Byung hun, Yoo Ah In and Ko Chang Seok were filming for the movie from 16-18 January in Seonsan village in Gumi City. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

February 5, 2021 

Distribution company Acemaker movie posted on their IG copying the caption of LBH’s last IG post as well as the pose in the photo by Director Kim hyung Joo, in front of a coffee truck sent by actor Lee Sung Min. They have previously worked together in movie “The SherIff In Town.” The caption says, 

“Following Actor Lee Byung hun, Director Kim Hyung Joo. (Actor Yoo Ah In, please participate in the comments)” 

lol they are so funny.:w00t:

D2-B09713-7-A2-F-4-CC6-BA2-E-05-FC54-FFD

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

March 23, 2021

8-FBBB449-FFF1-4-BBE-BDA5-823-AC2-C6-C08

Actors Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Ah In as legendary Baduk masters Cho Hoon Hyun and Lee Chang Ho respectively spotted at the filming location of their upcoming movie, “The Match.”

Their transformation looks so convincing. Wow. Filming should be done at the end of this month. I hope we’ll get some news of movie crank up soon. Their look made me so excited for the movie. Cant wait! :wub:

Lee Byung Hun as Cho Hoon Hyun 

Spoiler

IMG-20210323-224002.jpg

Spoiler

75-ABCD86-A6-CF-4118-9042-484-CA2-BB7-F9

Yoo Ah In as Lee Chang Ho. 

Spoiler

april-2021-03-23-18-25-31-485.jpg

• Like 4

April 1, 2021 

New pictures of the cake from the final day of filming for The Match.

IMG-20210331-224750.jpg

IMG-20210331-224752.jpg

Also, this new clip of two legendary players on their title match recently shared on YouTube, which is rather funny.:lol:

• Like 2

April 6, 2021

Child Actor Kim Kang Hoon IG update: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNUKJ96jTly/?igshid=12g2jyum85mnj

"THE MATCH Crank up! Thank you for your hard work!"

april-2021-04-06-03-23-20-195.jpg

Screenshot-20210406-173146.jpg

Finally his update confirmed that he is indeed playing a younger version of Yoo Ah in's character Lee Chang Ho, and doing so, reuniting with Actor Lee Byung Hun after Mr. Sunshine. He played a younger version of LBH's character Eugene Choi in the drama. 

Also looks like The Match has officially wrapped up filming now. Earlier on April 3, there was an article that Mayor of Ulsan(the city where The Match crew had been filming) had come to visit on the set of The Match and met with Director Kim Hyung Joo in support of the movie. So I was wondering if the filming was still going on. Seems like they had some part left with the scenes of child actor.

I am really glad the filming for the movie went smoothly. Thank you so much to all casts and crew for their hard work. We are rooting for everyone. See you soon in the movies.:wub:

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

October 29, 2021

Acemaker boards sales on ‘The Match’ starring Lee Byung-hun from ‘Squid Game’

BY JEAN NOH  8 October 2021

spacer.png

SOURCE: ACEMAKER MOVIEWORKS

‘THE MATCH’

South Korea’s Acemaker movieworks is launching international sales on The Match, starring Lee Byung-hun (Squid Game, The Man Standing Next) and Yoo Ah-in (Burning) as an undefeated Go master and his gifted but willful protégé. 

Directed by Kim Hyung-joo (The Sheriff In Town), the film is set in the 1980s competitive world of Go championships (Go is a strategic board game popular in many parts of Asia).

When Lee’s character discovers a gifted but untrained young boy (Yoo) in an amateur contest, he takes him under his wing to turn into a professional player. But conflicts arise when the protege later turns against his teachings.

Produced my Moonlight Film (Money, The Spy Gone North), the film is in post-production.

At the upcoming Asian Contents & Film Market, Acemaker movieworks also will be selling films including Kwak Kyung-taek’s Firefighters, based on a true story, and Lee Il-hyung’s Remember, the Korean remake of Atom Egoyan’s Nazi-hunter drama.

Source:  

https://www.screendaily.com/news/acemaker-boards-sales-on-the-match-starring-lee-byung-hun-from-squid-game/5164118.article

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

December 22, 2022

Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Ah In's 'Match' confirmed to be released on Netflix [Official]

Screenshot_2022-12-22_at_4.13.48_AM.png

Source: Netflix

Netflix has confirmed the worldwide release of the movie 'The Match'.

Netflix has confirmed the worldwide release of the first movie 'The Match' starring Lee Byung Hun  and Yoo Ah In . ‘The Match' is a film depicting the unavoidable match between two Korean Go legends, Cho Hun Hyun  (Lee Byung Hun) and Lee Chang Ho  (Yoo Ah In), who were master and disciple, and rivals. This is the second film by director Kim Hyeong Joo, who succeeded in combining the two.

Baduk is often called a microcosm of life. From who should hold white and who should hold black, to victory or defeat that is mathematically divided by uncountable fire and ‘half-house’ difference. Baduk, where the opponent carefully calculates where to place the next stone, is a fierce battle in which everything that governs humans, such as psychology, brain, and mood according to the atmosphere, acts as a variable. And all those numbers and karate go back and forth on a small checkerboard where black stones and white stones come and go. Objectively, even if they are strong and weak, a hot reversal unfolds depending on the momentum in the actual battle. This is the reason why the drama of the most dynamic 'match' unfolds, although it looks static.

Cho Hun Hyun and Lee Chang Ho. When Go was hotter than the World Cup, the two names who conquered the world are still legends and are still active. Lee Byung Hun, who plays Cho Hun Hyun, who recognizes the talent of 10-year-old Lee Chang Ho and lives with him as a disciple who teaches him right after achieving the world baduk grand slam, plays a teacher with harshness and warmth. Yoo Ah In plays Lee Chang Ho, a disciple who struggles hard to overcome his teacher Cho Hun Hyun, who is like a huge wall.

No matter what genre, story, or character you meet, the two actors who showed their own real feelings and nuances for the first time, are enough reasons to be curious about ‘ The Match'. The appearance of the two actors in the still picture, which captures the moment just before the historic match between the teachers and students begins, adds interest to the tension between the two along with the transformation that seems to have gone back to the 1990s.

‘The Match' is similar to films such as 'Duke', 'Extraordinary Prosecutor', and 'Sheriff', and "Did you eat?" Expectations are added with the production of Wolgwang, a film company that produced the Netflix series 'Suriname', which successfully met global viewers with buzzwords such as, etc. Lee Byung Hun is the second after 'Squid Game', and Yoo Ah In will meet viewers around the world through Netflix again following the movie '#Alive', series 'Hell' and movie 'Seoul Grand Operation', which were released worldwide through Netflix.

The dynamic story of Cho Hun Hyun and Lee Chang Ho, teacher and student becoming rivals, and the anticipated first meeting between Lee Byung Hun and Yoo Ah In, ‘The Match' will be released worldwide only through Netflix.

Source:  http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1112008806

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

January 17, 2023

Korean Movies and Shows Dropping on Netflix in 2023: ‘JUNG_E’, ‘Kill Boksoon’ and More

Credit: Netflix

This year, Netflix is expanding its film offering with six Korean films, beginning with sci-fi thriller JUNG_E on January 20th, followed by Kill Boksoon which depicts a professional killer with conflicting maternal instincts, and Believer 2, a sequel to a crime action thriller centered on drug gangs. Other films deal with themes such as vengeance (Ballerina), teacher-student rivalry (The Match), and hacking (Unlocked).

Source: https://zapzee.net/2023/01/17/korean-movies-and-shows-dropping-on-netflix-in-2023-jung_e-kill-boksoon-and-more/

• Thanks 1

January 17, 2023

Lee Byung Hun promoted his new movie "The Match" which will be released on Netflix on his Instagram 

Screenshot_2023-01-17_at_8.25.39_PM.png

Source: Netflix 

'The Match ' Lee Byung-hun, cautious in front of the checkerboard..."An actor to trust and watch"

Actor Lee Byung-hun promoted the movie 'The Match'.

Lee Byung-hun posted a picture on his Instagram on the 17th.

In the published photo, Lee Byung-hun is wearing a gray suit and playing Go. Lee Byung-hun tagged the movie 'Competition' and released a scene from the movie.

In response, netizens commented, "I want to see you soon", "It's not Lee Byung-hun for nothing", "I'm looking forward to 'match'! I'm also waiting for news of the next project. It's a good visual work", "When will my favorite Byung-hun hyung come out", "Always be healthy" , "Brother, if you're going to do this, just take me. I'm really handsome, so I'm going to die", "An actor you can trust and watch".

Meanwhile, Lee Byung-hun appears in the Netflix original movie 'The Match'. 'Competition' is a film depicting the unavoidable match between Jo Hoon-hyeon (Lee Byung-hun) and Lee Chang-ho (Yoo Ah-in), two legends of Korean baduk who were master and disciple and rivals.

Source:  https://www.starnewskorea.com/stview.php?no=2023011718264950385

• Like 1

Just praying everyday for this movie to be released, With current situation of YAI, it might take a while for Netflix to release it, but that’s completely fine. We can wait. Just having Netflix as its distributor makes me a bit relieved somehow.
I won’t lose hope. :bawling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

December 1, 2023 

[OSEN Exclusive] Lee Byung-hun x Yoo Ah-in's 'The Match', Discussing theatrical release again

76-E95743-1-EED-4-E87-8-E4-B-E35-AC37-BE

It is expected that you will be able to see the Korean movie "The Match," which was scheduled to be released on Netflix, in theaters.

As a result of OSEN's coverage on the 1st, it was reported that Ace Maker Movies, an investment distribution company, had the right to distribute the "The Match," which was planned to be released on Netflix.

Initially, Netflix was planning to purchase "The Match," which was distributed by Ace Maker Movie Works, and release it as an original Netflix film to the world.

However, as Yoo Ah-in's alleged drug case was reported in February this year, Netflix's purchase amount for the work was not transferred to Ace Maker Movie Works. It was positively considered the release of the movie on Netflix in December last year, but the contract between the two sides was not completely signed.

However, Acemaker MovieWorks told OSEN that it is "still in discussions with Netflix."

When asked about the release date of the film according to the trial results of the drug case, which is Yoo Ah In, "The time has not been decided because the case is ongoing and we are not currently discussing it. It can be decided before the judgment or after the judgment. First of all, we're thinking about it," he said.

Netflix declined to comment to OSEN, saying, "It was scheduled to release the 'game', but the release was temporarily postponed."

"The Match" (directed by Kim Hyung-joo, produced by Sawolgwang) is a film about the inevitable confrontation between Cho Hoon-hyun (played by Lee Byung-hun) and Lee Chang-ho (played by Yoo Ah-in), two Korean Go legends who were teachers, students, and rivals. The successful movie "The Sheriff" (2017) was written and directed by Kim Hyung-joo, and was produced by Wolgwang Co., Ltd., a film company.

As it has received attention as the most anticipated film from the casting and production stage, it is clear that the movie will be presented to the audience, but the release date is still undecided.

Source: OsenNaver 

I prayed for this news so much but I am having mixed feelings of both fear and anticipation. Release date has not been decided yet and I think their intention with the release of this news early is to test the water to see the general public reaction maybe. It's a good thing that this movie is a biopic and baduk has a very significant impact in Korean community. I hope this works as an advantage somehow.

Also, Even GQ Korea instantly featured this news, and this line they wrote, "the industry believes that the movie will definitely come out."... gives me so much hope. It would be such a waste of hard work and talent to not release this anticipated work. Like they said, the movie is drifting, but I hope and pray for this movie to find a shore and come victorious. Like it's name. TT

• Ephoenix changed the title to [Upcoming Movie 2024] The Match 승부