[Current Drama 2022 & 2024] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

https://www.theringer.com/2022/3/25/22995996/pachinko-episodes-1-3

Dave Chang (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Chang) and David Choe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Choe) talk about the the new Apple TV show ‘Pachinko,’ which tells the story of an immigrant Korean family across four generations.

Really great podcast where they discuss their experiences as Korean American men and their thoughts on Pachinko.

(They make very endearing/adorable comments about Lee Min Ho too.)

• Like 6
  • Awesome 2

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2022/pachinko-earns-universal-praise-from-critics-on-the-way-to-the-emmys/

yuhjungyoun.jpg?w=620&h=360&crop=1

‘Pachinko’ earns universal praise from critics on the way to the Emmys

Pachinko,” the new Apple TV+ drama series about a Korean immigrant family that spans generations, is earning widespread love from critics. The epic saga comes from the Min Jin Lee novel of the same name and centers on Sunja, who grows up in Japanese-occupied Korea, tracking her life through old age, as well as her family’s lives. Academy Award winner Yuh-Jung Youn stars as the older version of Sunja, in her first onscreen role since winning Best Supporting Actress for “Minari.” The raves for Youn’s performance and the series as a whole might just make “Pachinko” the next Apple project to score with awards voters.

Over 20 TV critics on Rotten Tomatoes have voiced their enthusiasm for “Pachinko,” adding up to a 100% fresh rating. The praise for the family drama is glowing even beyond the typical reviews for a new series, using such words as “miraculous,” “timeless” and “the most impressive series yet on any streamer.” One review even claims that “Pachinko” is “dangerously close to a masterpiece.” Critics praise the series’ ability to weave together the various narrative threads from Sunja’s early life to her twilight years, on top of its commentary on lineage and the changing political landscape.

Youn is also earning a slew of positive mentions for her nuanced performance as older Sunja, who carries the weight of her past experiences. She is expected to contend in Best Supporting Actress at this year’s Emmys, currently placing 12th in our latest Gold Derby odds for a nomination. The series itself has climbed its way up to 16th for Best Drama Series as of the week of its premiere. Other cast members, including Korean superstar Lee Min-Ho and past Emmy nominee Jimmi Simpson, are also among outside contenders, for their performances as Koh Hansu and Tom Andrews, respectively.

If “Pachinko” takes off with audiences following this critical success, it will be the latest in a growing collection of awards players for Apple. The still-relatively-new streamer broke through at the Emmys with “The Morning Show” and found even greater success with “Ted Lasso,” which has now won top prizes at the Emmys, Screen Actors Guild Awards and Critics Choice Awards. They also proved their success in the Oscar race this season with “CODA,” landing three Academy Award nominations including Best Picture. We’re still months away from Emmy nominations, but it’s possible that with “Pachinko,” they may have struck gold yet again.

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

10 hours ago, babypekkle420 said:

They make very endearing/adorable comments about Lee Min Ho too.)

I listened to almost over 1 3/4 hours but only heard one endearing/adorable comment about Lee Min Ho that he refused to dance.  They commented about Hansu but not about LMH.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:23 PM, imgreatgal said:

I’ve missed Lee Gon so actually i was waiting for the premier of this drama to see him again

I have to say this is a good drama and i wasnt really confused with the jumping of of timeline back and forth. 
Anyway i’m here to ask if anyone of you notice in the ‘hot scene’ between Sunja (Kim Min Ha) and Han Soo (Lee Min Ho) its not Lee Min Ho. His side angle looks different from LMH’s 

I cannot believe LMH would not do his own kissing scene.  It is just the angle.  It is just speculation, I think.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:41 AM, syntyche said:

Chingus, drop in your comments and thoughts on the episodes! 

It is really good, great cinematography, story and directing. The characters do an awesome job, all of them.  I did find that the scenes were a little short, I do not mind the going back and forth but wished each scene was longer especially the scenes with Hansu and Sunja.  I wanted more sexuality between Hansu and Sunja, like in the book :love:, thought the hot scene was too short. :blush:

LMH and Min Ha has great chemistry.  I was a bit disappointed that LMH only had a few scenes in Episode 3, I was expecting much more.  LMH did not disappoint, hot and awesome.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 2

[Interview] Pachinko Lee Min Ho, "After 13 years of listening to 'Flower Boy', I feel like I've been born again"

Enter 2022.03.30
Reporter Yang So Yeon

0004942033_001_20220330070201056.JPG?typ

Actor Lee Min Ho (35) said he felt free because of the experience he gained through the global Pachinko project.

In the Apple TV+ original series Pachinko, Lee Min Ho took on the role of the mysterious and charismatic Han Soo, who changes his trajectory as he enters the life of a teenager. Based on the New York Times bestseller of the same name, Pachinko is a story that begins with forbidden love and paints an unforgettable chronicle of war and peace, love and separation, victory and judgment as it travels back and forth between Korea. , Japan and USA. It tenderly and warmly reflects the hopes and dreams of Korean immigrant families.

Lee Min Ho joined 'Pachinko' through an audition for the first time in 13 years since 'Boys Over Flowers'. He said, “After 13 years, I forgot about the audition. The audition was more than just watching the game, it was a job to get a deep understanding of the person's values and inclinations and fit the character. So I thought about auditioning again. I thought that such a system could be reasonable and good. It was good for me personally because it wasn't a job where the face was known or famous or fit the existing image.

When asked if he chose "pachinko" for his makeover, Lee Min Ho, who has been called the "King of Rock", replied, "I never chose a job because I wanted to look cool in the romantic comedy genre." many images were created,” he said.

He continued, “I chose this work because there is a part of it that resonates with the story of this character. I was more attracted to the character than the concept of image change. At the same time, if I showed you a cool male character with a lot of fantasy elements in a thoughtful frame, this time it's a more realistic and desperate character than any other character, so he attracted me in that regard. . I didn't approach it because I wanted to change my image," he stressed.

Regarding Hansoo's ambitious character, he said, "I wanted to express a person who is the polar opposite, where a person who is expressed as absolute good lives as absolute evil. Hans' sympathy arose from the moment he first saw the script. I wondered what it would have been like in that era, and I wondered if I, too, would have made a choice like Hans. To survive, I had to be desperate, sometimes I had to step on someone, but in this respect I felt sympathy and affection.”

Also, regarding the songja's romance in the play, "I hoped it wouldn't be a simple romance or a melodrama. "I tried to show that Hansoo wanted something for the first time, and when I got this object, I tried to focus on his own path."

0004942033_002_20220330070201093.JPG?typ

Was there any burden and responsibility associated with historical facts? He said, "Because this is a character with a real historical background, I had the idea to explore more in terms of authenticity and express it in a line that doesn't deviate as much as possible. I thought a lot about that moment where I could feel like a human being," - he said.

Regarding the human rights of Zainichi (Koreans or Koreans living in Japan): “This is a very difficult issue. When I came across a number of historical events or records, I felt the feelings or human rights of those who were not even recorded. While there are things that can be recorded around the world, there are also stories of victims who didn't. I think knowing and empathizing with the stories of those who are marginalized in today's busy society is something we should be striving for for the better and for the next generation."

Regarding the dialogue in Korean, English and Japanese in the play, he said, “I felt a lot of language difficulties. It was not easy to act expressing emotions in lines in a language other than communication, and I thought I should try harder in the future.” “Mostly everyone spoke English. It was a new experience for me to communicate with someone who speaks English and someone who speaks Japanese together in their mother tongue,” he said.

"Pachinko" was well received by local media in the US even before its release. Rolling Stone said: "He touches on the subject in an artistic and elegant way. The density of the original novel and the video's unique strengths were perfectly combined." The Hollywood Reporter called it "a timeless story that shakes the heart."

He said, “Many national reporters watched it and they all said they liked it. I was surprised that there were only such high praises that I doubted it. The best reaction was that it was "this is a must see". The reason I wanted to be involved in this work was so that I could understand this story, because it is about people living outside of time, and I think they liked it.”

He also mentioned the global popularity of K-content along with the popularity of the films "Parasite" and "Minari" and the drama "Squid Game".

He said, “I interviewed in different countries for two days and I seem to have realized the attention and popularity of K content. I didn't start with the dream of becoming a Hallyu star when I had the dream of becoming an actor, but I think I'm doing my best in this situation where I have to keep quiet. In that regard, Pachinko seems to have been able to garner positive reviews by focusing on the strength and credibility of the story rather than the fact that it is a masterpiece and has a global scope."

About Pachinko, Lee Min Ho said, "It was a job that gave me freedom." Of course, this is also a work that I worked on with a new approach after listening. I felt freer than ever. I tried to concentrate as much as possible on the meaning of the work, and it was work free from the burden that I personally carried. It was a job that could be a fresh start for the next 10 years of my acting career."

"Pachinko" consists of 8 episodes, starting with 3 episodes on the 25th and releasing one episode every Friday until April 29th.

Translation from Korean google
https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/009/0004942033

• Like 5

17 hours ago, CallieP said:

I listened to almost over 1 3/4 hours but only heard one endearing/adorable comment about Lee Min Ho that he refused to dance.  They commented about Hansu but not about LMH.

Oh its a long episode so I understand not listening to the whole thing but at some point, they mention that they were unfamiliar with the actor before this but found him to be so dreamy and attractive. I guess it could be perceived as a comment about Hansu, not LMH, I didn't think that deeply about it haha. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
  • Awesome 1

APPLE TV'S 'PACHINKO' ADAPTATION: BOP OR FLOP?

03-29-2022 by Jessica Espinoza

pachinko.webp

Pachinko is a novel by Min Jin Lee published back in 2017 about a Korean family that immigrates to Japan and takes place over the course of several generations in the 20th Century. The novel was a finalist for the National Book Award for Fiction before it was picked up by Apple TV+ to bring it from page to screen.

The novel is separated into 3 sections, starting with Book One, where we are introduced to this small Korean family in the 1910s that faces many and one misfortune: Only one out of three children born to the parents of the clan, Hoonie and Yangjin, survive at all. That is our protagonist, Sunja. After a little more hardship, Sunja finds herself in Osaka, Japan, where she learns fairly quickly that Koreans will get the short end of the stick in the country.

After some time, Book Two starts with Sunja and her two kids, who are still in Japan and still struggling financially. At the beginning of World War II, they receive financial help from a restaurant owner, Kim Changho. And after a great twist of events with the true owner of the restaurant, Sunja ends up in the countryside and working at a factory in Nagasaki.

That is where Books One and Two end; we will spare any potential spoilers for those who are only watching the TV series!

"Pachinko — Official Trailer | Apple TV+" in YouTube

To tell this story on-screen, American, Japanese, and Korean producers were included on the creative team to make sure this novel gets the best possible representation. Not just that, but Korean-Americans Justin Chon and Kongonada serve as co-directors on this project.

This multigenerational story came out this past Friday (March 25) and there hasn’t been enough conversation about it since. The series stars iconic Korean actor Lee Min-ho as Koh Hansu and introduces actress Kim Min-ha as a teenage Sunja. Her older version is played by Oscar-winner Youn Yuh-jung.

The casting was so great, in fact, that it's had viewers rooting for a character they originally hated in the novel!

The opening title sequence did receive a lot of talk for its music and its psychedelic feel while a collage of pictures of past and present Korea glides through the screen.

"Pachinko — Opening Title Sequence | Apple TV+" in YouTube

Showrunner, creator, and executive producer Soo HughtoldDeadline, “Originally in the script is a different song, a Rolling Stones song. That was an expensive song. The Rolling Stones. Go figure.”

For the opening shot, the audience is shown a graphic explanation of how Japan occupied Korea starting in 1910. A woman is facing a hut secluded out in the woods: “Japan-occupied Korea 1915.” As the episode continues, we meet Korean-American banker Soloman Baek, who has come to the conclusion that his loyalty is being tested by a Japanese businessman Katsu Abe, since their countries are known to have historical tension. While this may be such a trivial idea to many who haven’t shared the same experience, many Koreans and Japanese people still face generational trauma from their historical disputes.

“When you look at the world around us, these are still things we’re grappling with,” Hugh told NBC News. “It’s still happening. And it just makes you realize just how timeless of a tale this is.”

The series will have 8 episodes total, it will span 70 years, three languages, and multiple cultures. Sunja's hardships are not softened in the series, as she struggles through the Japanese’s attempts to irradicate Korean culture while in Korea and then faces mistreatment as a Korean in Japan.

Director Justin Chon tells NBC, “You can see, in the worst of situations, the human spirit is so beautifully wanting to survive and live and create life and protection for their family.” Chon also shares with Forbes how working with two directors will make this story a lot more interesting, with little to no discrepancies. “We used the same sets, the same wardrobe, the same cameras, so there is a look that is set in that way, but I think that’s what’s incredible about this show is the liberty that Soo afforded us, in terms of bringing our own styles, and I think that was very designed. Kogonada is setting up the story in Episodes 1, 2, and 3, and then allowing me to take off in Episode 4 and just shake things up and approach it from more of a radical perspective. I think the story structure allows for it.”

Through masterfully-executed time jumps and seamless transitions between directors, the scenes play out almost verbatim as they do in the book. It is not hard to become invested in the storyline of the protagonist, Sunja, even if you had no familiarity with the source material until the series came out.

The intricacy of the story is captivating for those who love character-centric stories, but if you need a little more, the scenes and cinematography are a spectacle that should not be missed. If you can’t take our word for it, listen to Twitter!

The first 3 episodes of "Pachinko" are now streaming on AppleTV+, with new episodes dropping every Friday.

https://younghollywood.com/scene/apple-tv-s-pachinko-adaptation-bop-or-flop.html

• Like 5

In the photo of Lee Min Ho and his beloved son in the new film, it turned out that this is a very familiar child from the Korean blockbuster.

Caught Han Soo (Lee Min Ho) with his son in pachinko.

As Lee Min Ho's next project after The King: Eternal Monarch, Pachinko has captured the attention of many viewers with its captivating details and impressive scenes. According to recent developments, Song Ja (Kim Min Ha) got pregnant after dating Han Soo (Lee Min Ho) several times. However, instead of marrying the girl he fell in love with, he abruptly revealed that he already has a wife and two daughters in his hometown, so he didn't remarry but agreed to provide for Sun Ja and the kids.

Spoiler

-16486326370721001763459.jpg

Most recently on the MXH forum, they suddenly shared a photo of Soon Ja and Han Soo's son. In the photo, a father and a young son are walking side by side in the middle of the street. The two seemed rather distant as Han Su coldly shoved his hands into his pockets as the boy continued to stare at his father. According to research, the boy in the photo is named Noah (played by Park Jae Joon).

photo-1-16486325357541369132723.jpg

-16486324871451421913697.jpg

The cast of the movie also includes child star Park Jae Joon.

Speaking specifically about this child, who was born in 2014, the boy has joined the Korean entertainment industry from 2007 to the present and mostly only plays supporting roles. In the past few years, Park Jae Joon has consistently appeared in popular series across Asia such as Hi Bye Mama, Oh My Baby, Hospital Playlist 2 and most recently Thirty Nine. However, he only took on a minor role, appearing briefly in a few episodes.

Possessing a petite handsome appearance, Park Jae Joon is also loved for his natural acting, sweet words, and the hard work and dedication of an 8-year-old boy.

photo-1-1648633203588543651684.jpg

Spoiler

photo-1-16486332384571958991112.jpg

So, although it is not known how long Park Jae Joon's character will appear in the film, what his personality and circumstances are, viewers have been looking forward to the appearance of this child star as Lee Min Ho's son in the series. show screen.

Netizen comment:

- The baby is so cute!

- It's father and son.

- My husband now has a son in the movies!

- This baby is very cute.

- I'm so in love, looking forward to this part.

Source: Pachinko, compilation

In Pachinko, Lee Min Ho plays Han Soo, a henchman of the Japanese who, despite having a wife and three children, still sneaks around with the village girl Sun Ja (Kim Min Ha). Pachinko is based on the book of the same name by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin, revolving around the story of 4 generations of a Korean family living in Japan during World War II. In a foreign land, they have to face many prejudices, simultaneously experience love and separation, but still not give up their hopes and dreams.

Spoiler

photo-1-16486399166561885789667.jpg

photo-1-16486398715361730797920.png

-16486395363391050761017.jpg

Pachinko consists of eight episodes and airs every Friday on Apple+.

Translation from Vietnamese google
https://m.kenh14.vn/lo-anh-lee-min-ho-va-con-trai-cung-o-phim-moi-hoa-ra-la-mot-nhoc-ti-cuc-quen-cua-loat-bom-tan-xu-han-20220330164344522.chn

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

Apple TV Plus has a new must-watch series with 98% on Rotten Tomatoes

New Apple TV Plus drama is hailed as a masterpiece by critics

Apple TV Plus appears to be on mission to prove its more than a Ted Lasso service in 2022. The often overlooked streaming platform is having a very strong start to the year.

Shows like The Afterparty and Severance have impressed, and original movie CODA just won Best Picture at the Oscars. Apple TV Plus is showing no signs of slowing down either, as it’s just got another must-watch series. 

Pachinko is a new drama series that just premiered on Apple TV Plus (which has three stellar entries in our list of the new movies and shows to watch in April) It’s based on The New York Times bestselling novel of the same name, and chronicles the struggles of a Korean family across four generations as they leave their homeland and immigrate to Japan in the hopes of a better life. Pachinko was created by Soo Hugh and stars Yuh-Jung Youn, Lee Min-ho, Minha Kim, Jin Ha and Soji Arai.

The first three episodes of the eight-part drama series hit Apple TV Plus last week, and the show is already enjoying rave reviews. The critical reception has been nothing short of glowing with Pachinko currently rated 98% on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes. Top critics have showered the series with praise calling it a “masterpiece” and a “strong shout for the most satisfying TV of the year so far.” 

The response from viewers to the initial three episodes has been equally positive. On Rotten Tomatoes the audience score is currently at an impressive 93%; it’s a similar story over on IMDb with Pachinko scoring 8.5 out of 10 (IMDb scores are generally harsher than RT). Furthermore, each episode has been rated higher than the last, which would suggest the show is only getting better as its first season unfolds. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/apple-tv-plus-has-a-new-must-watch-series-with-98-on-rotten-tomatoes

• Like 4
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

• syntyche changed the title to [Current Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming now on Apple TV+
7 hours ago, nina_mitrokhina said:

In the photo of Lee Min Ho and his beloved son in the new film, it turned out that this is a very familiar child from the Korean blockbuster.

Caught Han Soo (Lee Min Ho) with his son in pachinko.

As Lee Min Ho's next project after The King: Eternal Monarch, Pachinko has captured the attention of many viewers with its captivating details and impressive scenes. According to recent developments, Song Ja (Kim Min Ha) got pregnant after dating Han Soo (Lee Min Ho) several times. However, instead of marrying the girl he fell in love with, he abruptly revealed that he already has a wife and two daughters in his hometown, so he didn't remarry but agreed to provide for Sun Ja and the kids.

Most recently on the MXH forum, they suddenly shared a photo of Soon Ja and Han Soo's son. In the photo, a father and a young son are walking side by side in the middle of the street. The two seemed rather distant as Han Su coldly shoved his hands into his pockets as the boy continued to stare at his father. According to research, the boy in the photo is named Noah (played by Park Jae Joon).

The cast of the movie also includes child star Park Jae Joon.

Speaking specifically about this child, who was born in 2014, the boy has joined the Korean entertainment industry from 2007 to the present and mostly only plays supporting roles. In the past few years, Park Jae Joon has consistently appeared in popular series across Asia such as Hi Bye Mama, Oh My Baby, Hospital Playlist 2 and most recently Thirty Nine. However, he only took on a minor role, appearing briefly in a few episodes.

Possessing a petite handsome appearance, Park Jae Joon is also loved for his natural acting, sweet words, and the hard work and dedication of an 8-year-old boy.

So, although it is not known how long Park Jae Joon's character will appear in the film, what his personality and circumstances are, viewers have been looking forward to the appearance of this child star as Lee Min Ho's son in the series. show screen.

Netizen comment:

- The baby is so cute!

- It's father and son.

- My husband now has a son in the movies!

- This baby is very cute.

- I'm so in love, looking forward to this part.

Source: Pachinko, compilation

In Pachinko, Lee Min Ho plays Han Soo, a henchman of the Japanese who, despite having a wife and three children, still sneaks around with the village girl Sun Ja (Kim Min Ha). Pachinko is based on the book of the same name by Korean-American writer Lee Min-jin, revolving around the story of 4 generations of a Korean family living in Japan during World War II. In a foreign land, they have to face many prejudices, simultaneously experience love and separation, but still not give up their hopes and dreams.

Pachinko consists of eight episodes and airs every Friday on Apple+.

Translation from Vietnamese google

2 hours ago, syntyche said:

Apple TV Plus has a new must-watch series with 98% on Rotten Tomatoes

New Apple TV Plus drama is hailed as a masterpiece by critics

Apple TV Plus appears to be on mission to prove its more than a Ted Lasso service in 2022. The often overlooked streaming platform is having a very strong start to the year.

Shows like The Afterparty and Severance have impressed, and original movie CODA just won Best Picture at the Oscars. Apple TV Plus is showing no signs of slowing down either, as it’s just got another must-watch series. 

Pachinko is a new drama series that just premiered on Apple TV Plus (which has three stellar entries in our list of the new movies and shows to watch in April) It’s based on The New York Times bestselling novel of the same name, and chronicles the struggles of a Korean family across four generations as they leave their homeland and immigrate to Japan in the hopes of a better life. Pachinko was created by Soo Hugh and stars Yuh-Jung Youn, Lee Min-ho, Minha Kim, Jin Ha and Soji Arai.

The first three episodes of the eight-part drama series hit Apple TV Plus last week, and the show is already enjoying rave reviews. The critical reception has been nothing short of glowing with Pachinko currently rated 98% on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes. Top critics have showered the series with praise calling it a “masterpiece” and a “strong shout for the most satisfying TV of the year so far.” 

The response from viewers to the initial three episodes has been equally positive. On Rotten Tomatoes the audience score is currently at an impressive 93%; it’s a similar story over on IMDb with Pachinko scoring 8.5 out of 10 (IMDb scores are generally harsher than RT). Furthermore, each episode has been rated higher than the last, which would suggest the show is only getting better as its first season unfolds. 

tumblr-55e929ec1896b686fa94d6da6f67bf34-

@syntyche , 

@nina_mitrokhina chingu.. Hansu's 7-year-old son (I guess) Noa, is incredibly cute. actually, he's too cute. :D thanks for sharing the information with us, it was very informative. :D

tumblr-3ef289fa5b4e1012d6ec1e7f989e3eeb-

• Like 11

Spoiler

On 3/27/2022 at 8:41 PM, syntyche said:

Chingus, drop in your comments and thoughts on the episodes! 

tumblr-febb226ed57e32ce9ee715e33076189c-

"neither had realized the loneliness each had lived with for such a long time until the loneliness was interrupted by genuine affection." -Min Jin Lee, Pachinko. at the beginning of her speech she quoted a line from 'Pachinko'.

this book was a sensation when it came out in 2017. :D it won a bunch of awards, Roxanne Gay called it her best book of the year, it was on a ton of best of lists. it follows four generations of a Korean family that emigrates to Japan. Apple bought the rights back in 2018 so it's been a long time in the making. The Terror's co-showrunner Soo Hugh is the showrunner, writer and an executive producer and it stars Youn Yuh Jung, Lee Min Ho, Kim Min Ha, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai and others. :D

tumblr-ed2b964770aa2217aeed0ac7fc6cc218-

source

https://www.minjinlee.com/book/

https://www.apple.com/my/apple-tv-plus/

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

‘Not as romantic or soft’: Why Lee Min-ho wanted to play the anti-hero in Pachinko

The South Korean superstar also tells CNA Lifestyle he tried to "provide as much authenticity as possible" while taking on the role of Hansu in Apple TV+'s sweeping epic.

lee-min-ho.jpg?itok=8F7j7JoT

Genevieve Sarah Loh
01 Apr 2022

From the outset, Pachinko might not be your typical massive international hit K-drama. It’s not Squid Game, and it’s certainly not Crash Landing On You.

What it is, though, is a sumptuous, sweeping historical drama series that boasts South Korea’s first Best Supporting Actress Oscar winner Youn Yuh-jung, a charismatic newbie in Kim Min-ha and a certain actor named Lee Min-ho. And it's gaining critical acclaim.

Apple TV+’s adaption of the 2017 bestselling novel by Lee Min-jin tells the story of Korean immigrants living in Japan between 1910 and today, a family saga that explores the effects of poverty, abuse, war, suicide, and the accumulation of wealth on multiple generations.

And it is the very chance to study and journey through this rich and heart-wrenching part of Korean history, that made Korean A-lister Lee want to be part of this epic drama series.

We asked the 34-year-old actor who shot to fame with 2009's Boys Over Flowers what it felt like to revisit his country's painful past when preparing to take on the role as wealthy fishbroker Hansu.

“I feel the pressure,” he told CNA Lifestyle. “So I really tried my best to study the period and also understand how people live in that period, so as to provide as much as authenticity as possible.”

He added: “When it comes to projects that are based on history and based on past doings, then I tend to think that it's even more important that we become really careful.”

pachinko_1.jpg?itok=57ag-7Ma

With critics and fans alike lauding Pachinko, Lee’s choice of giving it all and auditioning for a role that is so different from his usual good-guy leading man idol roles seems to be paying off.

So how does it feel like playing the anti-hero for a change?

“I’m always up for the challenge of new characters as an actor. And I always have this thirst for new characters,” said Lee.

“And I think yes, Hansu might not be as romantic or as handsome or as soft as the other characters that I used to play. But his way of surviving during those desperate times really resonated with me. And I think he had to do what he had to and that itself is pretty much heartbreaking for me.”

Heartbreaking enough that Lee poignantly feels the similarities between himself and the character he plays.

“Hansu and I are the same when it comes to our goals,” he shared. “When I have a goal I want to achieve, I would do anything to achieve it without any hesitation.”

He declared: “So actually, Hansu is one of those characters that will just stay on my mind for quite a long time.”

Indeed, a big statement from an actor who carved his teeth and gained insane fame playing heartthrobs and leading men in popular K-dramas and movies, which also include The Heirs and, more recently, The King: Eternal Monarch, Gangnam Blues and Bounty Hunters.

pachinko_3.jpg?itok=KqUQar7O

With this massive leap into an international production such as Pachinko, will we see more Hollywood shows in the Korean superstar’s future?

“Yes, I think we now live in a world where there are no silos,” he shared earnestly.  “Like one day I'll be watching Spanish dramas, and the next day I’d watch something Taiwanese.”

He continued: “So anything that would have a good storyline and if a project needs me and calls for me, and I'm sure that I can do a good job of it, then it doesn't matter if it's a Singaporean production or Korean production or an American production.”

If that was a hint, then you heard it here first. Watch out for Lee Min-ho, hopefully coming to a Singapore production near you.

Pachinko is currently streaming on Apple TV+

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/entertainment/lee-minho-pachinko-apple-tv-k-drama-308556

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

LeeMinHo appears on the cover of The Star's StarLifeStyle on 31 March 2022.

"Pachinko has a very powerful story. And when it’s such a strong story, I am willing to take on any type of roles, even if it is a villain. He’s much more multi-layered than just simply a villain."

via cpjing8888

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Spoiler

spacer.png

• Like 5