[Current Drama 2022 & 2024] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

The 21 Most-Anticipated New Scripted TV Shows Coming in 2021

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/the-21-most-anticipated-new-scripted-tv-shows-coming-in-2021

From reboots and sequels to Oscar, Emmy and Tony winners fronting high-profile new streaming shows, The Hollywood Reporter surveys the programming that will be the talk of the town in the year ahead. 

Here, in a bid to navigate the Peak TV waters, THR picks the 21 most-anticipated new scripted TV shows coming in 2021. Some are safe bets (FX's Impeachment, the lone returning show from last year's list). Many are based on proven concepts with a fresh twist (Bel-Air, The Mighty Ducks). Others are bold and expensive swings based on beloved books (Pachinko), fascinating people (The Dropout) or the life of a well-known star (Dad, Stop Embarrassing Me) people. And yes, some are actually original ideas (a new Tina Fey comedy).

Pachinko (Apple)
Based on Min Jin Lee's New York Times best-selling novel, the big-budget epic drama begins with a forbidden love and crescendos into a sweeping saga that journeys between Korea, Japan and America to tell the story of war and peace, love and loss, triumph and reckoning. The series will be told in three languages (Korean, Japanese and English) and produced across multiple continents. Lee Min-ho (Boys Over Flowers), Jin Ha (Devs), Anna Sawai (Fast & Furious 9), Minha Kim (After Spring), Soji Arai (Cobra Kai) and Kaho Minami (Angel Dust) star.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 2
  • Blob 2

Here's my question about Hansu's father in law.  Why did he accept Hansu?  HIs looks may be ambiguous, but at the end of the day, Hansu was 100% Korean.  surely, a Japanese man could have been found to marry his daughter. I think it would be relatively easy to find a husband for his daughter.  Hansu wasn't anything special nor was Hansu born into a prominent Korean family.  I need to have a convo with Min Jin Lee lol:lol:

• Like 4

@CarolynH I think it wasn't so easy for Hansu's father in law to marry his daughter to someone with the ability and the wit to take over his business, because it is a dirty business, so not everybody would be willing to be involved in that. Also, the son in law needed to be an intelligent person but above all, he needed to be loyal, so he didn't take over the business before Hansu's father in law decided to step aside. And that balance could be difficult to find in a Japanese, but a Korean would feel indebted for the chance. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

In 2020, Korean content has grown significantly with video distribution services such as Netflix. This was the year that famous actors like Hyunbin and Lee Minho were outstanding, but will their momentum continue in 2021? Let's take a look at the next work of the actors called "Hanryu BIG4".

It can be said that 2020 was the year that the word "problems and difficulties" is better suited than any other time due to the economic stagnation caused by the new corona virus.

In South Korea, events such as concerts and fan meetings were canceled and the steps of the audience heading to the theaters became heavier, causing the film industry to freeze.

In the meantime, there have been changes in viewing styles such as movies and dramas, and it is also true that Korean content has achieved significant growth thanks to video distribution services such as Netflix.

It is expected that in 2021 one after another will be released films and dramas of "masterpiece actors" that are gaining popularity not only in Korea but also abroad, and especially the long-awaited Hanryu BIG4 action plan. Try.

Lee Min Ho

leeminho200428-3.jpg

"The King," where Lee Min Ho was a master of romance (Image Source: King's Official Website)

With outstanding looks, stable acting ability and a strong fan base, "Top-Class Actor" Lee Min Ho has returned to drama in 2020.

The drama "The King: Eternal Sovereign", which is distributed via Netflix, is the first work chosen by Lee Min Ho, who has been working as a social worker instead of the army since the call was canceled. This piece attracted a lot of attention on reuniting with the Uni writer.

This work is a romantic work with a parallel world in the background, and Lee Min Ho enthusiastically performed the science emperor of the Korean Empire, Lee Gong, during the play. His eyes, staring at actress Kim Gown, were "romantic" and he was considered "masters of romance."

It has been confirmed that Lee Min Ho will appear in the American Apple TV + drama Pachinko as his next work.

"Pachinko" is based on the bestselling book of the same name by Korean writer Lee Min Jin in the United States and is produced by internationally renowned performers such as actress Minami Kaho from Japan in Korean, Japanese and English. This is a global project that is conducted in different languages.

Lee Min Ho plays Hans, a merchant who acquired wealth and power by joining with the Yakuza in the play. This has become an important part of the story, and the crew's expectations and public interest are focused on Lee Min Ho who expresses it.

Translation from Japanese google

https://danmee.jp/knews/koreandrama/koreanactor-topic-92/

• Like 6

On 12/27/2020 at 10:20 PM, CarolynH said:

I have finally finished reading Pachinko!  I have a question that I'll put in a spoiler in case anyone hasn't finished reading the novel.

Reveal hidden contents

Does it make sense that Noa commits suicide?  He had a wife and 3 kids.  Do you think anything would have been different had Sunja told Noa who is biological father was when Noa was young?  I think it might have made a difference.  

Okay I will cry. (I don't know how to hidden it on here like a spoiler sorry)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Okay I will cry. (I don't know how to hidden it on here like a spoiler sorry)

To me, Noah's act also seems strange and illogical, because he had obligations to his family. The only explanation is the notorious oriental sense of "shame" and the concept of "family honor". They still play a huge role in the lives of Koreans. It is difficult for us foreigners to understand what it is.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, nina_mitrokhina 5misnina said:

To me, Noah's act also seems strange and illogical, because he had obligations to his family. The only explanation is the notorious oriental sense of "shame" and the concept of "family honor". They still play a huge role in the lives of Koreans. It is difficult for us foreigners to understand what it is.

Yes, it's the only thing that makes sense.  But wasn't Noh a hypocrite, because he ended up in the same business as Hansu?  I don't think he has a right to judge.  Noh never spoke to Hansu to understand why Hansu married a Japanese woman and became involved in the business.  Isak's family was different; i think, better off than Hansu's.

• Like 1

Lee Min-ho, ... are global

Eq7S9oFVEAA6PO3?format=jpg&name=small

In 2021, stars' global moves will continue. Stars who have developed their reputation based on Hallyu content are not stopping their energetic steps toward the world stage. Lee Min-ho, ... took the lead.

Lee Min-ho is also heading to the global OTT. The US Apple TV+ drama 'Pachinko' will be staged. It is a story of a Korean immigrant family who passed through four generations of ups and downs. Although Apple TV+ is not yet available in Korea, Lee Min-ho has a chance to reaffirm his reputation as a Hallyu star as Apple TV+ is an OTT with a global distribution network.

https://sports.donga.com/article/all/20210104/104765614/3

• Like 6

On 1/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, nina_mitrokhina 5misnina said:

Yeah that is very true.

• Like 3

Snowdrop and Pachinko star Korean dramas in 2021

tlbsxqqyymlc7yskdwhu.jpg

As we enter the new year 2021, Korean drama series from a variety of genres await you. These dramas also starred such stars as Park Shin Hye, Song Joong Ki, and Lee Min Ho.

Pachinko

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBNIB-8jYsw/?igshid=6loyp35xc1tf

This dramatic adaptation of Lee Min Jin's novel follows four generations of Korean immigrant families and their travels in Korea, Japan and the United States. Lee Min Ho will play Hansu, a wealthy and influential merchant with ties to organized crime. Hansu has an opportunistic character, preoccupied with his own desires, he is mysterious but also romantic.

Pachinko also plays world-class stars such as Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Kim Min Ha, Soji Arai and Kaho Minami. The drama will air in 2021 on Apple TV +.

Translated from Indonesian google

https://m.kumparan.com/kumparank-pop/snowdrop-sampai-pachinko-deretan-drama-korea-bertabur-bintang-di-2021-1ut2aeEU7K6

• Like 2

10 Korean Dramas Set to Release in 2021, Lee Min Ho's Return!

Linda Hasibuan, CNBC Indonesia
06 January 2021

pachinko-1_169.jpeg?w=360&q=90

Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia - Admittedly, the hype of Korean drama (drakor) cannot be denied. The popularity of Korean dramas has reached all over the world, and many have also received top marks.
There are many new dramas coming out this year. Here are 10 of them, according to The Independent.

1. Pachinko

This drama tells the story of Korean immigrants who have lived in Japan from 1910 to the present day. It is a family story that explores the effects of poverty, abuse, war, suicide and the accumulation of wealth over generations.

Lee Min Ho is said to be starring in this drama. This will be Apple's first television debut in Hollywood.

Acting as a merchant associated with the yakuza, Lee Min Ho will play a man involved in a forbidden love that has enormous consequences. The drama will also feature Korean-American actor Jin Ha and Japanese-New Zealand actress Anna Sawa.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, this Pachinko drama was probably shot with a big budget and became one of AppleTV's most expensive projects. It is reported that the filming process has been underway since October 2020.

pachinko_169.jpeg?w=620

translate from indonesian google

https://www.cnbcindonesia.com/lifestyle/20210106135016-33-213884/10-drama-korea-siap-rilis-di-2021-lee-min-ho-comeback-loh

• Like 8

On 1/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, CarolynH said:

But wasn't Noh a hypocrite, because he ended up in the same business as Hansu?

I wouldn't say that he was in the same business as Hansu.  Pachinko is affiliated with the yakuza, but Noa wasn't a gangster, in my opinion.

The yakuza are members of organized crime syndicates based in Japan—in other words, gangsters. Hansu and Kim Changho are associated with yakuza organizations, and the pachinko industry traditionally has yakuza ties as well, so the livelihoods of both Sunja’s sons are linked to the yakuza to some degree. Because Koreans are so heavily discriminated against in employment, some Koreans work for the yakuza and yakuza-affiliated industries out of desperation. Even though Yoseb suspects and despises Hansu’s yakuza ties before anyone else does, the family relies on Hansu’s connections to regain their property and rebuild their home after the war. The suspicion of yakuza contamination sinks Solomon’s real estate deal at the end of the book.  source

“Yakuza are the filthiest people in Japan. They are thugs; they are common criminals. They frighten shopkeepers; they sell drugs; they control prostitution; and they hurt innocent people. All the worst Koreans are members of these gangs. I took money for my education from a yakuza, and you thought this was acceptable? I will never be able to wash this dirt from my name. You can’t be very bright,” he said. “How can you make something clean from something dirty? And now, you have made me dirty,” Noa said quietly, as if he was learning this as he was saying it to her. “All my life, I have had Japanese telling me that my blood is Korean— that Koreans are angry, violent, cunning, and deceitful criminals. All my life, I had to endure this. I tried to be as honest and humble as Baek Isak was; I never raised my voice. But this blood, my blood is Korean, and now I learn that my blood is yakuza blood. I can never change this, no matter what I do. It would have been better if I were never born. How could you have ruined my life? How could you be so imprudent? A foolish mother and a criminal father. I am cursed.”

Question: why is the working title "Eleos" and not "Pachinko?"  Have they changed the story so much?  Why not keep the original title?  Will "Eleos" play a role in the story?

In ancient Athens, Eleos was the personification of pity, mercy, clemency, and compassion.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, nina_mitrokhina 5misnina said:

There was a mistake in the article - "Eleos" is the name of another film, which is also being filmed in Korea:

https://www.imdb.com/find?q=Eleos&ref_=nv_sr_sm

https://bbs.ruliweb.com/mobile/board/300008/read/2185303

but this picture of the crew of pachinko says eleos on the board. im confused now

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks!
  • Like 1

It is strange if two US films with the same title are being shot at the same time. The plot of the second film is very different from "Pachinko":  A man lurks the night alleys, killing people at random, he feels nothing, no emotion, and no pain; when he meets a graceful widow he must confront what it means to be human.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11985484/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It is difficult to understand why it was necessary to change the name, which has become classic?!