[Drama 2021] My Name, 마이네임

larus

The trailers look great, and so does So Hee. I think this will be one of her best roles, along with the role of Yeo Da Kyung in The World of the Married. These powerful characters suit her more than the Yoo Na Bi role in Nevertheless (even though she did as well as she could with that too).

Can't wait for the My Name premiere.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Watch: Han So Hee Singlehandedly Takes Down A Crowd Of Mobsters In Exciting Sneak Peek Of Her And Ahn Bo Hyun’s Drama “My Name”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 25, 2021
by E. Cha

Netflix has shared an action-packed sneak peek of its upcoming drama “My Name”!

“My Name” (previously known as “Undercover” or “Nemesis”) will tell the story of Yoon Ji Woo (played by Han So Hee), a woman who joins an organized crime ring and, under their direction, infiltrates the police as an undercover agent in order to uncover the truth behind her father’s death. Ahn Bo Hyun will star as Jeon Pil Do, a police detective who becomes Yoon Ji Woo’s partner when she joins the force.

In a newly released clip from the drama, Han So Hee makes an exciting transformation into an action star as her character faces off against a crowd of mobsters during a drug bust. The clip also includes a glimpse of Ahn Bo Hyun in his role as her partner, who waits outside for Yoon Ji Woo during the fight scene.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1490231wpp/watch-han-so-hee-singlehandedly-takes-down-a-crowd-of-mobsters-in-exciting-sneak-peek-of-her-and-ahn-bo-hyuns-drama-my-name

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

EVENT Alert! What do you think should happen next? Calling all drama viewers who have an opinion on which direction a drama should be heading in. Here is your chance to play PDnim. Participate in this joint screenwriting game and lets see what kind of drama Soompi chingus come up with. Surely, it will be better than some of the duds we have been subjected to, right? :lol:

re: @partyon, @Lmangla, @Sleepy Owl, @confusedheart, @agenth

• Blob 1

Netflix Unveils Release Schedule For Upcoming Korean Original Series And Films

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 26, 2021
by U. Kim

On September 25, Netflix held their global fan event TUDUM, where the streaming platform shared their release plans for their upcoming Korean originals. See below for information on Netflix’s upcoming Korean dramas and films!

“My Name”

my-name.jpg

Release: October 15, 2021

Cast: Han So Hee, Park Hee Soon, Ahn Bo Hyun, Kim Sang Ho, Lee Hak Joo, Jang Ryul, etc.

“My Name” is a noir drama that tells the story of Yoon Ji Woo (played by Han So Hee), a woman who joins an organized crime ring and, under their direction, infiltrates the police as an undercover agent in order to uncover the truth behind her father’s death. It is the newest production by director Kim Jin Min of “Extracurricular,” a Netflix series known for its shocking subject matter and top tier production. “My Name” will showcase its plot in a realistic and raw manner, fully portraying the characters’ emotions and action sequences exactly as is. In addition to rising star Han So Hee, the drama will star talented actors Park Hee Soon, Ahn Bo Hyun, Kim Sang Ho, Lee Hak Joo, and Jang Ryul.

Check out the latest teaser for “My Name” here.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1490292wpp/netflix-unveils-release-schedule-for-upcoming-korean-original-series-and-films

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Han So Hee really surprised me with My Name.

While I was watching her as Da Kyung in The World of the Married, I would never have imagined that a delicate beauty like her would one day be doing the action sequences that she did for this upcoming drama (and she did them without a stunt double!).

• Blob 1

Han So Hee, Ahn Bo Hyun, And Park Hee Soon Fight Like Monsters In Chilling Posters For Upcoming Drama “My Name”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Sep 27, 2021
by S. Nam

Netflix’s upcoming drama “My Name” released action-packed new posters starring Han So Hee, Ahn Bo Hyun, and Park Hee Soon!

“My Name” will tell the story of Yoon Ji Woo (played by Han So Hee), a woman who joins an organized crime ring and, under their direction, infiltrates the police as an undercover agent in order to uncover the truth behind her father’s death. Ahn Bo Hyun will star as Jeon Pil Do, a police detective who becomes Yoon Ji Woo’s partner when she joins the force.

The newly released group posters create a tense atmosphere with its deep red lighting as a desperate struggle between the Dongcheon gang and the drug investigation unit unfolds. The portrayal of emotions and action by the three leads heightens the suspenseful atmosphere. The texts on the two posters read, “It’s okay even if I become a monster. I’m killing you.”

My-Name-2.jpg

Yoon Ji Woo throws away her real name to infiltrate the police under the new identity of Oh Hye Jin in order to find the culprit who killed her father. In the poster, Yoon Ji Woo wears a firm and steady gaze which conveys her determination. Park Hee Soon plays the role of Moo Jin, who takes in Yoon Ji Woo under his gang and helps her go undercover with the police. With a weighty expression that’s difficult to read, Moo Jin makes the viewers even more intrigued about his complex character. As Ahn Bo Hyun transforms into the drug investigation team’s detective Jeon Pil Do, he makes his powerful presence known with a sharp gaze. The unique combination of a gang boss, an undercover character, and a police officer has viewers curious to find out more about the unpredictable story and relationships in the upcoming drama.

My-Name1.jpg

“My Name” will premiere on October 15. In the meantime, watch the highlight clip with English subtitles here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1490462wpp/han-so-hee-ahn-bo-hyun-and-park-hee-soon-fight-like-monsters-in-chilling-posters-for-upcoming-drama-my-name

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Watch: Han So Hee Gives Up Everything To Avenge Her Father’s Murder In Action-Packed Trailer For “My Name”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 1, 2021
by E. Cha

Netflix’s upcoming drama “My Name” has released its official trailer!

“My Name” (previously known as “Undercover” or “Nemesis”) will tell the story of Yoon Ji Woo (played by Han So Hee), a woman who joins an organized crime ring and, under their direction, infiltrates the police as an undercover agent in order to learn the truth behind her father’s death. Ahn Bo Hyun will star as Jeon Pil Do, a police detective who becomes Yoon Ji Woo’s partner when she joins the force.

The new trailer begins with a devastated Yoon Ji Woo witnessing her father’s murder. Determined to hunt down her father’s killer, she approaches his longtime friend, mob boss Choi Moo Jin (played by Park Hee Soon), to ask for his help.

When Choi Moo Jin tells her that a cop is responsible for her father’s death, Yoon Ji Woo makes up her mind to go undercover. With Choi Moo Jin’s guidance, she leaves her true name and identity behind to join the police under the name Oh Hye Jin.

However, when she transfers to the narcotics investigation squad to work alongside ace detective Jeon Pil Do and team leader Cha Ki Ho (played by Kim Sang Ho), she unexpectedly finds herself tasked with the assignment of taking down her own mob boss Choi Moo Jin. The more Yoon Ji Woo secretly helps him, the more her fellow police officers begin to suspect that there is a mole hidden in their squad. Meanwhile, the other members of Choi Moo Jin’s gang grow suspicious of Yoon Ji Woo and her motives, suggesting that she may not be loyal to him.

Despite all the obstacles she faces, Yoon Ji Woo remains as determined as ever to avenge her father’s death, declaring, “If I can’t kill [his murderer], my life has no purpose.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491250wpp/watch-han-so-hee-gives-up-everything-to-avenge-her-fathers-murder-in-action-packed-trailer-for-my-name

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

10 K-Drama Premieres To Look Forward To In October

Oct 4, 2021
by D. Kim

Ready for some more K-dramas to add to your watchlist?

Here’s what’s coming in October:

“My Name”

my-name.jpeg

Cast: Han So Hee, Park Hee Soon, Ahn Bo Hyun, Kim Sang Ho, Lee Hak Joo, Jang Ryul, etc.

Premiere Date: October 15

Broadcast Details: Netflix

“My Name” tells the story of Yoon Ji Woo (Han So Hee), a woman who joins an organized crime ring and, under their direction, infiltrates the police as an undercover agent in order to learn the truth behind her father’s death. Park Hee Soon plays her father’s longtime friend and mob boss Choi Moo Jin, while Ahn Bo Hyun is Jeon Pil Do, a police detective who becomes Yoon Ji Woo’s partner when she joins the force. Watch a teaser here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491626wpp/10-k-drama-premieres-to-look-forward-to-in-october

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Han So Hee, Ahn Bo Hyun, And More Talk About “My Name” Action Scenes, Why They Joined The Drama, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 6, 2021
by S. Cho

The cast of “My Name” talked about the upcoming series at their press conference!

On October 5, Han So Hee, Park Hee Soon, Ahn Bo Hyun, Kim Sang Ho, Lee Hak Joo, Jang Ryul, and director Kim Jin Min attended the online press conference for “My Name.”

The Netflix original series “My Name” will tell the story of Yoon Ji Woo (played by Han So Hee), a woman who joins an organized crime ring and, under their direction, infiltrates the police as an undercover agent in order to learn the truth behind her father’s death. Ahn Bo Hyun will star as Jeon Pil Do, a police detective who becomes Yoon Ji Woo’s partner when she joins the force.

Director Kim Jin Min commented, “It’s a story of one person’s revenge. It’s an action story of the main character Han So Hee diligently walking the road of revenge while meeting various people and finding her own path.”

Regarding how she came to choose this project, Han So Hee shared, “I could see the desperation in the script of someone having the one goal of revenge and only working towards that one goal. I thought it was a genre that I hadn’t experienced yet where I would have to use my body to express emotions. That’s why I read it enjoyably and had the thought that I wanted to try it.”

Ahn Bo Hyun expressed his admiration for the show’s director and explained, “I had so much fun watching ‘Extracurricular’ that I became a fan of the director. I read the script and fell in love.” He continued, “I wanted to one day do an action noir and I finally came to do one.”

After Ahn Bo Hyun revealed that he gained weight to convey the dependability of his detective role, Jang Ryul explained that he lost 10 kilograms (approximately 22 pounds) for his. He elaborated, “I’m already thin so losing weight isn’t easy but it was so hard. I thought that the character of Do Kang Jae that I imagined while reading the script was so different from my image before filming. I wanted to achieve the image of a knife with a razor sharp edge so I think it was like that because I was mindlessly dieting. Ahn Bo Hyun taught me about diets and exercise methods so I received a lot of help.”

My-Name1.jpeg

As this is Han So Hee’s first action project since debuting, the actress commented, “At first, I took my modest vigor with me to action school and received lessons for a day but I thought, ‘I’m going to fail the moment I try to pull a trick.’ I figured that no matter what, I had to invest a lot of time. I felt a lot of pressure because it’s my first time, but also because I’m not alone and I have to coordinate with someone else to create one movement. I was also careful in case I got hurt. It was hard.”

Hearing this, Park Hee Soon chimed in, “All the actors had a lot of action scenes. Apart from Kim Sang Ho, the four male actors practiced for two months before filming. Han So Hee began practicing one month before us.”

Director Kim Jin Min shared his praise for Han So Hee as he commented, “An actress appeared who wanted to do it and said she would, and I believe that her keeping that promise became her power.”

He continued, “For actors, your appearance and characteristics set a lot of limits for you. I always think of that limit as potential. Actors breaking through that limit on their own becomes potential. If you settle with your potential, that becomes a limit. I asked her two things, ‘Do you want to do it?’ and ‘Are you going to practice?’ Without a second of hesitation, she said she wanted to do it. It’s not easy to personally say that to the director.”

The director added, “There will be so many opportunities to play beautiful characters. However, opportunities to throw around your body in a project like this will not come easily. I am most thankful to Han So Hee.”

“My Name” premieres on Netflix on October 15. Watch a teaser here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1491985wpp/han-so-hee-ahn-bo-hyun-and-more-talk-about-my-name-action-scenes-why-they-joined-the-drama-and-more

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

Upcoming Drama “My Name” Reveals Intense Character Posters Of Han So Hee, Ahn Bo Hyun, And Park Hee Soon

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Oct 8, 2021
by L. Kim

Upcoming drama “My Name” has released new character posters of its three leads!

The Netflix original series will tell the story of Yoon Ji Woo (played by Han So Hee), a woman who joins an organized crime ring and, under their direction, infiltrates the police as an undercover agent in order to learn the truth behind her father’s death. Ahn Bo Hyun will star as Jeon Pil Do, a police detective who becomes Yoon Ji Woo’s partner when she joins the force, and Park Hee Soon will star as Moo Jin, who takes in Yoon Ji Woo under his gang and helps her go undercover with the police.

The character posters contain the decisive moments of the characters as they pose with their weapon of choice. The background is dark yet colorful, and their intense expressions hint the urgent situations they’re in. The caption on each poster reads, “It’s okay even if I become a monster. I’m killing you.”

Yoon Ji Woo witnessed her father’s death right in front of her eyes, and her one and only goal is to get revenge against those who killed her father. She throws away her real name to infiltrate the police under the new identity of Oh Hye Jin in order to find the culprit. As she goes undercover, she will come across grim truths and dangerous situations

han-so-hee.jpg

Moo Jin is a gang boss who accepts Yoon Ji Woo as a member of his gang and helps her enter the police force. He struggles to protect his organization as well as Yoon Ji Woo, and viewers will be able to see more of his cool charisma in the drama.

park-hee-soon.jpg

Jeon Pil Do is an ace detective in the drug investigation team. He’s dissatisfied with Yoon Ji Woo because she ruined the investigation that he had been painstakingly pursuing for a long time. However, he soon partners up with her and conducts investigations with his own convictions and principles.

Spoiler

ahn-bo-hyun1.jpg

“My Name” premieres on Netflix on October 15. Watch a teaser here!

• Blob 2

Premiere Watch: The King’s Affection, Reflection of You, My Name

by missvictrix

premwatch_kingsaffection.jpg

After a brief respite from our fall premieres, there are three new shows on the way, each offering something quite different. We have Netflix’s next original (sure to get extra buzz after Squid Game, right?), our latest romance and gender-bending sageuk, and some nice juicy melo to top it off.

My Name

premwatch_kingsaffection4.jpg

Premiere Day: Friday
Broadcaster: Netflix
Genre: Thriller, drama
Episode count: 8

Reasons to watch: Although Nevertheless fatigue (or is that PTSD?) might still be running strong, there’s something about My Name that just grabs attention. It looks like we’ll be getting a very different side of Han So-hee — the inversion of shy butterfly girl, in fact. In My Name, she’s full of fight and badassery and on an undercover revenge mission. Some have likened the plot to Heartless City, and that’s all they needed to say to get me to watch. (Oppa bonus: Not to be robbed of the spotlight, Ahn Bo-hyun and Park Hee-soon also star as cop and mob boss, respectively, and here’s hoping that they get as much attention as Han So-hee most likely will.)

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/10/premiere-watch-the-kings-affection-reflection-of-you-my-name/

• Blob 2

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2021] My Name, 마이네임 - Han So Hee, Park Hee Soon & Ahn Bo Hyun

My Name review – another quality k-drama for Netflix’s library self-affirmation

my-name-netflix.jpg

Powered by JustWatch

This review of My Name is spoiler-free.

The unprecedented success of Squid Game on Netflix has exposed how few people have really been paying attention to the diverse array of quality content coming out of South Korea. The irony, of course, is that Netflix is the primary exporter of it. Great new k-dramas have been released on the streaming giant both weekly and in binge batches for several years now, and there’s a sizeable, enthusiastic audience who consume it all hungrily. For those people, Squid Game was nothing new or surprising. But the new eight-part revenge thriller My Name might benefit from the attention all the same. Much like how Alice in Borderland is whipping up its own head of steam thanks to a sudden global interest in Korean television, this bloody action series might well enjoy a vaster audience than usual over the coming weeks.

I hope so, anyway, since My Name is deserving of the attention. Its premise isn’t as immediately arresting as Squid Game’s – it’s about revenge, after all, the most played-out of themes and motivations – but the quality in production and acting are easily on par, such is the generally higher-than-average standard of k-dramas in general. Han So-hee, last seen in Nevertheless, also streaming on Netflix, plays Joon Jiwoo, a young woman determined to avenge the death of her gangster father with the help of his old crime boss associate Mujin and his shadowy organization, which is known as, simply, well… “The Organization”.

After training and planning for years, Jiwoo goes undercover in the police force, suspecting someone within is responsible for the murder of her father, and things only get more complicated from there. Grappling with her need for vengeance, her dual identities, and her relationships with new allies such as fellow cop Pil-Do (Ahn Bo-Hyun) who might well be caught in the crossfire when the law and the underworld clash, Jiwoo is caught in the middle of a complicated struggle.

It’s a complex leading role, this, and a lot of the show rests on Han So-Hee’s ability to pull off every facet of this damaged woman caught between two worlds. The action sequences, though, of which there are plenty, are where she shines the most, delivering brutal beatdowns that are nonetheless grounded and oddly elegant in their choreography. Most of the eight episodes run close to an hour, but they don’t feel that length thanks to not being too dense with plot. Instead, My Name lingers over fights and tense sequences such as police raids and hideout takeovers that really wrings as much tension as possible from the set-pieces. The binge-watch allure is also deeply felt, since most episodes don’t end on cliff-hangers, per se, but almost right in the middle of a scene for the next installment to pick things back up seconds later. The overall effect is of a single continuous narrative that is playing out organically as if the episode breaks are an inconvenience to it. Compare that with, say, Another Life, which would contrive a so-called cliff-hanger just to immediately resolve it at the start of the next episode, and the storytelling here feels much more confident.

And that confidence is what allows My Name to employ all the usual tropes of the revenge drama without feeling tedious or old hat. It’s nothing new, but it’s an old thing executed very well, with a generous helping of gore and violence for good measure. It feels very much like a show for adults, which seems an obvious point, but is worth bringing up given how frequently k-dramas do odd – by Western standards – things with tone and form. There’s very little weirdness here, very few attempts at humor. It’s a serious, straightforward narrative rooted in the perspective of a woman who is consistently on one side or another of brutality.

My Name is unlikely to equal the sheer cultural impact of Squid Game. But it’s a very different show worthy of just as much attention, delivering a handsome, engaging, bloodthirsty spectacle with plenty of style and verve. Tune in for the action sequences, and stay for the layered portrait of a woman in internal and external turmoil. It’s worth the investment.

https://readysteadycut.com/2021/10/15/my-name-review-another-quality-k-drama-for-netflixs-library/

• Blob 1

Stream It Or Skip It: ‘My Name’ on Netflix, A Korean Drama With Crime, Fighting, And A Departed-Style Twist

2021-10-05_06-10-48.jpg

@glennganges Oct 15, 2021 at 5:30pm

The Korean drama My Name (Netflix) puts a young woman seeking vengeance for her drug dealer father’s death at the hands of an unknown assailant on the radar of the kingpin who ran her dad’s organization. He teaches her the ways of vengeance, which involves a lot of punching. But he also schemes to insert his new charge into the local police force…

Opening Shot: Ji-Woo (Han So-hee) is 17 years old today, and, as has become the norm, she wakes up in an empty apartment. Her absentee father’s boxing and martial arts trophies line the walls as Ji-Woo does sit-ups, tunes cranked.

The Gist: Ji-Woo wakes up a forlorn, bullied high school student at the start of this eight-episode Korean drama, and before 40 minutes have rolled by she’s holding her own in a vicious last-fighter-standing battle royale in a dockside training gym for underworld thugs. To say My Name travels in its introductory segment is to put it lightly. But let’s back up a second. Ji-Woo has been on her own since her single dad Dong-hoon (Yoon Kyung-ho) stepped out three months before. Rumors of his involvement with a criminal organization called Dongcheon dog Ji-Woo — “Junkie idiot! Get lost!” — and eventually she puts a few of her bullies in place before dropping out of school entirely. When she takes Dong-hoon’s birthday call, he’s drunk and full of platitudes. “Where are you?” she rages. “The cops who are after you have been following me for a month.” But Ji-Woo’s anger gets through to him, and he arrives at her door. And his daughter watches through the keyhole, terrified, as a masked assailant shoots Dong-hoon dead.

At the funeral, Dongcheon’s kingpin arrives, rolling deep with an 8-man henchman detail. Choi Mu-jin (Park Hee-soon) tells Ji-Woo that Dong-hoon was his most trusted friend and brother, but it’s little solace — the cops drop the murder case, and she is alone. Taking to the streets with “Witnesses! Reward” fliers, Ji-Woo is nearly killed by street toughs before Choi rescues her. All she wants is vengeance for her father’s murder, so he gives her a route: the Dongcheon boss inducts Ji-Woo into his organization as a newbie at the fighting gym. Cue the fight training montages, and the big “prove yourself” final battle.

What Shows Will It Remind You Of? Netflix goes pretty deep on Korean dramas. My Name joins the ranks of Jo Pil-Ho: The Dawning Rage, which also meshes cops and crime and personal justice, and The Lies Within, where a woman left alone after the death of her father and husband joins the Korean National Assembly.

Our Take: With punches and kicks to spare and a quickening pace to go with Ji-Woo’s heart rate as she trains to become Dongcheon’s newest, most vengeance-driven warrior, My Name offers a rewarding opening to its festivities with this thrilling first episode. Han So-hee also keeps a flashing anger in her eyes that accommodates Ji-Woo’s rapid transformation into a rock ‘em sock ‘em punching machine. But what’s really interesting about My Name is what’s about to go down: Ji-Woo will give up her identity and become Oh Hye-jin, member of the police force and Cho Mu-jin’s hand-picked, personally curated Trojan horse. It’s a twist worthy of The Departed that apparently will still allow Ji-Woo to seek out her father’s murderer, even as she plays both sides of a battle between jaded cops and ruthless gangsters who are all out for each others’ necks.

We’ll have to see how Ji-Woo/Oy Hye-jin does on this see-saw. For now, let’s focus on the fights. From Dong-hoon quickly dispatching the two surly cops on stakeout at Ji-Woo’s apartment — he grabs one guy’s neck by smashing through a car window with his fist — to Ji-Woo taking out three bullying girls with a wild series of roundhouses, My Name has a real feel for gritty fight sequences. And that’s all before the first episode’s final sequence, which includes a 360-pan on Ji-Woo crushing a much larger male opponent that’s worthy of the John Wick movies.

Sex and Skin: Lots of fighters stripped to the waist and punching each other in their abs, if that’s a draw.

Parting Shot: Ji-Woo, or “The Rookie” as she’s known in this henchman training gym, wipes blood and sweaty hair out of her eyes, raises her fists, and sets her feet. She’s one of only two fighters left standing in this battle royale, which means she’s still got some work to do. Thwap!

Sleeper Star: Park Hee-Soon is perfect as Choi Mu-jin, the stoic crime boss with immaculate threads who takes Ji-Woo into his organization as both a favor to his fallen friend and brother and as a project of his own design. “You can’t win like that,” he tells Ji-Woo, who’s just blindly kicking a heavy bag. He removes his graciously cut camel-colored suit coat with the 1930’s lapels, and begins to spar with his new charge.

Most Pilot-y Line: Choi can see the fire in Ji-Woo’s eyes, and knows she has no love for the law. The daughter of a gangster, however grudging she was about her dad’s job, still knows the score. And so he makes a decision to harness Ji-Woo’s flame. “If you’re really determined to find and kill him,” Choi says of Dong-Hoon’s murderer, “you must be someone capable of killing others.”

Our Call: STREAM IT. My Name promises larger intrigue ahead after setting up its protagonist’s very personal reason for revenge. The criminals, the cops: can anyone tame Ji-Woo’s rage?

https://decider.com/2021/10/15/my-name-netflix-review/

• Blob 1

I bingewatched this in one day and I sort of regret it? 

Up to Episode 7 I was really interested, and did not use the FF button.

However, the last episode sours the experience a bit.

The spoilerfree review is

• Han So Hee's best performance, she impressed me. Not only does she look gorgeous with "no makeup" face, but her acting was really good: emotional, and also action-wise. There are a lot of action scenes and she does them apparently without stunt double. 
  • Park Hee Son's cheekbones can cut my lips. I really liked his acting too and I've never seen him before. The end episode made me shake my head, but up until then this character was very compelling. It's not his fault, but the writing.
  • Ahn Bo Hyun. Thankfully without Yumi's goatee, he looks stunning. The more I see of him, the more I'm drawn to him. Here his role is not that major, however. 

List of Complaints

Spoiler
  • I knew Gwangjae would appear soon and be annoying, and I was highly disappointed he only got a facial scar as punishment. In 2021 you can do plastic surgery and remove this. He should have gotten the punishment and stayed in the gang and not kicked out (so he can plot his revenge from within!) OR boss should have killed him (they could have not successfully murdered him, so he'd appear out of the blue). Boss tells her that betrayal means death, yet he doesn't kill off this guy who goes against his orders. Mmmmkay.
  • The fact that professional gangsters use knife and stab people multiple times, only for those to survive. Gwangjae's gangsters only manage to kill 4, when the other gang fought back WITH THEIR FISTS against knives lol. Plus Jutae doesn't manage to kill Chief. LOL, despite multiple stabbing. He's supposed to be good as right-hand, but is such an amateur. Meanwhile, our FL manages to kill people with knife easily. 
  • Lame Sex Scene. It didn't feel like they wanted each other at all. She touches his hand for a long moment and leans in, he does nothing. The only hot-ness derives from them removing their clothes, otherwise it feels lacking.
  • "Romance?" Nah, the buildup was not enough. There should have been more moments between FL and 2nd ML, beyond the one night and working together. They shouldn't have had sex in last episode, but before, when they were sharing vulneral stuff. 
  • The ending. She only has 6 bullets, shoots 3 people. Then when she removes bullets to face boss with only one bullet (again why??), she has all 6 bullets. Didn't see her reload but okay. Also the fact that boss is obsessed with being killed by her LOL.
  • Boss killing 2nd ML - why??? So pointless. 
  • everything rushed in episode 8. The sex, the killing. It all went offrails in last episode. 

actually have some other mini-complaints, but whatever.

overall I would have rated this 8/10, but last episode made this to 7/10. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3

Overall I liked the drama. I watched Han So Hee in "Money Flower" and in "World of Married" and I have a seen some really growth in her as an actress in this drama. Her performance was really good, and it is also good to see her try out different kind of roles right now. This was too different from her previous roles, and she owned the role.

Park Hee Son is among the top actors, usually appears in movies and has got more movies under his name than dramas, and I think he was actually the show stealer here with his amazing performance. 

Ahn Bo Hyun too, I am not watching his "Yumi Cells", but I think it was good to see him act as a good once and also without his iconic goatee :joy:

Back to drama, I agree with @agenth Chingu that this drama was great for 7 episodes. The plot seemed original and I don't remember watching a drama/movie similar to this in terms of basic plot. It was new, interesting, the whole reverse undercover case. This was a no-nonsense drama as well, not having "forced humor" scenes, or forced PPLs and this why I think it was well paced and didn't really drift away from the main storyline. 

While there were certain things where the logic wasn't really working well, and also sometimes I had to think how certain things happened, I still liked the drama. For me, it seems like the moral of the drama is "Knives don't kill, bullets do". Most of the characters in this drama, were stabbed, the knife was twisted while it had stabbed them, they were stabbed multiple times, and still managed to survived. Some had to be shot to be killed, which proves why guns are considered superior to knives. Knives just lack the ability to kill it seems, until or unless it is in FL's hands, since she just turned into female John Wick and kills anyone coming her way 

knife-throwing-keanu-reeves.gif

We all knew that Gangjae will come and haunt the drug lord here, so I wasn't really surprised, what surprised me was that he was left alive in the first place. I still think he was supposed to be killed for what he did or if the drug lord really wanted to throw him out of the gang, maybe cut his hand or leg properly rather than scarring his face. 

Another thing I really didn't like was the whole relationship buildup between FL and Pil Do. The writer and showrunners had more than one scenes where they could hint this, they could show in the scene where Pil Do visits her home, or well we could see more of that in their conversation while working together, since after all they were partners. I think the sex scene wasn't really needed in the last episode at that point. I honestly feel they added this, and the late romance to give FL another motive for revenge once Pil Do was killed by drug lord, who wanted to give FL another reason to kill him since it seemed like FL had agreed with Pil Do to let go of taking revenge. 

Which does bring me to Pil Do's death which in my opinion was the lamest death in the whole drama. If they really had planned to kill, there were more methods to do so. They could just end up in a fight with the gang preventing their return to Police office where they could kill him while or some other way. But being shot like that was not really a good idea in my opinion. 

Last episode was the weakest one in my opinion. Overall, the drama was great, with a new story and the acting by everyone was top class. Its just that the last episode made me also rate it lesser than I was willing to. Also, the soundtracks are amazing, and I loved them. Overall, I also rate it 7/10.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

My Name: Episode 1 (Review)

by missvictrix

MyName_1.jpg

Netflix is back with their next original drama, My Name, a noir crime drama that packs quite a punch (pun intended). It’s rough and violent, and builds the dark world in which our teenage heroine is pushed to the edge. The story that unfolds is what happens when she has nothing left to lose.

Note: This is only a first episode review.

EPISODE 1 REVIEW

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/MyName_2.jpg

My Name wastes no time setting up its tone and mood, which is dark, lonely, and desperate. The heroine of our story is YOON JI-WOO (Han So-hee), a teenage girl who’s living in poor conditions apart from her father. We can feel the anger she has towards him right away — his reputation as a gangster and drug dealer follows her wherever she goes and haunts her. But that anger is just a defense mechanism, and the drama doesn’t hide the fact that she actually adores him.

The truth about Ji-woo’s father is known at her all girls high school, and she’s tormented by her classmates in the worst ways possible. At first Ji-woo seems checked out, used to keeping her head down and shouldering the bullying. But something in her snaps one day, and rather than take the latest attack (a bag of fake drugs on her desk) she confronts the lead bully and gets into a huge fight in the middle of the classroom. Ji-woo might be small and seem vulnerable, but this is our first glimmer into the fight that she has within her.

Ji-woo’s been waiting for her dad to contact her, and when he does it’s on her birthday. He’s left a cake, flowers, and an expensive present at her door, but is still in hiding. Her father’s love offering is not enough this time, and when they talk on the phone, Ji-woo tells him that she’s not waiting for him anymore. She can’t take the abuse a day longer, and she says if he doesn’t turn up, she’ll renounce him as her father.

The seriousness with which her father takes this situation makes it clear not only how much they love each other, but how Ji-woo truly has reached the point where she can’t go on. Her father heads back to her apartment despite the danger, but before they can even see each other, an unknown assailant comes after him. He keeps Ji-woo from opening her front door in order to protect her, and it’s an emotional as well as physical battle. Ji-woo can only imagine what’s happening on the other side of the door, and when the fight clears, her father is shot dead. And with that, Ji-woo’s world collapses.

This moment is the turning point for Ji-woo and our story — the moment where she has nothing left to lose. Her father was the only thing holding her together, and now that he’s gone, she decides that getting revenge against his killer is the only thing that matters to her. And so it comes to define her entire life.

It’s here that our backstory ends, and the new chapter in Ji-woo’s life begins. She seeks out the boss of the underground drug ring with whom her father worked, and begs him to help her find out who murdered her father. The mob boss is CHOI MOO-JIN (Park Hee-soon). Though we get a sense of his closeness to Ji-woo’s father, he’s harsh with her, and even physical. Ji-woo leaves a little more broken, but a little more determined to get her revenge.

more

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/10/my-name-episode-1-review/

• Blob 2