[Drama 2020] Midnight Snack Couple/Sweet Munchies, 야식남녀

larus

Thoughts...

I like the premise of the TV show that PD Kim is trying to produce, except for the gay part. Honestly, it just doesn't make sense.  Clearly, the writer for this drama is trying to shed light on the homophobia in Korea, but for the show within this show, the chef's sexuality doesn't need to be known. Can they cook? Can they give good advice? That is it. This isn't like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, where gay men help a straight guy dress better, live better, etc. This is straight up snacks and advice. So the whole scene where she got paint thrown at her and even this nuance of Chef's brother finding out is just for dramatic purposes.

As someone who is a tireless ally of the LGBTQIA community, I honestly feel that this trope is overused in some dramas. Bringing someone's sexuality into a place where it is not needed is cringe and a bit disrespectful. With that being said, I honestly hope that this drama will help someone who is homophobic or bigoted not be that way anymore.  A juicy twist would be if Designer Kang wasn't gay, but maybe just bi-curious. His character being gay completes the stereotypical circle in this drama. Of course the designer would be gay. In any event, I find it interesting that in his desire to be noticed and close to Chef, he has taken to becoming closer to PD Kim, which of course, now Chef is jealous. This is quite the triangle. 

I do like the story line of Writer Yoo dating the younger former flunky of PD Nam. I didn't see that coming, but their chemistry is good and it is cute and funny.

Prediction: Well, it is clear, at some point the truth is coming out. (Pun intended). However, by then, no one is really going to care as the show is already a hit. I sense that his younger brother is gay, and clearly interested in Designer Kang, maybe a potential love line? The OTP will have a stupid separation before getting back together and eventually the office will find out about our cute noona romance couple.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Clearly, the writer for this drama is trying to shed light on the homophobia in Korea, but for the show within this show, the chef's sexuality doesn't need to be known. Can they cook? Can they give good advice? That is it.

I think the same. I don`t know why the chef has to be gay. The cooking is important more than anything. The chef could have been a woman just fine.

Sweet Munchies: Episodes 7-8 Open Thread

by abirdword

Munchies_7-8_00009.jpg

Our chef enjoys a few days of flirting as he and his PD crush play house together, but all good things must come to an end, especially when you’re pretending you’re someone you’re not. There are so many feelings flying around and no one talking about them, and eventually all that unspoken chemistry starts to break free in misdirected jealousies. Not to mention, little bro finally finds out about his hyung’s side hustle, and it all adds up to not a great time in Jin-sung’s world.

EPISODES 7-8 WEECAP

Munchies_7-8_00001.jpg

Last week we left off with Tae-wan as he encountered Jing-sung’s pecs sauntering around Ah-jin’s apartment. Rather than just admit that Jin-sung was sleeping over until the burglar is caught, Jin-sung unsuccessfully tries to cover with excuses and send Tae-wan off as soon as possible. When he does leave, Tae-wan spots Jin-woo in the jacket Jin-sung wore during his audition, which throws up Tae-wan’s jealousy antennae again, and now it seems that he’s worried about both Ah-jin and Jin-woo competing for his crush’s affections. Sigh.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/06/sweet-munchies-episodes-7-8-open-thread/

“Sweet Munchies” Previews Jung Il Woo, Kang Ji Young, And Lee Hak Joo At The Police Station

Jun 22, 2020
by D. Ki
ad8d9047874f493bb52270119aa68dcd.jpeg?s=

Jung Il Woo, Kang Ji Young, and Lee Hak Joo will be encountering a difficult situation in the upcoming episode of “Sweet Munchies.”

“Sweet Munchies” is a romantic comedy in which a man and woman fight over the same man. It follows the story of the unconventional love triangle between the bistro chef Park Jin Sung (Jung Il Woo), the producing director Kim Ah Jin (Kang Ji Young), and the genius designer Kang Tae Wan (Lee Hak Joo).

In the still images revealed ahead of the ninth episode, the three are receiving questioning at the police station along with producing director Noh Jae Soo (Park Sung Joon) and writer Yoo Sung Eun (Gong Min Jung), drawing curiosity about what happened.

more  https://www.soompi.com/article/1408329wpp/sweet-munchies-previews-jung-il-woo-kang-ji-young-and-lee-hak-joo-at-the-police-station

Kang Ji Young Compares Herself To Character In “Sweet Munchies,” Defines Beauty, And More

Jun 24, 2020
by C. Lee
65cb4fb389684a2f8ccf4d339839f49b.jpeg?s=

Kang Ji Young looks bold and confident for Nylon magazine!

In her photo shoot, the actress from the JTBC drama “Sweet Munchies” shows off simple but captivating looks accented with red colors.

In the interview that accompanied the photo shoot, Kang Ji Young talked about “Sweet Munchies,” the drama’s topic of food, and more.

When asked if there is a late-night snack that she enjoys like her character does in her drama, Kang Ji Young said, “When I have to film the next day, I try not to eat food at night, but if I’m really hungry, I drink milk or eat tomatoes.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1408818wpp/kang-ji-young-compares-herself-to-character-in-sweet-munchies-defines-beauty-and-more

I have so many problems with this show.

But there are some good things.

The good:

Tae-Wan. The pain of someone in the closet is so real, someone suffering because he is unable to be himself. If there is any nuanced discussion to be had from show about being gay, this is where it would happen. He's the main attraction. This actor is great. Let's hope this performance helps his career.

Music. I like the OST. If anything, it tells me what this show thinks it is, or what it could have been.

Sweet Munchies: Episodes 9-10 Open Thread

by abirdword

Munchies_9-10_00033.jpg

I suspected things would get messy this week, and while I certainly wasn’t wrong about it, it wasn’t for the reasons I expected. Our chef’s efforts to keep the lie going no matter what causes a lot of heartache. He faces a difficult choice: protect the show or protect the innocent people who are being hurt along the way?

EPISODES 9-10 WEECAP

Munchies_9-10_00016.jpg

We resume this week where we last left Ah-jin and Jin-sung, locked at the lips at Bistro. Ah-jin’s reaction is to duck away home, search the internet for opinions about what it all means, and then pretend that she remembers nothing when she next encounters Jin-sung later that evening at her doorstep. I’d say that this isn’t a solid strategy, but they barely pretend that nothing happened before sitting right down and talking it out. The truth doesn’t come out, but at least no lame excuses are uttered either.

It seems like Jin-sung can’t possibly keep the lie inside his heart any longer, and yet he somehow manages to refrain from confessing anything and just shoots her down with a shrug about his actions. I thought surely that this uncertainty and confusion would drag out through the week, but instead their talk happens pretty quickly and Ah-jin respectfully backs off.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/06/sweet-munchies-episodes-9-10-open-thread/

14 hours ago, chickfactor said:

He's the main attraction. This actor is great. Let's hope this performance helps his career.

I agree that he is the main atraction of this show. I saw him in Be Melodramatic and than The World of married. After the role in The World of Married I saw him in pictorials and two drama offers. This one and JTBC “Private Life". He is on the role.

14 hours ago, larus said:

I agree that he is the main atraction of this show. I saw him in Be Melodramatic and than The World of married. After the role in The World of Married I saw him in pictorials and two drama offers. This one and JTBC “Private Life". He is on the role.

"Be Melodramatic" is amazing. And you just reminded me how they are both JTBC shows that are partly about show business and the work that goes into creating a show. How that show was amazing and one of my favorites, and this one is... not.

Going to rant now:

1. It really boggles my mind, still, that Ah-Jin replicated the exact experience she was having every night at Bistro - cute chef making you nice food and giving you good advice which helps relieve stress. THAT is her show. She even cast that very chef in her show, and the show doesn't work without him. And maybe I've missed a scene, but I've never once heard her acknowledge that HE is the inspiration for her show. All I hear her babbling about is "gay chef, gay chef..." And she's never once figured out that the chef does not need to be gay?

When Jin-Seong asked why she made the chef gay, she said that LGBTQ people know what it is like to suffer so they give good advice. Isn't this just like the "magical black friend" trope? It's problematic, if not straight-up offensive. Also, it's just a bad answer. She's never shown that she has any particular insight into what gay people go through beyond generic pity.

2. From Ep.1, the toxic work culture at this TV stations really bugged me. And they really are part of the problem. The Chief basically bullied Ah-Jin into making this show - giving her 24 hours to find a gay chef, and other ridiculous challenges, constantly threatening her with getting fired or her show canceled. Absolutely no one in this station did due diligence on making this show properly, all they did is obstruct, discourage, and manipulate her, then take credit when it turned out be a success.

Jin-Seong was wrong to have lied about being gay. But this debacle is also the result of just about everyone in this show being terrible. It would have been nice if they could make a show where he could be himself - a straight guy and a good chef who gives good advice. But the stupid people at this TV station made it so that that was not possible.

No one really vetted the guy who was going to be the star one of their shows, no one did any prep to deal with public complaints which they definitely foresaw. And no one did anything to protect the star of this show from getting his restaurant trashed and at risk of being personally assaulted.

So, yeah. Thumbs down. Everyone.

3. Nam Gyu Jang. OMG, he is such a ____. Why hasn't he been humiliated and run out of town yet? Because that is the only reason I can guess that he exists. So far, they've ditched him for dinner once. That's about it for consequences.

4. Tae Wan. I already said that I liked him, but I'll just say it again. He's the only good thing about this show. I really feel his pain. Well, at least he was in that monster hit, "World of the Married," because no one but me and two other people are watching this. :lol:

Also want to mention that he played terrible people in that show and "Be Melodramatic," so it's really nice that he's playing someone we can like.

5. I still like Jeong Il-Woo a lot. I thought I could watch him in anything. This show has challenged that. But... I'll still watch his next one and just hope this one fades away from my brain eventually.

6. The last thing I like is that this show is only 12 episodes. Hurray! :lol:

Sorry for the rant.

5 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Going to rant now:

I agree with everything you said. I get the feeling the writer wanted to make a little conflict in the love triangle and thought why not change the dinamic, a guy and a woman being in love with the male protagonist? I see lazy writing. The whole story that made the hero stuck in the show, lying about his sexual orientation, felt so contrived.

I can`t wait for this drama to be over.

Watch: Jung Il Woo And Kang Ji Young Shed Tears After Their Kiss Scene For “Sweet Munchies”

Jun 27, 2020
by L. Kim
7612e04b6c20498c956e0c750532e1f4.jpeg?s=

JTBC’s “Sweet Munchies” has released a new behind-the-scenes look at the drama!

At the beginning of the making-of video, Lee Hak Joo and Kang Ji Young film the scene where he has to wipe foam off her lips. Jung Il Woo, who is supposed to act jealous after seeing that, suddenly yells out, “When did you come?” His two co-stars laugh and playfully criticize him for sounding too harsh, and he jokingly quips, “Usually, people become blind when they fall in love.”

jung-il-woo1.jpg

Lee Hak Joo and Jung Il Woo film together next, and everything seems to be going smoothly until someone suddenly sneezes. The cast and crew burst into laughter, and the director jokes, “Who was that?” The two actors continue filming, but Lee Hak Joo slams into something as he’s about to sit down, and he explodes with laughter out of embarrassment.

lee-hak-joo-jung-il-woo.jpg

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1409431wpp/watch-jung-il-woo-and-kang-ji-young-shed-tears-after-their-kiss-scene-for-sweet-munchies

Jung Il Woo, Kang Ji Young, And Lee Hak Joo Share Their Final Thoughts Ahead Of “Sweet Munchies” Finale

Jun 30, 2020
by J. Lim
a5fc6e9c754c45eba3421cb43e4fc515.jpeg?s=

JTBC’s Monday-Tuesday drama “Sweet Munchies” is coming to an end, and its leading roles have shared their final remarks!

“Sweet Munchies” will be airing its final episode on June 30, and Jung Il Woo, Kang Ji Young, and Lee Hak Joo talked about the drama coming to an end.

Jung Il Woo has been playing the role of Park Jin Sung, a talented chef. Not only did he warm the hearts of viewers with sweet romance, but he also displayed a myriad of emotions of someone feeling guilty over what happened as a result of his lies. Jung Il Woo stated, “I wanted this to be a drama that could be a warm comfort to viewers after a busy day. Most of all, I was happy to be with Jin Sung, who experienced growing pains and matured as a result of it. I hope ‘Sweet Munchies’ will be a drama that stays with viewers for a long time.”

“Sweet Munchies” was Kang Ji Young’s first Korean drama and she took on the role of PD (producing director) Kim Ah Jin. She said, “This drama was even more special because it was the first time in a while I was active in Korea.” She looked back on her role as she said, “Ah Jin is the type of person who, if she falls over while running, will get back up and keep going. I was so happy to live as Ah Jin, who held on, made opportunities for herself, and had great courage

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1410032wpp/jung-il-woo-kang-ji-young-and-lee-hak-joo-share-their-final-thoughts-ahead-of-sweet-munchies-finale

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] Midnight Snack Couple/Sweet Munchies, 야식남녀

“Sweet Munchies” Comes To An End With Its Lowest Ratings

Jul 1, 2020
by R. Jun
4bc03d21673142ffac109047c34b0ad7.jpeg?s=

Meanwhile, JTBC’s “Sweet Munchies” saw a disappointing finale. Recording 0.4 percent viewership, the series came to an end with its lowest ratings.

“Sweet Munchies” will be followed next week by “Model Detective,” a crime investigation drama starring Son Hyun Joo, Jang Seung Jo, and Lee Elijah.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1410156wpp/sweet-munchies-comes-to-an-end-with-its-lowest-ratings

2 hours ago, larus said:

“Sweet Munchies” Comes To An End With Its Lowest Ratings

Jul 1, 2020
by R. Jun

Meanwhile, JTBC’s “Sweet Munchies” saw a disappointing finale. Recording 0.4 percent viewership, the series came to an end with its lowest ratings.

It's a pity... but somehow expected after we have watched a few of the episodes.  Thank you for sharing your thought here.  

We'll see again in another thread.  Take care. 

Sweet Munchies: Episodes 11-12 Open Thread (Final)

by abirdword

Munchies_11-12_00042.jpg

Our chef and PD face their final challenges this week as the show comes to an end. In these final moments, the characters are asked to choose which is more important to them: their integrity or their careers.

EPISODES 11-12 Weecap

Munchies_11-12_00004.jpg

My feelings were all over this week as Episode 11 delivers what I thought were some of the lowest lows of the entire show. But then somehow Episode 12 managed to pull up before it’s too late, and glided back to the best ending I could have hoped for it.

Let’s start with the pity party that is the penultimate episode. We pick back up with Tae-wan and Jin-sung’s tense confrontation as Jin-sung finally admits that he’s not actually gay. Tae-wan diffuses the scene when the rest of the gang arrives, but I fully assumed a big blow up was inevitable.

Instead, Jin-sung visits Tae-wan at his studio later and says things like, “I did my best to find another option, but I had no choice.” What a cop out, Jin-sung. There’s also, “It won’t end with just me hurt.” Again, why is Jin-sung so focused on himself during this apology?

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/sweet-munchies-episodes-11-12-open-thread-final/

So my final thoughts...

This show had so much potential, but the way this was all dealt with was incredibly insensitive and just downright stereotypical.

Oh, how I wish that they had JUST focused on Chef as being someone who is understanding, a great cook and gives amazing advice. Which he was.

Actually, the story line with Designer Kang was perfect for this show. So many opportunities and they just kept missing the mark. I can honestly say with the exception of PD Kim, I did not like hardly anyone she worked with at the station. Including the tracksuit sunbae who wanted to get all self-righteous at the end. I am glad Chef outed himself and told the truth because that whole plot was ridiculous. 

I don't think Korea will ever be a place that will look favorably on people who are openly gay or a part of the LGBTQIA community. While the premise was nice, how this turned out is very indicative of society and the hypocrisy there.

Archived