[Taiwanese Drama 2019] Someday or One Day 想見你

0ly40

Here are my final thoughts on Someday or one day. 

After watching dramas for so many years, you will be able to tell with a few eps where the plot is taking you. It takes a lot to get you surprised about a particular twist or plot point. I have to say this show really did a great job in keeping me on my toes right until the last ep. Just when you think you know something, the show will introduce you to another twist that will knock you out of nowhere. And you might get afraid whether you will like the end result after all this rollercoaster ride, but I think somewhere during the middle of the drama, I realized that these writers are so brilliant that they won't disappoint me in the end. And I was right. It was not without its flaws, even the ending, but I was satisfied with where our characters mindset at. I guess I will say the rest under the spoiler box. 

Spoiler

Eventhough it seemed like an open ending, with what we know of our characters, we know that they will find each other soon. They already confirmed that Zi Wei meeting young Yu xuan is a separate event which is not related to this whole time loop thing. You know that they will get attracted to each other once they become adults. They are soulmates after all. 

I liked the acting of all the actors in this show. Especially Alice ke who played as Yun Ru/Yu xuan. From the 1st ep, when she was depressed and lonely after her boyfriend disappeared, we were able to feel the intensity of her feelings and can't help but feel sad for her. We didn't see much of Yun ru in the show until the very end when she came back to her body but acts like yu xuan so Zi Wei will keep liking her. That was some A class acting by Alice ke, you can easily tell that it is not yu xuan but Yun ru acting as Yu xuan. And she impressed me even more when Yun ru broke down in the end feeling dejected that no one likes her for who she is and she can't change herself to be more likeable. I felt soooo sad for Yun Ru. As a high school girl with a dysfunctional family, you can see where her insecurities came from. She was not mature enough to understand her mother's care or her brother's love. And she totally missed out on our sweet MJJ pining after her for so long. Sighhh. It does feel like for most of the people high school is difficult place to be. When you constantly feel like you are not doing enough and keep comparing yourself to others. I was sad that even when MJJ opened his heart to her, she was not convinced that her life is worth living and still jumped. Sighh. I guess it was too late. But since this is a drama she got a second chance and I was glad that she decided to push her negative thoughts away. Alice ke was brilliant in this show, I'll keep an eye on her dramas from now on. 

Zi Wei had it tough in this show. First he fell in love with his friend's crush. Then he was lied to that who he loved was not real. His bestfriend went to jail for murder and then killed himself later. He got into a car accident. Had to live as someone else to be together with the love of his life. Had to board a plane that he knew would crash. Comes back to 2003 and had to undergo physically and mentally taxing rehabilitation. Then had to wait almost 15 years to meet Yu xuan again. And when you think that everything finally worked out for Yu xuan and Zi Wei, he gets murdered by a psychopath. Sighhh. Even typing this is making me breathless. LOL. I appreciate how much he endured just to be with Yu xuan. If you think about it, it is kinda epic. But the problem I have in this drama is that I was not able to feel that epicness. It maybe because we are told the story in bits and pieces in a non linear way. It kinda doesn't stick with you. Sigh. It just felt like I'm watching this show with more brain that heart. I was constantly guessing what will happen next, what will happen next, that I was not able to register the epicness of their romance. Sighh

There are certain things they didn't explain in the end. Like what happened to Quan Sheng? And why did Zhi qi/Zhong Ruo got obsessed with Yun ru/Yu xuan in the first place? I guess we didn't get any explanation for these or I missed it. I dont know. I also didn't like how creepy the villain was. Lol. They could've dialed down the creepiness a little bit. Sighhh. 

But overall I liked this show a lot. It was not without its flaws, but it was awesome in its own way. I'm glad I gave this a try. 

I have to thank @partyon for suggesting this group watch although I did overtake you guys and finished it sooner for which I apologize, but I'm grateful that I had a space to discuss it here. I'm pretty sure the Korean remake will not be able to even come near this beautiful show. I just watched the trailer and I wanted to puke. Sighh. Ahn hyo seop is someone who has a cardboard face, and I can't believe they casted him for Zi Wei. Sighhhhhhhhhh. 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

On 9/1/2023 at 6:23 PM, larus said:

I wanted to talk about the blue room. Where is Yun Run when Yu Xuan is living her life in 1998?

THIS!!! I am also wondering about it. I mean how cruel is it that she's missing her life? Somebody else is living it for her.

EDIT:

Am still watching ep 7, but am almost at the end:

The painting - we know now that Li Zi Wei has traveled somehow to the future and that Yu Xuan has been in love with Li Zi Wei in the present as well...

22 hours ago, larus said:

In 2003, while visiting Taiwan, he was in a car listening to THAT casette and he was invoolved in a car accident. He wake up in Quan Sheng`s body. Quan Shen was like past Yun Ru, depressed, perhaps with not many friends. Why he was in the water? Did he want to kill himself? I remember that Quan Sheng`s mother told Yu Xuan that he was bullied (or something like that), he was very sad but she changed his life. Now I get it. Quan Sheng became different just like Yun Ru. he was Zi Wei.

And Zi wei will look for Yu Xuan and she will fall in love with him. So Zi Wei and Yu Xuan felt in love with each other in the past and in the future. 

Yes, that's how I interpreted it too.

But where the hell are Quan Sheng and Yun Ru?

Also, am hella tired of that same song being played over and over again. :unamused:

@kokodus Ms. Koko, I am not reading yet your post. :kiss_wink: Am scared I will get spoilered. Will come back to it when I'm at the finale.

• Like 1

Am watching Ep 8 now.

season 6 stop making my head hurt GIF by Shameless

Alright, so we know now that WQS is gay or bi. He had a very sad backstory. He was in the same situation as Yu Xuan - depressed. Yun Ru was not exactly happy either. So it seems that these peeps keep time jumping when they're depressed.

Wait, so original WQS is alive!?!?! He's not in a vegetative state?!?!?!? Hul!

@larus But how the hell did WQS know what would happen in 2010? :scream: Did he also time jump?

yoongi-confused-420joon.gif

And MJJ has been in prison for Yun Ru's murder. :crybaby:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, partyon said:

Wait, so original WQS is alive!?!?! He's not in a vegetative state?!?!?!? Hul!

@larus But how the hell did WQS know what would happen in 2010? :scream: Did he also time jump?

The original WQS was depressed and fell into the ocean to takes his life in 2010. But at the same time Zi Wei met a car accident in 2003 and time travelled to 2010 into WQS's body. 

Will you watch ep 9 today? I want to be there for you when you watch ep 9. LOL. 

• Blob 1

15 minutes ago, kokodus said:

The original WQS was depressed and fell into the ocean to takes his life in 2010. But at the same time Zi Wei met a car accident in 2003 and time travelled to 2010 into WQS's body. 

Yes, we know that, but it doesn't explain what I wrote earlier. Ms Koko, don't you dare spoil things, since you've already watched the ending. :grimace: 

I just started on ep 9. And now...

Spoiler

We know that LZW met MJJ in 2008! But if he only time jumped to 2010 from 2003, but we learnt that his body in 2003 survived, then which version of him met MJJ in 2008?

And is LZW even in the 2003+ body or did LZW in WQS body time jump back from 2010+ to 2008?

This is confusing.

And does that mean that the man we see as the older guy in present time with the cane, is actually LZW's body? But is it LZW's soul or WQS's?

This is really confusing.

Ok, I will carry on watching ep 9. Still have 55 mins left.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, partyon said:

Yes, we know that, but it doesn't explain what I wrote earlier. Ms Koko, don't you dare spoil things, since you've already watched the ending. :grimace: 

I just started on ep 9. And now...

Hide contents

We know that LZW met MJJ in 2008! But if he only time jumped to 2010 from 2003, but we learnt that his body in 2003 survived, then which version of him met MJJ in 2008?

And is LZW even in the 2003+ body or did LZW in WQS body time jump back from 2010+ to 2008?

This is confusing.

And does that mean that the man we see as the older guy in present time with the cane, is actually LZW's body? But is it LZW's soul or WQS's?

This is really confusing.

Ok, I will carry on watching ep 9. Still have 55 mins left.

I don't understand your question. But I'm sure you will find the answers on your own if you keep watching. Fighting!!

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, kokodus said:

Are you feeling better now?

YES! :love: You even posted pics of my oppas! Thank you :fullofhearts:

ep 9

Spoiler

But still MJJ's story is too sad. :tears: Now his grandma died. :tears:

My theory of the timelines so far.

LZW time jumps to WQS's body in 2010 after WQS tries to commit suicide. LZW in WQS's body meets Yu Zuan and starts dating her.

LZW in LZW's body wakes up from his coma in 2003 but is injured. He's the one who meets MJJ in 2008. This is the guy we see in present time. He is LZW in LZW's body.

My guess is that LZW in WQS's body died in the plane crash.

Which just makes me wonder.... Where are WQS's and Yun Ru's souls....? Are they both dead?

• Like 1

Nice twist... Ep 10

Spoiler

So the shady guy from 1998 who may or may not have attacked Yun Ru is the younger brother of the psychologist in 2019.

Am not surprised to see that both brothers are psychos, though.

And they time travel too :scream:

Am starting to wonder about why Yun Ru is asking to be killed in the 1998 timeline? Or is it Yu Xuan...? Something is fishy here.

At first I thought it was a hallucination, but we've seen before that these things tend to have actually happened.

huh-ji-chang-wook.gif

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Nice twist... Ep 10

I did not watch episode 10 so i won`t read your comment right now. Of course there will be more twists. :D I am afraid of twists in this drama. My head is not ready for them.

• LOL 1

Start of ep 11

Spoiler

Holy smokes this psychiatrist is a real psychopath! :scream: Looks like he was way crazier than his older brother, and that he is actually the one who time traveled back in time and killed Yun Ru & co in his brother's body.

Will be interesting to see what happens now that he has the Walkman and the diary

10 hours ago, larus said:

I am afraid of twists in this drama.

The twists are what is making this drama so interesting. :love: I wish they had introduced more twists in the beginning.

EDIT:

Spoiler

Omo! So now Li Zi Wei in LZW's original body is dead. People are dropping like flies here.

• Love 1

Ep 11 thoughts

Spoiler

Mwahaha :D

I knew it. I knew that Yun Ru wasn't just "somewhere". She knew that Yu Xuan was living her life at times. And she utilized that information and Yu Xuan's memories.

My guess is that Yun Ru wants LZW as well, and that's why she's pretending she's "Yu Xuan"... Even though it goes against her true personality.

The question now is if Yun Ru told evil psychologist in his big brother's body to kill her. Taking a chance it would be Yu Xuan, and allowing Yun Ru to live on in Yun Ru's body. Thus eliminating Yu Xuan as the competitor of LZW's heart....

Haha :D Such evilness if that were the case.

I would so much wish that we could see if the real WQS has been seeing LZW's life and memories too.

• LOL 1

Ep 12 thoughts

Spoiler

I feel kinda sorry for Yun Ru. How sad that she felt that she couldn't be liked and loved for being herself. When in fact MJJ did like her for who she was. She was so blind.

Gotta give some flack to LZW though.... :rage: How insensitive of him to ask Yun Ru when / if Yu Xuan was going to come back (even crying) when he had just broken Yun Ru's heart. Seriously. Think before you speak, LZW.

9 minutes ago, partyon said:

Ep 12 thoughts

Hide contents

Gotta give some flack to LZW though.... :rage: How insensitive of him to ask Yun Ru when / if Yu Xuan was going to come back (even crying) when he had just broken Yun Ru's heart. Seriously. Think before you speak, LZW.

Spoiler

I was also mad at him for this. But then I realized he is also just a kid who is heartbroken. So yeah....

And you are so close to the end.......

• Like 1

I finished the drama. :loveu:

I think that it was overall a bit too long. It could have been better as a 8-10 ep drama. I thought it got better as it progressed though.

Thoughts

Spoiler

Awww....We got kind of a happy ending for most people in the drama.

By destroying the walkman, the evil psychologist could never go back in time to harm Yun Ru - back to the time where everything started to go wrong.

It was very brave of Yu Xuan even though she knew she would have to give up on LZW.

In a way, I thought it was very fitting as an ending, because the drama started off with her not being able to move on from WQS's death. She was depressed. It came full circle when she was finally able to let go of her pain.

I liked that it was alluded that Yun Ru and MJJ got a happy ending. He was a good man who cared for her, and I think that she finally came to realize it. So my wish came true @kokodus

:yay:

And because LZW had met Yu Xuan as a separate event back when she was a kid, we knew that this would happen again despite the fact that the Walkman was destroyed. So it was great that they got a happy ending too.

My only gripe is with the fact that we never got to see what happened to WQS. I felt like they should have included him somehow. I guess that he died according to an original timeline. :(

In any case, it was a great drama and like Ms. Koko, I think it will be impossible for the kdrama version to top this one. The acting was stellar by all leads!

• Like 1