[Drama 2019-2020] Stove League, 스토브리그

larus

Well dang didn't expect to be losing water over here to, Chocolate all ready doing a good job of that. This was a a great episode. The way how every thing panned out was well written and we'll delivered by the cast,. Man that back story......

• Like 3

Rewatching again!  Despite being jerks initially, at least the coaches had the sense to listen at the end.  I enjoyed seeing Jae Hee’s smirk there.

I like the Viking’s team manager.  His scenes are also fun to watch

Lee Se Young!  You get to see how important her role as an operations manager and how competent she is that she can even act as a temporary general manager.

• Like 6

The lunar NY is a big thing in Chinese/Korean culture.  It’s bigger than Christmas.  It’s a public holiday.  24th night is reunion dinner night.  Most get to leave work early to prepare.  Everyone is supposed to return “home” to have a family meal together.  25th is the actual New Year and celebrations include visiting relatives in hierarchical order.  And there’s more feasting.  Ratings will probably suffer.  I wouldn’t be sitting in front of a TV watching.  I’d be busy with catching up with extended family and eating.   Staff and cast will probably want a break too.  So I can understand why they would postpone screening till after festivities. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Staff and cast will probably want a break too.  So I can understand why they would postpone screening till after festivities. 

This I can understand. It is better then postpone screening for... baseball. :w00t:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

The lunar NY is a big thing in Chinese/Korean culture.  It’s bigger than Christmas.  It’s a public holiday.  24th night is reunion dinner night.  Most get to leave work early to prepare.  Everyone is supposed to return “home” to have a family meal together.  25th is the actual New Year and celebrations include visiting relatives in hierarchical order.  And there’s more feasting.  Ratings will probably suffer.  I wouldn’t be sitting in front of a TV watching.  I’d be busy with catching up with extended family and eating.   Staff and cast will probably want a break too.  So I can understand why they would postpone screening till after festivities. 

TY for the info.  In view of the circumstances, I will forgive SBS just this once.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/13/2020 at 9:05 PM, denny said:

This is by far the BEST show of the last 12 months. Why is SBS messing with its dedicated viewers? The cast and crew have every right to be furious along with the viewers.

It's highly watchable and popular with the audiences. There were some really good episodes as well. But let's try to be reasonable ;)

• Like 1

Watched the first 2 episodes because the story sounds interesting & unique. My overall impression is I like it. It sets the tone/atmosphere for the show. I like the attention to details when it comes the production design & knowledge of baseball (ex: stadium, offices, news outlets-social media, baseball uniforms etc.) The music is alright, nothing to flashy but not memorable so far. The acting is fine too. 

Not a huge NGM fan but he is fine here.

I like his character. He's peculiar & has a reserve demeanor. He's also has a level headed attitude about things. He takes pictures of food too? I wonder what's his end goal is? I like the way he handle/resolves things so far. He keeps everything professional. He makes championships out of team but they end up disbanded? That's very interesting. The director hired him for that reason? I wonder what will happen to the team. I want to see how his character develop along the way. 

I'm not familiar with the lead actress at all. This is my first time watching PEB in anything. I like her character too. I like how SY starts understanding/working with SS already. I dont think there's anything striking about PEB's acting-style so far but I have to watch more to see. I wonder how old her character is on the show since she supposed to be one of the youngest on the team operation/management department? It says she's been with the company for 10 years? 

I'm glad that prick was traded out of the team. Hes just super unstable & wants the limelight to himself. Good riddance. Also, the scene in ep.1 where SS becomes the general manager & SY swears "What the f-ck" in ENG was so funny and then instead of saying the f-word she said 'funny, friend' lol. 

• Like 7

Namgoong Min Draws His Allies Close And Enemies Closer In “Stove League”

Jan 17, 2020
by C. Hong

3cfd4ed84a7d4284b96eebe817307219.jpeg?s=

Namgoong Min’s long game in “Stove League” is just beginning!

“Stove League” tells the story of the management team behind Dreams, a professional baseball team that has placed last in its league for several years. The team receives a shakeup in the form of Baek Seung Soo (Namgoong Min), an unconventional general manager, who revitalizes the passion of longtime manager Lee Se Young (Park Eun Bin).

Spoiler

After being forced out of Dreams by his boss Kwon Kyung Min (Oh Jung Se), who is secretly trying to sabotage the team, Baek Seung Soo took a trip home to visit his family. His brother (Yoon Sun Woo) told the other members of Dreams’ management team about their family circumstances, prompting Lee Se Young to launch a successful PR campaign to bring their manager back.

Although Lee Se Young previously accused Baek Seung Soo of only being in a job for the money and not having any fellow-feeling towards his colleagues, new stills released by SBS show that the two have forged a much stronger working relationship. They observe the players practicing together and respectfully listen to what each other has to say. Now that Lee Se Young knows that Baek Seung Soo plans to help the team actually win, she is determined to do everything she can to help that goal come true.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1377585wpp/namgoong-min-draws-his-allies-close-and-enemies-closer-in-stove-league

The article says that episode 10 of “Stove League” airs on January 17 at 10 p.m. KST.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like that the story is not necessarily about just about baseball as in the players/game but the team behind the scene. It's a refreshing perspective to see from. 

Ep. 3-4 were great. I like it much more than the first 2. I like that SS is changing the system for the better. He picking out the rotten apples & instilling the good ones. He's very articulate & particular in ways of doing things. It's a good thing that the scout manager Go was fired. How can you take bribe money like that & the fact that the CEO would only punish him instead of firing him is absurd?! Yang wasn't necessarily a saint himself but he didnt take bribes from people & he cared for his players well-being.

I wonder if Executive Director really wants to disband the team or is it because of his uncle only? Its funny that he thought SS was some person he  an just push/bend at his whim. SS keeps doing the opposite of what EDirector ask for lol. I see that the disbandment is for financial reasons? I mean that just sucks <_<. Alot of people/fans look up to Dream. SS lives in an apartment with his brother who's a college student? But he also has a mother. SY lives in apartment w/her mother but her father is deceased? I like that even though the two leads have a pretty well paid job they dont have a luxurious lifestyle & live in apartments with their family. It feels nice & realistic. 

Ep.5-6. were sooo good. 

Love seeing different general managers from diff teams battling it out. It's so interesting. Team Dream vs Team Pelican for the draft & it sucks they didnt get him. Makes me think about American sports where draft picks, players are contracted/paid crazy-millions $$$ :crazy:. I hope the bench & pitch team managers

/group learn to work together. Jae Hui wanting to go to Cali lol for vacation, he's been a great asset. Wow, I'm so happy for Gil & his story is so endearing :tears:. I didnt realize he was an actual player & good one to boot. Im glad he returned to play ball in his home country. Such a great person, so caring to his wife. 

EDirector doesnt know whether he's impressed or angry at SS lol. Wonder if EDirector will change his mind along the way? I really like seeing all the characters discuss w/eachother in their meetings. SS's brother used to be a baseball player. The interview scene with him was so good. This ep. made me tear up:tears: with the brother's backstory & the significance of using the pseudonym "Robinson". Btw, the dialogue in this show is great. SY making SS see things in a different light was good since he's so rational in the way he see things. Also, SS used to be married to that woman in the beginning? Its also nice to see divorced couple still have a good relationship w/eachother.

Its nice having a male character like SS who's knows what's hes doing & very good at it too. He's very mature/sensible. It helps that NGM is older so his age is very befitting of the character he portrays in this

drama. I like that his own way of thinking is challenged/changed throughout the course of the show, like with his brother. I'm enjoying his role & invested in this show/story more than Doctor Prison. Although I liked his character in that show too. The layers & details of the characters adds richness to the overall set up to the story. 

• Like 7

“Stove League” Sees Increase In Ratings For Yet Another Personal Best

“Stove League” Sees Increase In Ratings For Yet Another Personal Best

Jan 18, 2020
by R. Jun
SBS’s “Stove League” has reached a new personal best in viewership ratings!

According to Nielsen Korea, the January 17 broadcast of the drama recorded nationwide averages of 12.9, 15.5, and 17 percent viewership for its three parts, for a 1.5 point increase from the drama’s previous episode. In it’s most-watched minute, the drama peaked at 19.4 percent viewership.

Meanwhile, JTBC’s “Chocolate” recorded a nationwide average of 3.8 percent, while Channel A’s “Touch” recorded 0.9 percent.

Cr: https://www.soompi.com/article/1377695wpp/stove-league-sees-increase-in-ratings-for-yet-another-personal-best

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

Wait...so they had 3 mini eps last night? 

EDIT -  Each episode is 20min long?  So weird.  I guess more space for commercial breaks... :blink:

Read about that in Korean site but coz I google translate it so not really understand. Lol. But, its true they tried to squeezed the ads. The question is, are they airing a 30min per episode or the just put 20 tiny min episode?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, yoeda said:

The question is, are they airing a 30min per episode or the just put 20 tiny min episode?

I just watched and it was 3 mini episodes of 20min each.  Last night’s episodes felt a bit underwhelming after the gut wrenching ending last week (where he wept holding the baby)?  It just felt a bit clunky...changing gears.  The first minute or so bridged last ep to the business side of things again at Dreams...it just felt very...sudden.  But I guess they wanted to get back on track ASAP?  This episode we get more of the backstory about Kwon (maroon suited baddie).  It humanizes him somewhat.  Guess we will find out what happens tonight.  BSS is still creating waves... even the Chairman of Jaesong is taking notice of him. :lol:  The baby episode seems to have been cathartic for BSS.  It looks like he’s finally resolved his guilt?  With his ex and also his brother?  And moving on?  Allowing himself to finally just enjoy life for a change...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ep. 7-8  Negotiating Time!

CEO & EDirector really dont understand/SS's work ethics at all. They always ask him to do things their way & he completely does the opposite & succeeds at it too. Love seeing the difference in power play. SS is so good at what he does, sometimes it's okay to feel vulnerable/in need of help sometimes. Btw, Go & that little schemer Deputy can eat dust <_<. SY not taking that catcher's bullshxt in the bar :w00t:B). All those workers talking about SS's brother p*sses me off :angry:. How dare they have SS voluntarily resign & use his brother/Gil as excuses. 

Ep. 9 was great. I love seeing the back story of SS & his family & the significance of the food picture taking. It's very endearing. Makes the viewers understand SS character a much more & why he is they way he is. I love how his colleagues worked together to help him. I'm glad he got his job back but at what cost?  The scene of SS holding the baby:tears:. The music on this show really grew on me, especially the one bgm that's plays during the emotional scenes. The cast of characters has been great too. Really enjoy the incoporation of SS's brother on the team. I love how SY's character and everyone else sort of rub off on SS. 

This show is like an onion, full of layers. Good layers, not stinky ones lol. I noticed that the ratings for Stove League spiked up immensely in the later episodes compared to the first 2. That's awesome. I believe the first 2 ep. Was around 3-5%. Now, it's the late teen%.:w00t: I'm watching this on Viki btw so still waiting for ep.10 with ENG subs.

• Like 5

Seung Soo tried his best to built a stronger team. he is right that, on paper, he did what he thought it is best with little resourses he had. Now let see the result. It won`t be easy over night but there is potential in this team. I liked how Seung Soo wants to motivate every member of the team.

We find out more about Kwon. He has insecurities, feels inferior about his status in his family but he has his pride. He wants to prove his uncle and he wants to control Seung Soo. He is so frustrated that Baek Seung Soo won`t budge from his principles in front of "autority" but I think he would like to be like him. Knowing more about his family (his father worked for the team and he grew up around the Dreams) I think he will change his mind about the disbandment. It will be his growth as a chracter if he will find what he really wants to do in life, tp convince his uncle to give Dreams another chance. There has to be another solution for both parties. 

I wonder if Im Dong-Kyu is doing drugs. Seung Soo was right that he deosn`t heard anything about that but I wonder if his "sixth sense" alarmed him about that. I hope not. I want to good fight between all the teams and the best team to win. 

Im Dong Kyu has a super motivation to prove Seung Soo and the Dreams that they made a mistake to selll him. His ego was hurt. Perhaps that` s why he is training for hard now. He has something to prove. As long as that will be shown on the field it is alright. I hope he learn something from his expericence. His stardom rises too much and he lost  his common sense. I hope the whole experience brought him to his feet on the ground. 

Im Dong-Kyu vs Kang Du-Ki will be a pleasure to watch for baseball fans. 

• Like 4