Quantcast
lynne22

[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Gank Your Heart 陪你到世界之巅

@themarchioness ahahahaha a slip when I typed... meant to say Ye xiu hahahahah... Ye Xiu and Su Mucheng is my dream team :P and ahh yeah... haha.. there's not much to be say about TKA for me lols.. personally I think the anime / donghua is better in making me feel emotional. Huang Shiaotian is a delight in both Live Action and Anime tho.. haha.. he is so much fun to watch.. 

@angelangie Hmmm.. Lin Long.... *scrambles to google the drama* looks interesting... lets see how it goes later when it airs... I know... I know I sound like a pessimist haha.. but its C-drama  you know... sometimes being cautious is better :P 

Anyway.. lunch break is over.. gotta run...... 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

18 minutes ago, owlstar said:

I was so afraid she was going to slip at that follow up appointment and talk about QY's "two-timing", and I'm so glad she didn't!  As much as it would drive the plot forward, it just breaks such professionalism boundaries and would've left him him with a bad impression of her that would be really hard to fix later, if it can be fixed at all.  

Luo Tian does have that air of, "My good opinion once lost is lost forever" (Fitzwilliam Darcy) feel about him so I definitely didn't want Zi Lan to do anything that would cross that line.  I mean, I feel like Qiu Ying just made it back into his good graces and she had the help of Xiang Kong who made Luo Tian give her a second look.  :P  But I love that I was able to provoke that concerned reaction out of you as you were reading! 

19 minutes ago, owlstar said:

(I guess product placement really works lol). 

Guilty!  *raises hand*  

20 minutes ago, owlstar said:

LOL omg don't get me started, or I won't be able to stop myself from uncontrollably gif spamming this thread. :lol:

*whispers: But why would you want to stop yourself....*  :naughty::innocent::tounge_wink:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

7 minutes ago, lynne22 said:

@themarchioness ahahahaha a slip when I typed... meant to say Ye xiu hahahahah... Ye Xiu and Su Mucheng is my dream team :P and ahh yeah... haha..

Huang Shiaotian is a delight in both Live Action and Anime tho.. haha.. he is so much fun to watch.. 

Aaaannnddd now you've gone and crushed my heart again.  :lol: 

I agree that Shiaotian was a hoot.  But the funniest thing for me about him is I once knew a guy with that nickname, and he was known for hardly ever saying a word.  LOL.  How can I not think of that when I watch Shiaotian talking nonstop in the drama?

• LOL 2

3 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Luo Tian does have that air of, "My good opinion once lost is lost forever" (Fitzwilliam Darcy) feel about him so I definitely didn't want Zi Lan to do anything that would cross that line.  I mean, I feel like Qiu Ying just made it back into his good graces and she had the help of Xiang Kong who made Luo Tian give her a second look.

Lol Luo Tian is such a judgy porcupine but we love him anyway.  Helps that he's easy on the eyes. ;) 

3 hours ago, themarchioness said:

*whispers: But why would you want to stop yourself....*  

Hahaha your enabling is not doing much to help me hide my (not so) secret Yibo bias. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, lynne22 said:

Huang Shiaotian is a delight in both Live Action and Anime tho.. haha.. he is so much fun to watch.. 

He was definitely a favorite and memorable character!  I just start smiling already every time he comes on screen.  How can anyone talk so much so continuously and still be able to focus on their game. :lol:

• LOL 2

On 1/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, raziela said:

@themarchioness @owlstarI totally agree with your thoughts on The King's Avatar.  I can't give as in-depth review as I dropped it but the characters just didn't feel believable to me at all. I just found them completely 2-D.  It seemed like they only existed to live for the game, play the game, talk about the game and none of their dialogue or interactions felt authentic. I didn't feel any genuine chemistry between the characters which is a pity as ragtag team of misfits coming together and winning is one of my favourite tropes when done well (for example, Gank Your Heart).  

You know, I think that's the thing. King's Avatar is all about the game, it's like a sports movie/series, the characters live and breathe it, their character exploration and development is through it. Ye Xiu, your resident OP protag is partially OP to essentially tell you how far the game can go, his time and love and encyclopaedia knowledge reinforce living and breathing the game.

The drama reduce the amount of gaming (it's seriously 95% of the book) and rewrote some of the character development, it's more natural in the book since it's so long, compared to a rather formulaic route the drama had to take, since it needed char intro + conflict + resolve to develop char. This doesn't get into the writing that obviously fell flat for most people here, or the unatural sharp swerve for dramatic tension. Hilariously enough, the book's fandom is so huge because it's known for massive cast of well developed characters, but I digress.

Whereas GYH is more characters who happen to be in the field, hell, the spend about 10% of the time on the game itself, which got it bashed in the beginning because general consensus is "esport players have no time for romance" + Qiu Ying bashing since she's clueless and peope are quick to judge and dismiss her as generic cute dumb girl. But that's fully intentional because there's a growing supportive relationship and arc for Qiu Ying. 

@themarchioness An Wenyi came to actually liking the game and want to support the team properly iirc. They played him too over the top (get someone else to rank you to the top and you can't debuff? excuse me?), but he was interesting because you don't see assertive support with an attitude. Luo Ji is like your data analysis guy on a regular esports team. It's just their team is too amateur to consider hiring him like one. XD He's vital for strategy planning but you don't really see it as much since that's the boring part of esports I guess. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, skibbies said:

Hilariously enough, the book's fandom is so huge because it's known for massive cast of well developed characters, but I digress.

Just by the fact that the book and its characters can have a whole Wikifandom (and an animated series), I definitely got the impression that things are more fleshed out in the book than in the drama and that there is a lot more story to tell.  ;) 

@themarchioness An Wenyi came to actually liking the game and want to support the team properly iirc. They played him too over the top (get someone else to rank you to the top and you can't debuff? excuse me?), but he was interesting because you don't see assertive support with an attitude. Luo Ji is like your data analysis guy on a regular esports team. It's just their team is too amateur to consider hiring him like one. XD He's vital for strategy planning but you don't really see it as much since that's the boring part of esports I guess. 

Yes, I know An Wenyi did come around to seeing the merits of the Happy team, which is why he stayed, and even felt a little bad towards Yifan (not that he expressed it anyway), and lost some of that chip on his shoulder, but I don't really recall him assimilating with the others either.  Basically, once he joined the team, I didn't feel like his character developed anymore.  There frankly was not enough shown to us of his character, which is why I went from "dislike" to "meh," and never 'like' with respect to him (nor could I bring myself to care about him).  As for Luo Ji, it's not that I didn't understand his role within the team or his importance.  My point was more that he felt like a window dressing character.  You need him to be there in the drama because there is such a position in the team, but as for who he is and how he gets along with/relates to his teammates, the drama doesn't really show us other than seeing him being dragged along.  (I don't even recall how he spent that break time when the team decided to split up and consider whether they really should stay together as a team.)  

Maybe it's different for you because you've read the book and are already familiar with the ins and outs of these characters.  But based strictly on the drama alone, my opinion is that it's best understood as a character introduction and something that lays the groundwork for a season 2.

+ Qiu Ying bashing since she's clueless and peope are quick to judge and dismiss her as generic cute dumb girl. But that's fully intentional because there's a growing supportive relationship and arc for Qiu Ying. 

Ugh, I have seen comments on other sites where Qiu Ying gets a lot of hate and I seriously don't understand it when they say they don't like her character.  I'm like, "You don't like a hard worker?"  I think the drama does a good job of explaining that the reason she's unfamiliar with the game is because this was not her original line of work.  She only got introduced to it after the two departments at Planet Video merged.  But what was admirable about her was that she actually wanted to take the time to learn the craft and improve her skill base, and it was her boss who kept pushing at her by saying that would take time she couldn't afford.  Similarly, a lot of the pushing she did to get an interview with Gu Fang, and more, was because she needed to keep her job and not because she actually she wanted to.  There were times she tried to push back against her boss.  But, ultimately, she also had her hardships and needed a paycheck and that is something Xiang Kong came to understand as well.  Both Qiu Ying and Xiang Kong were looking at each other through their own perspectives initially, and then it was as they interacted more and got to know each other better that their beautiful story started.  

Sorry, rant over.  I know that is like preaching to the choir to all of you here.  But this is just the rant reply that I never bother posting elsewhere because I know it'll fall on deaf ears anyway.  :P 

• Like 2

@themarchioness ah yeah most of the characters didn't develop further since it was more char ep + game ep (which shows the group dynamic & teamwork but it's all game centric). Qiao Yifan's develipment is better but it's still sort of back & forth and some can see it as wonky. It's very much game > characters kind of story. I've only read up to I think ep 10ish of the drama, so I don't actually know half the team. I actually feel in s2 they'd do similar thing, where you see them play against a team, and it goes into the other team's backstory and stuff, it's sort of like some shounen sports anime series (I don't really watch sports tv series so that's what it reminds me of). They might grow as a team but it'd be similar to the break off this season (which I believe is drama original, and I did like. Even if 

there's criticism about about them falling apart too easily just cos they lost/YX is gone). 

Re: Qiu Ying, that's the thing, they didn't watch further. A lot of people seem to have missed she's new to the industry too. The following them to the bar and filming in secret gave a pretty bad inpression, I think it's pretty understandable since she was desperate to keep her job, but they don't seem to see it from her pov? A lot of audience have seen too many terribly written female characters, so they are quick to judge (idol drama + clueless/naive) AND also judge female characters much harsher. I've seen other well written women being criticised left and right, and often different characters in the same drama for completely opposite reasons, guess no female characters are well written enough for them. 

• Like 3

Guys in desperate need of help...

I cant find Gank your heart special episode 1 (2019) . If anyone knows a place where i can watch the special episode subbed itll be a huge help. thnx...