[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Gank Your Heart 陪你到世界之巅

Lynne

On 10/21/2019 at 11:09 PM, themarchioness said:

He was/is such a petty jerk!  I rewatched a few episodes along with a friend this past weekend and one thing that really stood out to me in that scene where PX was cutting cake before leaving VNG was how, in addition to Qi Yue gave him a hard time about that decision, Li Gan did too.  I get that his departure put the team in a bind, but all's fair in love and war.  And it's not like he did not anything untoward or broke a contract in order to leave.  He waited for it to end and took another opportunity that came along.  Sure there's the loyalty factor and whatnot, but PX knew that wasn't going to get him far and honestly, I actually give him a lot of props for realizing his limitations - not just at VNG, but personally as well, and knowing that he needed someone like XK on his side to win the world championships.  That's why Shu Wen was so much the better person when she just walked up to him, stuck out her hand for shake, and wished him well.  You just can't take these things personally, which is something Li Gan never learned.  

He is a really small, petty man in mentality and temperament with an ineriority complex.  VNG wouldn't have got anywhere with him at the helm if not for Shu Wen.

Haha, when I shared that moment with @phikyl she said it was only natural that PX would turn out to be an effective pacifier given his method of using doggy lollipops to shut others up.  LOL.

:open_mouth: Oh wow! :lol:That is an astute observation.

Ohhhhh the mental images.  :wub:  @lynne22 what do you think about that?!  I bet his class is popular with the girls... sudden influx of women playing iConquer competitively!  :P 

Definitely.  Then they see the ring on his finger and find out his wife is beautiful and famous commentator lmao!

:joy: One wonders what Yi Yi would have to say if she knew about that.  ;)  

If she's spent more than 5 minutes with YX she probably isn't surprised :joy:

ETA: I’m out of story ideas for now. Maybe something will occur to me when I marathon the drama with another friend this coming weekend, but otherwise I’m open to suggestions! I just make no promises as my muse has to be able to feel it. :)

The fact that you are still marathoning this drama.  You are the most dedicated fan!  

My suggestions (absolutely no pressure): story with more jealous XK:P; XK's marriage proposal:wub:; Luo Tian meets a nice girl^_^; something involving the young Legends team; 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, owlstar said:

There's even Yibo (and XZ) fanfics (don't ask me how I know :ph34r:).

(I forgot to reply to this yesterday @owlstar!  Sorry!)  LOL, I'm not surprised to hear that at all. 

5 hours ago, raziela said:

He is a really small, petty man in mentality and temperament with an ineriority complex.  VNG wouldn't have got anywhere with him at the helm if not for Shu Wen.

Seriously.  It really drove me nuts how every time something didn't go the way Li Gan wanted with Shu Wen, he'd blame it on her "inability" to get over Sun Ge.  How about maybe it's just the fact that you're not her type, bud?  I really don't think she'd have accepted him even if there wasn't a Sun Ge!  But he just could not get that.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:09 PM, themarchioness said:

Ohhhhh the mental images.  :wub:  @lynne22 what do you think about that?!  I bet his class is popular with the girls... sudden influx of women playing iConquer competitively!  :P 

Definitely.  Then they see the ring on his finger and find out his wife is beautiful and famous commentator lmao!

You said you wanted more jealousy stories, right?  This is giving me some ideas... except it'd be going totally off canon at this point . . . but I'm already off canon so surely nobody will mind?

As for Luo Tian meeting someone, if I could think of a person (or type of person) for him to meet, I would totally write it!  Even something short.  The wheels in my brain only keep spinning though without actually getting anywhere...

The fact that you are still marathoning this drama.  You are the most dedicated fan!  

LOL.  I don't know whether I should be proud or embarrassed by that.  :ph34r:  At least I've been able to move on to watch other dramas now.  Now I'm just watching with friends as it's my method of getting them to watch it!  Fortunately the reactions have been positive even if some were initially wary because of the whole gaming concept; gamers we are not.  :P 

14 hours ago, raziela said:

My suggestions (absolutely no pressure): story with more jealous XK:P; XK's marriage proposal:wub:l; Luo Tian meets a nice girl^_^

I second all of these!

8 hours ago, themarchioness said:

It really drove me nuts how every time something didn't go the way Li Gan wanted with Shu Wen, he'd blame it on her "inability" to get over Sun Ge.  How about maybe it's just the fact that you're not her type, bud?  I really don't think she'd have accepted him even if there wasn't a Sun Ge!  But he just could not get that.

Reminds me of the whole surprise proposal thing at her birthday gathering... the biggest facepalm ever.  Like in what world did he think she was going to accept when they weren't even dating?!

8 hours ago, themarchioness said:

You said you wanted more jealousy stories, right?  This is giving me some ideas... except it'd be going totally off canon at this point . . . but I'm already off canon so surely nobody will mind?

As for Luo Tian meeting someone, if I could think of a person (or type of person) for him to meet, I would totally write it!  Even something short.  The wheels in my brain only keep spinning though without actually getting anywhere...

I know what you mean, they have such a healthy relationship lol that it would take a lot for JXK to be truly jealous but that doesn't mean I don't want to see it!  Maybe whatever makes him jealous will be the kick in the pant he needs to get a move on that marriage proposal? :)

As for Luo Tian, I feel like he could even have his own spin-off book... I just have no clue who he would end up liking and how his story would go.

9 hours ago, owlstar said:

Reminds me of the whole surprise proposal thing at her birthday gathering... the biggest facepalm ever.  Like in what world did he think she was going to accept when they weren't even dating?!

Oh, I know.  And to go out of his way to ensure Sun Ge was in attendance too.  Makes me mad.  Every. Single. Time.  That was like the lowest move ever.  (Really don't understand why he was so shocked by the rejection???  I love how even Summer who's normally so cheery, positive, and tries to stay impartial was like, "Dude... what was wrong with you?")

9 hours ago, owlstar said:

As for Luo Tian, I feel like he could even have his own spin-off book... I just have no clue who he would end up liking and how his story would go.

An idea just occurred to me.  Luo Tian continues to have gastric issues.  QY gets fed up and sends him to the hospital for a check up.  He falls in love with the doctor who ends up seeing him, but she misunderstands and thinks QY's his partner.  Now everyone go and imagine how that would play out in a drama!  :P 

10 hours ago, owlstar said:

That scene was beyond cringe. Li Gan really came across as kind of obsessed and crazy.  How did he think that was OK or appropriate?:weary:

17 hours ago, themarchioness said:

As for Luo Tian meeting someone, if I could think of a person (or type of person) for him to meet, I would totally write it!  Even something short.  The wheels in my brain only keep spinning though without actually getting anywhere..

8 hours ago, owlstar said:

I know what you mean, they have such a healthy relationship lol that it would take a lot for JXK to be truly jealous but that doesn't mean I don't want to see it!  Maybe whatever makes him jealous will be the kick in the pant he needs to get a move on that marriage proposal? :)

I like @owlstar's idea of combining two of those ideas!  Nothing too crazy as XK is a laid back guy and I can't see him going all possessive and crazy the way some fanfic writers might write him but I would definitely love to see a little bit more of green-eyed XK :flushed:

17 hours ago, themarchioness said:

LOL.  I don't know whether I should be proud or embarrassed by that.  :ph34r:  At least I've been able to move on to watch other dramas now.  Now I'm just watching with friends as it's my method of getting them to watch it!  Fortunately the reactions have been positive even if some were initially wary because of the whole gaming concept; gamers we are not.  :P 

You are definitely the best ambassador.  Getting all us non-gamers into a gaming (on the surface) drama :lol:

52 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I love how even Summer who's normally so cheery, positive, and tries to stay impartial was like, "Dude... what was wrong with you?")

LMAO when even Summer turns on you that's when you know you messed up!:lol:

53 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

An idea just occurred to me.  Luo Tian continues to have gastric issues.  QY gets fed up and sends him to the hospital for a check up.  He falls in love with the doctor who ends up seeing him, but she misunderstands and thinks QY's his partner.  Now everyone go and imagine how that would play out in a drama!  :P 

I like it!

Ahhhhhhhh I finally got back to Soompi, it's been shunning me out for weeks. Excuse me while I catch up on three pages of replies.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:53 AM, themarchioness said:

Hehehe, I have been following this conversation of yours and @raziela with amusement, and my only contribution to the conversation is this: Do we know that they didn't contribute?  And even if they didn't, must they have contributed?  Difficult questions to answer, I think, but I would observe that the Pioneer gave them a place to train - for free - and that's huge.  Property isn't cheap!  And we also know that from QY's observations when she was trying to find a place for them.  Also, the Phenix team clearly got money from somewhere to renovate the training base (I'll repeat, as I know I've said it before: they added a whole kitchen!) and equip the place with computers and other furniture.  Apart from those two observations, I think we should just leave everything else to how we would like our imaginations to answer those questions. ;) 

:P 

Yeah I was happy that they gave them a place to use as base, I did expect more financial help for some reason. Good point about the kitchen hahaha. I think the computers were from The King? I remember an offhand comment from Lin Yixuan.

Thank you @skibbies for sharing the details re: PX's book.  Just to clarify though because originally when I read your post I'd understood it to mean that PX had left the Phenix team.  But now that I'm rereading your post, it sounds like he's still with the Phenix team, just playing with a different set of teammates who play a different type of computer game rather than MOBA (do they still call it iConquer in the book or something else)?  I know IRL one esport organization can house a lot of different teams who play different computer games and it sounds like that's the case here?

Yeah, Phoenix club opened a new branch for this FPS game, and Pei Xi transferred to the that branch and is team leader of the 1st team. (There's 1st, 2nd, junior/trainee and women's. The first two team is standard and can include back ups, the third includes lots of people) It was actually pretty neat to see Pei Xi develop more, since he doesn't have XK to guide him anymore, he had to learn to be more communicative and work really hard to develop strategies and figure out how to work around teammate's weak points etc.

As for the game in GYH, it's just called Conquer, I have no idea why the drama have to add the i, that's not trendy anymore, drama! Oh the book also mentions Phoenix Conquer team also won ten (!) champions in the last year. I have no idea how you get ten in a year tbh, does winning the season count as champion? There's being first in the season, then there's after seasons which definitely counts. I know there's other cups but I only remember LoL having one other, there could be more world competitions too I guess.

Thank you, @lynne22 for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out!  For me, I recently read Gu Man's "You're My Glory" (mostly translated, but not quite done) and that helped me to better understand the iConquer game played in GYH.  In fact, I wished I'd read it before starting my recaps.  LOL.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/youre-my-glory/

I actually read that one too, I'm glad that her writing improved over the years even though she writes like one book every 5 years. Did you like it? I think the book version of Gank Your Heart actually does a pretty good job explaining the genre, Qiu Ying even use analogies to explain some concepts lol.

On 10/3/2019 at 10:16 AM, raziela said:

Thanks for explaining more.  Sounds like they have a very different dynamic to the drama and I think from what you have written I definitely prefer the drama.  That scene would have made me very embarrassed for QY:ph34r:  She sounds like so many of the typical lovestruck, needy female characters we see in C-dramas. 

I'm keeping  a close eye on this now in The King's Avatar!:lol:  I just noticed in the episode where all the teams try to take down Ye Xiu/Ye Qiu/Jun Mo Xiao there also appears to be an all-female team lead by the girl leader with two buns but they don't seem to be a relevant team in the drama.

Ahhh yeah book Qiu Ying seem more lovestruck and is definitely more needy. I didn't find her as annoying as I would in a cdrama, probably because the book was mostly from her pov, and she had decent reasons to be the way she is. It was neat to see how the author develop/explore what appears to be fairly tropey characters at first glance.

Oh yeah the all female team is from the book! They have smidge more scenes in the book since there's more elaborate fights. Their team is prominent in the pro league but is mostly second rated I think? Their team leader is a star player though. (I've only read like 1/8 of the overly long book lol)

On 10/13/2019 at 7:16 PM, adla said:

Hey, 

Does anyone know how JXK became so close to SZY? I mean i get that during college he was offered a chance to become a professional player and after college he joined a professional team, which i am guessing is not Legends but some other team. But that doesn't explain how he is so close to SZY and how SZY knows about Miya? Cause that is a secret XK didn't even mention to LYX? 

On 10/14/2019 at 4:09 AM, themarchioness said:

I'm pretty sure the first team XK joined out of college wasn't Legends, as it's implied he wasn't recruited by Gu Fang until later.  Moreover, if that had been the team he joined back then, there's no reason why he wouldn't have just said so when he shared his background story with QY.  Instead, he told her he joined a club and started his professional career without ever naming that team.  The impression we're left with is that it wasn't any sort of big team/thing, and this was just his first foray into the professional circuit.

As for how he got to be close with SZY, the drama never gives us that backstory.  Instead, I think we're left to form our own picture given what we're shown of their relationship through the drama.  For me, I imagine that XK was a frequent customer at The King and over time that's how they got to be close with SZY taking XK under his wing.  It only seems natural to me then that XK would've at some point shared his story concerning with someone whom he's regards like an older, blood brother. 

XK debuted in Korea while he was with Miya! I'm not sure if he even went to college... (even though Pei Xi offhandedly mentions playing with him years ago at college campus. It really shouldn't have been many years considering their ages, author! Book canon, Miya was a trainee for one year, Firework was invisible for almost two?but whatever)

With Gu Fang, didn't he mention that The King was how they met? Or was that just how XK met Lin Yixuan? Book canon, they both debuted in Newland and got the team to second rated due to XK's strategies and Lin Yixuan's mad skills as support. After a year, Gu Fang recruited him and Lin Yixuan just followed him. (Subsequently, LYX also played for Newland briefly, I think for a season? there's two seasons in a year by the way. After XK/Shu Wen got him out of Legends, XK was still with VPG at the time) So XK's career was: x years in Korea, a year at Newland, a year at Legends, a year at VPG, a year at Phoenix.

Sun Ge is very older brother-y, he tends to take care of everyone. So I think it make sense after they've gotten close, XK would share that with him. He could have gone to him for advice and such. LYX is a great pal, but I wouldn't necessarily go to him for advice, plus he's the kind that would unconditionally support XK regardless, whereas Sun Zeyi seem more like the type that would provide guidance, especially when it's a difficult situation (such as the case with Miya). Book canon, XK comes from a single parent family with no father figure (mum + maternal grandma), so Sun Ge also fills that gap.

On 10/10/2019 at 12:09 PM, themarchioness said:

Story #4 – Meet the Parents

Super late thumbs up and congratulations for finally finishing recaps! You are so so dedicated, I'm in awe. Love all the fics you've been writing, your characterisation is just so on point ahhhh! This is probably my favourite so far, it's just so sweet to see how the official meet the parents would go. I love how Xia Ling is the entire story, and how Xiang Kong knows how to handle him. The ending bit with the parents is just perfect, a little melancholy but also blissful. 

@skibbies!  So good to see your name pop up in the thread again.  I figured you must've gotten busy with RL, but it turns out you were having Soompi issues.  How frustrating that must've been for you.  But I'm glad you made it back in.  :) 

1 hour ago, skibbies said:

Yeah I was happy that they gave them a place to use as base, I did expect more financial help for some reason. Good point about the kitchen hahaha. I think the computers were from The King? I remember an offhand comment from Lin Yixuan.

Speaking personally, I assumed the computers would've either come from The King and/or Dream Journey.  It made sense from the perspective that they'd have the resources to share.  But I don't remember anything being explicitly said in the drama and I searched through my recap document and couldn't find anything either.  But I've a friend visiting this weekend and the goal is to marathon the entire drama, so I'll keep my ears peeled.  :P 

Yeah, Phoenix club opened a new branch for this FPS game, and Pei Xi transferred to the that branch and is team leader of the 1st team.

Thank you for clarifying that point for me.  As mentioned, when I read your post initially, I thought PX had left Phoenix altogether and that made me really sad to hear.  Like there's no way I'd ever want to read his book if that was the case!  But it's fine if he just transferred to a different branch but stayed within the organization!  Haha.  I'm also glad to hear this change challenged him and gave him opportunities for new growth and development. 

Oh the book also mentions Phoenix Conquer team also won ten (!) champions in the last year. I have no idea how you get ten in a year tbh, does winning the season count as champion?

LOL.  Maybe there are a lot of random tournaments they participate in too?  I don't know.... hehe.

On 9/30/2019 at 5:53 PM, themarchioness said:

Thank you, @lynne22 for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out!  For me, I recently read Gu Man's "You're My Glory" (mostly translated, but not quite done) and that helped me to better understand the iConquer game played in GYH.  In fact, I wished I'd read it before starting my recaps.  LOL.

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/youre-my-glory/

I actually read that one too, I'm glad that her writing improved over the years even though she writes like one book every 5 years. Did you like it? I think the book version of Gank Your Heart actually does a pretty good job explaining the genre, Qiu Ying even use analogies to explain some concepts lol.

I did like "You're My Glory"; it was cute!  I've since read "The Most Majestic You," which I also enjoyed, and I'm also caught up with the translated chapters for "You're Beautiful When You Smile."  I didn't realize when I started that translations were still a WIP so now it's torture waiting for new posts to be shared.  I would say that book helped the most in understanding how the genre works.  I would read GYH if it were translated.  :P 

With Gu Fang, didn't he mention that The King was how they met? Or was that just how XK met Lin Yixuan?

In the drama, we got a flashback showing us how Gu Fang visited The King to scout XK.  As for YX, in a different flashback, we saw how XK had followed him on one of his food deliveries to talk to him.  We can assume he learned about YX either because their paths had crossed while playing games at The King and he liked what he saw or he liked what he saw through the game and tracked him down by his username ID. 

Speaking of Gu Fang scouting XK, when I rewatched the retirement party scene last weekend, there was an interesting conversation between the Pioneer members after Zhao Yang stopped by their table and made pointed hints concerning PX.  After they wondered if Zhao Yang was trying to steal PX from VNG, Shu Wen asked what kind of a result they thought they would see if PX and XK were teamed up.  Luo Tian speculated it would be something pretty amazing to watch, while Gu Fang joked that it sounded like she was the one who was trying steal XK from Legends. Shu Wen then retorted back that if he hadn't gotten there first two years ago, XK would have been a member of VNG.  Gu Fang then responded that XK would never have gone to VNG. 

Two points of interest from that conversation.  First we learn that it's been two years since XK has been with Legends, which confirms in answer to @adla's earlier question that (in the drama version of the story) XK did not play for the Legends team straight out of college.  Rather, he was with another team first before being scouted by Gu Fang and transferring over.  Second... Gu Fang's comment that even if Shu Wen had gotten to XK first, he would not have gone to VNG... I found that verrrrry interesting.  On the one hand, it can be properly understood as just some teasing diss-type comments between close friends.  But on the other hand, I also can't help but read some deeper meaning into that comment and feel that underneath Gu Fang's teasing retort, he was also implying XK would not have been inclined to go to VNG because of the Shu Wen/Sun Ge conundrum.  That latter thought didn't occur to me until this most recent rewatch.

2 hours ago, skibbies said:

Sun Ge is very older brother-y, he tends to take care of everyone. So I think it make sense after they've gotten close, XK would share that with him. He could have gone to him for advice and such. LYX is a great pal, but I wouldn't necessarily go to him for advice, plus he's the kind that would unconditionally support XK regardless, whereas Sun Zeyi seem more like the type that would provide guidance, especially when it's a difficult situation (such as the case with Miya).

Totally agree with this.  It's not that he can't trust YX, it's just they have a different type of dynamic to their friendship, so I can also easily picture why XK wouldn't have told YX about Miya but would tell Sun Ge.  I mean, we can think about it in these terms: Sun Ge is to XK what XK is to YX.  You move to the left for advice and life guidance, but not the right.  :P  

2 hours ago, skibbies said:

Super late thumbs up and congratulations for finally finishing recaps!  Love all the fics you've been writing, your characterisation is just so on point ahhhh!

Thank you!  Glad you have been enjoying the fics as well!!!  :D 

On 10/23/2019 at 7:06 PM, raziela said:

LMAO when even Summer turns on you that's when you know you messed up!:lol:

:joy:

On 10/23/2019 at 4:04 PM, raziela said:

Nothing too crazy as XK is a laid back guy and I can't see him going all possessive and crazy the way some fanfic writers might write him but I would definitely love to see a little bit more of green-eyed XK 

Haha yes, I like that they trust each other a lot so they don't need to be all possessive and clingy.  But it's good to shake things up a little sometimes.  :)

11 hours ago, skibbies said:

Sun Ge is very older brother-y, he tends to take care of everyone. So I think it make sense after they've gotten close, XK would share that with him. He could have gone to him for advice and such. LYX is a great pal, but I wouldn't necessarily go to him for advice, plus he's the kind that would unconditionally support XK regardless, whereas Sun Zeyi seem more like the type that would provide guidance, especially when it's a difficult situation (such as the case with Miya). Book canon, XK comes from a single parent family with no father figure (mum + maternal grandma), so Sun Ge also fills that gap.

Thanks for sharing details from the book!  I really like Sun Ge and JXK's relationship.  Even more than Gu Fang & JXK I think.  To me Gu Fang is someone JXK looks up to, but Sun Ge is basically family.  

9 hours ago, themarchioness said:

I did like "You're My Glory"; it was cute!  I've since read "The Most Majestic You," which I also enjoyed, and I'm also caught up with the translated chapters for "You're Beautiful When You Smile."  I didn't realize when I started that translations were still a WIP so now it's torture waiting for new posts to be shared.  I would say that book helped the most in understanding how the genre works.  I would read GYH if it were translated.  :P 

I really wish I understood enough to be able to read novels in Chinese.  I appreciate translations but I'm sure a lot of meaning gets lost in the process, and I have no patience to wait chapter by chapter (and sometimes people just drop the project midway through!).  

On 10/23/2019 at 3:12 PM, themarchioness said:

This sounds good!  I guess LT has a thing for people who worry about his health?  :P

2 hours ago, owlstar said:

I really like Sun Ge and JXK's relationship.  Even more than Gu Fang & JXK I think.  To me Gu Fang is someone JXK looks up to, but Sun Ge is basically family.  

Me too!

I really wish I understood enough to be able to read novels in Chinese.  I appreciate translations but I'm sure a lot of meaning gets lost in the process, and I have no patience to wait chapter by chapter (and sometimes people just drop the project midway through!).  

Even in recapping I can attest that sometimes things do get lost in the translation; it's inevitable.  But I do also find it amusing when sometimes I see translators doing a literal translation and that doesn't work so well either; I can usually translate it back into Chinese in my head and go, "Oh!  That's what was probably said," and then I chuckle.  :P 

In any event, if you are interested in any of these novels, "My Majestic You" is completely translated and "You're My Glory" is almost complete. It just has one more epilogue to go and I think the translator will be getting it to it next month or so (hopefully!).  I also like the work done by the translators of "You're My Glory," having read a few web novels from their site.  "You're Beautiful When You Smile," on the other hand,  has been going on for 2 years already!  But it has a very regular posting schedule, every few days, so that helps . . . even when I think about how it will probably be another 2 years before it's completed considering it's still only half-translated; yikes!  

I guess LT has a thing for people who worry about his health?  :P

:joy: When you put it like that... haha!

21 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Even in recapping I can attest that sometimes things do get lost in the translation; it's inevitable.  But I do also find it amusing when sometimes I see translators doing a literal translation and that doesn't work so well either; I can usually translate it back into Chinese in my head and go, "Oh!  That's what was probably said," and then I chuckle.  :P 

Haha... if you can reverse translate though maybe you're better off reading the source material?  But for sure, the quality of translations I've seen can vary quite a bit.  Same with subtitles for dramas I suppose although that's less jarring since it's just dialogue.

21 hours ago, themarchioness said:

In any event, if you are interested in any of these novels, "My Majestic You" is completely translated and "You're My Glory" is almost complete. It just has one more epilogue to go and I think the translator will be getting it to it next month or so (hopefully!).  I also like the work done by the translators of "You're My Glory," having read a few web novels from their site.  "You're Beautiful When You Smile," on the other hand,  has been going on for 2 years already!  But it has a very regular posting schedule, every few days, so that helps . . . even when I think about how it will probably be another 2 years before it's completed considering it's still only half-translated; yikes!  

My first translated novel (Poison Genius Consort) is a whopping 1370 chapters!  Silly me started reading thinking translations would be finished by the time I caught up with the available 700+ chapters.  But I guess I can't do math lol because there's still another 1-2 years to go even though updates are pretty regular.  Now I try not to start anything that's not complete (or nearly so).

I'll add those novels to my reading list.  Although right now I'm determined to read my way through the bajillion fanfics for a certain other drama also starring Yibo *cough*Untamed*cough*.  If you've read other completed novels that you like, even if non-gaming related, please feel free to share those too!

On 10/22/2019 at 9:08 PM, themarchioness said:

Now I'm just watching with friends as it's my method of getting them to watch it!  Fortunately the reactions have been positive even if some were initially wary because of the whole gaming concept; gamers we are not.  :P 

Have fun marathoning!  Maybe being immersed again will give you inspiration more fanfics, :)

Hello @skibbies So great to see you back on the thread again :blush:

On 10/25/2019 at 2:17 PM, owlstar said:

Thanks for sharing details from the book!  I really like Sun Ge and JXK's relationship.  Even more than Gu Fang & JXK I think.  To me Gu Fang is someone JXK looks up to, but Sun Ge is basically family.  

Me three!  I really like the Xiang Kong and Sun Ge relationship. They feel more like brothers that share everything except for blood.

Hello everybody! I found this drama while waiting for a friend to keep watching "The Untamed", I was looking through some streaming sites and I saw the thumbnail with the drama poster and I thought I recognize Lan WangJi's actor. So when I checked that in fact it was him I decided to watch it just to see him show more facial expressions. But I must admit I got hooked really fast. So, by the time I find this thread I had already watched the whole drama, but reading @themarchioness recaps I couldn't help myself, I felt like watching the drama again, I'm currently at ep 21.

I must say (like others before), that really @themarchioness is the best ambassador of this drama.

I truly enjoyed her recaps and, of course, her fanfictions. We all can see she really understand the characters. And of course I liked all the gifs, images and links shared by all the other members of this topic. I'm just a bit sad to find it so late. 

I don't seem to recall if someone has answered about the book being translated, but if it is, where can I find it?

On 10/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, owlstar said:

Haha... if you can reverse translate though maybe you're better off reading the source material? 

Not really.  I'm much better at speaking and listening to Mandarin, which is how I can sometimes deduce what was originally written from the literal English translations.  Reading and writing Chinese, on the other hand, not so much!  There's no way I'd be able to read an entire web novel, but how I wish I could!!!

I'll add those novels to my reading list.  Although right now I'm determined to read my way through the bajillion fanfics for a certain other drama also starring Yibo *cough*Untamed*cough*.  If you've read other completed novels that you like, even if non-gaming related, please feel free to share those too!

LOL.  How nice that there are so many of those that you have to "struggle" to finish them all.  :P  I haven't read a lot of Chinese web novels but there are some that I really do quite adore.  I'll send you a message some time, although I would not be surprise if our lists overlap!

Have fun marathoning!  Maybe being immersed again will give you inspiration more fanfics, :)

I just marathoned the entire drama this past weekend with a friend.  How is it that even though I've watched this drama many times already, it's still SO MUCH FUN?!  Haha.  Although, having said that, I don't know that I've ever started over from 1-35 in order.  When I'm on my own, I usually rewatch episodes at random and my other friends that I'm watching along with aren't as far along.  Anyway, the friend I marathoned with this past weekend loved it as well.  Yay!  And I definitely walked away with some ideas... ;) 

12 hours ago, liubeko said:

by the time I find this thread I had already watched the whole drama, but reading @themarchioness recaps I couldn't help myself, I felt like watching the drama again, I'm currently at ep 21.

Welcome @liubeko!  It's so nice to see another name in this thread and never fear, you're not late.  We're still here gushing over this gem of a drama.  Isn't rewatching great?  I'm glad you've enjoyed the recaps and fics as well!  As for the book, it is unfortunately not yet translated.  Others who have been kind enough to share information from the book either read it in Chinese or used google translate for assistance in understanding what happened in the book.  

12 hours ago, liubeko said:

Hello everybody! I found this drama while waiting for a friend to keep watching "The Untamed", I was looking through some streaming sites and I saw the thumbnail with the drama poster and I thought I recognize Lan WangJi's actor. So when I checked that in fact it was him I decided to watch it just to see him show more facial expressions. But I must admit I got hooked really fast. So, by the time I find this thread I had already watched the whole drama, but reading @themarchioness recaps I couldn't help myself, I felt like watching the drama again, I'm currently at ep 21.

I must say (like others before), that really @themarchioness is the best ambassador of this drama.

I truly enjoyed her recaps and, of course, her fanfictions. We all can see she really understand the characters. And of course I liked all the gifs, images and links shared by all the other members of this topic. I'm just a bit sad to find it so late. 

I don't seem to recall if someone has answered about the book being translated, but if it is, where can I find it?

Hello!  Welcome to the thread!  Great to see another new fan of the drama :grin:

I agree @themarchioness is the greatest ambassador for this drama!

18 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I just marathoned the entire drama this past weekend with a friend.  How is it that even though I've watched this drama many times already, it's still SO MUCH FUN?!  Haha.  Although, having said that, I don't know that I've ever started over from 1-35 in order.  When I'm on my own, I usually rewatch episodes at random and my other friends that I'm watching along with aren't as far along.  Anyway, the friend I marathoned with this past weekend loved it as well.  Yay!  And I definitely walked away with some ideas... ;) 

Oooooooo..."some ideas" sounds promising :lol:

23 hours ago, liubeko said:

I truly enjoyed her recaps and, of course, her fanfictions. We all can see she really understand the characters. And of course I liked all the gifs, images and links shared by all the other members of this topic.

Welcome!  Also agree about @themarchioness, I honestly don't think I would've started/finished this (since I thought gaming dramas weren't for me after trying Go Go Squid), if it weren't for the enthusiasm/love I saw for this drama here.  And thank goodness I did!

11 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Not really.  I'm much better at speaking and listening to Mandarin, which is how I can sometimes deduce what was originally written from the literal English translations.  Reading and writing Chinese, on the other hand, not so much!  There's no way I'd be able to read an entire web novel, but how I wish I could!!!

Google translate can help in a pinch but pretty nonsensical mostly.   Too bad there isn't a service that reads Chinese text out loud?  Lol... is there??

LOL.  How nice that there are so many of those that you have to "struggle" to finish them all.  :P  I haven't read a lot of Chinese web novels but there are some that I really do quite adore.  I'll send you a message some time, although I would not be surprise if our lists overlap!

There's sooooo many because it's based on a popular novel.  A quick search yields 8484 works for the fandom, and "only" 3899 works for the main couple.  And some of these works are like multi-chapter short novels.  :sweatingbullets:

I haven't read that many translated novels, and honestly the ones that I've tried are kind of an acquired taste that I'd hesitate to recommend to others (transmigration/reincarnation, soap-opera style romance).  I haven't really looked that hard though, so recommendations would be nice rather that trying to browse through reviews to see what's worth reading.  No rush since as you can tell I'm going be occupied for a while lol, but please do when you get a chance!

I don't have it in me to rewatch a show from beginning to end either, since I'm so impatient to get to the "good" parts haha, but I do sometimes rewatch favorite scenes/episodes when I really love a drama.  Sometimes I wish I had a clear watch history button in my head so I can rewatch my favorite drama(s) as if it were the first time.  :P   I guess the next best thing is to watch with someone who hasn't seen it yet... although I would probably be so sad if they didn't love it lol.  But of course your friend loved GYH... I had no doubt. :) 

10 hours ago, raziela said:

Oooooooo..."some ideas" sounds promising :lol:

Haha I was excited to hear this too!  :D

6 hours ago, owlstar said:

I don't have it in me to rewatch a show from beginning to end either, since I'm so impatient to get to the "good" parts haha, but I do sometimes rewatch favorite scenes/episodes when I really love a drama.  Sometimes I wish I had a clear watch history button in my head so I can rewatch my favorite drama(s) as if it were the first time.  :P   I guess the next best thing is to watch with someone who hasn't seen it yet... although I would probably be so sad if they didn't love it lol.  But of course your friend loved GYH... I had no doubt. :) 

Same. I usually re-watch from the episodes after episode 9. For one I just don't want to see the scenes when they are fighting. Secondly the harassment scene from episode 9 is kinda upsetting to me especially because other than XK, no one knows that happened to QY and they never attempt to show the repercussions of such actions especially in this time period.

But that's a personal opinion since many shows recently have been showing the repercussions of harassment, so I kinda expected a youth drama to be a little more empowering in that aspect

4 hours ago, adla said:

Same. I usually re-watch from the episodes after episode 9. For one I just don't want to see the scenes when they are fighting. Secondly the harassment scene from episode 9 is kinda upsetting to me especially because other than XK, no one knows that happened to QY and they never attempt to show the repercussions of such actions especially in this time period.

But that's a personal opinion since many shows recently have been showing the repercussions of harassment, so I kinda expected a youth drama to be a little more empowering in that aspect

I also tend to watch the episodes after they become friends and stop misunderstanding each other.

I totally agree with you about how the harassment was just swept under the carpet and not referenced again. That was very disappointing-_-

15 hours ago, owlstar said:

Google translate can help in a pinch but pretty nonsensical mostly.   Too bad there isn't a service that reads Chinese text out loud?  Lol... is there??

Actually, many web novels have audio book versions out there.  I did try one once but I zoned out midway through so that wasn't really helpful.  Haha.  In my defense, I also zone out with English audio books which is why I just don't do audio books in general.  :P 

16 hours ago, owlstar said:

I guess the next best thing is to watch with someone who hasn't seen it yet... although I would probably be so sad if they didn't love it lol. 

I actually put my friend on notice, LOL.  I more or less told her, "You know I respect that a person's taste when it comes to dramas is subjective, so I'll recommend and won't push, but when it comes to GYH, I'm letting you know now.  You have to like it.  You don't have to like it as much as I do, but you at least have to like it.  Or lie."  Haha!  Fortunately the warning ended up being superfluous because she loved it and it was fun watching her first-time reactions to certain scenes. 

9 hours ago, adla said:

the harassment scene from episode 9 is kinda upsetting to me especially because other than XK, no one knows that happened to QY and they never attempt to show the repercussions of such actions especially in this time period.

That truly was egregious.  On the whole, Zhao Yang got off waaaaaaay too light for many things.  Super disappointing.

Here's another super short fic.  Apparently I have a fascination with their personal belongings in this drama.  :joy:  First it was the stuffed bunnies from the variety show.  And then this past weekend, while I was rewatching, I was reminded of the model motorcycle that QY gifted to XK.  When I saw him getting irritated with the way YX was handling it when YX brought pizza to his hotel room, I decided I needed to write a story about the motorcycle.  As always, hope you enjoy!

Story #7 - Wheels

Spoiler

Story #7 - Wheels

When Qiu Ying arrived home one Saturday afternoon after having spent the afternoon with her best friend, Lu Yi Yi, meeting for lunch and then going shopping afterwards, she found her husband rifling through the cushions of their living room couch and looking frazzled.

“What are you doing?”  She set down her shopping bags by the front door to take off her shoes and slip on her house slippers, and watched him put the couch cushions back in their place.

Ji Xiang Kong stood up and ran an anxious hand through his tousled hair.  “Have you seen my motorcycle?”

Qiu Ying felt confused.  She’d just parked her car next to his motorcycle outside and why would he be looking for it in their couch anyway?

“Isn’t it outside?” she asked and pointed her finger to the door behind her.

Xiang Kong gave his wife a pointed look and said, “Not that motorcycle.  I’m talking about the model motorcycle you gave me.”

“Oh!”  Qiu Ying’s eyes traveled to the bookcase where it was normally kept.  “Isn’t it . . .” her voice trailed off when she realized the motorcycle wasn’t in its usual place.  “Where’d it go?”

“That’s what I’m asking!”

Xiang Kong continued to look around their living room while Qiu Ying joined in the search.  He couldn’t understand how the motorcycle could have grown legs and walked away.  It wasn’t fancy or an antique and monetarily, it really wasn’t anything expensive.  But sentimentally, it was without a price.  The model motorcycle was one of the first gifts he had ever received from Qiu Ying and he treasured it; no one was allowed to touch it.  But an hour earlier, he’d happened to walk past the bookshelf where it was normally kept and noticed it was missing.  He didn’t even know how long it had been missing.

“You don’t think someone would have taken it, do you?” he asked.

“Who would take it?” Qiu Ying answered.  The only recent visitors they’d had in their home were people they knew well; their family, friends, housekeeper, or Xiao Feng’s nanny.  Qiu Ying couldn’t even bring herself to suspect any of them.

“Well it couldn’t have disappeared on its own.”

“Just search a little bit more for it,” she suggested.  “Maybe it fell and was accidentally swept away somewhere.”

“I have,” Xiang Kong grumbled, but he nevertheless continued to turn over every box and basket while looking in every corner and behind every crevice.

Right at that moment, a loud wail summoned from down the hallway.  Qiu Ying stopped what she was doing and observed, “Looks like our little prince is awake from his nap.  I’ll go get him.”

Several minutes later, Qiu Ying reappeared in the living room with Xiao Feng in her arms and propped against her left hip.  Xiang Kong looked up when she coughed discreetly and found her leaning against the doorway with an amused look on her face.  As their son yawned and rubbed his tiny eyes, still bleary-eyed from their nap, he asked, “What?”

With a smile still dancing around her lips, Qiu Ying struggled to say with a straight face, “I found what you were looking for.”

“You did?”

“En.”  She pulled the model motorcycle out from behind her back.

Xiang Kong rushed over to take it from her hand.  “Where did you find it??”  He turned it over several times and inspected it carefully to make sure it was undamaged.

“Hidden between the blankets in Xiao Feng’s crib,” Qiu Ying answered with a laugh.

“Xiao Feng?”  Xiang Kong looked from his son to the motorcycle in his hand and frowned.  “But how did he get his hands on it?”

Qiu Ying laughed some more and shrugged her shoulders.  “Who knows.”  Since Xiang Kong still looked so perplexed, she kissed his cheek comfortingly before turning away with Xiao Feng in her arms to fetch him a bottle from the kitchen. 

A second later Qiu Ying’s voice drifted back, “What I do know, though, is like father like son,” and then she laughed some more.  

The End

Archived