Jang Ki Yong ✿ 장기용 ✿ 張基龍

[Interview] 2020.04.23 “Born Again” Co-stars Jang Ki Yong And Lee Soo Hyuk Talk About Working Together, Modeling Careers, And More in Esquire Magazine.

jang-ki-yong-lee-soo-hyuk.jpg

Jang Ki Yong and Lee Soo Hyuk, who are currently starring together in the KBS drama “Born Again,” recently shot a pictorial for the May issue of Esquire.

“Born Again” is a mystery melodrama about a detective, the detective’s lover, and a serial killer, whose fates remain entwined even after their reincarnation into different lives. Jang Ki Yong, Lee Soo Hyuk, and Jin Se Yeon play dual roles, one in 1980 and one in 2020.

In the interview accompanying the pictorial, Lee Soo Hyuk and Jang Ki Yong talked about the drama, their characters, working together, looking back on their modeling and acting careers, and more.

Asked about taking on his first drama in four years, Lee Soo Hyuk said, “I had a strong thirst to act in a drama again. I know that fans are also anticipating it, so I want to show them a good performance. I can’t say that I didn’t feel pressure, but my co-stars work so hard and the atmosphere on set is so good that it makes me want to do my best.”

About his dual characters, he said, “We started filming with the 1980s backdrop and we are currently filming in the present-day. It feels like we finished filming a short drama and are starting a new one. The production staff worked hard to prepare the set, filming locations, props, and costumes in order to bring the 1980s to life. When I see the electronics and clothes from the ’80s, it really feels like I went back in time. When we started filming in the present-day, everything felt new. There is a big difference between the two characters, but the writer made those differences clear with changes in tone and dialogue.”

Asked about the dark side of a seemingly glamorous model and actor lifestyle, he replied, “I debuted as a model at an early age and am living as an actor now. It might seem very strange to others. And I’m not trying to say that I’m a very ordinary person either. But it is true that I live a more ordinary life than people think. Other than my work, I am not that different from my male peers. Sometimes it feels like I am distant from the general public because of my image, but recently I appeared on variety shows and showed a more natural side of myself.”

The interviewer mentioned Jang Ki Yong saying in an old interview that he had dreamed of becoming a model after seeing Lee Soo Hyuk on the runway. Lee Soo Hyuk responded, “As far as I know, that was a long time ago. I am very grateful for his words. I think he might be inspired by someone else now [laughs]. I also had times when I cultivated dreams by looking at role models, and when I make a choice, I think about me being a role model as well. I want to make good choices so that someone who is watching me can feel something. I feel good about what he said, but I don’t think that I had that big an influence, so this is a bit embarrassing.”

jang-ki-yong2.jpg

Jang Ki Yong talked about this in his own interview as well. “When I was around 19, I saw Soo Hyuk’s fashion show videos and the TV program ‘Seven Models.’ I realized that the job of modeling held a certain fascination for me and I thought it was my fate to pursue it. I had a lot of difficulty in persuading my parents to let me come up to Seoul from Ulsan. It goes to show how much I respect Soo Hyuk as a senior, so it’s a big deal that we’re working together on the same production now. It also shows me how much I’ve grown since then. I like that we’re able to talk together while filming. It holds a special meaning to work together as an actor with someone who you wanted to be like.”

Jang Ki Yong was asked about becoming a role model like Lee Soo Hyuk was for him. He replied, “I would feel good if that were to happen. I think Soo Hyuk would feel good about it too. When he was working hard as a model, if he knew that there was a junior who longed to be like him, he would feel a new meaning in everything he had done so far. If I could feel that, I would be happy. I would also tell them to buy me a meal [laughs].”

He added, “I didn’t pick this job [because I liked being the center of attention]. When I was young, I was introverted and shy around others. I hated presenting in front of people. But in my first year of high school, I got the opportunity to sing at a festival, and strangely, I wanted to do it. I got up the courage and experienced a happy kind of tension.”

jang-ki-yong-21.jpg

About his dual characters, he said, “It’s a big challenge to take on, but I like trying new things with every project. I like playing characters who are different from what I’ve done before, and trying things I’ve never done until now. In ‘Go Back Couple,’ I played a college student, and in ‘My Mister,’ I played a loan shark. They were complete polar opposites. I like the special meaning imbued in playing such extremes.”

He added that this made his dual roles in “Born Again” especially exciting. “In the past, I felt that excitement in the flow between changing from one production to another. I can experience that feeling now in a single production. On the other hand, I think I’m becoming more sensitive and I have a lot more concerns, but the work of an actor is to do what you’ve never experienced before.”

Spoiler

jang-ki-yong-11.jpg

Source (1) (2) via soompi

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[News] 2020.06.07 "Born Again" - Wrap

EZ4Kt21UYAMDHP7?format=jpg&name=large

Jang Ki Yong played both Gong Ji Chul and Chun Jong Bum, two men who had never felt the warmth of love in their lives. About the difficulty of playing two characters, the actor commented, “It wasn’t easy to play two characters going back and forth between the past and the present, but thanks to the help of a lot of people, I was able to successfully see the drama through to its end.”

He continued, “I want to say thank you to all the viewers who showed a lot of love and support for ‘Born Again.’ I’ll show you a new side of myself as an actor when I greet you again through another project.”

source: Soompi

Spoiler

EZ4Ku5sUwAE5UH3?format=jpg&name=large

• Love 1

Photos from the last shoot of Born Again

No matter the ending or public reaction, Jang Ki Yong did a good job and I came to know him because of Born Again. Hope we will see more of his good works.

Edited by Sushimi
Mod edit: No IG Embedding allowed
  • Like 1

[News] 2020.06.10 Jang Ki Yong In Talks To Join New Fantasy Drama Based On Popular Webtoon

Jang Ki Yong In Talks To Join New Fantasy Drama Based On Popular Webtoon

Jang Ki Yong is working on selecting his next project!

On June 10, an industry representative reported that the actor has been cast for a leading role in the drama adaptation of the hit webtoon “Frightening Cohabitation” (literal title)

In response to the report, his agency YG Entertainment commented, “Jang Ki Yong received an offer to star in the drama ‘Frightening Cohabitation’ and is considering the offer.”

The upcoming drama is based on a webtoon about a female college student who accidentally swallows the marble of a male gumiho (a mythological nine-tailed fox) and the romance that ensues.

Jang Ki Yong reportedly received an offer for the role of the gumiho Shin Woo Yeo. In response to this, his agency commented, “Because it is a project he is reviewing, it is difficult to reveal what the role is.”

“Frightening Cohabitation” is reported to be led by director Baek Seung Ryong, who previously worked on “Pegasus Market,” and is in talks to premiere via tvN in the second half of the year.

Source (1) (2) via soompi

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

[Instagram] 2020.06.26 Jang Ki Yong, Woo Do Hwan & Kim Kyung Nam's IG Updates

EbbyFCFVcAAwNE5?format=jpg&name=mediumEbbyFCFUEAIi1fv?format=jpg&name=medium

Ki Yong meets up with Kyung Nam (linked through Come & Hug Me) and together they meet up with Woo Do Hwan (linked through The King)?? Haha...ok you 3 rising actors born in 1992 (and Yang Se Jong) should also do a wefie in future.

Ki Yong's caption is telling Do Hwan to take care and that he should follow soon.

Spoiler

Ebb8k_jUEAExqyt?format=jpg&name=mediumEbb8lhJUYAABtfQ?format=jpg&name=medium

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 8:21 AM, mademoisellesia said:

[News] 2020.06.10 Jang Ki Yong In Talks To Join New Fantasy Drama Based On Popular Webtoon

In response to the report, his agency YG Entertainment commented, “Jang Ki Yong received an offer to star in the drama ‘Frightening Cohabitation’ and is considering the offer.”

It seems like it's taking a while for him to make that decision or they haven't released the news yet? Or perhaps he is going to enlist :tears: After reading the first few chapters of the webtoon I think it'd suit him well. Look wise it's an absolute match and the character seems like a cool character to play. 

• Like 1

@MVM No more news after this initial announcement. It is likely he will be enlisting, unless he has some sickness or injuries or family issues that prevented him from being qualified. We'll just have to wait and see. He did say in his the IG above (on this page) that he's probably next after Woo Do Hwan (and Yang Se Jong) whom are both born in 1992.

• Sad 1

@mademoisellesia I have only recently discovered this talented guy and while I've been binge watching all of the dramas where he plays the ML, I'd still would have loved to have an upcoming drama I could look forward to with him in it before he enlists.  I know there is a movie and now a photoshoot too, but they don't last as long as dramas do :tears: Guess I am being greedy here :P

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

@MVM Direct that attention to find another bias :D

You should also check out this one if you haven't

There's a lot of shows Ki Yong are in if you're really desperate for more. Varieties... Rap battle (?) etc. I didn't watch it all, couldn't sustain for too long without subs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, mademoisellesia said:

@MVM Direct that attention to find another bias :D

I am always at it :lol:

You should also check out this one if you haven't

I did watch it, thank you. It's hilarious :-)

There's a lot of shows Ki Yong are in if you're really desperate for more. Varieties... Rap battle (?) etc. I didn't watch it all, couldn't sustain for too long without subs.

I'm slowly moving through all the non drama stuff he is in.

I guess with his birthday coming up we are going to be hearing more news, either about the enlistment or that gumiho drama.. So whatever may come we'll hopefully find out soon. 

• Like 1