[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2019] Reunion: The Sound of the Providence 盗墓笔记重启 ll 重啟之極海聽雷

TheRedPheonix

@tulip06 & @Yuui i get the feeling that his whole interactions with his fan girl are suppose to show that while he is trying to be intimidating towards her she actually knows that he's more of a cinnamon roll than really going through with brute force. I mean we know he is capable of killing people but it's often more as a reaction or protecting those he cares for. He doesn't go into straight psycho cruelty as others may go into under similar circumstances. Kinda playing with his name 'Innocent'?  But yeah it's a little awkward in how it's done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alice84 said:

Does anyone know what the ending in the books? Did Wu xie die?

In the book, Wu Xie didn’t die of course. 

Spoiler

His situation got better (which means he will not die immediately) by the end of the novel, however, the doctor said his lungs would not be cured completely. He still has to live with the bad lungs. 

5 hours ago, Strange Stranger said:

@tulip06 & @Yuui i get the feeling that his whole interactions with his fan girl are suppose to show that while he is trying to be intimidating towards her she actually knows that he's more of a cinnamon roll than really going through with brute force. I mean we know he is capable of killing people but it's often more as a reaction or protecting those he cares for. He doesn't go into straight psycho cruelty as others may go into under similar circumstances. Kinda playing with his name 'Innocent'?  But yeah it's a little awkward in how it's done. 

I think they might took off the part where Wu Xie thought Bai Haotian to be a boy. In the book, Bai Haotian is a tomboy, so Wu Xie just misunderstood the little fan to be a “girly boy” at first. He was so eager to find the human skin figurine, and wanted to get rid of the annoying fan. 

• Insightful 1

9 hours ago, Alice84 said:

Thanks paopaolong. Sounds like you have read the book, can you share how Wu xie got the lung disease in the first place? Thank you

The lung disease was caused by many reasons: the Qilinjie (dragon’s blood) which Wu Xie accidentally ate in the first book no longer has its effect now (the Qilinjie was able to protect him from the bugs and poisonous gas down in the tombs), so without the protection, his lungs began to show symptoms; besides, Wu Xie took in an overloaded amount of Pheromone in Shahai, which also hurt his lungs. 

I also saw some discussions elsewhere and I think it might be a good idea to elaborate on somethings from the book here.

1. Wu Xie’s name was given by his grandfather. The word Xie 邪 actually means “evil” in Chinese. But with the family name Wu 吴, which sounds the same as 无 (meaning “without”), his name means no evils. And in Chinese, there’s an idiom phrase called 天真无邪(Tianzhen Wuxie), which means innocent and pure. And that’s why Fatty gave him the nickname “Tianzhen”—“innocent”.

2. Xiao Sanye would be called by the people from the “business”, as Wu Xie inherited his “tomb raiding” career from his third uncle. His third uncle was called Sanye, so Wu Xie is little Sanye. Wu Xie’s parents are still alive, but they are totally “white”, they don’t know anything about the “business”.

3. Wu Xie also has a nickname called Wu Xiaogou (Wu little dog). That’s because his grandfather, who liked to raise dogs, was called “Wu Old Dog”. In the show, you can find that Wu Xie’s Wechat profile photo to be a dog. That dog is called “Xiaoman Ge”, aka Wu Xie’s “4th uncle”, which is a German Shepherd raised by Wu Old Dog.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Strange Stranger said:

maybe I would have been more okay with ith if they went with her being more of a tomboy, like @paopaolongsaid. 

And to behonest I am more bothered by everyone seeming to end up with a "loveintrest". :expressionless: 

4 hours ago, Yuui said:

maybe I would have been more okay with ith if they went with her being more of a tomboy, like @paopaolongsaid. 

And to behonest I am more bothered by everyone seeming to end up with a "loveintrest". :expressionless: 

I can’t say for sure now since the tv series may have some adaptations. But apart from Black Glasses’s love interest and Fatty’s love interest, there’s no sign showing that everyone else is gonna have a love interest. Bai Haotian is merely a huge fangirl, who might have a little bit crush on her idol, but I don’t anticipate a romantic relationship between her and Wu Xie. I actually find her really adorable because I can just relate to her ( I also want a “to” autograph from Wu Xie, lol)

As for the mute girl and Piaopiao, the signs are showing that they might not have happy endings. I am quite ok with them having love interests if the stories are told in an adequate way. The main characters are too painful, I just wish them to have happy endings. But as far as I know Nanpai Sanshu, it’s almost impossible for him to write a female character that doesn’t die in the end. Let’s just see how the story is adapted in the series.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

45 minutes ago, paopaolong said:

I can’t say for sure now since the tv series may have some adaptations. But apart from Black Glasses’s love interest and Fatty’s love interest, there’s no sign showing that everyone else is gonna have a love interest. Bai Haotian is merely a huge fangirl, who might have a little bit crush on her idol, but I don’t anticipate a romantic relationship between her and Wu Xie. I actually find her really adorable because I can just relate to her ( I also want a “to” autograph from Wu Xie, lol)

As for the mute girl and Piaopiao, the signs are showing that they might not have happy endings. I am quite ok with them having love interests if the stories are told in an adequate way. The main characters are too painful, I just wish them to have happy endings. But as far as I know Nanpai Sanshu, it’s almost impossible for him to write a female character that doesn’t die in the end. Let’s just see how the story is adapted in the series.

I am holding on to hope that they don't water down the story line with love-lines, after all the writer is involved in this production. :fullofhearts: 

9 hours ago, Yuui said:

Same about her being more of a tomboy, but I've noticed that quite a few cdramas don't really know how to show a true tomboy type character.  They often lean more towards towards pixie girl. 
I'm pretty sure that the love interests are just going to be dead ends, which is a pity considering that we are spending a chunk of time on them.  Maybe they just wanted to show some kind of heart connections for these guys but because of their luck it never really happens?  IDK.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Strange Stranger said:

Same about her being more of a tomboy, but I've noticed that quite a few cdramas don't really know how to show a true tomboy type character.  They often lean more towards towards pixie girl. 
I'm pretty sure that the love interests are just going to be dead ends, which is a pity considering that we are spending a chunk of time on them.  Maybe they just wanted to show some kind of heart connections for these guys but because of their luck it never really happens?  IDK.

Yea, I don't understand it either. I am trying to figure out if I have seen a Chinese drama with a really tomboy. But all I come up with is the pixie version or "The girl that is hiding her identity by dressing up as a man" version.

If the love interests doesn't contribute to the main story line, why have them at all? If they are just there to fill out the space, I would have rader gotten the other cut out scenes. I am hoping that they are all having a purpose and that in the end I wont feel like it was so unnecessary. :D

On some level I don't mind Pang Zi (Fatty) and Piao Piao becoming a thing because Pang Zi is quite funny trying to romance her. And I don't mind Wu Xie having a love interest because ... what the heck... it is Zhu Yilong after all... It would be an utter waste of those eyes. Plus his chemistry with Rachel Mao is better than decent.

I have a bad feeling about Xiao Bai  though. But yeah... the first female in the show that I warm up to and she gives off femme fatale vibes. Typical. 

Here's me hoping she won't stab him in the back.

• Love 3

@YuuiI think the only one I've seen where there's a tomboy is in Oh My General, but part of that was explained that she grew up as a boy so as she acts and stuff is still totally like a boy even when everyone knows she's a girl.  Which again is partly what you said too.  It's kind of sad in a way.

@40somethingahjumma I think it's kinda cute that Pangzi has a little loveline.  He's always outside of them in a lot of the series while they are always going after Qiling or Wu Xie.  He's allowed a little courtship even if it's not going to end well.  And Zhu Yilong having time onscreen with a female lead that he has good chemistry with is always nice to see.  It's not that often for a lot of his roles, though I'm hoping there is no backstabbing for Wu Xie.  He deserves a break from that.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Strange Stranger said:

@40somethingahjumma I think it's kinda cute that Pangzi has a little loveline.  He's always outside of them in a lot of the series while they are always going after Qiling or Wu Xie.  He's allowed a little courtship even if it's not going to end well.  And Zhu Yilong having time onscreen with a female lead that he has good chemistry with is always nice to see.  It's not that often for a lot of his roles, though I'm hoping there is no backstabbing for Wu Xie.  He deserves a break from that.

It would be a nice change that the fat guy... gets the girl before the good looking one. In the event that Wu Xie loses his battle  with lung cancer, Pang Zi will have someone to keep him company. 

Unless of course Wu Xie finds the elixir of everlasting youth that Qin Shi Huang was seeking. It could be in Warehouse 11 stashed in second floor in the third row between the holy grail and Wang Xizhi's lost calligraphy.

That's the real reason why he's been sent there. 

;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It would be a nice change that the fat guy... gets the girl before the good looking one. In the event that Wu Xie loses his battle  with lung cancer, Pang Zi will have someone to keep him company. 

Unless of course Wu Xie finds the elixir of everlasting youth that Qin Shi Huang was seeking. It could be in Warehouse 11 stashed in second floor in the third row between the holy grail and Wang Xizhi's lost calligraphy.

That's the real reason why he's been sent there. 

;)

I don't think that he's going to die, only just forever have crappy lungs because of the whole mess that is smoking + all that poisoning he keeps getting + plot device number three.  Pang Zi still should get his girl because it is about time that it happens just once.

Second floor?  Dang my money was on the second shelf on the third floor next to the Ark and hidden inside of the Medusa's head.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Okay I have just watched through to episode 22 (getting vip was my treat to myself because working at a hospital gotta find some enjoyment in everything) and I am going to stress that having Zhu Yilong as Wu Xie is the best thing ever. His ability to switch his expressions is so on point for a cinnamon roll that can also be a gangster without losing that playful edge. 

Also so every time they switch to show what Uncle Two and gang are doing Zhang Qiling looks so alone and cold and I just want to push him back towards Wu Xie so much.

• Like 2

I think it's true that many of us signed up for this drama because of Zhu Yilong and thankfully despite all the obvious flaws, he has been absolutely wonderful in the role, more than living up to the hype. It's occurred to me that I'm not someone who thinks that the show is only good when the Iron Triangle are together because I'm actually enjoying Wu Xie's partnership with Xiao Bai in Warehouse 11. (Don't throw rotten veggies at me!) In some ways I'm enjoying Warehouse 11 more than the Indiana Jones stuff of the earlier episodes. Xiao Bai is actually a decently written character (so far) and Rachel Mao bounces off Zhu Yilong quite well. I don't find their dynamic cringey like I did between Black Blind Guy and Mute Girl. Maybe it's because she doesn't feel completely useless. My feeling is that he quite likes her although he doesn't entirely trust her as you'd expect from a man of his intelligence and life experience. Whatever her agenda is, I think she likes him too. I don't think there's much doubt that she has her own agenda and she's using him to achieve it. However, because she's prepared to put herself out there and her life on the line for him, I'm sure her admiration is genuine.

Zhu Yilong, like all the great ones has the ability to portray the entire gamut of emotions. In lesser hands, Wu Xie could end up being flatly one dimensional whereas he manages make Wu Xie feel down-to-earth. There's a side to him that comes across as being the boy next door. A very smart boy of course ;)

I personally think that the show works on a fundamental level because it has fascinating ideas driving the narrative. Sure, there's plenty of nutty stuff but that seems to be par for the course. Besides, the world building allows for it. Moreover, at the helm is a great male lead who is brilliant, charming and occasionally cocky. What's not to like? It does makes sense why they've given him lung cancer otherwise he's Superman with no kryptonite.

But despite all archaeological mumbo jumbo and the faux horror trappings, this is really a detective story and Wu Xie is really a kind of Sherlock Holmes with Indy Jones street creds. In truth, I have no problems with that at all. :D I love a good detective show.

It seems to me that Warehouse 11 is set up to be a kind of RPG in some kind of house of horrors. Mansion of Mayhem. Abode of Abominations. Storehouse of Slaughter. (Okay, I exaggerate) Wu Xie might be searching for clues of his uncle's whereabouts but there's no doubt that he's also shaking a closet riddled with skeletons. There are aspects of it that feels like a boarding school for boys and well, there's a lot of huffing and puffing in the ranks and oneupmanship. Anyhoo... our resident sleuth has just successfully climbed up the warehouse corporate ladder using his deductive skills with a little bit of help from Xiao Bai.

The biggest mystery to me though is why 偶像 is translated chief. Makes no sense to me.

• Like 4

@40somethingahjumma Oh I'm not going to throw veggies at you, I actually agree.  While yes it would be nice to see the Iron Triangle together working things out, I also feel that having Wu Xie doing his thing showing off just how much smarts there are without having Pangzi or Qiling there as his muscle is a good thing.  Often times Wu Xie is a lot like a DID (damsel in distressed) in which the other two are always bailing him out - at least that's what it felt like in the first season and even in parts of the second.  He's a clever guy who was raised in a family that's got one foot in the shady and while his parents may not have gone into the family business, Wu Xie has and him being alone shows that he does have that little extra edge of someone with that background.

And yes he and Bai are bouncing off each other quite well.  He doesn't trust her but you can tell that he finds her confidence a little nice.  I can't see him fall in love, but maybe gain a friendship here.  Anyways that would be interesting to see with her.

Also yes Wu Xie is a very complex character that has some rather unfortunate actors playing him that can't really get all the facets right.  Zhu Yilong is doing a terrific job and I just always am floored by his acting skills. 

Warehouse 11 reminds me of any good JRPG game in which you have a freaking building you have to go through - mostly Resident Evil or even Final Fantasy.  Find this clue leads to that solution but also opens a new clue that leads to a key got to figure out the key but oops there's a monster first and a mysterious letter with a suspicious stain that leads to the parlor and that ever-so-suspicious butler from the first level.

Anyways can't wait to see more of this mystery unravel.

• Like 2

I really love the Warehouse 11 part in this series too. Like @40somethingahjumma and @Strange Strangersaid, we get to see Wu Xie acts solo without Pangzi and Zhang Qiling. 

I saw some book fans doubted why Wu Xie was still that “innocent” after all these years of struggles. In the previous book Sand Sea (Shahai), Wu Xie was quite strong, mature, and sometimes lunatic even. And in the first ten episodes of Reunion, he seems to be little “Tianzhen” in his twenties again. I think that is because he is most assured and relaxed when he has Pangzi and Xiaoge’s company. But as it moves to Warehouse 11, when he has to deal with things on himself again (just like in Shahai), you get to see the other side of Wu Xie — “邪帝 Emperor Xie”. Now the book fans are really convinced.

I think that’s why ZYL’s portrayal of Wu Xie is so on point and charismatic, because Wu Xie is such a complicated character. He has “innocent” and “Emperor Xie” both within himself. 

And I also like Wu Xie and Xiao Bai together. They double the cuteness! Rachel Mao and ZYL are both born in 1988, but in the show, they make you believe Xiao Bai is just 20 and Wu Xie is almost 40. I laughed so hard at the “old uncle” part in ep 24.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:05 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I think it's true that many of us signed up for this drama because of Zhu Yilong and thankfully despite all the obvious flaws, he has been absolutely wonderful in the role, more than living up to the hype. It's occurred to me that I'm not someone who thinks that the show is only good when the Iron Triangle are together because I'm actually enjoying Wu Xie's partnership with Xiao Bai in Warehouse 11. (Don't throw rotten veggies at me!)

Pingxie shippers are throwing eggs at @40somethingahjumma :naughty: Just kidding!

Warehouse 11 reminds me of Warehouse 13, so much similarity there.

I don't know who I hate more - Er Bai for playing god controlling other people's life or Piaopiao for being so reckless trying to earn easy money. 

• Like 1

After watching episode 21-24 I do like the Warehouse 11 story line, though it has a bit too much of a game-level-up feel. So I am hopping that this doesn't get stretched out too much. The acting is really good I just find that the story line could have been structured a bit better. 

The one I am feeling really sorry for is Qiling, he feels like an abandon kid at the moment. You just want to give him a hug and tell him to hang in there. :Pandabulous:

I am not a big fan of 2nd uncle; I am not sure if he is over protective or if he wants Wu Xie out of the picture. It doesn't help that we don't know what his real agenda is. 

• Like 1