[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2019] Reunion: The Sound of the Providence 盗墓笔记重启 ll 重啟之極海聽雷

TheRedPheonix

17 hours ago, Yuui said:

@Strange Stranger At the moment I am really enjoying this drama, I was not a huge fan of the jungle parts before everyone ended up at the same place. Something seems of, don't know if it was the acting, styling or if it is the dubbing. But I am at this moment on the fence with black glasses.

The actor for him seems kinda stiff when he isn't trying for comedy relief and it doesn't seem as natural as Fatty when he's doing the comedy.  Black Glasses seems like the kind of character that needs a very subtle acting style that can switch it up easier between the action stuff and the softer stuff.  But after seeing eps 17 and 18 I think there is a purpose for him and Mute Girl that might affect Wu Xie in the future.

Also I am just laughing at some of the moments with Fatty and Wu Xie at home.  Just what dorks.

• Like 1

@Strange Stranger Haven't seen episode 17 & 18 yet, waiting for the English subs. :expressionless: 

The problem with Black Glasses can be the timing of the acting, and seems like it is hard for him to movie between comedic and serious beats. (Also there is something about his hair that is bothering me). 

But I love their dorkyness. :fullofhearts:

I don't have any issues with Baron's acting. Or Maggie's for that matter. It's what the script has them doing that I have a problem with. To be fair though not all the filler content necessarily comes from them.

I'm also wondering who's doing the subs. It's such a mixed bag. 

Oh goody... more romance :P

For some reason Xiao Bai fangirling Wu Xie is rather adorable. This pairing might actually be alright. 

Zhu Yilong was actually quite funny in his interactions with Rachel Mao. 

• Like 1

On the Reboot hotpot livestream yesterday: 

1. ZYL said some important scenes were cut, which impacted the fluency of the series. 

(From what I’ve learned: the scenes where Wu Xie chased Jin Wantang aka “Tangtang” with his knife in ep 2, where Wu Xie injured his hand in ep 8, where Wu Xie saved Liu Sang from the human figurines in ep 10, where Wu Xie helped Jin Jiuye against the rebellious soldiers in ep 15-16, etc. And in the upcoming episodes about 11th Warehouse, some important scenes were also cut out)

2. Nanpai Sanshu said when ZYL was filming the Reboot, he got so thin and everyone was worried about him. And ZYL said, “it doesn’t matter, I can endure.”

3. Chen Minghao (Fatty) drove 19 hours from Beijing to Hengdian just to have hotpot with ZYL. He even invited him to act on stage in the future. (Chen Minghao is a stage director and actor.)

4. Chen Minghao actually sprained his ankle during the filming, and he forgot to explain it after he got well. So he added a line when he was doing the dubbing, that his ankle was cured by the “human hand-shellfish”.

5. Sanshu was mad when he found out that the director shot the scene where Xiaoge was hit in the head by Fatty outside Yangdaguang’s ancestral hall. So he demand them to reshoot the scene. He also wanted to change some parts of the Mute Village, but the director told him that the whole village, even the temple was exploded down so they could do nothing to refilm those scenes.

On 7/29/2020 at 2:56 AM, Strange Stranger said:

They split this season in half due to the new laws that limit the drama to 35 eps a season, so the original length is 66 I believe. We will be getting two seasons for this stretch with ZYL and then a different crew in the next installment.

Im hoping that the moments of fluff with Black Glasses and Mute Girl will prove to have meaning in the over reaching plot. ATM it seems a bit too cringe after the scenes in the tomb. 

Just wanna make a clarification here. The original plan of Reboot was 3 seasons with 72 episodes at the beginning. They cut out 6 episodes, and finally decided to split it into 2 seasons. Nanpai Fanyu and Youku just wanted the series to be aired in more than one season before the weird limitation came out. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

@@Yuui Their acting isn't bad it just doesn't seem to sync up as well, but romance in an action show can always be a mixed bag. And no there is filler all over the place. Their pieces just hits at a point where it's more jarring.

@paopaolong Oh thanks for the clarification there. I wasn't too sure about why it was cut into two seasons. I did know about the episodes being moved from 72 to 66. I'm not surprised they cut out some important scenes. That seems to happen a lot in several shows.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strange Stranger said:

@@Yuui Their acting isn't bad it just doesn't seem to sync up as well, but romance in an action show can always be a mixed bag. And no there is filler all over the place. Their pieces just hits at a point where it's more jarring.

@paopaolong Oh thanks for the clarification there. I wasn't too sure about why it was cut into two seasons. I did know about the episodes being moved from 72 to 66. I'm not surprised they cut out some important scenes. That seems to happen a lot in several shows.   

and @40somethingahjumma I find it hard to say what is causing the feeling of it being off. It can be the acting, it  can be the editing or it can be a combination of both. Sometimes I find that the dubbing is the problem. But this time I can't really put my finger on what exactly isn¨t working with the black glasses. Some scenes work really well but some just doesn't work. (although i don't feel like the acting is bad) :)

Also what can be a big factor is that they have cut out scenes, like @paopaolong said. That in it self can screw up the timing and flow between scenes. 

• Like 1

@Yuui I don't doubt that it's a combination of things. ;) With C dramas it's obvious that censorship is the one of the crucial factors. As you'd know, it was the primary reason why Mystic Nine tanked. But there's also the tendency to overinflate the number of episodes when the story itself doesn't warrant it.

Reunion is not a bad show. Not at all. I've seen worse. Much worse. I would agree with most that the male camaraderie is the best thing about it. I enjoy the mythology. The world building is okay. I don't object to romance if it's well written but in this show the romances thus far are incorporated in clumsy fashion and the women seem to be the architects of chaos. I haven't enjoyed any of their inclusion. That said, I'm hoping that Xiao Bai will be an exception.

Warehouse 11 seems like an intriguing sort of place. I keep calling it Area 51 and I expect to see the ark of the covenant somewhere in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

@Yuui But there's also the tendency to overinflate the number of episodes when the story itself doesn't warrant it.

I really disliked that; they did that in Legend.  It had originally been scripted for 32 episodes I think but they ended up stretching it to 40 or something and it just was fillers and pace draggy.

@40somethingahjumma I agree that I've seen much worse shows, especially onces in this niche of dramas.  I'm hoping that it doesn't hit a flagging moment where we get ten eps of nothing but some side fluff of characters we don't know at all.  The romances are really not needed as much as they are being placed in this and I really hope that everything with Xiao Bai is going to be less romance and more cute sidekick with a side order of fangirl cheering.  I do like she has an understanding of Wu Xie's strengths in this situation.

Warehouse 11 is certainly interesting.

• Like 2

Zhang Qiling aka Xiao Ge character is so wickedly cool..all the actors that portrayed him did him justice, can't even say who is the best..

Yang Yang from The Lost Tomb

❣YANG 杨洋 YANG❣ on Twitter: ""Zhang Qilin and Xiao Nai are both ...

Cheng Yi from The Lost Tomb 2

cheng yi | Tumblr

Huang JunJie of Reunion: The Sound of the Providence

The new edition of Huang Junjies rebooting the extreme sea ...

On 7/29/2020 at 5:40 PM, Strange Stranger said:

But after seeing eps 17 and 18 I think there is a purpose for him and Mute Girl that might affect Wu Xie in the future.

They'd better served some purpose to Wu Xie in the future episodes or else i'm gonna be so mad at all these unnecessary fillers that mute girl character has taken up..not caring much for a romance story in this show especially on 2 unimportant characters IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Reunion is not a bad show. Not at all. I've seen worse. Much worse. I would agree with most that the male camaraderie is the best thing about it. I enjoy the mythology. The world building is okay. I don't object to romance if it's well written but in this show the romances thus far are incorporated in clumsy fashion and the women seem to be the architects of chaos. I haven't enjoyed any of their inclusion. That said, I'm hoping that Xiao Bai will be an exception.

Warehouse 11 seems like an intriguing sort of place. I keep calling it Area 51 and I expect to see the ark of the covenant somewhere in there.

I think Black glasses and mute girl works best when Wu Xie and Qiling is there, because of their comedic teasing of Black glasses. And I like the old lady. :heart4:  

5 hours ago, Strange Stranger said:

I really disliked that; they did that in Legend.  It had originally been scripted for 32 episodes I think but they ended up stretching it to 40 or something and it just was fillers and pace draggy.

@40somethingahjumma I agree that I've seen much worse shows, especially onces in this niche of dramas.  I'm hoping that it doesn't hit a flagging moment where we get ten eps of nothing but some side fluff of characters we don't know at all.  The romances are really not needed as much as they are being placed in this and I really hope that everything with Xiao Bai is going to be less romance and more cute sidekick with a side order of fangirl cheering.  I do like she has an understanding of Wu Xie's strengths in this situation.

Warehouse 11 is certainly interesting.

The fact that they have cut down the episodes to 66 is hopefully a good sign of us getting no fillers. And at the moment I don't think we have gotten any.

Hopefully they drop any romance story line with Wu Xie, it doesn't feel like the story or the drama needs it. One romance (Black glasses and mute girl) is enough.  

13 minutes ago, Yuui said:

I think Black glasses and mute girl works best when Wu Xie and Qiling is there, because of their comedic teasing of Black glasses. And I like the old lady. :heart4:  

The fact that they have cut down the episodes to 66 is hopefully a good sign of us getting no fillers. And at the moment I don't think we have gotten any.

Hopefully they drop any romance story line with Wu Xie, it doesn't feel like the story or the drama needs it. One romance (Black glasses and mute girl) is enough.  

Black Glasses needs the teases and the old lady is cute and sad.  I do like her.

Yeah, I am hoping it doesn't turn romantic.  He's got more than enough on his plate to add a romance to, but now Fatty is looking at some possible stuff too.  I just not sure about his side stuff and I'm still waiting to see where Zhang Qiling went off to.

• Like 1

Another thing they mentioned during the hotpot livestream is the “smiley Xiao Ge”. Nanpai Sanshu said for most Zhang Qiling’s scenes they filmed two versions: one with smiles and one without the smile. In Sanshu’s opinion, Xiao Ge is more like a “god”, who should not smile too much. But when they edited the series, the editors said: “Xiao Ge’s too painful, why not just let him smile.” Sanshu was convinced and let them used the smiley version. 

It turned out to be right. Probably ten years ago, Zhang Qiling should not smile. But Reboot took place after the iron triangle’s retirement in the Rainy Village. Xiao Ge has been “turned to human” by Wu Xie and Fatty. Instead to be cold and cool, he has a warm feeling now.

And it also makes sense that Xiao Ge’s smile is only for Wu Xie and Fatty. He doesn’t smile at all to others, even to his fan Liu Sang, he still remains the cool god-like image.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, paopaolong said:

On the Reboot hotpot livestream yesterday: 

1. ZYL said some important scenes were cut, which impacted the fluency of the series. 

(From what I’ve learned: the scenes where Wu Xie chased Jin Wantang aka “Tangtang” with his knife in ep 2, where Wu Xie injured his hand in ep 8, where Wu Xie saved Liu Sang from the human figurines in ep 10, where Wu Xie helped Jin Jiuye against the rebellious soldiers in ep 15-16, etc. And in the upcoming episodes about 11th Warehouse, some important scenes were also cut out)

2. Nanpai Sanshu said when ZYL was filming the Reboot, he got so thin and everyone was worried about him. And ZYL said, “it doesn’t matter, I can endure.”

3. Chen Minghao (Fatty) drove 19 hours from Beijing to Hengdian just to have hotpot with ZYL. He even invited him to act on stage in the future. (Chen Minghao is a stage director and actor.)

4. Chen Minghao actually sprained his ankle during the filming, and he forgot to explain it after he got well. So he added a line when he was doing the dubbing, that his ankle was cured by the “human hand-shellfish”.

5. Sanshu was mad when he found out that the director shot the scene where Xiaoge was hit in the head by Fatty outside Yangdaguang’s ancestral hall. So he demand them to reshoot the scene. He also wanted to change some parts of the Mute Village, but the director told him that the whole village, even the temple was exploded down so they could do nothing to refilm those scenes.

Just wanna make a clarification here. The original plan of Reboot was 3 seasons with 72 episodes at the beginning. They cut out 6 episodes, and finally decided to split it into 2 seasons. Nanpai Fanyu and Youku just wanted the series to be aired in more than one season before the weird limitation came out. 

Hello @paopaolong, thank you for always giving information on behind the scene and interviews, it is nice to know any tidbit related to the show and actors. 

I was wondering if you had information on whether they have finished the shooting of all episodes for season 1 and season 2.

Since the shooting went on for so long, I thought they finished the recording all episodes but planned on dividing the  series into two seasons.

But I have been reading mixed comment some saying all the episodes have been shot and some saying season 2 will have new cast (I hope not especially if it's going to be continuation of this story), I really like this cast and story, they are doing wonderful job. So if you any information it will be appreciated. 

Edited by Sahar
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sahar Black said:

Hello @paopaolong, thank you for always giving information on behind the scene and interviews and, it is nice to know any tidbit related to the show and actors. 

I was wondering if you know if they have shot all the episodes for season 1 or season 2, especially when the shooting went on for so long. I have read mixed comment some saying all the episodes have been shot and some saying season 2 will have new cast (I hope not especially if it's going to be continuation of this story), I really like this cast and story, they are doing wonderful job. So, if you any information it will be appreciated. 

Yes, they shot season 1 and 2 altogether. They originally shot 72 episodes, and it’s just divided into two seasons, so for season 2 the cast will be the same. 

Nanpai Sanshu said he started preparing for Reboot since 2017. They started filming in October 2018, and wrapped up in April 2019. It took them over one year to do the post production and editing. The scenes they filmed were enough for over 80 episodes. With the editing and sensorship limitation, they finally cut the series to 66 episodes, with 32 in season 1 and 34 in season 2.

It’s a long and tiring process for the whole production. When ZYL was filming, he said that he had a feeling that they would never be able to finish filming.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, paopaolong said:

Yes, they shot season 1 and 2 altogether. They originally shot 72 episodes, and it’s just divided into two seasons, so for season 2 the cast will be the same. 

Nanpai Sanshu said he started preparing for Reboot since 2017. They started filming in October 2018, and wrapped up in April 2019. It took them over one year to do the post production and editing. The scenes they filmed were enough for over 80 episodes. With the editing and sensorship limitation, they finally cut the series to 66 episodes, with 32 in season 1 and 34 in season 2.

It’s a long and tiring process for the whole production. When ZYL was filming, he said that he had a feeling that they would never be able to finish filming.

Thank you so much @paopaolong I started watching this show because of ZYL, and he is doing an impressive job in his portrayal as Wu Xie in a genuine, natural manner, and the chemistry between Iron triangle is amazing whether its the sad scenes, emotional scenes, or the comedic scene between Wu Xie and Fatty, they seem like brothers or really good friends. I ended up loving all the actors and the relationship between all the characters. Aside from some draggy scenes the show itself is great, the acting, directing, music, cinematography, mixture of high and low moments, its like watching a movie. (I am also thankful IQIY has eng subs). 

That's why I got worried about the change of the cast. So thank you so much for taking the time and answering my question. 

Edited by Sahar
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Strange Stranger said:

Black Glasses needs the teases and the old lady is cute and sad.  I do like her.

Yeah, I am hoping it doesn't turn romantic.  He's got more than enough on his plate to add a romance to, but now Fatty is looking at some possible stuff too.  I just not sure about his side stuff and I'm still waiting to see where Zhang Qiling went off to.

It is a bit worrisome that they are going down the “everyone got to find a love interest”, which often doesn’t make the plot/story move forward. And on that cut out essential story beats, like the the climbing up the rope scene. Which ends with us have to figure out in our minds what exactly Wu Xie did to help them.

I am holding on to hope that they won't do it too much. 

13 hours ago, paopaolong said:

Another thing they mentioned during the hotpot livestream is the “smiley Xiao Ge”. Nanpai Sanshu said for most Zhang Qiling’s scenes they filmed two versions: one with smiles and one without the smile. In Sanshu’s opinion, Xiao Ge is more like a “god”, who should not smile too much. But when they edited the series, the editors said: “Xiao Ge’s too painful, why not just let him smile.” Sanshu was convinced and let them used the smiley version. 

It turned out to be right. Probably ten years ago, Zhang Qiling should not smile. But Reboot took place after the iron triangle’s retirement in the Rainy Village. Xiao Ge has been “turned to human” by Wu Xie and Fatty. Instead to be cold and cool, he has a warm feeling now.

And it also makes sense that Xiao Ge’s smile is only for Wu Xie and Fatty. He doesn’t smile at all to others, even to his fan Liu Sang, he still remains the cool god-like image.

Always nice when the production have a open mind and let the actor explore the roll. :issohappy:

10 hours ago, paopaolong said:

I really need to watch this. I've seen it pop up but have been holding off on a lot of the bts clips because I sometimes run into spoilers. But I like that they allowed the smiling Qiling. It shows the closeness between the trio thanks to their adventures together. 

• Like 1

I’m on episode 19, and weird zombie Princess seems to enjoying life outside the tomb.  Things are looking up since getting flayed alive and turned into a human doll for a narcissistic father’s human sacrifice. ‬

‪I think I’ve got the details right... ‬

but what is with Wu Xie using force on girls and them acting as if nothing happened?

• Like 1