[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

This show is really not easy to sub as the production team uses a lot of literary devices and historical references. One phrase may require an entire paragraph of supporting notes to fully convey it’s meaning and do justice to the beauty of the lyrical prose used in the show. Translations are also subject to personal interpretation. Even the meanings or intentions of original Chinese verses can be heavily debated, let alone translations.

Kudos to @bluehibiscus for always putting in the effort to provide insightful recaps and I respect and appreciate your personal voice even if we may not always agree :) 

Meanwhile, viewers who are waiting for subs or translations, do be patient. This drama is meant to be slowly savoured and ruminated upon. Sometimes the emotions get too overwhelming for me as well and I’ve had my fair share of disappointments but ultimately I’m still holding on. I rewatch episodes from time to time to glean new perspectives as well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, there are some points I am still puzzled. My understanding of the drama based on the English sub title so please help me.

1 Why did the emperor closed out the door 3 years ago? Is it the scheme to kill the previous empress and somehow they foresee Gus would do something like faking the military order so they can remove the military power from them?

2 In the examination case, how did the number of copies tell Xu Chang Ping is the betrayal?

Thank you!!

On 1/3/2020 at 1:23 PM, Pie39 said:

@bluehibiscus after that scene what cp say to dian shuai, is that scene cp watch the room n say something...what it is..can you give some translate pls..thx before...

Ep 54 (after doing Wenxi’s hair)

CP: Dian Shuai, is this considered...confiscating the property?

DS: (to his subordinates) Search the bedchamber. (To CP) It is to collect samples of Your Highness’ handwriting.

CP: There aren’t any in the bedchambers. There are a few left in this hall. Haven’t I already confessed?

DS: That is oral testimony. We need material evidence—

CP: Looks like you’re really treating me as—

DS: —and witnesses.

That gives CP pause. He stands. 

CP: What?

DS: Arrest that female commoner by the surname of Gu.

Guards: Yes!

CP puts out a hand to halt them.

CP: Dian Shuai, what are you trying to do?

DS: That night, she left the residence.

CP: At my bidding.

DS: Then she and Your Highness are accomplices.

CP: Is this His Majesty’s idea or your idea?

DS: His Majesty personally appointed me to be in charge of the investigation of this case.

CP: Then this sinner (means himself) is not able to stop the order of Chief Investigator.

DS starts to leave but freezes at CP’s next words.

CP: Wu De Hou...Did he meet with him after the morning court session? Handing this sinner over to Chief Investigator instead of the Three Legal Divisions, isn’t the purpose to use me as a pawn to exchange for more important things?

DS: Please exercise caution in your words.

CP: Then he will want a pawn that’s alive.

DS: Why is Your Highness—?

CP: What does Chief Investigator think? If a sinner were to commit suicide out of guilt, would he really need that hairpin? (He is threatening to kill himself)

DS: Why are you protecting her?

CP: A person you wish to protect, even if you have no power, doesn’t Dian Shuai have one?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Rose Antwi said:

Just an observation. In ep 55 at the Emperor Banquet. Did anyone notice the Emperors look towards the empty chair of CP and the look he gave Prince Qi. Also, when Prince Qi made a toast the Emperor looked reluctant to accept it. I think it just dawned on the Emperor that his favourite son was a evil person. 

I think he’s thinking of CP. He is aware of Qi’s faults and he already knows what Qi did to manipulate ZLZ.

OMG I just saw ep 32!!! Can someone help me, did CP accidentally circled the wrong name for Lu Ying and his son to get killed??!!!

Or did minister Zhang purposely did that?!!! OMG!!!!! Poor WX :(!!!!! Watching at this point so far, I feel so sad for WX and her family. They are so innocent in all of this. 

Would it be fair to say by watching the trailers that Wenxi offered CP a chance to course correct back to the virtues path of his teacher? And that the so called conflict of values between teacher Lu and the Emperor that teacher has won and Emperor has lost? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, rosierosie said:

OMG I just saw ep 32!!! Can someone help me, did CP accidentally circled the wrong name for Lu Ying and his son to get killed??!!!

Or did minister Zhang purposely did that?!!! OMG!!!!! Poor WX :(!!!!! Watching at this point so far, I feel so sad for WX and her family. They are so innocent in all of this. 

In ep 32, Cp is in charge of resolve the Li Baizhou's case. According to the law in this era, the criminal (LBZ) have to be executed with his 3 generations. Our CP are only circles the 3 types of generations of the Li clan who must  be executed. It is Zang LuZhen who added the name of Lu Ying and his son in LBZ geanology, in order to frame them to death. 

And yes, ep 32 is a heart breaking time for fans :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rose Antwi said:

Would it be fair to say by watching the trailers that Wenxi offered CP a chance to course correct back to the virtues path of his teacher? And that the so called conflict of values between teacher Lu and the Emperor that teacher has won and Emperor has lost? Just a thought.

If it is from the trailer, the word she have said in the bathing scene is: "Even if it hurts you, I hope that you will remain as an enthusiastic and righteous person", and also "What ever it may comes, you always have an opportunity to bailed out." Based on the analyse of @bluehibiscus, she has already planned to take all the rap for the letter from CP, in order to avoiding any kind of wrongdoing and also take down ZLZ before it is too late, after what he have convey in the message to ZLZ. Hence, what she have said in the trailer is a final "alert" to the CP, and maybe a reminder for the virtual value he have obtained from teacher Lu, to correct himself in the future,.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Halobubble said:

Can anyone tell me if and when does the Crown Prince realise Lu Wenxi’s true identity? 

Spoiler

In episodes 53, when CP have to confront the Emperor and other court's offficial, when the head of the Three Department questioning him about Lu Ying's case, the officer have mentionned the supposed engagement between Wenxi and CP. While remebering about who could be the one who have his personal stamp, plus the mention above, CP realised it is Wenxi who is the beloved daughter of Lu Ying, and the reason behind her betrayal toward him. He now understanded that she want to revenge for her family.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

1) He was complimenting WX’s hair.

2) He believed things would have been different on Mid Autumn Festival if his mother were still alive. 

3) The beating was very agonising. He described what he felt during the beating.

4) He injured his hand when he bit it to avoid screaming during the beating. He wasn’t pretending to be unable to write to make her write the letter to ZLZ (earlier she had accused him during the bathing scene of teaching her to write in Zong Zheng Si because he planned to make her the scapegoat. He denied it and explained he had taught her because she did have the talent for it).

5) He didn’t put his seal on the letter because it was easier to deny the letter was written by him if ZLZ decided to use it against him.

6) He didn’t want her to feel bad about getting him into trouble so he said if something had happened, he would have gladly let her take the blame and he did not regret thinking that.

7) He still called her Ah Bao - it was his way of expressing she was his precious treasure.

Thanks @bluehibiscus for the summary! But I would like to talk about for th 6th point. I do think CP have thought about sacrified Wenxi if ZLZ busted him in the court. Because in his monologue in ep 54, he have said that "all of my words are true-hearted". The exeception he have mentionned that he will unmoved when he think about her in his dream, which is a lie. I think he have already planned to make Wenxi his scapegoat, with the price of her being his other nightmare. After all,  he have sacrified/disappointed other people, so why not her, a low-valued servant in the Eastern Palace, even if he have some affection for her?

For all of your other points, it maked my eyes sores. :(

• Awesome 1

On 1/3/2020 at 8:19 AM, fattyfingers said:

According to Douban, the score is 7.3 :) I could not found an offficial rating for each episode :(

Is that a good rating?  I’ve read that some viewers dropped the drama due to CP’s incessant crying and choppy storyline midway through the series. 

Any idea how it’s doing against other dramas airing at the same time?  I guess it’s hard to compare/compete as the other drama had young idol-like stars. Royal Nirvana is such a difficult drama to watch, but so rewarding. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fattyfingers said:

Thanks @bluehibiscus for the summary! But I would like to talk about for th 6th point. I do think CP have thought about sacrified Wenxi if ZLZ busted him in the court. Because in his monologue in ep 54, he have said that "all of my words are true-hearted". The exeception he have mentionned that he will unmoved when he think about her in his dream, which is a lie. I think he have already planned to make Wenxi his scapegoat, with the price of her being his other nightmare. After all,  he have sacrified/disappointed other people, so why not her, a low-valued servant in the Eastern Palace, even if he have some affection for her?

For all of your other points, it maked my eyes sores. :(

Reading between the lines, if being completely unmoved by the notion was a lie, then it would be unthinkable for him to make her take the blame as it would give him unbearable regrets. Hence, the rest that followed about her not being special was just to make her hate him so she would not be saddened by his death. His tone when delivering those lines suggested he was speaking against his heart and trying to convince her he was bad.

If you think about it, Gu Sese was clearly special to him or he wouldn’t have risked the Emperor’s wrath twice to save her. Why else would he say she was not special if not to make her hate him?

I believe he was telling the truth when he said he had taught her calligraphy because he felt she had talent. Because she already suspected him of wanting to make a scapegoat out of her, he decided to use that against himself.

• Like 5