[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Royal Nirvana 鹤唳华亭

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, Rose Antwi said:

Just a preview of Ep 50 and 51 its seems CP was conspired against by Empress Zhao, Prince Qi and his Crown Princess father. I think it something to with a song and dance preformed by his new concubine. The Emperor seems enraged and wants to know the instigator. I could be wrong however with 9 episodes to go I think could be in for the final take down of the Empress mafia family and Co. I hoping for a good/ happy ending as director promised. If it a sad ending I will be well annoyed. 

Does WX become his concubine too?

Chen Neiren was always envious of all the women around CP and wanted to hog CP for herself. The servant who assisted WX was sent to the wash house in the earlier episodes due to her jealousy. I would say Chen got her just desserts since she was always trying to kill and harm other innocent girls.

Anyway, here's WX's scheme @aafa83

Spoiler

WX told Prince Qi that she knows Chen Neiren is actually a spy of LBZ faction. When WX was accused of causing miscarriage of CP baby and CP was acting along to bait Li Bai Zhou, Chen threw a bag of 'huazelan' herb as evidence to condemn WX. WX deduced that Jiang must have given both WX and Chen the same herb. WX asked 5P to get rid of Chen who is petty and unreliable due to her feelings for the CP.

Chen later revealed to the CP that it is true and LBZ was holding her entire family hostage but she asserted she never harmed the CP. In WX dialogue with Chen, it was also confirmed that Chen was the one who convinced the CPrincess to attend the feast that led to her poisoning and death. (Does Chen not deserve to die?!)

WX used a metaphor in her witty banter with Prince Qi. She was not interested in the 'little yellow finch' (Chen) but the 'eagle' behind her, thus killing two birds with one stone. In the dialogue itself in Ep44 Qi questioned who was the eagle and it alluded to CP. 5P who was eavesdropping also questioned her if she really wanted to go down this path because he can take her to Changzhou any time to leave all this behind if she's willing to turn back. Her answer is to take his horse and gallop towards the palace. 

At the end of the beating WX's inner voice also echoed the same thoughts: she was afraid that if she couldn't trap the yellow finch she would not be able to capture the... (eagle) and just nice the scene fades when CP comes to stop her beating.

So in Prince Qi's letter the instructions were to eliminate WX as she has knowledge of the miscarriage incident. This letter was dropped just when Chen was the only person serving the CP. Since Chen was caught beating WX almost to death, it was misconstrued as carrying out Prince Qi's instructions to silence her accomplice.

WX really knows how to play up CP insecurity. Having been at the receiving end of his cruelty whenever he suspected her of being a spy, she knows that CP will not forgive or forget those who have double-crossed him. She also knows that Qi will grant her a boon just to have something on CP so she is now acting as Qi's spy.

The way CP treats WX parallels how the Emperor treats CP, with perverse paranoia. Praising followed by whipping and then embracing...After so much abuse, it's about time WX revolts.

Perhaps the scriptwriter purposely intended it to be so, as several lines of dialogue that the maligned CP threw at Emperor were similarly regurgitated by WX to the CP, word for word. CP is behaving and speaking more and more like his father with every episode.

I'm guessing WX will re-enact a revolt to take down the Chancellor again (but this time it is Zhang Lu Zheng), which is analogous to how CP took down LBZ. Will CP plan a revolt of his own against the Emperor? :vicx:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aafa83 said:

Episode 44:

Hide contents

How did WX blackmail Prince Qi to write that letter and what was in it? I actually felt sorry for Chen Neiren...wished she could've just been sent away instead.

Spoiler

She didn’t blackmail him. She offered to be his replacement insider. She compared Chen to a yellow bird and her father had advised her a bird capable of fighting the eagle does not fight with the yellow bird. She did not want to waste her energy on the yellow bird. Chen persuaded the Crown Princess to attend Zhao’s birthday party so she was not completely innocent.

I don’t think the eagle she wants to fight is CP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluehibiscus said:
  Hide contents

If we believe in the scriptwriters' tendencies to subvert appearances vs reality, maybe in front of Qi she is only pretending the eagle is CP :ph34r: she never stated it outright. But if we take this tragedy to the end I would want CP to pay for wronging her family as well.

1 hour ago, Rose Antwi said:

Does that mean she is setting a trap for Prince Qi, the Empress and Co?

I think it is possible.

Spoiler

She mentioned in episodes 43-47 that 'she's had enough', 'she wants all the wrongdoers to pay for their crimes', 'she will endure until it is Winter' and there are several flashbacks of her family. I'm guessing she would want to avenge not just the Crown Princess but also her family, so she has to take down everyone in one fell swoop.

I suddenly feel like things are getting exciting again so I'm going to watch this show to the end.

I’m beginning to feel that the show is bipolar. There’s always this abrupt switch from tender moments between our OTP, to WX being whipped or beaten; and then a sudden shift/switch to politics. 

I’m not sure whether the screen writer realizes that a TV drama is unlike a novel where you live in a world created by a writer’s imagination using words.  With a TV show, you also get the visual and audio effects that amplifies the emotions. That’s probably why the scenes are so abrupt from one extreme to the other. 

The other “nirvana” I’ve watched was Nirvana in Fire, another beautiful period piece. Somehow, you don’t get that swinging pendulum that is Royal Nirvana. 

These constant swings are now the norm, verging on being “over-used”.  :(

• Sad 1

Translation of Qi’s letter found in CP’s bedroom:

It’s a pity the white jade has a slight blemish

Find an opportunity to remove it.

The blemish refers to Wenxi. It was Wenxi’s idea what to write. Initially he had hesitation about writing those words, feeling it would damage his reputation but she said he was merely repeating something he had already said at Zhong Zheng Si within CP’s earshot (Qi had described Wenxi as the Empress’ blemish). Even if he hadn’t used those words, CP recognises Qi’s handwriting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is it. I quit. Whom wants to linger watching a story line being advanced by the continued beating, torture, humiliation and marginalizing of a woman/women?  This back and forth up and down brain bashing is nothing short of mind numbing abuse.  What in goodness name were we hanging out for? A kiss immediately followed by another whipping?  Why does this feel more like domestic abuse?  Is the story line really compelling enough to persevere?  Yes, the CP and father are interesting mirrors of each other - if each gave a little more of what the other needed how much of our WX's blood would be saved?  

Acting: A (CP A+) 

Cinematography/Production: A-/B+ (closed set/sky lighting let you down) 

Writing: D (lost your way - too much freedom not enough structure) 

Directing: F (expensive ego driven use and abuse of exceptional actors, locations, sets and crews) 

Note: big tnx to bluehib for the excellent reviews and analysis.

Edited by SleepPJ
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

50 minutes ago, SleepPJ said:

That is it. I quit. Whom wants to continue to watch a story line being advanced by the continued beating, torture, humiliation and marginalizing of a woman/women?  This back and forth up and down  S & M brain bashing is nothing short of mind numbing abuse.  What in goodness name were we hanging out for? A kiss immediately followed by another whipping? Why does this feel more like domestic abuse?  The story line is not  interesting enough to take any more of this. Yes, the CP and father are mirrors of each other - if each gave a little more of what the other needed how much of WX's blood would be saved?  Not philosophically compelling enough this existential battle of how much should one suffer for the sake of 'doing the right thing'. And why bother painting any fantasy world in such unrelenting  heart wrenching black and white when reality sits in the gray? It was a lot to forgive the writer/director of Tribes & Empires for wasting such talent and opportunity - they (neophytes) really did not know better.  But, this mess is an unforgivable waste. 

Acting: A (CP A+) 

Cinematography/Production: A-/B+ (closed set/sky lighting let you down) 

Writing: D (lost your way - too much freedom not enough structure) 

Directing: F/F- (expensive ego driven use and abuse of exceptional actors, locations, set and crew) 

Classification: no need - this falls outside of entertainment. 

Bottom line - shame on the director for adding such darkness to a world already in such need of uplifting. Should not be allowed another shot at a drama or movie (pun intended) . 

Note: big tnx to bluehib for the excellent reviews and analysis. 

I don't know if I missed something earlier on about why WX can't tell CP her real identity and then work together from there... The no. of times she came so close to telling him who she was but decided to stop herself is just infuriating. And it's not like she doesn't have the means to prove it. I do agree that they're overdoing it in terms of beating the living daylights out of WX, but at the same time, if not for CP feeling the occasional fondness and the need to be just (albeit completely missing the mark on several occasions), I'm sure she'd be dead 10x over for the no. of times she has had to bear the responsibility for one crime or another (and then prove herself innocent). Communication is probably something both of them can work on. 

Personally, I'm hanging out for the character development. I can see some potential catalytic events for further development in the trailers for next week's episodes, so I'll be looking forward to that. I'm not too bothered about the general storyline anymore though, since it seems like it's suffering from the cuts somewhat. 

I don't fully agree with some of the other things you mentioned, but it's defo interesting to read strong viewpoints

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, galea said:

I don't know if I missed something earlier on about why WX can't tell CP her real identity and then work together from there... The no. of times she came so close to telling him who she was but decided to stop herself is just infuriating. And it's not like she doesn't have the means to prove it. I do agree that they're overdoing it in terms of beating the living daylights out of WX, but at the same time, if not for CP feeling the occasional fondness and the need to be just (albeit completely missing the mark on several occasions), I'm sure she'd be dead 10x over for the no. of times she has had to bear the responsibility for one crime or another (and then prove herself innocent). Communication is probably something both of them can work on. 

Personally, I'm hanging out for the character development. I can see some potential catalytic events for further development in the trailers for next week's episodes, so I'll be looking forward to that. I'm not too bothered about the general storyline anymore though, since it seems like it's suffering from the cuts somewhat. 

I don't fully agree with some of the other things you mentioned, but it's defo interesting to read strong viewpoints

What is the save count for the spare Qi prince? Isn't he winning?  At least they give him a reason to eventually go bawla bawla. 

CP just? Or is it a shield he uses? Can we really imagine the CP going anywhere near such abhorrent behavior with the CPrincess? 

Edited by SleepPJ

9 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

She didn’t blackmail him. She offered to be his replacement insider. She compared Chen to a yellow bird and her father had advised her a bird capable of fighting the eagle does not fight with the yellow bird. She did not want to waste her energy on the yellow bird. Chen persuaded the Crown Princess to attend Zhao’s birthday party so she was not completely innocent.

wenxi not afraid of anything ... the most feared if the cp does not care about him anymore / leave it ... it might be like that .. with the poetry he uttered and his expression when he saw cp...

i just like this drama...super..:wub:

1 hour ago, Boduboo said:

What is the save count for the spare Qi prince? Isn't he winning?  At least they give him a reason to eventually go bawla bawla. 

CP just? Or is it a shield he uses? Can we really imagine the CP going anywhere near such abhorrent behavior with the CPrincess? 

No clue what you're referring to for Prince Qi. 

"Just" with the context of his own desires. If someone committed a crime, he wants the guilty to be punished. Whenever he punishes WX, it's because he sees a reason to (... or she pissed him off somehow and he's being too spiteful/cruel about retribution, but hey, he's human and certainly not a perfect character).

In reference to a previous comment I made, why would CP treat his crown princess the same way he would treat someone who was initially, in his mind, just an insolent servant? Every time he warms up to her, there's always something new that attacks his trust in her, and like someone said above, the show is swinging back and forth between trust and distrust too often. 

• Like 1

why wenxi did not tell her true identity ... because for wenxi too she lacked trust in the cp, because in the scene she delivered paintings to the cp there she was already disappointed..they both behaved because of their impulses that they could not control right..in one side of disbelief on the other hand strong feelings of love that make them protect each other ... out of their reason, suspicion, anger, disappointment ... they still protect each other .. for wenxi cp actions hit or do not believe It doesn't hurt that much, but when he doesn't care and he's left he really suffers ...
at its core they should protect each other like teacher  lu said ... like a husband and wife relationship ... because that's the only eternal relationship with humans ...

Just to sweet :wub:

• Like 1

Its heartbreaking watching cp whipping wx. One side of me asking why but on the other hand explaining for cp that a human can only take this much and will get crazy for bearing too many rounds of betrayal. A betrayal is a serious offence in a the royal family. Just right after Chen and now Gu. At least he didnt react immediately and  just stayed away from the study room. 

I know its hard to watch but i must say this drama is rather realistic than fairy tale like. I m a sucker for realistic plots and i do not mind sad ending though i m hoping for a happy one for this beautiful otp. 

Atm, I m very curious about Xu motive.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cheerieK said:

Its heartbreaking watching cp whipping wx. One side of me asking why but on the other hand explaining for cp that a human can only take this much and will get crazy for bearing too many rounds of betrayal. A betrayal is a serious offence in a the royal family. Just right after Chen and now Gu. At least he didnt react immediately and  just stayed away from the study room. 

I know its hard to watch but i must say this drama is rather realistic than fairy tale like. I m a sucker for realistic plots and i do not mind sad ending though i m hoping for a happy one for this beautiful otp. 

Atm, I m very curious about Xu motive.

Can you explain more in detail about the betrayal?

Gu?