[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

38 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Well, Dong Hua did have excellent genes. Look at how intelligent Gun Gun is. Chapter three of outtake proved how smart this boy is. Plus the boy was also endowed with genes from his mother -> his empathy. He will grow up to be Dong Hua with a heart of gold. The best of both worlds.

Crane foster parents prefer power though first and foremost, from the way they reacted to Chu Yi's choice of mate. If DH is an ordinary immortal, they'll never look his way as potential son-in-law nor guardian for their youngest child.

LOL, this kinda reminds of what FJ told DH, on what Grandma Fumi felt would be a perfect match for her.

The next person who wielded it was Hou Zhen and the Eight Realms disintegrated like scattered sand again.

Hou Zhen was not leader material in the first place. His main claim to be Tianjun was his previous association to Mo Yuan.

He won that long chess game in the end. Thereafter, because of his presence, even after his retirement, the world of the Eight Realms could finally enjoy peace till the present era.

He gets his very own family too who love him and are loyal to him as much as he does to his wife and son. Plus friends who are true friends. He'll just have to give up his monkish, recluse existence. Also, it's fair enough to think that no one will dare send marriage proposals to him anymore, isn't it? :D 

20 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Ok now I am confused.  So exactly why is Ye Hua getting brought into this at all? 

DH smirked to LS's observations of his nephew leaving so soon the banquet. He knew YH's a very eager groom. :lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Romulan said:

Ok now I am confused.  So exactly why is Ye Hua getting brought into this at all? 

That look was to show us as a viewer that Dong Hua isn't blind or unknowledgable about the physical relationship between 2 married people. It was what Ye Hua was up that Lian Song and Dong Hua was talking about in that scene. Dong Hua was smirking as he was telling Lian Song that he thinks that Ye Hua's strategy of pretending to be drunk and leaving the banquet to go have fun with Bai Qian was excellent...

19 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Crane foster parents prefer power though first and foremost, from the way they reacted to Chu Yi's choice of mate. If DH is an ordinary immortal, they'll never look his way as potential son-in-law nor guardian for their youngest child.

LOL, this kinda reminds of what FJ told DH, on what Grandma Fumi felt would be a perfect match for her.

But I think Feng Jiu misunderstood her grandmother and father on what they were looking for in a potential grandson/son in law. Did you see the look on Bai Yi's face when Dong Hua brought up Feng Jiu's worries to him during the meet the parents meal?  

In the book, her grandmother was a bit worried that her new husband was Dong Hua because no one, not even her grandfather could protect her if Dong Hua ever bullies her (we know it won't happen) so Grandma was truly concerned for her personal well being as well. Grandma Fu Mi is certainly not like Zhi He's parents who were rather self serving. They look upon both foster children as a means to an end. Which is terrible imo.

Hou Zhen was not leader material in the first place. His main claim to be Tianjun was his previous association to Mo Yuan.

Not a claim to Tian Jun, it was a claim to be the Master of Heaven and Earth. After Dong Hua became the true Master of Heaven and Earth, he selected a new Tian Jun, gave him the reins of power and then retired thereafter. You could say he was the King maker of Heavenly Lords. But he is still the power behind the throne.

He gets his very own family too who love him and are loyal to him as much as he does to his wife and son. Plus friends who are true friends. He'll just have to give up his monkish, recluse existence. Also, it's fair enough to think that no one will dare send marriage proposals to him anymore, isn't it? :D 

Totally agree with you. And I love his thoughts in this scene here in the outtake:

"Beautiful, intelligent, and sometimes a little silly, but regardless of the circumstances, she would always be so heartbreakingly thoughtful. This was the girl he would spend the rest of his existence with, at a very very late period in the set course of his life. His heart shivered lightly, and he could not help but caress her on her forehead."

• Love 1
  • Wiggle 1

20 minutes ago, Ninky said:

But I think Feng Jiu misunderstood her grandmother and father on what they were looking for in a potential grandson/son in law. Did you see the look on Bai Yi's face when Dong Hua brought up Feng Jiu's worries to him during the meet the parents meal?  

FJ in her youth and desire to be filial to her elders didn't realize that Grandma Fumi's criteria for excellent husband isn't set in stone, and that her family can be flexible too with her choice of a husband. :)

I actually find that dinner funny, coz Bai Yi was reminded of something he said which he never expected to hear repeated back to him. By DH of all people.

25 minutes ago, Ninky said:

In the book, her grandmother was a bit worried that her new husband was Dong Hua because no one, not even her grandfather could protect her if Dong Hua ever bullies her (we know it won't happen) so Grandma was truly concerned for her personal well being as well. Grandma Fu Mi is certainly not like Zhi He's parents who were rather self serving. They look upon both foster children as a means to an end. Which is terrible imo.

She's a doting grandmother, and she got a wise daughter too, who was able to calm her fears on FJ's husband.

30 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Not a claim to Tian Jun, it was a claim to be the Master of Heaven and Earth. After Dong Hua became the true Master of Heaven and Earth, he selected a new Tian Jun, gave him the reins of power and then retired thereafter. You could say he was the King maker of Heavenly Lords. But he is still the power behind the throne.

Gotcha. Tsk, he's really ambitious, but runs to DH to handle the wars. Like he didn't learn anything from the first war (unless he's replaced before the war against the demons), since it's still DH who would lead them later on in the next wars.

• Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, Megan said:

It took me a while to recognize the sword dance but apparently the song where Dong Hua summons his sword during Yan Chiwu’s trial for bride theft is not in the OST

does the OST have the competition flute/qin duets ?

4 hours ago, Megan said:

It took me a while to recognize the sword dance but apparently the song where Dong Hua summons his sword during Yan Chiwu’s trial for bride theft is not in the OST

That's quite a dramatic BGM. It's a shame it wasn't included for official public release. 

Translating the part where she was making a din on the wedding night of Chu Yi and her lover. Poor Feng Jiu. It was a scene where I don't know if I wanted to laugh or cry because I felt both emotions at the same time.

I mean her actions were funny, but her emotions were not. Only Tang Qi can make me feel two emotions equally at the same time!

There is a saying: "醉酒见人心" - One can see a person's deepest desires of the heart when they are drunk.

How true is that?

Sigh...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Translating the part where she was making a din on the wedding night of Chu Yi and her lover. Poor Feng Jiu. It was a scene where I don't know if I wanted to laugh or cry because I felt both emotions at the same time.

Though FJ did not agree with DH to have another marriage ceremony when they reconciled, coz it's "strange", deep inside she wishes that her own wedding had good and happy memories.

17 minutes ago, Ninky said:

There is a saying: "醉酒见人心" - One can see a person's deepest desires of the heart when they are drunk.

How true is that?

There's a Latin phrase equivalent: in vino veritas - truth in wine

When a person is drunk, he/she tells the truth. I'd agree there's truth to it, since people lose their inhibitions while under influence of alcohol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

How true is that?

Sigh...

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

There's a Latin phrase equivalent: in vino veritas - truth in wine

When a person is drunk, he/she tells the truth. I'd agree there's truth to it, since people lose their inhibitions while under influence of alcohol.

There is one problem with that..when you have a high alcohol tolerance you dont get any major reveals. (For me at least, worse I get is amused about stuff and get tired. 

But Ive seen that be the case for many friends that I have witnessed. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Romulan said:

There is one problem with that..when you have a high alcohol tolerance you dont get any major reveals. (For me at least, worse I get is amused about stuff and get tired. 

But Ive seen that be the case for many friends that I have witnessed. 

Feng Jiu is like a college aged young girl, it's probably why she is like this but then again nine tailed foxes do like to drink until they are totally intoxicated. Bai Qian was the same.

And anyone as excited as me about Chapter 7's release. Won't be too long, probably in a few days. I am working on all remaining chapters at the same time so I can get them all penned before I get back to work. Then they get thoroughly edited before they are posted one by one at different times!

@Romulan haven't seen you too much lately :). Busy?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Feng Jiu is like a college aged young girl, it's probably why she is like this but then again nine tailed foxes do like to drink until they are totally intoxicated. Bai Qian was the same.

And anyone as excited as me about Chapter 7's release. Won't be too long, probably in a few days. I am working on all remaining chapters at the same time so I can get them all penned before I get back to work. Then they get thoroughly edited before they are posted one by one at different times!

@Romulan haven't seen you too much lately :). Busy?

True that! on the drinking.

Very excited for the next chapters! 

Sorta,  got the Covid shot, so that knocked me out for most of 1 day and alot of the other. I went to visit my grandmother in FL for the weekend, do some yardwork/house maintenance stuff,  and also  to take her to Thai temple for the Thai New Year celebration. (my sister came too)  Unfortunately its still very scaled back at the moment due to Co-Vid safety restrictions.  But I did get to try out some very delicious foods. Meet the temple cats, and participate in some of the stuff.  (i can share some photos if people are interested. Then drive back to GA. (its usually about an 8hr drive when I do it) and a very crazy and busy work week mixed with getting a dbl ear infection has sorta put me out of commission for most of this pass week. 

Also I got to learn my grandmother's Thai Watermelon soup recipe. (and we figured out how to make it vegan so that I could share it with my room-mate.) 

My grandmother has told me she wants me to be able to play The Untamed flute music when i visit in the summer.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

@Romulan Wow, it has been a full on week or two for you!

Take care and don't fall sick!

Better rest well after that 8 hour drive.

And wow the Thai Watermelon soup sounds good!

It would be really refreshing, yes?

That would be nice if you are to do that for your grandma!

Do you play the flute then?

I have played the piano and electone organ myself on a performance level in my teens.

Was in a scholarship programme with Yamaha Music School in my teens and still play leisurely now.

Artistic stuff is my forte :D. But I am a duff at things like mathematics. 

• Awesome 1
  • Wiggle 1

@Romulan Oh wow, it was a long drive, but pretty sure more than worth it! You must have had a good time with your sister and grandma. :) I'm quite curious with the watermelon soup, cos the fruit is in season here now. 

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

Chapter 7 will have a lot of notes to read as some of the idioms need further explanation. 

So take note of this.

It's a long chapter, and also the most rollercoaster of feelings chapter. Thanks in advance for the notes! It would be very helpful for understanding the meanings of Chinese idioms used in the story. 

50 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

@Romulan Oh wow, it was a long drive, but pretty sure more than worth it! You must have had a good time with your sister and grandma. :) I'm quite curious with the watermelon soup, cos the fruit is in season here now. 

It's a long chapter, and also the most rollercoaster of feelings chapter. Thanks in advance for the notes! It would be very helpful for understanding the meanings of Chinese idioms used in the story. 

There are a ton of idioms in Chapter 7 and some of the explanations are detailed as I have tried my best to explain exactly what they mean in plain english. Some I translated directly because it made some sense and used notes to explain more, others I had to translate to the correct english and then used notes to explain the idiom., especially if the idiom made no sense on direct translation. 

So it will be quite interesting for those of you out there who are trying to learn this rather difficult language. And some of them you apply the correct meaning in the correct context. 

That's what makes Chinese difficult, it could mean different things in different subtext.

• Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

13 hours ago, Ninky said:

@Romulan Wow, it has been a full on week or two for you!

Take care and don't fall sick!

Better rest well after that 8 hour drive.

And wow the Thai Watermelon soup sounds good!

It would be really refreshing, yes?

That would be nice if you are to do that for your grandma!

Do you play the flute then?

I have played the piano and electone organ myself on a performance level in my teens.

Was in a scholarship programme with Yamaha Music School in my teens and still play leisurely now.

Artistic stuff is my forte :D. But I am a duff at things like mathematics. 

--Wow that takes alot of talent! I love seeing people who have that gift play. 

I last played the flute 21 years ago when i was in HS. I wasnt talented with it but was ok for HS band.  But for my grandmother Im willing to do it again. I actually got a jade open hole flute vs the modern flute I had used in HS.  My grandmother tossed me another wrinkle as she got me an vertical wooden flute with an odd mouthpiece to try (similar to the recorders but a bigger bulb-that one is actually the hardest.)

10 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

It is a bit of a drive but one Ive done alot over the years to see my grandparents. then last year to help my grandmother as my grandfather passed Dec 2019.

The watermelon soup uses both the red and white parts of the melon -the green piece is just peal or chopped off. . its a light soup that uses white onion,red onion,garlic, thai basil, thai peppers, black pepper, soy sauce. (optional extras are ready made chicken broth and fish sauce -but we didnt use either of those to keep it vegan).   Its a less of an exact measurements soup as you adjust a bit for taste. 

9 hours ago, Ninky said:

There are a ton of idioms in Chapter 7 and some of the explanations are detailed as I have tried my best to explain exactly what they mean in plain english. Some I translated directly because it made some sense and used notes to explain more, others I had to translate to the correct english and then used notes to explain the idiom., especially if the idiom made no sense on direct translation. 

So it will be quite interesting for those of you out there who are trying to learn this rather difficult language. And some of them you apply the correct meaning in the correct context. 

That's what makes Chinese difficult, it could mean different things in different subtext.

Woot! thank you the extra work too!  Are any of these idioms ok to use in common phrase or would they look out of context?  (i mightve wanted to call someone ice face recently..)

I did have a good time with my sister and grandmother.  My sister is the one immediately under me and lives in Orlando, Fl. I see her and my grandmother the most often.  So the trio (instead of former quad) of us can get into mischief of some sort now.  

Side question -anyone ever cut bamboo? --any tips are appreciated! there are 2 wild patches in my grandmother's neighborhood and Ive been asked to next time cut some down to turn into an outside bamboo hut/roof for the backyard.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Romulan said:

--Wow that takes alot of talent! I love seeing people who have that gift play. 

I last played the flute 21 years ago when i was in HS. I wasnt talented with it but was ok for HS band.  But for my grandmother Im willing to do it again. I actually got a jade open hole flute vs the modern flute I had used in HS.  My grandmother tossed me another wrinkle as she got me an vertical wooden flute with an odd mouthpiece to try (similar to the recorders but a bigger bulb-that one is actually the hardest.)

Very nice! Definitely play for your grandma. :D

It is a bit of a drive but one Ive done alot over the years to see my grandparents. then last year to help my grandmother as my grandfather passed Dec 2019.

Any drive to see your beloved grandparents is defnitely worth it! And I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing.

I also lost my grandfather in Dec 2019, and sadly my grandmother followed him very closely in January 2020. 

The watermelon soup uses both the red and white parts of the melon -the green piece is just peal or chopped off. . its a light soup that uses white onion,red onion,garlic, thai basil, thai peppers, black pepper, soy sauce. (optional extras are ready made chicken broth and fish sauce -but we didnt use either of those to keep it vegan).   Its a less of an exact measurements soup as you adjust a bit for taste. 

Interesting dish, actually! It is also pretty healthy. Btw I love thai food :D. I am a fan of spicy.

Woot! thank you the extra work too!  Are any of these idioms ok to use in common phrase or would they look out of context?  (i mightve wanted to call someone ice face recently..)

Some of them are commonly used in modern settings. You just need to know which ones to use at the right times :D

Ice face ROFL!

I did have a good time with my sister and grandmother.  My sister is the one immediately under me and lives in Orlando, Fl. I see her and my grandmother the most often.  So the trio (instead of former quad) of us can get into mischief of some sort now.  

Side question -anyone ever cut bamboo? --any tips are appreciated! there are 2 wild patches in my grandmother's neighborhood and Ive been asked to next time cut some down to turn into an outside bamboo hut/roof for the backyard.

Oh that is fun. You and your sister plus grandma! Mischief is always good on the occasion!

And yes about bamboo. My hubby uses a chainsaw as we have several plants that require regular pruning so it doesn't become a wild forest. I haven't seen in axe in use for ages. I have a lot of planted bamboo in my backyard. We have a full on tropical/semi temperate garden.

Oh and Chapter seven. What can I say?

I have laughed and I have cried while translating this chapter. 

I have felt the pain, sadness, sorrow and regret, but also sweetness, happiness, joy and humour. 

It's everything rolled into one.

Oh Tang Qi, why are you such a wonderful writer, and could pen such a masterpiece.

I hope I will do you justice in my translation!

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1