[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

5 hours ago, triplesung said:

Is it just me or this scene wasn't exactly portrayed accurately in the drama. Or was it the translations again.

True. I think the viewers have to really focus and read between the lines. The book was clearer in terms of finer details for DH's decision to fight to death. 

Vengo did a great job during the scene where DH and FJ  met after 200 years. When FJ walked out and DH watched her leave, DH's facial expression broke my heart.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

True. I think the viewers have to really focus and read between the lines. The book was clearer in terms of finer details for DH's decision to fight to death. 

Vengo did a great job during the scene where DH and FJ  met after 200 years. When FJ walked out and DH watched her leave, DH's facial expression broke my heart.

Same. It's still very hard to see the majestic DHDJ in tears.

• Sad 3

27 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

This was one of the best acting of Vengo. You could feel that despite being an emotionless emperor, his eyes showed pain. I kept repeating that part in the episode just because it was so good. And that tear that fell and when he wiped it. It is engraved in my mind.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Same. It's still very hard to see the majestic DHDJ in tears.

It is...to see him so broken, yet trying to keep a brave face in front of FJ and how he held her hand and kissed it. He is forever gentle with FJ. 

5 minutes ago, triplesung said:

This was one of the best acting of Vengo. You could feel that despite being an emotionless emperor, his eyes showed pain. I kept repeating that part in the episode just because it was so good. And that tear that fell and when he wiped it. It is engraved in my mind.

Grrr...that was the one time that I felt upset with FJ. 

Vengo's eyes are so expressive. 

It amuses me how different he is in real life.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

He found his fated mate but couldn't be with her. :bawling: FJ was not seriously studying her magic arts; she might not survive her god trials. He can't bear the thought of waking up after thousands of years, only to find out FJ is forever gone.

When he dies, the Tiancang cage will also be gone with him. DH fears for her, so he carved half his heart out to make her a ring to protect her even after his death.

He worries too much. Her entire family are high gods and all of them will be willing to throw themselves in front of her to help her. But the situation was quite dire then. So plenty of negative thoughts went through his mind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Ninky said:

He worries too much. Her entire family are high gods and all of them will be willing to throw themselves in front of her to help her. But the situation was quite dire then. So plenty of negative thoughts went through his mind.

That is true bais is always protective.  Probably if BQ went and tries to protect FJ, YH might also so step in to help his wife's fav only niece.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ChibiLy said:

It is...to see him so broken, yet trying to keep a brave face in front of FJ and how he held her hand and kissed it. He is forever gentle with FJ. 

Grrr...that was the one time that I felt upset with FJ. 

Vengo's eyes are so expressive. 

It amuses me how different he is in real life.

No wonder their intimate scenes were too gentle to the point where it gives audience butterflies in their tummies :smirk:

When I first watched the BTS scenes (especially with the playful Vengo), all I thought was my image of DHDJ was ruined by Vengo's cheerful personality. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, ChibiLy said:

He did paid his debt and ZH crossed the boundary when she tried to trick DH to marry her.

I honestly felt DH have 0 affection for ZH. Everything he did for her was in the name of obligation. DH made minimum effort, he made sure she was fed and sheltered, that was it. That could be because DH didn't know better, since ZH's parents did the same for him. Although he may have tried to teach ZH in the past and she declined, he didn't seem to care.

For example, how DH cares for FJ vs ZH. 

ZH was spoilt, she does whatever she wants. DH ignored her bad behaviours not because he pampered her, it is because DH did not care what happens to ZH's reputation. So he ignores her and waste no energy to guide her.

However, when FJ wanted to steal the pimpon fruit, DH taught FJ to get the pimpon fruit the right way. Apart from wanting to spend time with FJ, DH wanted to teach FJ to defend herself and reduce the likelihood that she would get in trouble for stealing. 

DH actually went out of his way to teach FJ. He had a word with FJ's teacher, set up the front yard and spent days watching FJ. So this shows DH can be a good teacher.

I think BGG will turn out like ZH.  First of all, BGG is smart and won't make questionable decisions like ZH. Secondly, DH loves BGG. He won't ignore BGG, like he did with ZH. I have no doubt DH will teach BGG well.

Actually, Dong Hua said he did teach Zhi He before in the same conversation about how her parents raised him. It’s just that he heard from others that Zhi He felt that because he is around, she did not feel the need to learn anything. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, triplesung said:

It is similar but the book was much more heartbreaking. He chose to die along with ML even though it was unnecessary because he would rather die than see FJ after tens of thousands of years of deep sleep and she's not beside him. Why is DH such a romantic? 

The Pillow Book novel is better than the show as it has way more details. The “last” meeting and the way Zhong Lin acted when telling the truth to her rocked me more. I still cry reading those two scenes.

I also preferred the final battle in the book. EVEN with the poison and all that, he was still very powerful and really fought to kill Miao Luo. He summoned three different spirit animals and used them aggressively on ML. Feng Jiu also held her own better in the fight as well. She only got slammed by Miao Luo at the end of the fight and not on first go like in the show. 

The tmopb drama has more details of Ye Hua’s pov but the book is clearer for Bai Qian’s POV. They toned Bai Qian down quite a bit. Bai Qian is better portrayed in the novel. Remember how people can’t see why she abandoned her baby boy but I felt every bit of her pain in the prologue in the book as she walked to the execution platform and jumped into it. She was willing to do so to end her misery.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Hamster and others who did the translation for PB were paved the way for many of us to the 3L3W. If English PB is officially released, their version with some proofreading, editing, spelling and translation crosschecking will be more than good enough for publishing.

It's hard to finish Toland's very clinical and cold TMOPB. Not aware if there are other fans who did a complete translation of the first book. Hamster did have a version, but the link for that has been removed.

I think hamster’s version was fairly comprehensive. It has brought the novel into the realm of the English speaking world and is a godsend to people who are unable to read the original text.!

However Hamster’s version has some sections heavily paraphrased and lost their intended impact in the original language.

I can see that it is partly influenced by the way hamster saw the characters while she was translating it. For example formal language when Di Jun speaks, when he actually chose to speak using a normal tone and using words like you and I would have in a regular chinese conversation.

He was doing so as he unconsciously felt really comfortable with Feng Jiu so much so that he showed his true personality when he is with her - like how he likes to tease her on and off. It will need to be heavily edited for context to the original text written by Tang Qi.

Tang Qi needs to find a better translator than Toland if she ever publishes an English translated version of 三生三世枕上书 (Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book)。And don’t change the title like she allowed with TMOPB. It lost the meaning of the original story title when To the Sky Kingdom was used.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

36 minutes ago, triplesung said:

No wonder their intimate scenes were too gentle to the point where it gives audience butterflies in their tummies :smirk:

When I first watched the BTS scenes (especially with the playful Vengo), all I thought was my image of DHDJ was ruined by Vengo's cheerful personality. 

I liked how gentle they are with each other, such as FJ playing with DH's hair. DH hand on FH's waist and how they like to stroke each others face.

I understand how some viewers think they lack the explosive passion, but their gentle interactions made it more intimate to me, that isn't just about sexual attraction, it is because they love each other so much, they like to be physically close to each other. 

I know right! DHDJ was totally ruined. But I love Vengo's cheerful and easy going nature. SRX's personality seems more like Vengo. Watching Vengo's clip always cracks me up. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

7 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

Wild beasts is vague, whereas specifying which creatures want to devour him packs more punch.

I assume his foster parents' home was nearby or also in Bihai Cangling?

DH and FJ are so alike when it comes to gratitude. They don't shirk in paying back. :)

The immortals used to live everywhere , sometimes on immortal mountains, so I assume they must seen what happened and took him home and raised him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, triplesung said:

Actually that gentleness is on point to the book. Feng Jiu frequently described Dong Hua’s touch as “treating her  like something really precious”. 

• Love 4

3 hours ago, Ninky said:

I think hamster’s version was fairly comprehensive. It has brought the novel into the realm of the English speaking world and is a godsend to people who are unable to read the original text.!

However Hamster’s version has some sections heavily paraphrased and lost their intended impact in the original language.

I can see that it is partly influenced by the way hamster saw the characters while she was translating it. For example formal language when Di Jun speaks, when he actually chose to speak using a normal tone and using words like you and I would have in a regular chinese conversation.

He was doing so as he unconsciously felt really comfortable with Feng Jiu so much so that he showed his true personality when he is with her - like how he likes to tease her on and off. It will need to be heavily edited for context to the original text written by Tang Qi.

Tang Qi needs to find a better translator than Toland if she ever publishes an English translated version of 三生三世枕上书 (Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book)。And don’t change the title like she allowed with TMOPB. It lost the meaning of the original story title when To the Sky Kingdom was used.

I'd love another translation of TMOPB. 

Because right now, between Toland's version and auto translate, I'll choose the auto translate.:lol: I would be having fun deciphering the auto translated text. The other can send me to Dreamland.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

Actually that gentleness is on point to the book. Feng Jiu frequently described Dong Hua’s touch as “treating her  like something really precious”. 

I suppose he is very gentle with her except when they're in bed since she can't ehem get up for days? :joy:

• Like 1
  • Naughty 5
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, chsaf said:

I suppose he is very gentle with her except when they're in bed since she can't ehem get up for days? :joy:

He probably has a rather good appetite for that activity. He is a god who can spend days in a fight, of course he would tire her out...:naughty:

• Like 1
  • Naughty 1
  • LOL 6

29 minutes ago, Ninky said:

He probably has a rather good appetite for that activity. He is a god who can spend days in a fight, of course he would tire her out...:naughty:

*cough* luckily he has a young and playful wife.

• Like 1
  • Naughty 3
  • LOL 2

11 hours ago, ChibiLy said:

So true. FJ gave him unconditional love. FJ looked past his DJ status and loved DH for the man he is. 

That's probably why when FJ disappeared, DH lost the will live. 

Thanks Ninky for your beautiful explanation. Your posts fuels my DH and FJ obsession!

If DH is real, I would have give him unconditional love too! The question is.. Would he wants me? If I am not FJ.. He won't.. Ha ha

• LOL 3
  • Love 1